Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

That’s the thing about the British. Why send the Royal Navy in the future if you can use Chile to do the dirty work. Especially as they were going to invade at some point anyway thanks to the US.
I just don't think the Falklands would be any more than an afterthought unless Argentina actually goes to make a play for them.
Until Argentina actually invaded in 1982, I doubt virtually anyone who hadn't been in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines could have found the islands on a map.

Now if this is about keeping Brazil occupied on the otherhand, Belize is still important to the British, if Brazil is capable of reaching out to Argentina, then it's capable of reaching up to Central America.

Things to consider:
When Kat comes up MIA, Fan meet Fecal matter.
Kat herself will stir and send her minions forth and someone will be watching her and figuring what is going on.
Tilo is going to the area as AFAIK CinC of the area which means the Hellcats won't be the first out, its going to be the Sea Lions with all that entails.
Tilol gets his Baton finally as the first Marshal of the Marine Infantry?
And finally what if Gia decides to help her cousin out and sends Fyodor and her regiment to help Kiki out.

If Allende, Pinocet or Medici, (Brazilian President), get this too much further wrong, they may find themselves waking up next to a scare cat.
If the Scare cat has "Сделано в России" stamped on it then they're REALLY in trouble.

It is very logical for Great Britain to have a more major presence in the Falklands Islands ITTL because Germany has Naval bases in Smithtown, South Africa and Southern Argentina and that means they can basically block access from the South Atlantic to the Pacific and the South Atlantic to the Indian Oceans and they can choke off a lot of the world's ocean going trade.
Great Britain has probably a major ELINT field station on the Falklands a couple of large runways with hard points for refueling long range reconnaissance aircraft and other types of aircraft and port facilities for the Royal Navy.

I can see Great Britain and the United States "unofficially" giving support to Chile and Brazil as a counter balance to Germany and Argentina and France supporting Argentina for continued military sales and other forms of trade, but hopefully cooler heads will prevail because there is no real reason for the Great Powers of this timeline to go to war with each other.

The Brits probably won't be too pleased with Chile & Brazil doing this. Disrupts trade, you know? Besides, they're on reasonably good terms with the Germans by now, and they tend to sort things out diplomatically between themselves. Plus you have the Chileans, who IOTL are usually somewhat friendly with the UK re: Argentina, currently cosying up to the Yanks ITTL. Which means that the influence the UK has with Chile & Brazil is more likely to used to a) persuade them to stop shooting and/or b) act as an intermediary between the two sides once the shooting stops. For a fee, of course.

Future peace conference, post signing of the treaty to end the war:

Britain (sitting back in their chair): "Well, there we have it. All signed and sealed. And considering that no-one seems to be too happy or distraught over it, we think it's probably the best that we can manage, given the circumstances. Do we agree?"
Chile, Argentina, Brazil and Germany (all nod in reluctant agreement): "We suppose so"
The USA: "Just a question about this neutral observers clause... "
Britain: "Oh, yes. The one about the DMZ along the border? That's just to make sure no-one from any of the belligerents tries to re-militarise the disputed regions and/or border passes for the duration. We all agreed it was necessary."
USA: "Yeah, it's just the bit about who supplies and equips those observers while they're observing things."
Britain: "Well, obviously while the supplies will be sourced locally, the contracts should be handled via a completely neutral third party. Just to prevent accusations of trying to undermine the observer mission for the 10 year duration of the observation period. The same goes for their equipment. The costs to be paid by the belligerent parties as part of the treaty resolution process, of course."
USA (as the other countries begin to re-read the fine print): "Okaaayy. That seems fair."
France (muttering under their breath): "How do they keep finding a way to profit off these things?"
Germany (realising that their companies won't get those contracts): "I'm beginning to see why the Irish insist on using those long-handled spoons."

Part 121, Chapter 2035
Chapter Two Thousand Thirty-Five

21st December 1970

Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport

First a telegram and then a form letter informing Ben of things he already knew. Kiki had gone missing on the 4th of December in Argentina, and the Ministry of War said that they would notify him when they had further information, presumably from the Chilean Government. Then nothing for the next several days. He had gone to the Chilean Embassy and had refused to leave until he got answers. Eventually, using the title as Burggraf of Balderschwang he had tried to get through to the Chilean Ambassador to argue his case.

Kiki was one of the most harmless and caring people Ben knew, all she wanted was to help people. If the Chilean Military had her, it was because she was on a medical mission at the time. Instead of listening to him, they had thrown him out, but not before giving him the runaround. It was at that point that his brother-in-law told him to cut it out. They were working through diplomatic channels to find out what had happened, and his actions were not helping. The entire time he’d had the feeling that something was going on that Friedrich wasn’t telling him.

Finally, enough was enough. They had made the mistake of not taking him seriously and underestimating him at every turn.

Walking through the open doors of the hanger, Ben looked at the Black Knight. The aircrew had fitted her with three large ferry tanks for the long journey ahead. If the Chileans, and even Kiki’s brother, wanted to play games with him them they were about to find out that he was actually the sort who could change the rules if he wanted. And he knew for certain that they were going to be begging him to stop if they didn’t become a lot more forthcoming in a hurry.

Estancia María, Santa Cruz Province, Argentina

It came as no surprise to Jesus Aiza that the Argentine side of the border looked exactly the same as the Chilean side. The difference as he had discovered was that in this side there were people shooting at him at every turn. In the weeks since the war had started, the Army had swiftly discovered that they had a problem with partisans who knew every detail of the land they were fighting on.

Getting sent to the rear to help with this problem was seen at first as a godsend to Jesus and his men who had fought against boredom on the outskirts of Rio Gallegos. They had been swiftly disabused of this notion as they had suffered from repeated hit and run attacks and ambushes in unlikely places. It felt like they were chasing ghosts and not getting to the root of the problem. So, it was fortuitous that Intelligence finally came through regarding the suspected location of a German BND Hunter/Killer Team. It was what Intelligence regarded as the monster under the bed, for obvious reasons. They said that such teams usually had four or five members and they could look like anyone so be cautious. He brought along a half dozen of his men who were all armed with the automatic rifles that had the name Eugene Stoner stamped on the lower receivers for some reason. He had seen what those rifles could do if anyone were stupid enough to cause trouble. So, a small team of German soldier-spies didn’t scare him.

Pulling into the sheep station, Jesus looked with disgust at the small buildings made of wood that was heavily weathered and covered in peeling paint. It was a poor place in a country that was full of such places. The only reason for its existence was the river that flowed by. It was a wonder that people lived in a place like this, it certainly didn’t look habitable from his perspective. Getting out of his jeep, he walked over and started pounding on the door. He was surprised by the woman who answered.

“Is there an emergency?” She asked, Jesus couldn’t help but notice that she spoke with an instantly recognizable accent as he pushed his way into the laborer’s hut.

“No, Siniora” Jesus replied, “We have had reports of partisan activity.”

“Doctora” The woman said, correcting him. “This is a medical mission that has been complicated by your war, which I want no part in.”

Jesus stood there awkwardly. There was nothing to see here. Just a bed, a table, a few chairs, and a stove to heat the place.

“While you understand our nations are not formally at war” Jesus replied, “The are certain considerations that need to be taken. If I could see your papers, please.”

With a bit of reluctance, she handed him a passport that had an identification card in the fold. It identified her as Kristina Fischer and gave a street address in Berlin as her residence. The ID card was from something called Universitätsklinikum Friedrich-Wilhelm and had a picture which matched the passport photo. His saw the blue “Star of Life” symbol for Medical Personnel throughout the world printed on it, which was consistent with what she said she was. Then he noticed another symbol, one he had only seen once in a movie a few years earlier. An eagle with outstretched wings superimposed over a compass rose and wreath, German Special Forces FSR.

Jesus reached out and grabbed a fist full of the woman’s hair and twisted it. Outraged that she had tried to gull him like this.

“Where is the rest of your team?” Jesus demanded.

“There is no team” She replied, her voice filled with pain.

Then Jesus noted a sharp pain spreading from his arm and saw something flash in her hand below his chin. He was unable to say a word or take a breath as the strength went out of his legs and he crumbled to the floor.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“It wouldn’t have killed you to have left me alone” Kiki said as she heard the rifle fire outside as the Chilean Lieutenant’s men were swiftly dealt with. Her attempt at a bluff had clearly failed.

It was not as if the Lieutenant could answer her as he was leaning against the wall in a spreading pool of blood. She had cut the vagus nerve in his neck just after severing his brachial artery. It really hurt her to use her medical knowledge this way, but he had given her little choice. She had hoped to wait out this mess in this isolated location, but that plan clearly wasn’t going to work, Kiki thought to herself as she wiped the blood off her karambit.

Well this is Stupid Luck and Happenstance. So:
  • Kiki is dead. That's the Happenstance.
  • Kiki is alive, and now facing the prospect of a long trek home. That's the Stupid Luck.
  • Kiki is alive and in a Chilean POW camp. That's the Happenstance.
  • Kiki is alive but the Chileans don't have her, and she's tied up in a cellar somewhere while the CIA debate what to do with her. That's the Stupid (Bad) Luck...bad for both her and the CIA.
...and just as I'm about to post that I see things have updated, so we'll see :p

EDIT: It's Option Two :p
Or it s going to be complicated due to luck and happenstances :p.

She had hoped to wait out this mess in this isolated location, but that plan clearly wasn’t going to work, Kiki thought to herself as she wiped the blood off her karambit.
This is not a kitten, but a Tigress.

Not THE Tigress, a Tigress.
And there are more of them...

Ah, I see that Ben is going down the "I'm going to make the Chilean Air Force disappear" route
So long as Ben has movement orders from High Command then this is fine.
If he doesn't, he is looking at a dishonourable discharge at best, Jail, and a significant amount of it, at worst.
Unauthorised a sense is one thing, theft of military equipment is quite another.
He may have to burn every favour and every bit of publicity and good will he has to do this.

Of course, if he does have permission, (prior to the fact), and flies his Orkan from Germany to Argentina non stop, (using Air to air refuelling), then as a courtesy, the manufacturers should probably give Ben a small percentage of the sales following his flight.
Long range fighter/bomber with maratime capabilities? Australia would be interested, and Japan might wish to persue a licencing deal via Mitsubishi to build theirs locally.

It is very logical for Great Britain to have a more major presence in the Falklands Islands ITTL because Germany has Naval bases in Smithtown, South Africa and Southern Argentina and that means they can basically block access from the South Atlantic to the Pacific and the South Atlantic to the Indian Oceans and they can choke off a lot of the world's ocean going trade.
Great Britain has probably a major ELINT field station on the Falklands a couple of large runways with hard points for refueling long range reconnaissance aircraft and other types of aircraft and port facilities for the Royal Navy.

I can see Great Britain and the United States "unofficially" giving support to Chile and Brazil as a counter balance to Germany and Argentina and France supporting Argentina for continued military sales and other forms of trade, but hopefully cooler heads will prevail because there is no real reason for the Great Powers of this timeline to go to war with each other.
That's an angle I hadn't considered, one that makes a lot of sense too. I'd looked at it quite narrowly and missed the intelligence gathering side, I'd also quite forgotten about South Africa. This also made me think about Australia for the post above.

Thanks.

“It wouldn’t have killed you to have left me alone” Kiki said as she heard the rifle fire outside as the Chilean Lieutenant’s men were swiftly dealt with. Her attempt at a bluff had clearly failed.

It was not as if the Lieutenant could answer her as he was leaning against the wall in a spreading pool of blood. She had cut the vagus nerve in his neck just after severing his brachial artery. It really hurt her to use her medical knowledge this way, but he had given her little choice. She had hoped to wait out this mess in this isolated location, but that plan clearly wasn’t going to work, Kiki thought to herself as she wiped the blood off her karambit.
Ernesto 'Che' Guevara: "Note to self: Keep my hands to myself"
Finally, enough was enough. They had made the mistake of not taking him seriously and underestimating him at every turn.

Walking through the open doors of the hanger, Ben looked at the Black Knight. The aircrew had fitted her with three large ferry tanks for the long journey ahead. If the Chileans, and even Kiki’s brother, wanted to play games with him them they were about to find out that he was actually the sort who could change the rules if he wanted. And he knew for certain that they were going to be begging him to stop if they didn’t become a lot more forthcoming in a hurry.
Ah, I see that Ben is going down the "I'm going to make the Chilean Air Force disappear" route
I think Ben is thinking less disappearing the Chilean Air Force and more disappearing the Chilean Government and military high command. This could be very tragic, very bad and very effective. All at once. This is also going to make Kurt's ride to woo Gertha look exactly like the ride in the park it actually was. Ben's 'ride' to rescue or avenge his beloved could will be legendary. It will also get him cashiered, but I don't think he'll care too much about that.

Last edited:
Fuelling, arming and preparing an aircraft for flight requires far too many people for it to be completely unofficial. Especially if it requires aset of long range drop tanks for a trans Atlantic flight. And considering he's been harassing the Chilean embassay for several days, it more than enough time for the ground crew to know what's up, which means there's no chance of him pulling the wool over their eyes.

Last edited:
Fuelling, arming and preparing an aircraft for flight requires far too many people for it to be completely unofficial. Especially if it requires aset of long range drop tanks for a trans Atlantic flight. And considering he's been harassing the Chilean embassay for several days, it more than enough time for the ground crew to know what's up, which means there's no chance of him pulling the wool over their eyes.
I was literally part way through typing the same thought when your message popped up. x'D
This makes me think that it's not just Ben, but the whole Squadron being stood to.

If JG.1 are being left behind, they're going to be REALLY pissed off when Ben's Squadron get back...

Presumably Ben does have some authorisation to go. He's going to need fuel, ordnance and a crew once he gets there otherwise he's going to be the biggest idiot ever with a brand new plane stuck on the tarmac.

3 days later.png

"I'm going to kill him when I get my hands on him"
"Who Kiki"?
[Kiki gestures at the Black Orkan screaming away at zero feet] "Him".
"But why, he saved our lives"?
"Because Che, I told my husband VERY clearly, that he should stay out of this mess and NOT to do anything stupid. He never bloody listens..."
"Your... husband? Your Husband has flown half way across the world in, an admittedly very fine looking, jet fighter to save you? HAHAHAHAHAHA my friends at the hospital will never believe me when I tell them this. You Germans are absolutely crazy"!
---

"Oh crap Wim, she's going to kill me when she gets her hands on me"
"Who boss"?
"My Wife"
"Oh God, is she here? Wait, what? Was she down there"?
"She was, I could feel the glare from here, I'm surprised it didn't off your threat warning systems".
"Should we go back and check"?
"No, we're more likely to be sot down by her than anyone else, and I don't fancy facing the Squadron CO after that. Besides, the FSR will be along to pick her up shortly, climb to 1000m and keep an eye out for them please".

Ben, Ben....

you now have the most advanced fighter/bomber in all of south america, but..

...no ground crew, no spare parts, no resupply. How many sorties will you manage this way?

And militaries tend to have a dim view of officers who cut loose like that. I hope you had movement orders... if not, your ground crew is also in the deep for even putting those fuel tanks on your ride.

Maybe Ben and Zella came to a truce and she got her daddy to call in a few favours with the Luftwaffe to authorize an off the book's mission.