Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

I mean, even if it is Kiki that doesn't mean she's dead.

...heck, that could be a whole new arc. She's alive but loses use of an arm or some other injury that means she can't do military medicine again.

Part 121, Chapter 2033
Chapter Two Thousand Thirty-Three

5th December 1970

Mitte, Berlin

Your entire job is to be calm when everyone else in the room is panicking. That was what Freddy’s father had told him before he had pointedly retired from his public role. Of course, his father had also said that his sisters and in time, his daughters, seemed to exist for no other reason than to drive him insane. He was reminded of both these things by the events of the prior days and what landed on his desk on a Friday morning.

The rapid deterioration of situation in Argentina had gotten everyone’s attention. With the Chilean Army making rapid advances, there was some question as to whether or not they had backed the right country in South America. Then the Brazilian Government announced that they were mobilizing their Army with the stated purpose of containing the conflict. Everyone knew that Brazil was a lot closer to Argentina and where any move to involve themselves in matters would fall hardest. It was a means of declaring war while keeping it palatable to bodies like the League of Nations, similar to how efforts to “contain the conflict” had played out in the Balkans a few years earlier. It was a position that was anything but neutral. Word was expected at any time that the Brazilian Army would have grabbed territory that was long disputed.

Freddy knew that he needed to look beyond what was happening at that particular moment and consider the larger picture. Both Chile and Brazil were dependent on resource extraction and agriculture. The current Government of Brazil was the latest in a long string of Military backed juntas with each having been unstable as the Officers in the Military had fought among themselves. The situation in Chile was different, with a President who had overpromised to get into office and then had been unable to deliver due to external factors like the price of metals on the world markets. Saber-rattling had been done to distract from domestic concerns but there were greater powers with interests in the region who were more than happy to lend aid to advance their own interests.

How would things play out in the long run though? That was a different picture. What happened when an agrarian nation, or even a coalition of agrarian nations, took on an emerging industrial power? History provided the answer for the typical outcome of this sort of situation. The actions of Chile and Brazil were not from a position of strength and their timing was the result of what they perceived as a closing window of opportunity. That didn’t mean that this was not going to be a protracted affair. That Alpine Troops from the Argentine Army were advancing on Tierra del Fuego, which was strategically important as opposed to a largely empty countryside said as much.

Freddy had discussed this matter with the Chancellor and had been told that Generaloberst Dietrich Schultz was being sent to Argentina along with whatever resources he needed to stabilize the situation. It was a move that Freddy fully endorsed, having served on the Marine Infantry General’s Staff in Poland.

That had been when the day had taken a sudden turn as two messages deemed personally important landed on Freddy’s desk. The first was that a blood sample taken from his sister had raised several questions and had prompted her immediate recall from the field. The head of her security detail had taken matters into hand and had radioed that he was returning to base with her. The second was that they had not arrived back in Rio Gallegos before the city had found itself encircled the next day. Presently, Kiki was considered missing along with the four men of her security detail and at least one colleague. It was a colossal mess and while Freddy knew that Kiki tended to ignore her own personal needs in the field, she was taking it to an extreme this time if what was suspected even might be true. And for Kiki’s sake, Freddy realized that not a word about this could be leaked. This was exactly the sort of situation his father warned him about.

Jade Bight

SMS Z66 “Schwertwal” was putting to sea for real this time. This was no short patrol in the North Sea trading insults with the Limeys and workers on the oil platforms as they cruised the circuit between Wilhelmshaven, Gothenburg, and Scapa Flow. Louis Junior had overseen the final preparations as crates mostly containing tins of food had been crammed into every available centimeter of space that wasn’t already occupied. It wasn’t until they had cast off from the Pier in Wilhelmshaven that Kapitan-zur-See Wruck had told the crew of their destination.

They were going to join the South Atlantic Squadron to aid their Allies in that region. This was met with raucous applause by the crew because everyone knew that was where the action was at the moment.

It gave Louis pause though.

If whatever was happening in the South Atlantic required a ship like the Schwertwal to be involved, then that meant that he could expect that they would be up to their eyeballs in it. It was part and parcel with what he had seen in the Adriatic Sea with Albanian Q-Ships and Mafia backed gunrunners. What surprises did the Chilean Navy have in store for them? And would they figure it out before it got them all killed? Louis had heard that experience gave perspective. Was this what was meant by that?

Last edited:
Surprisingly less spectacular than I have been led to believe...

It depends on both the consistency of the excrement in question and the type (& speed) of the rotary air impeller.
The first was that a blood sample taken from his sister had raised several questions and had prompted her immediate recall from the field. The head of her security detail had taken matters into hand and had radioed that he was returning to base with her. The second was that they had not arrived back in Rio Gallegos before the city had found itself encircled the next day. Presently, Kiki was considered missing along with the four men of her security detail and at least one colleague. It was a colossal mess and while Freddy knew that Kiki tended to ignore her own personal needs in the field, she was taking it to an extreme this time if what was suspected even might be true.
Yep. Sounds like Kiki is pregnant and probably unaware of that little detail. Ben will need to be sat on. Kat could go feral if ANY of HER girls is hurt or missing, especially if she is officially retired now, because the leash would be off then. Regardless, the KSK will descend upon Patagonia to conduct CS&R. Sao Paulo and Santiago might also receive a clandestine "visit" from them as well.

Yep. Sounds like Kiki is pregnant and probably unaware of that little detail.
Sounds like.
Ben will need to be sat on. Kat could go feral if ANY of HER girls is hurt or missing, especially if she is officially retired now, because the leash would be off then. Regardless, the KSK will descend upon Patagonia to conduct CS&R. Sao Paulo and Santiago might also receive a clandestine "visit" from them as well.
A thought occurs... Depending on if Chilean ground forces advanced to that location, is this the point that the CIA does something monumentally stupid? As in ‘all German forces to vacate Argentina in exchange for Princess Kristina’s return’ level of stupid.

Part 121, Chapter 2034
Chapter Two Thousand Thirty-Four

7th December 1970

Estancia María, Santa Cruz Province, Argentina

It had started with an argument between Doctor von Preussen and the Sergeant in charge of her security after he had received a radio transmission and had come back furious. Ernesto had hardly been able to understand the rapid-fire German that had gone back and forth. It had sounded like he had accused her of withholding information about something that Ernesto had been unable to catch. She had said that it was impossible, she hadn’t been with anyone since she had left Germany and that a mistake must have been made. Did she look like she was six-months along and wouldn’t she be the first to know? The Sergeant had turned and told her that he wasn’t alone in being tired of her constant lies and self-destructive behavior, so it didn’t matter what she was. The other three men present had agreed with that assessment. All of that was beside the point because with the Chileans coming. They were going back to Rio Gallegos that instant, and he was not going to listen to any more bullshit.

Ernesto was given the choice of either going with them or walking. That was how he had found himself in the backseat of the Iltis as the Sergeant, the Corporal who was driving were in the front and the other two men who were different flavors of Lance Corporal were riding in the back with the remaining supplies. They had done this to prevent Kristina from jumping out the back when they came to a stop. It seemed that she had done that sort of thing before and they were not taking any chances.

Over the last couple months, Ernesto had observed Doctor von Preussen and had found that she was not to his liking. She was beautiful, however he found her to be boring. She was entirely too straitlaced, driven, and married. Watching her get thrown into the back of an Iltis like a sack of flour because of things that she had done in the past revealed that she apparently had a bit more depth than he had thought.

It had been on the road back to Rio Gallegos where the things had really gone sideways with the appearance of the Chilean Airforce. The Iltis had been strafed, Ernesto remembered the sound of shells hitting the bonnet and exploding, seconds before the Corporal had lost control of the vehicle and it had careened into the ditch on the side of the road. Ernesto must have hit his head because everything had gone black at that point. When he came to, he saw that the Iltis was resting on its side and that Kiki was standing with a pair of Gauchos who had come to help. The Corporal and the Sergeant had been torn apart by shell fragments and the two in the back had been thrown from the vehicle when it had crashed, that had ended badly for them.

To Ernesto’s surprise Doctor von Preussen was weeping for the men who had been so abrupt with her just a couple hours earlier. The Iltis was a total loss, that included much of the equipment that they’d had and especially the radio. Ernesto had figured that they were sort of screwed at that point, but it had not been until they had arrived at Estancia María that the full picture became clearer. It was not good. There were entire armies between them and any sort of safety. The people here knew Doctor von Preussen from the medical missions and saw helping her as a means of returning that debt. What had surprised him, but really shouldn’t have was that she had ditched her uniform for civilian clothes worn by the of the people in this region shortly later though she still was more than happy to be a Physician. It showed what she really considered her profession to be. The military rank was just superficial trappings and if she needed to dispense with it in order to hide until she had a workable plan, that wasn’t a problem. Ernesto could also see that she looked the part of a local woman with her dark hair and her blue eyes were not out of place. There were a lot of people in Patagonia descended from Welsh and German-Swiss settlers from the prior century about. The trouble was the way she walked, like if she owned whatever place she happened to be and when she opened her mouth, she couldn’t help but sounding urbane and educated.

“I know a lot about head injuries” Doctor von Preussen had said, when Ernesto had asked why she was putting up with him not contributing much for the first couple days.

“How is that?” Ernesto asked, half-jokingly.

“What happened a couple days ago wasn’t the first time someone tried to kill me” Doctor von Preussen replied, “One of the other times left me with a skull fracture. At least this time, it was simply being in the wrong place, impersonal, you know.”

That was a shocking detail about her. He would have thought that the daughter of the German Kaiser led a sort of charmed life. It seemed that Doctor von Preussen’s life was anything but that. As for what that argument with the Sergeant had been about, she waved that off. “Those jackals have not honored a single boundary of mine since I arrived in this wasteland” She said, “I would not put messing with the results of a blood sample to cause me trouble past them. Especially if they think that the result could get me sent home.”

Ernesto couldn’t imagine having to consider that and had said as much to Doctor von Preussen. He had also called her that and she had asked him not to. If they were stuck together, they might as well be friends and her friends called her Kiki. It was an odd request from her.

“It’s a nickname” Kiki said when Ernesto asked about it. “One my brothers gave me.”

“Deal then” Ernesto replied, “Only if you call me Che.”

“Why would you want that?” Kiki asked.

“Why would you want to be called Kiki?” He asked in reply.

Last edited:
Is kiki dead and the others too? Injured? Alive?
Well this is Stupid Luck and Happenstance. So:
  • Kiki is dead. That's the Happenstance.
  • Kiki is alive, and now facing the prospect of a long trek home. That's the Stupid Luck.
  • Kiki is alive and in a Chilean POW camp. That's the Happenstance.
  • Kiki is alive but the Chileans don't have her, and she's tied up in a cellar somewhere while the CIA debate what to do with her. That's the Stupid (Bad) Luck...bad for both her and the CIA.
...and just as I'm about to post that I see things have updated, so we'll see :p

EDIT: It's Option Two :p

If you didn't notice, that was her question as well.
I did notice. That was what sparked my curiosity :p Because I know that it can happen that people don't know they're pregnant until they suddenly go into labour, but there's usually other factors at play there...and I never heard of it happening to an actual doctor.

Of course, there is IIRC cancer that can make a woman appear positive on a pregnancy test, but don't think it'd fool a blood test.