Sports What Ifs.

I am looking at the April 16, 1990 edition of the Sporting News, and in their running back ratings for the draft, Thompson was second. Then, Emmitt Smith was rated third.

Thompson's strengths were that he has the talent of an Eric Dickerson, and the willingness to be a team player. So, it's possible that they still take him. Also, John Hadley (associate editor of The Sporting News) had Darrell Thompson rated as the best player in the draft (with Smith rated 17th).
The thing is....this is after they passed over Barry Sanders(a move will haunt them forever) and Majik Man might need all the help possible, but is a toss up.

The thing is....this is after they passed over Barry Sanders(a move will haunt them forever) and Majik Man might need all the help possible, but is a toss up.

What's crazy is that the Packers didn't have Sanders very high on their board in 1989. They had Aikman, Mandarich, and Derrick Thomas 1-2-3.

What's crazy is that the Packers didn't have Sanders very high on their board in 1989. They had Aikman, Mandarich, and Derrick Thomas 1-2-3.
Is not a bad board itself but Really Packers!! Really?!! Well that explain a lot of things but my point stand, passing on Barry was a move they regretted forever

What if Bill Belichick really did leave the Patriots in 2018?
How would this have changed the NFL?
Where could he have gone?
The Belichick vs. Brady rift would have ended abruptly with the departure of the former instead of the latter (I think the Bucs will be a big loser of this alternate timeline)

The Belichick vs. Brady rift would have ended abruptly with the departure of the former instead of the latter (I think the Bucs will be a big loser of this alternate timeline)
Belichick almost leaving after that Eagle SB loss doesn't surprise me a whole lot. If he does, I bet McDiapers takes over for him. There goes the 2018 title (Mahomes gets his first ring that year instead).

As for Belichick, I bet he goes back to the Giants to turn around the team that gave him his first big chance in coaching. They had fallen on hard times after beating NE in the 2011 SB, with only one playoff appareance since.

Leaves a massive change for the Patriots in terms of just a different atmosphere. No Belichick would probably cause Kraft to return to splitting the HC and GM positions back to two separate people to work with. I would concur with Alt in McDaniels taking the job (most veteran member of the staff and someone Brady relies on) and Caserio probably takes up the GM post, given his ten years as player personnel director. What happens to the Texans after that is anyone's guess.

As for Bill Sidious (only jokingly; mostly roast Boston sports as a playful jab with my old man), the Giants seem like the likely option out of the simple fact that the now-WFT would have too much upstairs involvement in Snyder (even if he could work with Alex Smith as a QB option) and the Dolphins, while possible in order to rid of Adam Gase, sounds like there would be some sort of "clause claim" similar to the Patriots to Jets in 1997, then the Jets to Patriots in 2000 (not to mention Gettleman is automatically out as GM if Bill convinces ownership enough on that option). Given the OTL record of the Patriots, I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick picked Saquan as OTL, if not trading down for picks and picking up O-line pieces for Manning and also getting Chubb instead. Granted, with the options of QB, Belichick could look at benching Manning in hopes of developing a successor (there was Etling in the seventh in OTL, and also Teddy Bridgewater in the FA market before the Jets picked him up and later traded him to the Dome, and, with the pick being high enough, Darnold, Allen, and Jackson are all there).

Overall, if McDaniels and Caserio manage a sweep in getting Brady a bunch of pieces alongside Gronk and Edelman, I could see both teams having a benefit with the Giants having an outsider's shot at going to the playoffs (potential sendoff for Eli) and the two teams ending up as potential SB contenders (provided the Giants can get through the Rams and Saints and the new look Patriots can overcome the Chiefs).

e Giants seem like the likely option
Because he love the giants, if given the opportunity after mcadoo both mara and bellichick are going to take it. If anything he is going to trade down, Nelson is too good but a haul from the jets or some other desesperated QB team is too good to say no. If anything could try to run the table with Eli, and waiting to see his options in 2019(I dunno if he grade Rosen or Jackson Enough for a surprise trade up)

Because he love the giants, if given the opportunity after mcadoo both mara and bellichick are going to take it. If anything he is going to trade down, Nelson is too good but a haul from the jets or some other desesperated QB team is too good to say no. If anything could try to run the table with Eli, and waiting to see his options in 2019(I dunno if he grade Rosen or Jackson Enough for a surprise trade up)
I could see the Nelson pickup, just because of Manning. And, with getting a RB option in Chubb as well as some defensive pickups and a receiver, I could see Manning running the table (with the close enough games, the Giants could have gone 11-5 that season). However, I could see him going for a good pick for a backup to consider (wouldn't surprise me if he tried to draft Etling just for another Taysom fold, not to mention Bridgewater and Bradford as potentials).

After which, the season is up in the air for potentials, fron Stidham to Lock to Minshew, to whatever backup to take the reins from Eli once either the decline hits or a trade happens (irony of ironies, there is always Saint Nick for the taking if there was to be a sizeable contract or Bridgewater wasn't looking like the future).

could see the Nelson pickup, just because of Manning
Is a 50-50 of Nelson or a trade Up, but yeah, Nelson, Nick Chubb and OB13 still on the team could do wonders on a way is up to see how could unfold.

The rest depends, if anything we could see BB rolling with eli till 2019 and waiting to see what 2020 have(for a trade up or down or something)

Here's a big loser of the what if Belichick scenario: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
With the Belichick/Brady rift ended by Belichick's departure, there would be less reason for Brady to leave the Patriots. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers would probably not get him. This butterflies away the Tampa Bay Super Bowl victory in the 2020-2021 season most likely.

Here's a big loser of the what if Belichick scenario: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
With the Belichick/Brady rift ended by Belichick's departure, there would be less reason for Brady to leave the Patriots. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers would probably not get him. This butterflies away the Tampa Bay Super Bowl victory in the 2020-2021 season most likely.
Of course that is the direct butterfly, a big ouch for tampa.

More fun from JaguarGator on You Tube:

In 2000, the Jets had four first-rounders (12, 13, 18, and 27th overall picks). According to the video, they offered the first three picks for the #1 overall pick, and Cleveland refused because they wanted the 27th pick as well.

In 2000, the Jets had four first-rounders (12, 13, 18, and 27th overall picks). According to the video, they offered the first three picks for the #1 overall pick, and Cleveland refused because they wanted the 27th pick as well.
Of course it’s the Browns. 🤦‍♂️

I mean, there is always the Browns taking the DAWG POUND DYNASTY route in trading down the pick and picking up the Ricky Williams trade lol

Here's an idea, coming from my Barry Sanders stays at Oklahoma State in his senior year scenario: assuming the Cowboys still draft Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft, the Atlanta Falcons had the #1 pick in 1990, which, in OTL, they traded to the Indianapolis Colts. In a Barry Sanders in the 1990 NFL draft scenario, do they hold on to the #1 pick and draft him, or do they trade him for a king's ransom of draft picks (similar to what the Cowboys pulled off with Herschel Walker the previous year (1))?

(1) Who, funnily enough, is considering running for Senate in Georgia, but that's for Chat...

Last edited:
WI the Cleveland Browns draft Donovan McNabb instead of Tim Couch? IMO, the Philadelphia Eagles were considering Ricky Williams, so maybe they get the New Orleans trade and, if they accept, how does that affect Philadelphia?

Maybe one of the picks they get is a QB from Michigan in 2000 named Brady (and, if that happens, Tom had better accept that he will be booed--the Eagles fans booed Santa Claus)...
Mcnabb will ensure mediocrity, the 7-8,8-8,-9-7 season with some playoff sneaks and surprise as 1 and done on the meantime, I can see McNabb calling quits 2009-2010 from the browns, what the browns come from there is anyone guesses as anything is fir game. as with due respect, Mcnabb was the QB with the highest mental and intestinal fortitude of that draft, much needed to survive the browns. Sorry Tim Couch, you were very good is just... the browns are something else.

That means Couch fall to #3 at bengals...not as bad as browns but bengals might be the bigger losses as they might not get carson palmer ITTL.

Brady and Reid is something worthy to see, more if Brady determination can turn around Reid awful clock management and bad luck on playoffs