What if James Bond was a character in Super Smash Bros?

james_bond_in_super_smash_bros__melee_by_connorrentz_daiqlkv-fullview.jpg

No. this isn't some random idea I made up for the lulz. Sakurai actually considered the idea of adding James Bond as a character in Super Smash Bros. Melee due to the success and legacy of GoldenEye 64. The main reason that didn't happen was the legal hurdle of it, so it was dropped. While it's unlikely in OTL to come to fruition, in an alternate timeline, let's say that it did. Let's say Nintendo actually worked out a deal with MGM and got the likeness of Pierce Brosnan to include James Bond as SSB's first guest character (and the only one in Melee). Basically he fights using a combination of fisticuffs, a silenced pistol, fancy MI6 gadgets (composited from various movies), and probably a death laser satellite later on as his Final Smash.

Apart from just having Bond in Smash Bros., what kind of floodgates would this have opened?

For one, it would mean basically from the start that non-video game characters could get in, which means that the king of insane requests Goku would actually be a viable option as a character. Furthermore, Smash might lose it's focus as being a Nintendo fighter much earlier than OTL, where Brawl would want to top itself with more outrageous guests. Not just Goku, but hell they could add Batman, Harry Potter and The Terminator at that point. The sky is the limits. As for Bond himself, he would be the pinnacle of an unexpected character in gaming, and it would be a neat fact for sure. But it may do more harm to Smash Bros. as a Nintendo game as an original sin.

What do you think?

PNWKing

Banned
First of all, who do they approach, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer or the Ian Fleming estate. Second of all, is this even remotely plausible? I guess they could have contacted Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer some time in the late 1990s, as Rare, owned by Nintendo at the time, developed GoldenEye,

First of all, who do they approach, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer or the Ian Fleming estate. Second of all, is this even remotely plausible? I guess they could have contacted Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer some time in the late 1990s, as Rare, owned by Nintendo at the time, developed GoldenEye,
I said it was unlikely but I said what if it just did happen and what would happen afterwards?

I said it was unlikely but I said what if it just did happen and what would happen afterwards?
They would have to approach both, especially the former to get Brosman Likeness , so would be much like they got the goldeneye rights to begin with, easier as just a minor use of the character and not a whole tie-in(if anything EA would love the free advertisement for their games too).