Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Part 122, Chapter 2052
Chapter Two Thousand Fifty-Two

22nd March 1971

Los Angeles, California

“We were told by Sergeant Wilkinson that you were someone we wanted to talk to” The Producer said as he shook Ritchie’s hand. The Producer was in Ritchie’s estimation what would happen if an oily shark somehow managed to take on human form and cram itself into a three-piece suit. As the Producer let go of Ritchie’s hand, Ritchie had to fight the urge to make sure that all of his fingers were still there.

“I am a bit surprised to get your call” Ritchie replied, “I only recently completed the field assessment and since then I have mostly been out in Imperial Country.”

“Bill mentioned that” The Producer said, “Out in the desert working for Uncle Sam for a few weeks. You are former Special Forces, right?”

“Something like that” Ritchie replied, doubting that the Producer knew a damn thing about any of it.

“That’s good” The Producer said as he turned and walked swiftly across the filmset with Ritchie trying to keep up. The set was designed to look like any one of the streets that surrounded the studio. Ritchie wondered why they would go to so much effort to make this when they could just go a hundred yards in any direction. “Mind if I call you what? Richard? Dick?”

“Ritchie works” Ritchie said, knowing that he wanted to make a good impression. Shooting the Producer for calling him Dick would be the exact opposite of that. Though the Department might give him a medal for doing so.

The last few months had been good as Lucia and Ritchie had settled into their new house. Spending his time fixing the place up had been a welcome change from the madness he encountered on a daily basis Downtown and in Skid Row. As his first-year field assessment had finally come, Ritch had passed with flying colors, getting the automatic promotion to Police Officer II, and there was the real prospect of being transferred elsewhere in the Department. That was when Captain Evans had reentered the picture, something that Ritchie had mostly forgotten about. He had said that they would talk when Ritchie got back from guarding the State of California against any incursions by the Mexican Army. Ritchie knew that meant that there was a strong possibility that he might be recruited into the Tactical Division, D Platoon in particular, based on his time in the Green Beret alone.

In the meantime, Ritchie had gotten a call from a Producer in Hollywood asking if he would be interested in a Consulting gig for a television show. Set in Los Angeles, it was supposed to be about Police Officers, Firefighters, and Paramedics as they battled the disasters that struck the city on a regular basis, both natural and human caused.

The reason Ritchie was interested was because he was looking at transferring to a four-year University for an honest-to-God Bachelor’s Degree it the near future and Lucia was making noises to the effect of not wanting to spend her whole life working as a Day-shift Cashier at Ralph’s. There was also the very real possibility that there would be things that they couldn’t predict happening, not to mention both Ritchie and Lucia’s respective mothers asking the obvious sorts of questions.

Suddenly, money was a major concern. Consulting for a television studio who wanted to make a gritty show about first responders was a way to that without being crooked. Ritchie was prepared to give them grittiness by the truckful if there was a decent amount of money involved.

Plänterwald, Berlin

Kiki had been asleep for about five seconds before Nina decided that sleeping was not in her interest. As she picked Nina up out of the crib and tried to calm her, Kiki thought about how Nadine loved her so much. Perhaps Nina ought to go to Oma’s house and stay there until she was ready to go to University, Kiki thought to herself. Even as she had the thought though, Kiki felt a touch of guilt that she’d had it. It cleaved a bit too close to a conversation which her Sister-in-Law and Stepmother had forced her to have just after Nina was born.

Hearing about both sides of her family’s long history of mothers rejecting their children had not been a comfortable thing to listen to. Charlotte had told her that it wasn’t actually unique to her family, it was just that there were extensive records that went back centuries because of their prominence. It was the reason why Charlotte and Suga had pressed Kiki to accept all the help that was being offered. It was yet one more example of the long and ever-growing list of disadvantages of being who she was. Being from an old family and having a Social Worker for a Stepmother came with that.

Finding herself with a fussy newborn who would not calm down or sleep even though it was in the early morning hours, it was becoming clear to Kiki that there was a reason why everyone had been so concerned. There would have been no way that she could have possibly done this on her own, not even with Benjamin home. Then there was the aspect that everyone was too polite to bring up with her or talk about in her presence. That Kiki had made no secret of the fact that she had never wanted to be a mother in the first place, now she was having to learn on the fly.

Kiki also couldn’t help but feel terrible about Fianna Dunn coming here. Fianna had apparently dropped everything to come to Berlin to help out and Kiki felt a stab of guilt every time she her. She had barely thought about a woman who’d had a profound influence on her life in the years since she had gone back to Ireland. Instead, Kiki remembered the sense of betrayal she had felt because someone she cared about was going home after having completed the task she had come to do. It was one more memory that Kiki now looked at and cringed.

Last edited:
Suddenly, money was a major concern. Consulting for a television studio who wanted to make a gritty show about first responders was a way to that without being crooked. Ritchie was prepared to give them grittiness by the truckful if there was a decent amount of money involved.
As much as I love Southland, I don't think America is ready for it ITTL.

As much as I love Southland, I don't think America is ready for it ITTL.
At this point IOTL CBS is doing the "Rural Purge" canceling shows like " Beverly Hillbillies " " Green Acres" "Petticoat Junction" and "Hee Haw" even through they are doing decent ratings in favor of shows like " All in the Family" " The Mary Tyler Moore Show" in order to appeal to a more diverse demographic that has a higher disposable income.
A show that combines elements of " Adam-12" " Emergency " "SWAT" and "The Rookies" could work and also at this point IOTL the LAPD is trying to recruit more minorities in to the force and having Ritchie in a high profile job will help in that efforts.

My father spent 24 years in the USN mostly on aircraft carriers and he told me that there was nobody more arrogant or having a bigger ego than a Navy fighter pilot and my father armed Nuclear weapons and that meant that he had a higher code word clearance then most of the pilots.
I think it's due, in part, to the fact that Navy pilots routinely take-off from and land/controlled crash onto a moving runway a fraction of the size of anything a land based fighter pilot would use. Assuming, of course, that the Brits have not built the Harrier ITTL.

Assuming, of course, that the Brits have not built the Harrier ITTL.
AFAIK, the Harrier was a solution to an issue specific to the Cold War and operations in Germany.
Without that, I suspect that development of the P.1127 Kestrel will continue to the P.1154, the proposed supersonic version, (which will probably be coming into service around now), but probably only for the Royal Navy/Fleet Air Arm.
The RAF probably have little current need for a VTOL/VSTOL aircraft.

I wonder what the state of Anglo-German relations are? Could we see an Avro/Focke-Wulf/Hawker-Siddeley alliance to design, test and build it?

ferdi254

Banned
You need balls of steel to do the job of a navy pilot and those tend to come in a package with a super sized ego.
While a super sized ego can be had without the balls of steel.

Last edited:
Part 122, Chapter 2053
Chapter Two Thousand Fifty-Three

2nd April 1971

Mitte, Berlin

Charlotte and Louis had been more than happy to watch Nina for the evening so that Kristina and Ben could catch up on things. Of course, Louis might no longer be Emperor, but he still had his many of his old sources. They were telling him that his daughter and Son-in-Law had fallen asleep on the couch with the dog in Kristina’s house only minutes after Louis and Charlotte had left with Nina. That was predictable.

A few weeks earlier, Charlotte had mentioned a scholarly article she had read that suggested that there might be an evolutionary component to why babies become fussy and monopolize their parent’s time for the first several months of their lives. That was easy enough to figure the reason for, the squeaky wheel gets the grease as it were. He knew that in the theory of Darwinian Evolution survival was cutthroat business where survival was often the luck of the draw with the most ruthless being favored. A human infant was hardwired to do what was necessary to survive by keeping its mother close at all times. Louis also figured that the fussiness served the purpose of making sure that the baby’s exhausted and exasperated parents were far less likely to produce a potential rival anytime soon. At least those were things that he had gleaned from watching his own children. Louis knew full well that he was not an Anthropologist, so while he had discussed this with Charlotte, he had not wanted the conversation to go further than that. Who knew what his children would have to say?

“Remember when Nella was this small?” Charlotte asked as she fed Nina from a bottle. “Doesn’t seem that long ago.”

In the manner of children since time out of mind, Nina was behaving perfectly for Opa and Oma. Not that Louis was under any illusions about how that could change in a heartbeat. As far as Nina was concerned, Charlotte was one of her people, just not Momma though. It remained to be seen just how tolerant she would remain.

“Time flies” Louis replied. Nella and Nan were in the next room watching television. They had lost interest when they found out that Nina didn’t do a whole lot, not yet. Louis figured that those two would be in for a surprise in a year or so when Nina would become extremely interested in what her aunts were doing. There were times when Louis wished that Nan could have spent her early childhood with him, and Charlotte like Nella had. Nan’s life had just been brutal up until they had taken her in, and it had taken her a long time to learn how to be a somewhat ordinary Child. That was a time limited thing though. Both Nella and Nan were growing up and they were slowly taking on the outward appearance of young women.

“Kiki is doing her best” Charlotte said, “All of this has been an incredible surprise for her, and she lacks many of the things that she could escape to in the past.”

“Is that such a bad thing?” Louis asked, “She has tended to run away from problems in the past, this isn’t something she can run from.”

“Perhaps” Charlotte replied, “I heard that the Medical Service didn’t pull any punches this time, she is in a lot of trouble.”

“I think that Koblenz is going out of their way to let Kristina know exactly what the chain of command is and her place in it” Louis said, “She has wanted to be treated the same as everyone else her whole life and that is exactly what she is getting.”

With that Nina finished her bottle and Charlotte watched as Louis picked her up and her on his shoulder. He gently patted the left side of her back until he heard a soft burp, he kept her there though until Nina fell asleep.

“You are rather good at that” Charlotte observed.

“It comes from having a lot of practice” Louis replied, “Seven children, four grandchildren including this one.”

“I doubt that Kiki and Ben will be interested in having another for a long time” Charlotte said, “Michael and Birdie have said that they are waiting until Birdie has completed University. Victoria has said that she is waiting to produce the spare for King Albrecht, which sounds even worse when she says it. And finally, Marie Cecilie is still happily single. So, Nina will probably remain the baby of this family for the foreseeable future.”

“We should count our blessings then” Louis said, “I always expected that Marie Cecilie would meet some African Prince with a bone through his nose and I would end up having to explain to the public why I didn’t have a problem with it.”

“That is a horrible stereotype” Charlotte said, and Louis was unsure which part of his last sentence she was referring to.

“These days, Marie Cecilie has her own people to do the explaining for her without my involvement” Louis said, “The African Prince in question hasn’t shown up yet, though I think that would come as a real surprise for the people of Galicia.”

Becoming the Queen of Galicia and Ruthenia had worked out well for Marie Cecilie. Basically, she had been given a tapestry to weave the fabric of a nation to her liking and she had leapt at the chance. She had set the new nation on a defiant course with the goal of turning Krakow and the other major cities of the region into centers of learning and enlightenment. Most notably, she had proudly cast a vote against her brother becoming Emperor of Germany.

Becoming the Queen of Galicia and Ruthenia had worked out well for Marie Cecilie. Basically, she had been given a tapestry to weave the fabric of a nation to her liking and she had leapt at the chance. She had set the new nation on a defiant course with the goal of turning Krakow and the other major cities of the region into centers of learning and enlightenment. Most notably, she had proudly cast a vote against her brother becoming Emperor of Germany.
Well, someone in the family had to, if only to keep Freddie getting to full of himself. On the political side, Freddie's enemies can't say his election was rammed through by his family, because Rea voted 'no'. It also gives the family a potential 'rallying point' for the moderate dissidents seeking reform, instead of them being drawn to the more radical revolutionaries or reactionaries. It's also good for her kingdom, as her stance would also make Galicia & Ruthenia more attractive for progressives.

ferdi254

Banned
A very far aside and our cherished author has missed that one completely but as it is the season. Any news on the ESC?
And PM if you butterfly ABBA I will personally get a Tornado and visit your home town. Oh and btw Queen is also incommunicado.

A very far aside and our cherished author has missed that one completely but as it is the season. Any news on the ESC?
And PM if you butterfly ABBA I will personally get a Tornado and visit your home town. Oh and btw Queen is also incommunicado.
Incommunicado or inviolable?
(if the former the 10/10 for the pun)

ferdi254

Banned
Fickle yes they did and in the middle of the GDR you had Berlin. And happenstance made it so that the transmitters in the eastern part ofcthe FRG and those in Berlin were „a bit“ oversized.

Part 122, Chapter 2054
Chapter Two Thousand Fifty-Four

7th April 1971

RAF Northolt, South Ruislip, England

Everyone, including Stuart Davies understood the future of the Kestrel Program, and with it the entire fortunes of Hawker Siddeley were riding on this test flight. As if that wasn’t clear enough, Konteradmiral Albrecht von Richthofen, the Commander of the German Fleet Air Command and Oberst Erich Hartmann, the Chief Test Pilot for Junkers AG were both present. There had been other flights before now, but all of them had been tethered as the kinks in the control system had been worked out. It was Stuart’s hope that neither those two nor any of their staff saw any of the film footage of what had happened when things had gotten out of control in those first flights. Yes, they had solved many of the problems over the last few years, but those encountered in the construction and operation of a “Jump Jet” had proven rather unique.

The Kestrel Program had narrowly avoided getting axed when the Government had been looking to cut costs. It had been saved when Hawker Siddeley had joined the International Consortium that included Bloch, Sud-Ouest, Arado, Fieseler and Junkers AG. Recently, they had been joined by the Lockheed Corporation of America. The Consortium was not a merging of the constituent corporations, but each of them had been able to share expertise and engineering experience. That had come with opportunities for manufacturing, the opening of markets as well as splitting the costs of development. So far, this had worked for everyone with the Mirage III, Arrow/Pfeil, Orkan/Tempest, and finally the Airbus A130 which had revolutionized Regional transport throughout the world, mostly in Europe. With the help of Lockheed, the plan was to debut the Airbus A300, which would be called the Galaxy in North America, and do the same thing on International Stage.

Where the Kestrel came in was Junkers AG was extremely interested in the program and they already had a buyer lined up if Hawker Siddeley licensed the aircraft to them, the German High Seas Fleet’s Air Command. To the Corporate Board at Hawker Siddeley that had been mana from Heaven, the Government and the Admiralty had a rather different perspective, however. An airplane that they had rejected a few years earlier was suddenly of grave national concern. What came next was a twist that Stuart had not been cynical enough to see coming. In the end moneys talks and with aerospace manufacturing having become as important as the automotive industry over the prior decade the next round of elections had not gone well for the incumbent Party. This had less to do with the Kestrel, whose planned production run was no more than a couple hundred machines at most in England plus whatever Junkers was planning on doing, than it did with the production of the Galaxy/A300 when it started next year. The average man in the street had not been interested in saving money by those at the top if it meant less in their own pocket somewhere down the line.

As they watched, the Kestrel transitioned from vertical to horizontal flight. The roar of the engine changed pitch as the four nozzles that vectored the thrust changed direction propelling the aircraft forward.

“Impressive” Konteradmiral von Richthofen said, his face impassive. “I am interested in having my people review the data from when things went sideways, as it must have. You developed a whole new technology here.”

Stuart almost cursed aloud when von Richthofen said that. He had been warned that the Konteradmiral had a background in the sciences and wouldn’t be as easily snowed as representatives from the Admiralty had been. A few minutes later, the Kestrel circled back to the airfield. Stuart just hoped that von Richthofen would not ask about fuel consumption as the plane hovered in to land. That was something that they were still trying to work out, the modified Pegasus engine guzzled fuel when conducting S/VTOL operations. Oddly, the hope was that it was a technical problem that the Engineers at Junkers would delight in. Then there was the somewhat quixotic “afterburner” used by the Kestrel. It seemed like every time the Engineers at Hawker Siddeley’s Kingston upon Thames factory went looking for a technical fix, the plane gained a bit more weight. The original thinking behind getting the Germans involved was that perhaps a new set of eyes with a different technical background needed to take a look at the Kestrel. It remained to be seen if that was a mistake or not.

“You told my people that you are developing this as a strike interceptor” von Richthofen asked, “Does that mean that it is intended to be a Jabo?”

German slang for Fighter-Bomber, Stuart thought to himself.

It seemed like whenever Stuart had dealings with RAF Generals and Navy Admirals the conversation always turned to the Kestrel’s ability to deliver bombs on targets. Then the questions would start getting asked. Wouldn’t a smaller, simpler, most pointedly cheaper, plane capable of the same mission be better? They didn’t seem to get that a multi-role aircraft would need to be able to protect itself. Especially one that was made to operate were few other aircraft could.

“That is what is intended” Stuart replied.

“I think I will need to consult with General Schultz then” von Richthofen said, “He has some interesting ideas for 4.MID which he is putting together, and this might be suitable.”

“Who” Stuart asked, “And what is a Mid?”

He then received a look from von Richthofen that suggested that he might be way out of his depth here.

Last edited: