Victoria 3!!!

Interesting theory: this might actually lead to HOI4 modding taking a hit- TNO was planned by Panzer to be a Vicky II mod to begin with, after all, and if there's better mod support (which is almost a given, Paradox is clearly aware that modding keeps them raking in cash) it's rather likely that the more ambitious projects without the prior framework (unlikely that TNO is going to move over now, given that they've basically added a version of the economy into the game) will attempt to fuck with the more complex franchise that has up-to-date mod support.
The real issue with porting TNO to Victoria 3 is that its storytelling and emotional experience is so tied to national focuses that a Victoria 3 mod would basically end up being a whole new thing. I think a version of TNO based on Victoria 3 could be cool, but it would be a fundamentally different, more sandboxy, less narratively and thematically driven experience from the HOI4 mod.

Can't wait til we get a fully compatible CK3 -> EU5 -> Vic3 converter tbh

I always wanted to see how my matriarchal Irish kingdom would fare in the 1800s
Then my life really would be complete ;-)

I honestly can't wait to play as the Sikh Empire in Victoria III. Though because its paradox I'm not gonna pre-order, but I'm going to wait a while until all the bugs and kinks are worked out.
Aren't the Sikhs a tad tricky to play as, considering they have to face down Russia, Perisa and Britain?

Me I may be interested in playing as the U.S. if they simulate the Texan War of Independence better than on Viky II or I may just play as the UK again.

The real issue with porting TNO to Victoria 3 is that its storytelling and emotional experience is so tied to national focuses that a Victoria 3 mod would basically end up being a whole new thing. I think a version of TNO based on Victoria 3 could be cool, but it would be a fundamentally different, more sandboxy, less narratively and thematically driven experience from the HOI4 mod.
Yeah, I'm not saying that there'll be a port, but I expect the next big ah mod for a paradox game to be for VkIII.

Do y’all have any thoughts on what nations to play first?

Too early, yeah, but I’d probably choose Japan as my first playthrough; I’ve always been fascinated with the Meiji Revolution and how this tiny island nation managed to modernize enough to beat Russia and become pretty much the only non-European country to join the world stage on anything close to equal terms... Oh, and of course, starting a world war. Really excited to play the game when it finally comes out...

Too early, yeah, but I’d probably choose Japan as my first playthrough; I’ve always been fascinated with the Meiji Revolution and how this tiny island nation managed to modernize enough to beat Russia and become pretty much the only non-European country to join the world stage on anything close to equal terms... Oh, and of course, starting a world war. Really excited to play the game when it finally comes out...
It'd be nice to redo the first three games I did, Canada, Austria, and Zulu (in that order).

I'm really excited by the expansion and development of these unrecognized nations and the changes to colonization. These new diplomatic actions seem like a big improvement over crises, not that I didn't like those.

Afghanistan I find makes for an often times interesting game, what with being sandwiched between Persia and a largely British controlled India, not to mention Russia slowly encroaching from the north. Also I find becoming a middle power(or possibly even great power) from starting as an uncivilized minor in Africa is always fun. Or Mexico if for no other reason than the challenge of having to fend off the US.

My first game will likely be Japan but I might do France. I had a really fun Vic 2 game as France that ended with me against most of Europe (well the parts I hadn’t burnt to the ground). I got Napoleon’d at the end but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

IMO the biggest problem with mana is that it's a pool rather than flow system- meaning that it's a fire and forget thing, rather than something you need to constantly pay attention to.
The biggest problem with a flow system is that it's something you constantly need to pay attention to.

Victoria II gets away with it because it is really an economy sim with an occasional outbreak of war and rebellion. Imperator was Vici-fied and whilst it's a solid game now I'm not sure how fun it is.

If all the Paradox Grand Sim games get Vici-fied then Paradox's fan base will shrink considerably as will their profits.

I am moderately hyped for V3. Always thought V2 was the Paradox game with the most unused potential (especially now that Imperator was getting on tracks). Most announced changes I see as genuine potential improvemnts, like the more sensible way underdeveloped countries are to be depicted or the regional markets. Especially the latter should inrease accessibility greatly. Have more of a wait-and-see approach to the change on DLC policy they implied to make less, but larger DLCs. May or may not turn out to be true, but probably each DLC will be more expensive. At least the idea to wait on making decentralized nations in V3 playable only after the base game seems sensible to me. Those would not work well with the same mechanics as Prussia or Japan and forcing e.g. the Maori into those with the base game could only be disappointing. But there is so much potential for a better representation than in V2 at some point: I would love to cope with the end of the transatlantic slave trade and approaching European coloniesers as Dahomey for example.
The biggest problem with a flow system is that it's something you constantly need to pay attention to.

Victoria II gets away with it because it is really an economy sim with an occasional outbreak of war and rebellion. Imperator was Vici-fied and whilst it's a solid game now I'm not sure how fun it is.

If all the Paradox Grand Sim games get Vici-fied then Paradox's fan base will shrink considerably as will their profits.
I´ve always thought that generating monarch power each month and spending it once it reached a certain point was a stupid and needlessly complicated concept in EUIV. In Imperator Rome it was even worse initially, because you could not even influence the generation.
Had I designed that, it would have been more like for example the population cap in Age of Empires: The Bureaucracy of your country is capable of baseline administrative actions. Building bureaucratic buildings increases that limit as does new tech or the right advisers. And enforcing certain laws and maintaining buildings again requires administrative action, meaning you can´t have more than a set number of those at the same time. To illustrate that with an example:
Baseline is 100. You build 2 courthouses, each raising the limit by 5. You also have an adviser that raises it by 10% and advanced administrative tech raises it by another 10%. Gives you 132 administrative actions. Your currently active laws and edicts cover 50 actions, you have 3 forts each requiring 20 actions, thus you have 22 free actions. Now you want to build a stock exchange, but it would need 30 free administrative actions. So, do you decommission a fort, repeal some edicts or wait for improvements that raise your administrative capability or lower administrative requirements? Seems a much easier to grasp, more realistic and logical system. BTW, I would also reduce the use of said points in diplomacy in EU, instead requiring you to spend prestige (and introduce more alternative methods of gaining that, like maintaining cultural institutions at monetary and administrative cost).

Last edited:
Let's have real anarchists represented in the game, not "anarcho-liberals" which should NOT be called that.
And let's have the ability to play as non-state actors.

Let's have real anarchists represented in the game, not "anarcho-liberals" which should NOT be called that.
I like the idea of non-state actors. Giant companies, NGOs, maybe the league of nations. Might be a DLC like merchant republics in ck2.
I'd also like to see nomadic groups like the Sama-Bajau

How about not having your country explode into rebellion from various groups at the drop of a hat in the mid to late game? I could get behind that.

EDIT: It’s like if you really smash a country like Russia a couple times they get stuck in a loop of going fascist or communist over and over.

How about not having your country explode into rebellion from various groups at the drop of a hat in the mid to late game? I could get behind that.

EDIT: It’s like if you really smash a country like Russia a couple times they get stuck in a loop of going fascist or communist over and over.
ye, once I took like a third of Prussia and sphered them, their constant rebellions became a more persistent threat to my sphere than the prospect of them regaining GP status. And then I finally formed super Germany and everything was lovely once again~