Base Map & Resource Index

It's pretty good but I recommend settings the number of points above 60k because otherwise the coasts look pretty bland.

Yep, but at least there are plenty of settings to fiddle with. I've stuck it at 20k for experiments or scribbles, but when I start working on a serious setting I'll dial it up.

Calculating climate zones is time consuming, but it turns out a computer can do it pretty quickly these days. The river and lake generator is fine, we just need to draw in any lakes above sea level for ourselves.

The states and cultures and religions generator can throw up some interesting mixes, like maybe capital city is one culture, but the state is mostly another, while the religion comes from outside the region, suggesting a whole swathe of history that you could embellish.

Also - I would play the heck out of a civilization type game that used this to generate the maps. It doesn't even look too difficult to code something like Civilization or Imperialism or even a paradox-a-like into it, now that someone has already done the hard parts ; ) I myself lack the coding skills to do it, but it's not an impossible project for someone who is learning.

I hate to necro (albeit this is a pinned thread) , but @hadaril could you please add this African resource to the database? Thanks.
Added!

Also added the folder I keep all my base map resources in, and includes all the photoshop files I used to edit base maps to use as overlays while making the NextGen maps. Hopefully there's stuff in there that might be useful for others!

Added!

Also added the folder I keep all my base map resources in, and includes all the photoshop files I used to edit base maps to use as overlays while making the NextGen maps. Hopefully there's stuff in there that might be useful for others!
b4Pk9yv.gif

Is there a guide to making base maps anywhere? As the previous poster mentioned having a base map of the Arctic would be handy and I'd like to do that but not sure how to start. Just look at google maps and choose a starting point?

qazse

Gone Fishin'
Could someone plase add the WT-BAM to this list, but remeber to mark it as in-progress?

X2 is mine. I gave a friend permission to call theirs X3; that project has gone in quite a different direction from what I would have done, but its ultimately her project and I'm not involved in it. I wasn't aware of anyone else using the same naming pattern.

Edit: X4 is the name used by that friend I mentioned earlier. X3 is something that exists only on my local hard drive.

Last edited:
I want to generate an over 5,000 pixels wide Equi-rectangular map of 27-30 metres below level, what Tutorials, data and apps do I need?.