Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

I did notice. That was what sparked my curiosity :p Because I know that it can happen that people don't know they're pregnant until they suddenly go into labour, but there's usually other factors at play there...and I never heard of it happening to an actual doctor.

Of course, there is IIRC cancer that can make a woman appear positive on a pregnancy test, but don't think it'd fool a blood test.
I like the explanation she came up with. This is a medical units (non-lethal) version of fragging an unpopular officer.

I like the explanation she came up with. This is a medical units (non-lethal) version of fragging an unpopular officer.
I assumed that was her being paranoid rather than an actual thing :p

It's possible...but surely very risky for the perpetrators. Like, OK it might get her sent home but the moment someone does an ultrasound the jig's up and whoever it was tampered with things...even if they can pass it off as an accident, they get in bad odour for leaving their unit without a doctor when a war breaks out.

Time for Che Guevara and the German Princess' Great Trek across war-torn Argentina? Well, this story continues to live up to its name.

It had started with an argument between Doctor von Preussen and the Sergeant in charge of her security after he had received a radio transmission and had come back furious. Ernesto had hardly been able to understand the rapid-fire German that had gone back and forth. It had sounded like he had accused her of withholding information about something that Ernesto had been unable to catch. She had said that it was impossible, she hadn’t been with anyone since she had left Germany and that a mistake must have been made. Did she look like she was six-months along and wouldn’t she be the first to know? The Sergeant had turned and told her that he wasn’t alone in being tired of her constant lies and self-destructive behavior, so it didn’t matter what she was. The other three men present had agreed with that assessment. All of that was beside the point because with the Chileans coming. They were going back to Rio Gallegos that instant, and he was not going to listen to any more bullshit.
One of four things has occurred here:
1) Someone screwed up her medical back in Germany prior to her being deployed,
2) Someone has altered her blood test in Patagonia to get her recalled because she's making them look bad,
3) Someone has done the same thing to get her out of harms way or because they think she's going to self-destruct again,
4) Kiki and Ben's contraception methods weren't as effective as usual and she really is pregnant.

If the latter, it is possible for someone, even a doctor, to not realise that they are pregnant. Some pregnancies don't show. No morning sickness. Menstruation continues. Stress can mask the more typical signs. And Kiki had a pre-deployment medical that told her she wasn't pregnant, & she's faithful to her husband, so why would she even begin to think that she might be? Not to mention that the instant that she shows the slightest sign of being unwell, her entire regiment descends upon her to run every test currently known to medical science.

...even if they can pass it off as an accident, they get in bad odour for leaving their unit without a doctor when a war breaks out.
Lol, thats a good one. She is in a medical unit... so there should be more than one doctor...

The other things I find amazing, are that the USA seems to not get that it is bad form to constantly instigate proxy wars...
and that the British seem to also be involved in this... aren't they neck deep in the Chinese Civil War, so why poke Germany in this instance? I would have thought that in this time they have learned that European Cooperation is better for them all round.

Lol, thats a good one. She is in a medical unit... so there should be more than one doctor...
I know that. What I meant was leaving them a hand short, especially given that Kiki's damn good at what she does - yes her juniors might not appreciate that, but anyone with half a brain of a higher rank would be like 'So...your error or malice got our best doctor sent home...when a war broke out. Outstanding'.
The other things I find amazing, are that the USA seems to not get that it is bad form to constantly instigate proxy wars...
and that the British seem to also be involved in this... aren't they neck deep in the Chinese Civil War, so why poke Germany in this instance? I would have thought that in this time they have learned that European Cooperation is better for them all round.
Yeah...it's an odd one, alright.

It's possible, my step daughter is a nurse and didn't realise she was pregnant until she was 7 months along.
Wow. OK, I'm ignorant clearly :)

I mean, you are assuming that the security detail was told the truth about why she was being recalled, or isn't inferring something.

If all they were told was "Blood test results came back, she is to be brought home by all means necessary" it would be reasonable for them to assume she's pregnant, whereas it could be something very different.

Maybe I'm crazy, or just looking for grimdark where there is none, but there is the possibility she could be afflicted with a disease instead.

I mean, you are assuming that the security detail was told the truth about why she was being recalled, or isn't inferring something.

If all they were told was "Blood test results came back, she is to be brought home by all means necessary" it would be reasonable for them to assume she's pregnant, whereas it could be something very different.

Maybe I'm crazy, or just looking for grimdark where there is none, but there is the possibility she could be afflicted with a disease instead.
I dunno... I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that that's the first places their minds would go if they were just told 'Blood test results came back, she is to be brought home by all means necessary'. I mean, remember that they gave her the blood test because there was an outbreak of Hepatitis among the personnel - in those circumstances wouldn't her guards be more likely to go 'Scheiße, she's got Hepatitis'? I think they'd have had to have pregnancy specifically mentioned to make that leap.

It's possible, my step daughter is a nurse and didn't realise she was pregnant until she was 7 months along.
Don't get me wrong, I believe ya, and I've read a news report once about how some high schooler got into labour during her final exams and she didn't know she was pregnant the entire time, but how does that happen?

Also, I think what happened was that there's been a mix-up - it's a military unit, fuck-ups are bound to happen - and that there's actually nothing wrong with Kiki, but the JMS guys decided not to chance anything and wanted her recalled. And then the "Chilean Air Force" happened.

Marc A

ferdi254

Banned
Marc, some decades ago I had the job of telling an HR software that a woman was a mother now while no pregnancy was in the system. Took some fidgeting I can tell you. As a matter of fact that woman (studied, highly paid manager) went to see a doctor for some stomach pain that turned out to be a sound boy of 3.2 kg.

She had mixed feelings but the father was less than thrilled to put it extremely mildly as it had been a one night stand outside his marriage 9 months ago.

Such things do happen.

So basically what could happen is that Kiki doesn’t arrive on time, causing the Germans to send some one to look her, however only find the wreak. The information gets quickly booted up the chain and a causes a massive escalation of German involvement if not out right war. By the time Kiki is found, half the German military is already on its way to pound Chile back to the Stone Age.

In two words, Falkland Islands.
While true that those are interesting for Argentina, I would have thought that the overall better position of the British would have detered that interest somewhat. Add that the Argentinian patrons, ie. the Germans, have relatively good relations with the British, including dynastic ones, and are very involved with the industry down there and in my mind the cons simply were so much bigger that the Argentiniens put that away as a bad idea.

But if it is more of a British fear, then yes it makes some sense...

In other words, the British have decided that Argentina is getting a little too strong and wanted them distracted and weakened from fighting Chile and Brazil. All this so an economically prosperous and stable democratic Argentina doesn’t decide to claim the Falklands.

OTL, the Falklands had two main uses: South Atlantic coaling Station and Whaling Station. By this point, (again, OTL), Britain had been looking to offload some of its less strategically important outposts. The British government, even as late as 1981, were looking for a way to unload the Falklands and maintain face.

ITTL, they don't have the crippling debt, the Empire has evolved nicely into the Commonwealth, relations are generally good and given how unthreatened Britain is, and that coaling stations aren't needed anymore, the Argentines could probably arrange a deal with Britain to take over the Falklands in return for respecting the Kelpers and allowing basing rights for the Royal Navy.

I don't think Britain, if sane, would be so hung up over the Islands this time around?

In other words, the British have decided that Argentina is getting a little too strong and wanted them distracted and weakened from fighting Chile and Brazil. All this so an economically prosperous and stable democratic Argentina doesn’t decide to claim the Falklands.
This on the otherhand makes sense, although I don't think this has anything to do with the Islands, just Britain being perfidious Albion.
Even ITTL Argentina isn't up to facing down the Royal Navy.

This on the otherhand makes sense, although I don't think this has anything to do with the Islands, just Britain being perfidious Albion.
Even ITTL Argentina isn't up to facing down the Royal Navy.
That’s the thing about the British. Why send the Royal Navy in the future if you can use Chile to do the dirty work. Especially as they were going to invade at some point anyway thanks to the US.