X Marks the Spot - A Nintendo and Microsoft console timeline

So I've seen plenty of Sony/Nintendo team-up timelines, and some Sega/Microsoft timelines, but not a single Microsoft/Nintendo timeline.

It's known by now that Microsoft offered to acquire Nintendo sometime before they (Microsoft) entered the hardware business, only to be laughed out by Nintendo's execs. But what if Microsoft approached them with more tact, and instead offered to collaborate with them on their next console, rather than outright acquire them? It would have the guts of OTL's Xbox, as well as use the DVD format, and Microsoft could help produce the more mature software that their previous consoles lacked, at least in comparison to what the Sega Genesis and PlayStation had.

would have the guts of OTL's Xbo
The reverse would be a gamecube with HDD if MS promises to help with the cost, MS didn't have a physical console till much later and Nintendo already have the dolphin ready to go( IBM billonaire contract, the start up Nintendo helped for GC gpu was already bought by ATI, etc) maybe MS could ask Nintendo for more ram but show Nintendo already have their console ready when MS only have a vague idea and financing some start up (gigapixel)

would it be possible for Microsoft to integrate DirectX with Dolphin somehow? I imagine a sticking point for them would be to make Dolphin more PC-friendly from a developmental standpoint

would it be possible for Microsoft to integrate DirectX with Dolphin somehow? I imagine a sticking point for them would be to make Dolphin more PC-friendly from a developmental standpoint
They can, they did it later on for the x360 that is very similar dolphin idea ( IBM PowerPC based with an ATI/AMD GPU) even if x360 is more powerful because is derivated from cell.

If anything MS didn't even have a physical hardware yet so they can adapt all the software easily, maybe ask to buff the GC( more ram or more MHz in the innards) too.

I think the latter option would probably be the likeliest, as I was thinking of Microsoft approaching Nintendo in early 1999 or so. The Xbox hadn't been built or developed at that point, and Nintendo hadn't formed a partnership with IBM yet for the GameCube's CPU. As a result of this, the Nintendo X (what I'm gonna refer to their sixth gen as) has the Xbox's 733 MHz CPU, instead of the GameCube's 485 MHz CPU. Maybe not the exact same CPU as Xbox's (probably slightly weaker), but one that would them at a massive advantage over the PS2's 294 MHz CPU and make the porting process for PC games much easier.

I think the latter option would probably be the likeliest, as I was thinking of Microsoft approaching Nintendo in early 1999 or so. The Xbox hadn't been built or developed at that point, and Nintendo hadn't formed a partnership with IBM yet for the GameCube's CPU. As a result of this, the Nintendo X (what I'm gonna refer to their sixth gen as) has the Xbox's 733 MHz CPU, instead of the GameCube's 485 MHz CPU. Maybe not the exact same CPU as Xbox's (probably slightly weaker), but one that would them at a massive advantage over the PS2's 294 MHz CPU and make the porting process for PC games much easier.
Yeah timing is the key, if they're able to get it before the IBM deal that changes a lot of things(Intel Coppermine was MS idea and was maybe their best deal as GPU was Nvidia and that one was a mess) plus depending what happened to the starts up they were financing(gigapixel for MS, Cagent and Artx for Nintendo respectly) ended up choosing, would be a powerful and far cheaper GPU than Nvidia one, can you say price drops on 03 and 05 very easily, this could change the timetable of HD generation, as an X360/Tako equivalent would be launched 2007, and far cheaper otlXZ360

Another thing that comes to mind is that the original plans for the N64DD initially included fully-fledged online functionality (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64DD#Randnet). While the N64DD wouldn't change ITTL, I could see Yamauchi agreeing to letting Microsoft work on the online infrastructure (seeing as how Xbox Live was a big part of the original Xbox), as the DD's online components was Yamauchi's idea, and I feel like being able to integrate it into a sixth-gen console with Microsoft's help would be an enticing thought.

Another thing that comes to mind is that the original plans for the N64DD initially included fully-fledged online functionality (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64DD#Randnet). While the N64DD wouldn't change ITTL, I could see Yamauchi agreeing to letting Microsoft work on the online infrastructure (seeing as how Xbox Live was a big part of the original Xbox), as the DD's online components was Yamauchi's idea, and I feel like being able to integrate it into a sixth-gen console with Microsoft's help would be an enticing thought.
We could be at the last minute to butterfly away the 64dd but perhaps no, plus I could see Nintendo just folding the Randnet on japan on the future service to be worked on with MS(so just not shutting it down but evolving the idea, more if the Nintendo X is released in OTL dates) surprised the idea of Nintendo allowing other watching their gameplay. Proto Streaming already.

Another butterfly would be Star Wars Rouge leader and Wave race blue storm coming with online straight of the box, the same for SSBM when released. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Fever_2000 might be ported to N64 and later 2001 as a GC launch title this could help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Field_Productions as Kobe Bryant Baskeball and NST/Rare as Ken Griffith jr baseball would be alive, at least Nintendo sports might not die as badly as OTL.

That's what I thought would happen too.
That is up Stamper Bros wishes, if they want to sell as OTL or do something else

Another butterfly would be Star Wars Rouge leader and Wave race blue storm coming with online straight of the box, the same for SSBM when released.
I can see Melee being delayed until 2002 or so if that's the case, given how rushed the game's development was, and how an online component would need more time.

IOTL, Battlefield 1942 was originally conceived of as a GameCube exclusive, but that didn't pan out due to the GameCube lacking online functionality. So I can that happening ITTL easily.

And speaking of software for the console, would Microsoft still want to produce their own games for the Nintendo X? I already mentioned the Rareware joint venture, but would they still go for Bungie ITTL and make Halo their flagship series, or would they just let Nintendo do the heavylifting?

And speaking of software for the console, would Microsoft still want to produce their own games for the Nintendo X? I already mentioned the Rareware joint venture, but would they still go for Bungie ITTL and make Halo their flagship series, or would they just let Nintendo do the heavylifting?
Umm, if the idea is to allow easier porting to PC and vice-versa I could see they do it, NFL fever as an example, and if MS wants to make games, if MS funded the game I doubt Nintendo would say No, is a free Console Exclusive game for the system, they would be happy as means more game son the Pipeline, nice mention of Halo, OTL MS bought Bungie so the game would be a Windows Exclusive, to Begin with, I could see that happening regardless the console plans. MS game studios would be a little smaller than OTL but more focused on other genres of games(Forza I could see happening, the same Halo, Mech Warrior is 50/50, some other might be butterfly away)

I can see Melee being delayed until 2002 or so if that's the case, given how rushed the game's development was, and how an online component would need more time.
And would be the best for Sakurai's Mental happiness as extra time allow more polish, maybe Snake could get Into Melee ITTL, dunno if someone else....

IOTL, Battlefield 1942 was originally conceived of as a GameCube exclusive, but that didn't pan out due to the GameCube lacking online functionality. So I can that happening ITTL easily.
A maxim, the less stuff EA has in any TL, the better.

A maxim, the less stuff EA has in any TL, the better.
So in that case, I can see Nintendo handling publishing duties for Battlefield and Mirror's Edge ITTL, and possibly even acquiring DICE as a whole if push comes to shove. As for other first-party and second-party developers, the usual suspects would still apply (HAL, Intelligent Systems, GameFreak, Retro Studios, etc.), and I could also see Nintendo retaining Silicon Knights if the seventh-gen console ends up being as powerful as the 360/PS3, though that's still some ways off.

In terms of third-party developers, I'd assume they attract a sizable amount of PC developers like the Xbox did OTL, such as Bethesda and BioWare. Splinter Cell, Dead or Alive, and Ninja Gaiden would probably also be exclusives in terms of OTL Xbox exclusives (and I'd imagine Tecmo would be much more willing to give exclusive support to the Japanese Nintendo), and Shinji Mikami would likely still make Capcom Studio 4 go Nintendo-exclusive, though their titles will likely be successful enough to keep them as exclusives.

So in that case, I can see Nintendo handling publishing duties for Battlefield and Mirror's Edge ITTL, and possibly even acquiring DICE as a whole if push comes to shove. As for other first-party and second-party developers, the usual suspects would still apply (HAL, Intelligent Systems, GameFreak, Retro Studios, etc.), and I could also see Nintendo retaining Silicon Knights if the seventh-gen console ends up being as powerful as the 360/PS3, though that's still some ways off.
Yeah as said before, the less STUFF EA owns the better, plus no Frosbite Engine to EA, meaning they will not force into every developer's throats ittl. if anything a net positive for gaming(Nintendo with frostbite would be something else too) plus MS would publish the PC version of those game ITTL too.

nd I could also see Nintendo retaining Silicon Knights if the seventh-gen console ends up being as powerful as the 360/PS3, though that's still some ways off.
Dunno About SK, Dennis Dyack, to put it mildly, is a fucking Diva and he like Factor 5 could try to convince Sony to fund too human ittl, or maybe he finishes the original concept of too Human for Nintendo X ittl? Could be as his studio might not be needed to remake Metal Gear Solid ITTL(can do it konami itself or they could just port MSG2 ITTL)

Dead or Alive, and Ninja Gaiden would probably also be exclusives in terms of OTL Xbox exclusives (and I'd imagine Tecmo would be much more willing to give exclusive support to the Japanese Nintendo), a
OTL people wanted NG and DOA on GC and never happened. ITTL Itagaki is a good friend of iwata and might push it as much as OTL specially as NX is far more powerful the PS2 so I an see both happening.

and Shinji Mikami would likely still make Capcom Studio 4 go Nintendo-exclusive, though their titles will likely be successful enough to keep them as exclusives.
I THINK Capcom was never to hold up that promise but could change ITTL. Especially with Viewtiful Joe and Maybe Dead Phoneix is not canceled ITTL, RE4 will be a big piece of resistance regardless. A butterfly, the original Monster Hunter could be multiplat or Exclusive to Nintendo ITTL, the same Dos/2.

terms of third-party developers
there a third party we ignored, Level-5, otl they where working on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Fantasy_Live_Online HERE it might be finished and become Nintendo and MS own Phantasy Star online.

Level-5 was more of a Sony second-party during the sixth generation, producing exclusives like Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy, but this could the impetus ITTL for them to go third-party.
MS own Phantasy Star online.
I feel like having Microsoft own Sega would make this timeline way too one-sided. Having Nintendo and Microsoft's games all be exclusives, plus with how more PS2 games will likely see multiplatform releases, this would basically skew things way too much in their favor.
Dunno About SK, Dennis Dyack, to put it mildly, is a fucking Diva and he like Factor 5 could try to convince Sony to fund too human ittl, or maybe he finishes the original concept of too Human for Nintendo X ittl? Could be as his studio might not be needed to remake Metal Gear Solid ITTL(can do it konami itself or they could just port MSG2 ITTL)
Silicon Knights was basically on-board with whatever Nintendo were doing until they saw that the Wii wouldn't be a cutting-edge console in terms of tech, though Denis Dyack is a diva, all things considered.
I THINK Capcom was never to hold up that promise but could change ITTL. Especially with Viewtiful Joe and Maybe Dead Phoneix is not canceled ITTL, RE4 will be a big piece of resistance regardless. A butterfly, the original Monster Hunter could be multiplat or Exclusive to Nintendo ITTL, the same Dos/2.
Capcom backed out at the eleventh hour in regards to RE4. I imagine it would still take more fighting on Mikami's part, but it was the GameCube's bad sales that ultimately spurred Capcom to send RE4 to the PS2. Remember, Shinji Mikami hated Sony and the same would likely still apply here, plus there's a larger gap in power between ITTL's Nintendo X and the PS2, at least when compared to OTL's GameCube and PS2.

Level-5 was more of a Sony second-party during the sixth generation, producing exclusives like Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy, but this could the impetus ITTL for them to go third-party
They always where a third party just seems Enix and Sony where more willingly to fund projects for them , and they worked that game otl here could be released.

like having Microsoft own Sega would make this timeline way too one-sided. Having Nintendo and Microsoft's games all be exclusives, plus with how more PS2
I say their own equivalent not they own sega at all, maybe I should have been more clear on my ideas but the idea was that a finished true fantasy could be the Nintendo and microsoft equivalent of Phantasy Star online as the flagship mmorpg.

Silicon Knights was basically on-board with whatever Nintendo were doing until they saw that the Wii wouldn't be a cutting-edge console in terms of tech, though Denis Dyack is a diva, all things considered.
That is why I say is 50-50, they could stay as leave but hardly a big loss regardless.

Capcom backed out at the eleventh hour in regards to RE4. I imagine it would still take more fighting on Mikami's part, but it was the GameCube's bad sales that ultimately spurred Capcom to send RE4 to the PS2. Remember, Shinji Mikami hated Sony and the same would likely still apply here, plus there's a larger gap in power between ITTL's Nintendo X and the PS2, at least when compared to OTL's GameCube and PS2.
I always got the opposite impression, that capcom wanted the game to be multi day one but Mikami did value his worth and fought teeth and nails till the bitter end. Even RE4 wasn't that optimized for GC. Here could be different, specially with the power gap being noticable and a PC version being a hook for Capcom. Still i don't count with capcom word at all.

I say their own equivalent not they own sega at all, maybe I should have been more clear on my ideas but the idea was that a finished true fantasy could be the Nintendo and microsoft equivalent of Phantasy Star online as the flagship mmorpg.
IOTL, Level-5 and Microsoft's relationship went down the toilet because of True Fantasy Live Online, but since that was apparently due to Microsoft's inexperience with Japanese developers, that could be butterflied away by having Nintendo work with Level-5 instead. As a tradeoff, Microsoft could instead handle publishing duties for Battlefield.

IOTL, Level-5 and Microsoft's relationship went down the toilet because of True Fantasy Live Online, but since that was apparently due to Microsoft's inexperience with Japanese developers, that could be butterflied away by having Nintendo work with Level-5 instead. As a tradeoff, Microsoft could instead handle publishing duties for Battlefield.
That could work, specially as DICE is a PC developer make sense.

1999 - 2001, Nintendo/Microsoft
Alright, so to recap:

• Around 1999, Microsoft approaches Nintendo to collaborate on a video game console. While Nintendo already had Dolphin ready, Microsoft decides to provide them with a much more powerful CPU (Around 700 MHz or so), a more powerful ArtX GPU (230 MHz), and to develop the online infrastructure of Dolphin, so that it would resemble a combination of OTL's Randnet for the N64 DD and Xbox Live. The more powerful specifications was insisted upon by Microsoft, as they wanted to bring a number of PC-based developers to consoles in order to combat Sony. Microsoft also insists on using DVD technology instead of minidisks, as they afforded more storage than the latter format
  • While ArtX is initially disappointed to learn that the Flipper GPU was scrapped by Nintendo, Microsoft's GPU was much more powerful and only helped enhance Dolphin, so they went along with it.
  • The Nintendo X is first announced in 2000, with Nintendo and Microsoft beginning to court developers for the system around this time. Nintendo first approaches Enix, as losing Dragon Quest VII is what killed the N64DD (which was originally supposed to be developed for), but Enix is very cautious, albeit impressed with the system's architecture and the online capabilities. Meanwhile Microsoft approaches Bethesda, BioWare, and id Software for their support, which they all accept, believing that the porting process from PC to the X would be made smoother. Both Microsoft and Nintendo are also impressed by DICE's pitch for a historical shooter game with online capabilities, and sign an exclusivity deal with them for said game, Battlefield 1942.
  • When devkits are sent out to Capcom and Tecmo, Shinji Mikami and Tomonobu Itagaki are very impressed with the system's power, and decide to develop exclusively for the Nintendo X. Tecmo is much more enthusiastic about it, immediately switching development of Ninja Gaiden to the Nintendo X, while Itagaki works on porting Dead or Alive 3 to the X. Capcom however, is much more cautious about the X, like with Enix. They think its online capabilities are perfect for fighting games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Street Fighter III, but Mikami wanted to make Resident Evil fully exclusive to the X, when it previously prioritized the PS1, and were worried about losing that audience. As a compromise, they agree to test the waters with Studio 4's latest new IP, Hideki Kamiya's Devil May Cry, and if it's successful enough, they will move forward with Mikami's proposition.
  • In terms of first-party software, Masahiro Sakurai and Satoru Iwata decide to delay Super Smash Bros. Melee in order to accommodate for online play, while Wave Race has it implemented much more easily. Rareware also begin work on a sequel to Perfect Dark, hoping to integrate its multiplayer with online functionality. Nintendo also expands Retro Studios, having one team work on Metroid Prime, and another work on a new Ken Griffey Jr. game with online play. Microsoft positions Bungie's Halo as the marquee launch title for the X due to its online functionality and technical prowess, and both they and Nintendo sign a deal with Level-5 to create a new online MMO.
  • At E3 2001, Nintendo and Microsoft announce the Nintendo X, due for release in 2001. Physically, it's wider than the GameCube but smaller than the Xbox, being closer in size to the PS2 than anything. Its online functionality is its biggest boon, titled Nintendo World Network and coming with online play for compatible games, as well as a digital storefront and web browser, both of which were ideas originally thought of for Randnet. They announce the launch titles for the system, the most notable of which are Luigi's Mansion, Halo, Ken Griffey Jr.'s Moonshot, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Devil May Cry, Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing, and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II, with Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Battlefield 1942, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell all confirmed to be releasing in 2002. They also announce new but currently-untitled entries in the Mario Kart, Perfect Dark, and Ninja Gaiden series, set for release "beyond 2002", as well as Gold Chronicle, ITTL's version of True Fantasy Live Online (AN: that title sounds stupid), being an ambitious MMO developed by Level-5.
  • The Nintendo X releases on November 16th, 2001 in Japan, November 17th in North America, and November 24th in Europe and Oceania. Out of all its launch titles, Halo sells the most by far, and serves as the system's big "killer app". Behind it are Devil May Cry and Dead or Alive 3, with Rogue Squadron II and Wave Race: Blue Storm rounding out the top five. Out of the top five bestselling games, four of them have some form of online play (Devil May Cry being the sole exception), proving that it is indeed the next big thing in gaming. Additionally, due to the Nintendo X selling better in Japan (being marketed as the Nintendo S there instead), Halo also develops a larger following in the region than it did IOTL.

Last edited: