A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Debatable, but that’s a whole other can of worms.
What alternative they had at that point? Losing their power, influence, most of their lands and likely their lives and being blamed for everything gone wrong? Somerset was the main responsible for the war NOT the Yorkist

What alternative they had at that point? Losing their power, influence, most of their lands and likely their lives and being blamed for everything gone wrong? Somerset was the main responsible for the war NOT the Yorkist
They literally could’ve gone to Ireland as asked, and not throw a rage quite cuz Richard wasn’t given what he wanted. No one was ever going to confiscate their lands.

They literally could’ve gone to Ireland as asked, and not throw a rage quite cuz Richard wasn’t given what he wanted. No one was ever going to confiscate their lands.
Richard II did with Henry Bolingbroke. That would still be within living memory. The Yorkists were quite justified in fearing the same would happen to them.

Richard II did with Henry Bolingbroke. That would still be within living memory. The Yorkists were quite justified in fearing the same would happen to them.
That’s different. Bolingbroke was in exile and the de-facto heir when Richard II withheld his titles and lands, York was alive with an adult and then innocent son, he had no reason to fear that a Bolingbroke situation would occur, especially since Henry VI was King.

That’s different. Bolingbroke was in exile and the de-facto heir when Richard II withheld his titles and lands, York was alive with an adult and then innocent son, he had no reason to fear that a Bolingbroke situation would occur, especially since Henry VI was King.
And Somerset was doing all the ruling and was trying to destroy them for years

Chapter 145: Brothers

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 145: Brothers

November, 1461

“How is Margaret?” The King asked.

“Well, she’s enjoying her confinement this time.” Edmund said.

“And Richard?” The King asked referring to Edmund’s son.

“He is confused. He wants to know where his mother is, and who I am.” Edmund said. It was one of the things that stung the most. His son didn’t even know who he was. He’d been gone too long.

“He’ll get to know you.” The King said reassuringly. “I know he will.”

Edmund grunted. He didn’t want to think about what might happen if his son didn’t get used to him.

“So, what do you think you will have this time?” The King asked. “A son or a daughter?”

“A daughter, I hope.” Edmund said.

“Oh?” The King replied sounding surprised.

“Yes,” Edmund said. “I think a daughter would be nice.” He didn’t offer anything more, he just wanted a daughter now.

The King grunted in response then said. “With any luck you will get to see your daughter be born and have your son get to know you better.”

Edmund raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. The King eventually elaborated on what he meant. “Salisbury sent word, Northumberland has surrendered.”

Edmund felt his eyes widen. “Northumberland? Truly?”

“Yes, it seems that he came to his senses.” The King said.

“What will you do now?” Edmund asked. He suspected that their uncle would push for Northumberland to be executed and his lands to be handed over to him.

“Northumberland surrendered after being defeated in a series of battles in the north. Alnwick was almost taken during one of those battles. He has said he will hand over his son and eldest daughter as a hostage if needs be. He wants peace.” The King said.

“Do you believe him?” Edmund asked, given how loyal Northumberland and his family had been to Henry of Lancaster, Edmund was quite surprised at this.

“I think he knows when a cause is done for.” The King said.

“So, you will pardon him?” Edmund asked.

“Yes, but he will not remain Earl of Northumberland. That title and most of the lands with it will go to Thomas. He will only keep Alnwick and its associated lands.” The King said.

Edmund was about to ask if that was a wise decision then remembered what he’d just thought and nodded his acceptance. “What about Westmorland?” The rivalry between that man and their uncle was legendary.

“He’s gone missing.” The King said.

“Missing?” Edmund asked, not sure if he’d misheard the King.

“Nobody knows where he is. They arrived at his home and found his wife and son, but not him.” The King said.

“How odd.” Edmund said.

“Indeed,” The King said. “I’m keeping his son as Earl of Westmorland though. I see no reason to punish the son for the mistakes of the father.”

Edmund nodded, that seemed wise. He then asked. “What of Wales?”

The King sighed. “In the spring we shall march there and drive Henry of Lancaster out. But for now, we shall leave him be.”

“And his wife and son?” Edmund asked, from what he’d heard they were either in Calais or in Nantes.

“They’re in Brittany, so we shall leave them be for now.” The King said.

Edmund nodded. “You know eventually something will have to be done about them though, don’t you?”

“Yes, of course. But for now, we shall recover and plan for the future ahead.” The King said.

Edmund let the issue go, then mentioned something else that had been concerning him as of late. “What about Exeter?”

The King sighed. “I do not know.”

“I think he needs to be thrown into the Tower.” Edmund said.

“He’s done nothing to warrant that.” The King said.

“He attacked our sister!” Edmund exclaimed. It was true, there had been a feast a few weeks ago where after much drinking, Exeter had gone for Anne with a knife. He’d been disarmed, but had played it off the next day as too much drink.

“He was drunk.” The King said. “And Anne has not asked for him to be dealt with.”

“Do you truly think she would?” Edmund asked. Their sister was a timid creature when it came to her husband. She was in love with him, Edmund suspected.

“If she felt her life was in danger, then yes.” The King said.

“Given Exeter’s behaviour, I think it will be.” Edmund said.

The King’s eyes narrowed. “What have you heard?” He asked.

“Nothing.” Edmund admitted. “But it doesn’t take much to suspect something might go wrong.”

The King sighed. “I will order guards to keep an eye on him, but he can’t be tried for something he hasn’t yet done.”

“Fine.” Edmund said, he’d ask his own men to keep an eye on his brother in law as well.

“Fine.” The King nodded.

Uh oh, looks like Holland is in trouble! Hopefully Margaret and Westminster are safe too. Wonder what Westmorland's disappearance is about? Brilliant update!