These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

This was not the update I was expecting, but I am as much on the edge of my seat as I would be IRL (okay maybe not quite since I live in OTL New England, but still!).

6B4gqE0.png
I was expecting a response but ICBMs were not the kind I thought they’d open with

The fact those bombings in London occurred weeks into the conflict means either the plans and methods had been in place prior to the civil war, or Hogan sent sleepers in with refugees. We know that the US doesn't have nukes, and they probably don't have much of a bioweapons program, but dirty bombs and chemical weapons are easily within their industrial capacity. Makes me wonder what was on the missiles that weren't intercepted, because even one VX-like missile strike on a southern NE city would hamstring a military response.

If Hogan is desparate enough (ie, if the Empire starts landing troops in the American Midwest or rolls into New York State), you can bet he'll escalate. It's like our world's discussion of Kim Jong Un: push him into a corner, make him *feel* that his regime's about to die (and so is he personally) and that he can choose between dying with foreign soldiers in his capital, or dying with nuclear warheads (or chemical stockpiles ITTL) obliterating not just his capital but the enemy's too.

If Hogan is desparate enough (ie, if the Empire starts landing troops in the American Midwest or rolls into New York State), you can bet he'll escalate. It's like our world's discussion of Kim Jong Un: push him into a corner, make him *feel* that his regime's about to die (and so is he personally) and that he can choose between dying with foreign soldiers in his capital, or dying with nuclear warheads (or chemical stockpiles ITTL) obliterating not just his capital but the enemy's too.
This assumes. of course, that a few generals decide that Hogan needs to "retire due to medical reasons."

That was.... an utterly insane decision for the Americans to make. Really, to attack without warning one of the worlds preeminent powers, while you yourself are embroiled in a civil war you have no guarantee of winning, thereby instantly solidifying a third of the planet on the side of the rebels. This gave the British a cast-iron excuse to invade, that no one can possibly object to, and perhaps invite Russian and Japanese support too.
Really, its almost as if a third party launched those attacks.......
But that couldn't possibly happen right. Right?

Last edited:
Actually, how are the relations between the superpowers of the UK, Russia and Japan? On a scale of OTL USA and India (friendly competition) to USA and China (rivals squaring off but with significant trade links) to USA and Russia (actively hostile powers working against each other without actual war)?

That was.... an utterly insane desiscion for the Americans to make. Really, to attack without warning one of the worlds preeminent powers, while you yourself are embroiled in a civil war you have no guarantee of winning, thereby instantly solidifying a third of the planet on the side of the rebels. This gave the British a cast-iron excuse to invade, that no one can possibly object to, and possibly invite Russian and Japanese support too.
Really, its almost as if a third party launched those attacks.......
But that couldn't possibly happen right. Right?
Possibly a third power. More than likely Hogan finally decided to cut whatever dangling threads of sanity he had left.

Did I miss something here? Surely the US is more concerned with seperatists on its own soil than foreign adversaries at the moment. And if the Empire is supporting the seccessionists, why not strike at the supply lines or something instead? Sink a ship or two?