"Mary Whitehouse will never accept this" : A Dr Who Production History (Inspired by Guajolote)

april+walker.jpg

What happens to Paul Temple if Sherwin stays on as Doctor Who producer?
At least 7 scripts would not written for Paul Temple.
So someone else but Sherwin would get jobs writing scripts for Paul Temple .
Did Sherwin have anything to do with some of the regular Doctor Who Directors working on Paul Temple?

Chapter 3. "They Loved It When He Walked Through The Door"
"When was the first time you became aware that things were going on"
"(sigh), This is with hindsight, it would have to be when we were shooting "Genesis Of The Daleks" Its been lauded by many as the greatest story of the show and it was superbly well written but the tone was so dark and as Graham bore the brunt of filming it took its toll. There was the famous scene where the Doctor is about to destroy the Daleks and Graham was agonising over how to phrase 'have I the right'. It took about 7 takes before he was satisfied. David Maloney the director called 'cut' and Graham left the set to go to his dressing room.

About an hour and a half later I was in the BBC bar when Graham came in along with some of the production team and he had a big grin on his face. I had one drink with them before I went home...I remember turning around and seeing Graham in full flow.

(April Walker)

"I'd seen him in Nicholas and Alexandra where he played Rasputin. He had that otherworldly look that I was looking for and I knew he had been passed over for Doctor Who so I thought why not. He was certainly a memorable character and quickly became firm friends with Pat McNee and became a double act at the LWT bar after shooting"

(Brian Clemens 1986)

vlcsnap-2021-04-22-19h26m50s286.png

"I'd seen him in Nicholas and Alexandra where he played Rasputin. He had that otherworldly look that I was looking for and I knew he had been passed over for Doctor Who so I thought why not. He was certainly a memorable character and quickly became firm friends with Pat McNee and became a double act at the LWT bar after shooting"

(Brian Clemens 1986)

View attachment 644763
Tom Baker in what I assuming is the New Avengers?
Cool.
Hope he get to go both over to France when they shot there and also to Canada when they shot the four episodes over there.

Or do we get Avengers USA this time?

Tom Baker in what I assuming is the New Avengers?
Cool.
Hope he get to go both over to France when they shot there and also to Canada when they shot the four episodes over there.

Or do we get Avengers USA this time?
I'll stick to the French and Canada version. To have Avengers USA may cause confusion with the Avengers comics of the time.

I'll stick to the French and Canada version. To have Avengers USA may cause confusion with the Avengers comics of the time.
I think you are misunderstanding my reference.
It was not that there was a French or Canadian version of the Avengers .
The show the New Avengers had three production companies involved with it .'
The British one, A French one and a Canadian One.
One of the conditions that the French and Canadian companies wanted was some of the episodes filmed in their country.
So there was a Two Part episode about World War Two Russian Soldiers waking up and killing old French Leaders , (Feature some footage from the original Avengers of John Steed talking to Mrs. Peele on a phone )
And then there were 4 episodes that were shot in Canada .
I was hoping that Tom Baker get to go over seas with the rest of the Cast.

As for my reference to Avengers USA.
Brian Clements did try to get a US TV network to buy a American version of the Avengers .
A pilot was shot
And aired under the title "Escapade" in the US but was not picked up as a series .
The TV movies did air overseas in some markets as "Avengers USA".

Sorry about the confusion

I'm afraid I know nothing about Paul Temple.
A co-production between the BBC and ZDF that hit a little trouble. Peter Bryant was brought in to produce during the second series and he persuaded Derrick Sherwin to join him, which necessitated Barry Letts taking over the production of Doctor Who. But if Sherwin has stayed on long enough to be casting the Fourth Doctor, the 70s will have been very different for the show.

I think you are misunderstanding my reference.
It was not that there was a French or Canadian version of the Avengers .
The show the New Avengers had three production companies involved with it .'
The British one, A French one and a Canadian One.
One of the conditions that the French and Canadian companies wanted was some of the episodes filmed in their country.
So there was a Two Part episode about World War Two Russian Soldiers waking up and killing old French Leaders , (Feature some footage from the original Avengers of John Steed talking to Mrs. Peele on a phone )
And then there were 4 episodes that were shot in Canada .
I was hoping that Tom Baker get to go over seas with the rest of the Cast.

As for my reference to Avengers USA.
Brian Clements did try to get a US TV network to buy a American version of the Avengers .
A pilot was shot
And aired under the title "Escapade" in the US but was not picked up as a series .
The TV movies did air overseas in some markets as "Avengers USA".

Sorry about the confusion
No need to apologise. I'm always willing to learn new info. Yes Tom will travel with the cast.

Chapter 4. "Nobody likes a smartarse II"
"Graham and I didn't get on well. I think it was because of his ego. Harry's character was strong and bluff and was something an alternative for Sarah Jane and its possible that Graham felt that it was distracting for him. I decided to leave after Terror of The Zygons as a regular character but returned for The Android Invasion as a farewell. Looking back now it was obvious that Graham was struggling with the fame that the role has given him and the booze was taking its toll. The last time that he and I spoke was during the shooting of the 20th anniversary special and he took me to one side and apologised for being a bastard in the 1970's. I said 'its wasn't you Graham it was the booze. Graham looked at me and said "Ian I was the booze and the booze was me"

(Ian Marter)

"Colin Cantwell....hmm...yes. Graham had not spoken much to the rest of the Pythons in the early 70's but we met up from time to time and he asked me if I would consider writing for Doctor Who. I said I couldn't. Whoever thought of a Python writing for Dr Who. Graham said 'a Python is Dr Who'. I said' well I couldn't write as myself. Graham suggested that i do a 'Gerald Wiley' as Ronnie Barker did. I was originally going to write as Colin Hunt but that would be too much, I then thought of Colin Cant but people might get confused with Brian Cant, so I came up with Colin Cantwelll. I decided to write a serious story as opposed to the python daftness so I wrote "Heart Of The Norse".

(Terry Jones)