Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date
Really, how would Japanese cinema and media in general develop without having their society get hit by the sheer shellshock of the Second World War? That's what I'm curious about.
i can't remember if i mentioned it before in this thread or another one, but Japan IOTL has a dim view of the military in general--there are a few standout examples in the likes of GATE which glorify the JSDF, but mostly militaries in general are usually portrayed as being well-intentioned but basically impotent and have to stand out of the way for a single superpowered hero or a team of them (compare Super Sentai, for example) and are cannon fodder otherwise, such the typical inability of them to deal with kaiju so a different kaiju has to show up to beat the first one on the principle that it has no other reason for being there and will go away when the other one's dead.

hmm, I think that maybe the TL 191 version of 1984 could be more regional than world based.

My idea being that it's set in a totalitarian US that's (supposedly) fighting a war with Secessionists, implied to be in Canada, Utah, and the South, with little indication of what happens in the outside world beyond occasional blurbs.

So kinda like A Handmaid's Tale in terms of geopolitics in-universe, but an Anti-Totalitarian message more in line with 1984. I am curious as to what !Oceania's system would be like in this world, seeing as Stalin's USSR was a major influence along with Hitler's Germany. Maybe something claiming to be democratic and maintaining the institutions of a democratic system, but being run by authoritarians, something similar to how I imagined Britain being run in TL 191.
"Something claiming to be Democratic and maintaining the institutions of a Democratic system, but being run by Authoritarians"
(looks sideways at the setting)
You mean like the Freedom Party in the CSA?

Deleted member 82792

What kind of shows would they have on a Netflix analog?

PNWKing

Banned
Speaking of which, I wonder if there is a Stranger Things analog?
The Duffer brothers were born in North Carolina, so it's possible that their grandparents were killed or something ITTL. Oh yeah, and Stranger Things has a lot of Cold War references so it would depend on a "cold war" type conflict.

Speaking of which, I wonder if there is a Stranger Things analog?
Stranger things is built in a lot of Stephen King tropes along with cold war ideas and plain old 80s nostalgia. So something similar might exist, but several of its building blocks could be changed or just deleted.

Stephen King would probably exist, but what he'd do is more in flux.

Last edited:
Could RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons exist in TL-191?
Probably. TTRPGs as we know them are effectively an outgrowth of miniature wargaming, which had rules for games as far back as 1881 and even HG Wells having their own published rule set. It’s not hard to imagine people writing fantasy scenario supplements for those just like they did otl (especially if you have a hugely influential fantasy series like LotR), which in turn lead to those war games becoming smaller, more focused, and more personal in scale

Last edited:
I know I mentioned Orwell earlier, but I'm wondering what a TL-191 version of Animal Farm might be about? My guess is either Mosley in Britain or a critique or France and Russia and how reactionary the two powers were in the SGW compared to Britain.

Probably. TTRPGs as we know them are effectively an outgrowth of miniature wargaming, which had rules for games as far back as 1881 and even HG Wells having their own published rule set. It’s not hard to imagine people writing fantasy scenario supplements for those just like they did otl (especially if you have a hugely influential fantasy series like LotR), which in turn lead to those war games becoming smaller, more focused, and more personal in scale
Maybe thanks to the german influence in USA, a D&D analagoue could be very https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame german board game styled, like you're as much playing a D&D roleplay as playing a catan game at the same time too

Deleted member 82792

Any ideas what Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be like if made in this world?

PNWKing

Banned
Any ideas what Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be like if made in this world?
Let's see Joss Whedon was born in California to parents from Illinois. His parents were from around the Chicago area, so they would probably be relatively safe. Anyway, I could see a couple vampires who collaborated with Featherston and the Confederacy showing up. Maybe a few small nods to the Population Reduction here and there. The biggest "problem", so to speak is what to do with Angel and the other British characters. You could: (A) Show them as anti-Churchillers who were refugees to America or (B) as British-descended or British-born New Englanders.

Hello anyone I’m a newcomer on this site speaking of which I’m having to think a Video Games on TL-191.

Battle Barrel: (Based of the NES Battle City)

Barrel Slug SV-001: (Based of Metal Slug)

Bionic Soldier/Top Secret the Resurrection of Jake Featherston: (Based of Bionic Commando/Top Secret Hitler No Fukkatsu)

Ace Fighter: (Based of Ace Combat)

Last edited:
I wonder what yacht racing would be like? Just kidding. But on the other hand, I wonder what would things such as the Public Broadcasting Service (Sesame Street, Nova) or National Public Radio (News Hour) be like in the 191 universe. Would the federal government take a heavy-handed approach in using public airwaves in order to disseminate its messages, or would it allow plenty of debate and dialoge?

I wonder what yacht racing would be like? Just kidding. But on the other hand, I wonder what would things such as the Public Broadcasting Service (Sesame Street, Nova) or National Public Radio (News Hour) be like in the 191 universe. Would the federal government take a heavy-handed approach in using public airwaves in order to disseminate its messages, or would it allow plenty of debate and dialoge?
Well, I’m sure NPR and PBS would created in some form or another. Maybe not under the same acronym, but for similar reasons.