These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Again, amazing work!

given that the Imperial Guard, and Napoleon through them, appear to be fight so well against the gov does Louisiana have a chance of crowning Napoleon as king/emperor?

Very very cool. I love the idea of the Bonapartes in Louisiana. Reminds me a bit of the old TL Disaster at Leuthen where the Bonapartes establish a Louisianan Empire. Anyway, can't wait to see where this goes!

Thanks!! I hope the most recent update can offer some hints...

Right now, I am internally yelling "fuck!" very loudly.

This will not end well.

Or will it?

CosmicAsh said that this US didn't abolish slavery until the 1930s, but there is at least one Black signer of the Louisiana Declaration of Independence (Cedric Richmond.) How is this possible?
It makes perfect sense, the people that don't like the US don't fit in with it's values. That and the rise of Hogan occurred just after a rather liberal presidency so they may be a holdover.
IIRC, the LPP did pass legislation to improve the situation of non-whites during their time in power during the 90s, but that was rolled back when the DSU returned to power.

The formal abolition of slavery was indeed in the 20th century. The Presidency of David Price (often considered to be last President with any power) and the LPP being in control of Congress and the Privy Council saw voting rights given to Black Americans among other sweeping reforms. Many of these reforms remained in place in the states that were controlled by the LPP and the opposition to the DSU. Louisiana was one of these, so despite the rollbacks elsewhere, Louisiana was among the most democratic of U.S. states.

American Special Forces ready to land in Baton Rouge like:

But in all seriousness, it seems like an American Civil War is on its way shortly. Possible a patchwork of states in the Mississippi delta and Midwest against the East Coast Loyalists and rural West. Given Supreme Warlord Larry Hogan has a vast stockpile of chemical weapons, he can perhaps use that as a stick to threaten the International Community with staying out of American Affairs lest they get nerve gassed. It also makes things that much harder for the Rebels to be able to fight against government forces unless they can grab stockpiles of their own.

Given this, I think the Rebels may be anywhere from Hard-Left radicals to DSU supporters who think Hogan has shit the bed.

Rebel Territory may be centered in the Black Belt, Steel Belt/Rust Belt, Southern States( as they don't have much heavy industry and thus have not 'benefitted' from America's Industrialization nearly as much.

This may also culminate in a lot of violence for sectarian purposes as the breakdown of society and Civil War stresses lead towards massacres of political enemies as well as the 'settling' of long-standing grievances and resentments.

Louisiana has historically had a free population made up of Free People of Color, it could very well be that without the conditions leading up the entrenchment of slavery and the civil war (mainly that America went to war with Britain and got its ass kicked in the 1850s) that Louisiana's free black population would've continued to enjoy a relative sense of prosperity and social status.

The American opposition is very broad. Most of the Government's support comes from hardliners and party loyalists, which - I may add - is not an insignificant number. By no means should people be fooled into assuming that this is a broad, popular uprising with 90% of the populace in favour of... As this most recent update showed things... are getting messy.

Why hasn't any other US state government declared independence?
And, am I also right to assume that the rebellions in the US are widespread, though perhaps disunited?

The rebellions and unrest are very widespread. I hope this article answered your first question!

It might be a stretch, but could we have a religion and/ or language map of TTL Earth population?

I can add it to the list of things I plan on doing for sure!!

The BBC article had stories about the situation in Puerto Rico; the rebels control San Juan and the US Governor is missing, presumably in their custody.
If "in their custody" means sleeping with the fishes somewhere in the Caribbean Sea, yeah, the US Governor is in "custody".

Otherwise, spot on!

The former Governor of Puerto Rico sure won't be making a comeback, I can say that for sure.

Argentina as a prosperous world power is such a cool idea and a nice change of scenery from the doom and gloom that is the US ITTL. Two things I’m wondering about are if Argentina has its own sphere of influence and what Argentine welfare programs look like. On the latter, I’m curious if the high standard of living and large immigration to the country have anything to do with Argentina potentially being a social democracy akin to the Nordic countries of OTL.

Argentina absolutely has a sphere of influence! Welfare programmes are administered by each province, but fully funded by the federal government. They range from direct cash assistance from the government, to programmes administered for targeted purposes. It is up to the province to decide their course of action, and the federal government funds them completely, up to a point deteremined by a formula.

Why the [A] by the name? Some sort of note, I am sure but what? (Probably about alternative official names but I wanna know)
It's probably the same note in OTL Wikipedia.
Article 35 of the Argentine Constitution gives equal recognition to the names "United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata", "Argentine Republic" and "Argentine Confederation" and using "Argentine Nation" in the making and enactment of laws.

Though the different names Argentina can go by might differ ITTL.
Yeah, I am aware of that iOTL but asked because it might be different iTTL.

These remain the same, I am sad to say!

I'd love to hear more about the Long Depression and Cosmic Game

I will absolutely be going into these more!

Seeing as Finland got its independence from Sweden, how did the Bernadottes gain the Swedish throne if the disastrous war in 1809 didnt happen and cause the deposition of Gustav VI?

I believe that the Swedish introbox will be able to cover this.

TTL's Space Race between the UK and Russian Empire is called the "Cosmic Game"? Love it.

It's the Great Game...in space. :cool:

It absolutely is!

I want to know more about the Franco-Argentinian War.

Sadly... this is lower on my list of wars to cover. Maybe next year!!

The naming convention makes me wonder if the Cosmic Game is a bit more than launching satellites and astronauts into space and actually involves attempts to lay claim to Lunar territory. It’s be really interesting if Lunar bases are thing and space stations are more common ITTL.

Spoilers... ;)

Absolutely amazing! Are there any other possible states to succeed or rebellions?

I hope this article was able to answer this.

When I say, "what a bloody mess", I'm being rather more literal than usual. Of course, this is amazing.

It looks as though the US Southeast is more or less falling apart... Also very interesting that the Republic of Louisiana controls a part of southern Mississippi. Also, is the Ripublic ov Gorgya (Georgia ;)) about to declare independence? It looks like it controls enough for that to be maybe possible...

Any word on possible British intervention? Perhaps, at the very least, the Royal Navy could move to protect Puerto Rico or Haiti?

Thank you!

It all depends on what you consider an official declaration of independence. There's been many declarations over the past couple of weeks.

I believe this article touched on it.

Any word on the fate of a certain OTL Congresslady who was mentioned as a TTL potential Privy Councilor? Has she fled to New England yet?
Who’s to say she’s not on Hogan’s side?

I'm sorry, I do not know who this is referencing.

How long before the Glorious Chairman sends in the tanks and heavy artillery? Or have they already been deployed?

They have been deployed.

My guess is the continental rebellions are screwed, but the Caribbean ones have a chance. Assuming the US military is reasonably modernized and has no serious loyalty problems, it would be nearly impossible to beat them in a straight conflict. If they have tanks, drones, ICBMs, chemical weapons, and simply more raw men with rifles than the rebels, the rebels can't win a conventional war.

But in the Caribbean, there's a different story. It's further away and of lesser priority than the mainland, so I imagine reinforcements are scarce. But more importantly, if the rebels can drive out the army garrisons, they could petition the Royal Navy for protection. If that happens, well, the US can not launch a reinvasion. I imagine you could create a situation comparable to the Mainland China-Taiwan relationship of OTL.

The United States military is generally very poorly equipped and armed. The most resources are put into the Constitutional Protection Office (CPO), which has millions of "officers," and acts as the U.S. government's paramilitary branch. The CPO has generally been occupied with locking down the cities, most of which are experiancing unrest of some degree.

I believe this update has shown the status of the American Caribbean.

The US military is 400,000 strong.
The UK will not join unless Hogan attacks them first.

This is mostly accurate.

Realistically Louisiana wouldn't be able to secure its independence unless Texas also became independent due to it being completely surrounded by the US, and right now it doesn't look like any Texans are rebelling yet.

Not for lack of trying!

Honestly it would not surprise me if this first attempt at secession is brutally crushed.

This does often happen...

Does this map encompass the full extent of the rebellions, or are we just focusing on the southeast portion of the war map? If it's the former, then I am concerned for the insurgency's prospects.

This is a general overview of the southeastern United States.

Stellar work as always! I wish we could get the etymologies of some of the alt-cities of the South soon.
  • What happened to the insurgency in Ohio (if you could even call it that)? Did it get brutally quashed within just one month? If so, that does not bode well for Louisiana and south Georgia.
  • Out of all the mainland states that could've rebelled, why Louisiana? Is it because of their unique history (maybe the state has more French settlers?), or is it just that it happens to be a highly dense and more progressive state? The same question goes for south Georgia (and other areas in Florida and South Carolina).
  • How do other countries view the rebellions in America? I assume that the general populace would want intervention, but governments refuse to intervene in fear of biochemical weapons being sent their way.
EDIT:
  • Come to think of it, the Louisianian rebellion has control roughly in state lines. What is the general mood of some of the higher-ups in nearby states? Are they willing to conscript people to fight the rebels, or did the federal government force them to? What is the structure of the military in the US?
  • Which people in the union even know about the atrocities being committed in the frontlines?
  • How are the rebellions covered in American state media? I don't think they can easily brush this off given that these rebellions are different and more intense. Hopefully we can see an American POV article soon.
I apologize in advance if I'm asking too many questions.

Please!! I apologise for not answering these questions sooner... They pile up and it takes me time to sort through them and see what I can and cannot answer haha!

- There continues to be nightly unrest across the major cities in Ohio.
- Louisiana is densely populated, highly progressive, and absolutely against the DSU regime. They were the naturally the most at the ready to oppose the increasing authortarian nature of the central regime.
- Most other countries are broadly supportive of the rebellions, and the prevailing opinion is that the fall of the American regime would be a net positive for the world.

- Well, this article should have answered some of those questions!
- Not many. Word spreads through an underground network and through the actual protestors, most official lines of communication are not operation.
- It is given as entirely a terrorist incident. An American article hmm... I could very easily see myself writing something like this...

The plot thickens. I’m loving it so far.

Who is Lord President Adams?

And why did the US government ever permit the Imperial Guard to operate within its borders? Isn’t that a disaster waiting to happen?

Also who’s in the Imperial Guard and why do they join? Is it Frenchmen who came over to Louisiana out of loyalty to Napoleon, or is it Americans? And why are there so many of them?

ijx3qPC.png

The Imperial Guard was allowed to operate within the borders of the United States through extreme amounts of corruption. For all intents and purposes, no matter if you agree with what he is doing, Napoleon and the Imperial Household have been defacto warlords for the past couple of decades, operating with impunity and welcomed with open arms by the so-called "clean" government of Louisiana before and after their declaration...

The Imperial Guard is mostly Frenchmen, but local recruits are always welcome.

Just one question:

Hungarian as a former official language in Libya?

The Austrian Empire had control over Libya, taken in one of the wars against the Ottoman Empire. The Hungarians were tasked with managing the colony.

Excellent work as always! Looks like things have really gotten worse, haven't they?

Nice to know that the Empire doesn't acknowledge the existence of Spain/eastern Portugal. Also weird to see a formerly Hungarian Libya (or for that matter, any Hungarian colony, if it ever was)

Brave of Mexico to acknowledge the new Caribbean nations; seems that they're prepared for any potential conflicts with America. Though given the situation the US isn't really poised to fight another country.

Thank you!

The Empire absolutely refuses to recognise the Spanish state, and will go to lengths to make sure the wider populace does not either. It was technically a Hungarian colony for some time!

Mexico is absolutely taking a large risk here, but has mobalised the military and remains ready to defend Mexico and it's interests at all costs.

While the main article itself is amazing, my favourite part of these articles is to look at the ''most-read'' and ''selected stories

Haha, yeah! I've heard from many people that is their favourite part! I do bury lore in there a lot...

Again, amazing work!

given that the Imperial Guard, and Napoleon through them, appear to be fight so well against the gov does Louisiana have a chance of crowning Napoleon as king/emperor?

It seems highly unlikely that Napoleon will make a play for the leadership of Louisiana.

Indeed.

For instance, what's going on with France? What's happening between Mossi and Dendi? And what's going on with Arabia?

For the French, I have made it known elsewhere that the Treaty which ended the Great Continental War explicitly forbid any French multinational corporations from existing - they were the primary vehicle used in the Napoleanic era to spread French influence across the globe, and primarily in Africa, which the French government used to support their allies and attack British interests in the region.

As for the rest... all in due time.

Is the ALO on the Moon????

You may very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment ;)

Deleted member 77383

I have a question about the domestic violence in the US from the past if you’re ok to answer...

PNWKing

Banned
I don't know what the ALO is? Just that it announced a "first birth" and that "both (presumably mother and child) would be monitored"?
"Celebrated author Ashley Fletcher." Stop with the self-plugging, please.
Stanley McChrystal was born at Ft. Leavenworth military hospital in Kansas. Other than that, I don't know much about his family, so they could have been New Englanders and not Americans.

PNWKing

Banned
By the way, the UK has not yet announced a response. Imperial Central Commander James Mattis however has said, that "this is a very important situation that needs careful monitoring."

Deleted member 77383

This is a Iraqi propaganda video from the 2003 war “Operation Iraqi Freedom” In the alternative history timeline where America is totalitarian, you’d have the man singing praise of the nation and of course singing that General Hogan will bring America to her rightful place and will crush all enemies within the nation and abroad. Just a thought...

Btw, what exactly is the United States Privy Council?
I assume it's something akin to the Soviet Presidium?
Similiar, it's an oligarchic council -it's precise legislative power is yet unoutlined but as of now and Hogan have couped the nation

I don't know what the ALO is? Just that it announced a "first birth" and that "both (presumably mother and child) would be monitored"?
"Celebrated author Ashley Fletcher." Stop with the self-plugging, please.
-Argentine Lunar Outpost
-
1621544397627.png