A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

OK. What happened to his OTL first wife Margaret of Brittany btw? I suddenly realise that since there was talk of his marrying Elizabeth in 1459, it means Maggy either died earlier than OTL or never married him...

VVD0D95

Banned
OK. What happened to his OTL first wife Margaret of Brittany btw? I suddenly realise that since there was talk of his marrying Elizabeth in 1459, it means Maggy either died earlier than OTL or never married him...

Died early

Knowing Francis II, he’ll keep Margaret and Edward as ‘guests’ and eventually hand them over/support them so that they can support Breton independence

Chapter 149: Off To War

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 149: Off To War

April, 1462

Edmund took a breath and looked at his wife. He didn’t know when he’d get to see her again after he left tomorrow. The King had decided to march for Wales, after receiving word that Ludlow was being besieged. Edmund had been asked to command the right wing and so he’d be leaving pretty early in the morning.

As such, he had asked to spend this last day with his wife and their children. They’d laughed as Richard had run after bubbles and the little dog that they had, and he’d cooed over Cecily and her little fingers moving everywhere. He’d admired Margaret, so stoic and strong as they prepared for what was to come.

He loved her. He truly did.

“What are you thinking about?” Margaret asked him, looking up from her book.

“You.” Edmund replied.

“What about me?” Margaret asked smiling, closing the book.

“How perfect you are.” Edmund said, smiling at how his wife blushed.

“You’re not so bad yourself.” Margaret replied grinning.

Edmund laughed, then asked. “How are you?”

It said something about how well they knew one another that Margaret didn’t need to ask him what he meant, she just answered. “I am well, nervous. I think the more important question is, how are you? I know you didn’t want to go out into the field again.”

That was true. After the last Welsh campaign, Edmund had desperately wanted to leave the field of combat, and spend more time with his family. The thought that his children might not recognise him again was too painful to comprehend. He took a breath though and said. “I will manage.”

“Are you sure?” Margaret asked, an eyebrow rising.

Edmund shrugged. “Truth be told, I would rather not have to march out to Wales again, but the King has commanded it, and it does make the most sense. So, I will do what I have to.”

Margaret laughed. “You sound so enthusiastic.”

Edmund grinned. “I’d be far more enthusiastic if I got to spend more time with you.”

“Oh?” Margaret replied, eyes widening. “And what would you do if you could?”

Edmund got up and moved toward her, he put his hands on the arms of her chair and looked at her in the eyes. “Oh, so many things.” He whispered.

“Like what?” Margaret asked, her breathing becoming ever so slightly ragged.

Edmund smirked. “I’d rather show you.”

“Then show me.” Margaret commanded.

Delighted, Edmund laughed and helped Margaret up and pulled her toward their bedroom. They entered the bedroom and he kissed her, and together they fell onto the bed. As they started undressing one another, Edmund tried to memorise every part of his wife. He would need this to keep going in the war to come.

Not true. She was happy with Henry Stafford and they were married for 13 years and half
Yeah I know, but she herself didn’t acknowledge that match (or at least didn’t openly acknowledge it), so that’s my logic. Of course Henry was arguably the husband she was happiest with.

Yeah I know, but she herself didn’t acknowledge that match (or at least didn’t openly acknowledge it), so that’s my logic. Of course Henry was arguably the husband she was happiest with.
??? Margaret discarded her first never consummated (and quickly annulled) wedding to John de la Pole. Henry Stafford was just a knight so Margaret kept the Richmond style as that was an higher rank than his. The husband who Margaret slighted (and not only with styles) was Stanley (as Margaret refuted to be a plain Countess of Derby when he received the Earldom from her son: she was either the Countess of Richmond and Derby or My Lady the King’s Mother and also was made “femme sole” by her son)

??? Margaret discarded her first never consummated (and quickly annulled) wedding to John de la Pole. Henry Stafford was just a knight so Margaret kept the Richmond style as that was an higher rank than his. The husband who Margaret slighted (and not only with styles) was Stanley (as Margaret refuted to be a plain Countess of Derby when he received the Earldom from her son: she was either the Countess of Richmond and Derby or My Lady the King’s Mother and also was made “femme sole” by her son)
In her will and later writings she only ever referred to Edmund as her husband IIRC. The only hint of Stafford during the time period was a symbol of his on her tomb. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In her will and later writings she only ever referred to Edmund as her husband IIRC. The only hint of Stafford during the time period was a symbol of his on her tomb. Please correct me if I am wrong.
She had no reason for naming Stafford as he was long dead and their wedding childless and he had no brought any title to her so she had no reason for acting differently

She had no reason for naming Stafford as he was long dead and their wedding childless and he had no brought any title to her so she had no reason for acting differently
Margaret was smart enough to know which ties of hers to emphasize, even if she privately felt the most towards Henry.

Deleted member 147978

If Edmund of York perishes in battle at Ludlow just like his father, then may God bring his soul in heaven with his father then.

I hope Lord Clifford doesn't find and clap [aka kill] him in battle like he did to him IOTL. (Possibly for other reasons than personal revenge, eck.)

If Edmund of York perishes in battle at Ludlow just like his father, then may God bring his soul in heaven with his father then.

I hope Lord Clifford doesn't find and clap [aka kill] him in battle like he did to him IOTL. (Possibly for other reasons than personal revenge, eck.)
I have a feeling Edward is gonna die, and Edmund will become king.

Deleted member 147978

I have a feeling Edward is gonna die, and Edmund will become king.
I'm somewhat positively sure Edward IV is in London from what I have seen from the TL. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.)
Unless he kicks the bucket in some way, shape, or form Edmund would be crowned Yorkist King for sure like you had said but however he's heading off to Ludlow to do battle with the Lancastrians now.