"Mary Whitehouse will never accept this" : A Dr Who Production History (Inspired by Guajolote)

The year is 2001. Earth is struggling to recover from the devastating Eugenics wars which have left over 3 billion dead. Khan Noonien Singh and his followers have escaped from the planet and have fled across the galaxy to escape justice.

What is left of Starfleet and the UFP have put together a team of enforcers to track Khan down and either execute him or bring him to justice. To do so Starfleet has built a one of its kind ship. A dedicated combat class cruiser equipped with the latest defensive and offensive technology. The USS Defiant.
Half of Earths population dies in the Eugenics wars ITTL’s Trek? Wow. Of course Gene Roddenberry isn’t going to go for that! I think the Khan series is interesting but wouldn’t most of it take place on Earth before Khan goes on the Botany Bay?

Half of Earths population dies in the Eugenics wars ITTL’s Trek? Wow. Of course Gene Roddenberry isn’t going to go for that! I think the Khan series is interesting but wouldn’t most of it take place on Earth before Khan goes on the Botany Bay?
The series starts in 2001 but there will be a flashback episode or two.

CAST:
Captain Alexander Marks: Patrick Stewart
Commander Adam Fitzhume: Jonathan Frakes
Lt Commander Laura Donovan: Gates Macfadden
Doctor (Lt Comm) Thomas Marsh: David McCallum
Lt Samuel Sykes (Head Of Security): Carl Weathers
Lt Mark Fujimaka (Head Of Engineering): Robert Ito
Ensign Surak: David Gautreux
images-2.jpeg

President Leo Dennis: James Earl Jones (Guest star)
Khan Noonien Singh: Anthony Ainley (Guest Star)

Last edited:
The series starts in 2001 but there will be a flashback episode or two.

CAST:
Captain Alexander Marks: Patrick Stewart
Commander Adam Fitzhume: Jonathan Frakes
Lt Commander Laura Donovan: Gates Macfadden
Doctor (Lt Comm) Thomas Marsh: David McCallum
Lt Samuel Sykes (Head Of Security): Carl Weathers
Lt Mark Fujimaka (Head Of Engineering): Robert Ito
Ensign Surak: David Gautreux
View attachment 651774
President Leo Dennis: James Earl Jones (Guest star)
Khan Noonien Singh: Anthony Ainley (Guest Star)
What year is this show produced and what channel does it air on ?

"The 1980's in the USA were terrible years. Violence, civil disobedience and drugs plagued the nation throughout the decade. You had the assassination of Ronald Reagan in 1981. President Bush struggling to keep a lid on the turmoil in the country and many Americans thinking their country was lost. That was reflected in the media with shows such as Star Trek Defiant muddying the waters between right and wrong in their attempts to bring Khan and the augments to justice. That was a show that didn't sugarcoat the evil of the decade especially with "Hearts and Minds" which was highly lauded, Denise Crosby earning her Emmy but my God was it controversial"

(Tom Hanks, The Eighties, CNN,2016)

That was a show that didn't sugarcoat the evil of the decade especially with "Hearts and Minds" which was highly lauded, Denise Crosby earning her Emmy but my God was it controversial"
Can not wait to see what the episodes of Defiant are like.

I not asking for a story by story summery but I hope you have a more detail coverage of the show and since you mentioned the episode "Heart and Minds" , you do need to tell us a general plot summery of it.
Warning: The next few posts contains discussions that may be upsetting

INT: Captain's ready room. Marks is reading a missive from Starfleet Command. The door chime goes

Marks: Come

The Door opens revealing Marsh

Marks: Ah, Doctor. How is Ensign Tyler?

Marsh sits down

Marsh: Emma has sustained serious injuries. She has a broken left arm and a fractured right knee as well as 2 broken ribs. The bio-regenerator has been able to repair the damage but I've confined her to the medibay for a week.

Marks: I see. Thank You Doctor.

Marsh remains seated. His face pale.

Marks: Is there something else Doctor?

Marsh: I also ran an internal scan. She sustained catastrophic injuries...

Marks: Tom, what's happened?

Marsh. Emma was raped by the Augment.

"Like" seems entirely the wrong reaction to that post, that is a pretty dark subject. I assume Denise Crosby is playing Tyler? Seems her fate is to always get a Trek character who has to deal with that particular horror.

If Star Trek is a family then Defiant is the red-headed stepchild. Roddenberry wanted nothing to with the series. He had written the original series as a hopeful and positive look at the future. Defiant was nothing of the sort.

(Judith and Garfield Reeves Stevens :The Making of Star Trek: Defiant, 1994)
Just like Discovery and Picard then?

Interesting world.

I hope this Doctor Who never suffers from Nathen-Turner. Shame Douglas Adams only writes a little bit for it. Graham would have made a very good Doctor- shame about the drink. Ian Richardson is my personal fav What If... Doctor.

Hope Graham gets his redemption with Doctor Who here. Filming his regeneration from the eariler show for an edited VHS/Betamax special version might be a fun way to shift Merch.

Does Hitch Hikers Guide still get made?

Is the "Star Trek series "Enforcer"" the same as the Defiant series?

The year is 2001. Earth is struggling to recover from the devastating Eugenics wars which have left over 3 billion dead. Khan Noonien Singh and his followers have escaped from the planet and have fled across the galaxy to escape justice.

What is left of Starfleet and the UFP have put together a team of enforcers to track Khan down and either execute him or bring him to justice. To do so Starfleet has built a one of its kind ship. A dedicated combat class cruiser equipped with the latest defensive and offensive technology. The USS Defiant.

That ship is from 2001? Bet that is small and cramped, certainly no 1701 Enterprise! More Submarine in terms of looks I bet.

Going to be interesting how they fill in the fictional history between 2001 and Kirk's time esp how Kirk did not know Khan later. Nothing against Ansley, but why was Ricardo Montalban not brought back for Khan?

What happens to Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Blakes 7, and Space 1999 ITTL please?

First of all thanks for the feedback.

Atrocities happen in all wars. That much we are certain of. The Holocaust been the most obvious example as were the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Rape is an atrocity in any sphere of life but it seems to take on an evil of it own in war. Star Trek Defiant had it been real would have been a very clear reflection of the social issues that blighted the USA in the 1980's. I referred to the CNN series "The Eighties" earlier and that was deliberate. The series (which I highly recommend and is available on Sky Arts and download) does touch on issues of rape and assault on both sexes.

As far as I know (I stopped watching Trek after Enterprise ended) there have only been 1 or 2 references to rape. One was in ST:TNG and I forget the other.

I will use the next couple of posts to tie up this aspect of the TL and then return to Dr Who

Battlestar Galactica runs from 1978 to 1981 and ends with them finding Earth.
Star Wars runs as OTL as does Blakes 7.
Space 1999 runs to 3 series and ends with the Alphans finding a new home which they christen New Earth

"It was a very brave decision by the producers to have the storyline. It took Defiant from a show about Good defeating evil to a show where good can come from evil. Emma Tyler being raped and impregnated by an augment and then deciding to keep the child and raise it as a human touched a chord with many in the 1980's"

(Patrick Stewart 1994)

SEASON 1 (13 Episodes *)
In Thy Image (2 Parts)
Shakedown
The Point Of No Return
Shadowplay
Curiosity (2 Parts **)
Hearts and Minds
The Web
Cabin Fever
Means and Ends
Justice (2 Parts)

(*Paramount would only green-light a half season due to the controversial nature of some stories)
**-Backstory. Xon uses a combination of mind-melding and the Defiant's archives to gain a better understanding of the Eugenics wars)

DOCTOR WHO SERIES 18

Computation Destruction
The Doctor lands on Earth in 2003 and finds that somehow WOTAN is still in existence and is trying to use the facilities of a weapons manufacturer to complete its plans. Along with programmer Melanie Bush (Kate O' Mara) the Doctor is able to destroy the evil computer once and for all

Knights of Evil
The TARDIS lands in Camelot where the Doctor and Mel foil a plot by Mordred and Morgana to over throw King Arthur. Mordred being the Master (Colin Baker) and Morgana being the Rani (Jacqueline Pearce). Before they leave Arthur (Martin Jarivs) says to the Doctor
"we have met before and we will do so again"

Paradise Towers
As OTL

Black Orchid
As OTL

A Trek series set in 2001 dealing with Augments and such really makes an interesting splash in the Trek history to date. A very dark turn for the franchise- I imagine there will be a kickback to make the next show brighter.

I’d like to be able to watch Colin Baker as the Master, I bet he could chew the scenery like few others!