Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

The USAAF pilots who flew for the RAF during the BoB.
Got a citation for that? USA pilots were mainly pilots who had crossed into Canada and signed up as Canadians. There were no USAAF pilots in the BoB, only Americans in Canadian uniforms. And it was a federal offense to enlist in the forces of a foreign nation.
And the CIA is at least a Decade away. Even OSS has not been founded yet.

Got a citation for that? USA pilots were mainly pilots who had crossed into Canada and signed up as Canadians. There were no USAAF pilots in the BoB, only Americans in Canadian uniforms. And it was a federal offense to enlist in the forces of a foreign nation.
American pilots who flew in BoB did so as individuals in Canadian Squadrons.

The Eagle Squadrons, named after the obviously American Canadian symbol weren't formed until Sept 1940.
Eagle Squadrons

In 1992 the Flying Tigers were recognized as a covert operation by the U.S. Government after having been disavowed for nearly 50 years. As far as I know, no such recognition was extended to the Eagle Squadrons. It strains belief that the State Department didn't know that Billy Bishop was recruiting Americans and allowing them to pose as Canadian Pilot Trainees. Once the U.S. entered the war, the Eagle Squadrons were swiftly folded into the 8th Air Force.

In 1992 the Flying Tigers were recognized as a covert operation by the U.S. Government after having been disavowed for nearly 50 years. As far as I know, no such recognition was extended to the Eagle Squadrons. It strains belief that the State Department didn't know that Billy Bishop was recruiting Americans and allowing them to pose as Canadian Pilot Trainees. Once the U.S. entered the war, the Eagle Squadrons were swiftly folded into the 8th Air Force.
Didn't some of the Eagle Squadron guys end up being labeled Premature Anti-Fascists post-war?

Part 121, Chapter 2021
Chapter Two Thousand Twenty-One

25th September 1970

Tempelhof, Berlin

The schoolwork had instantly become far more difficult. The year before Sophie had been placed in classes that were meant to prepare her for this, but the expectations had risen markedly. Into this was the problem that Katherine said that Sophie needed to get past, that things had changed, and she needed to stop internalizing everything. What did the term internalizing even mean?

At any second, Sophie was expecting something to hit the back of her head. That was the way it had always played out. She would be sitting there doing her schoolwork and the instant the teacher’s back was turned a paperclip or paper ball would hit her. This was usually followed by giggling in the back of the room. There had also been other far less pleasant things thrown at her over the years. That wasn’t happening at the new school she was attending.

The other thing that didn’t materialize was the cruel comments that were spoken at her between classes. About how Sophie was the little girl that no one wanted, and they tended to repeat terrible things about her life, mother, and Katherine that they only could have learned from their parents. That was usually followed by laughing and taunting, as if the details of Sophie’s life were the funniest thing they had ever heard. Her attempts to stand up for herself had always ended in failure because they were always in groups and Sophie was easily flustered when she was upset. It always ended with her alone and crying in the hallway.

Katherine had told her that this new school was an opportunity to leave that past behind because most of her tormentors were on a different education track than she was. Years from now, they would still be locked in their small lives and would be just as vicious. The fear and anger that caused them to lash out at those they thought weaker or different would still be poisoning them because it had never really been Sophie who had been the problem. Still, Sophie found herself expecting things to be thrown at her and looked cautiously around corners. She expected that any second things would go back to how it had been regardless of what the school’s administration had told her.

Ziska had clearly taken their word for it because she had come to school without her right leg. She had said that her Doctor had told her that because she was growing fast as she approached adolescence, any prosthesis would have to be adjusted often, if not replaced outright. Having one that wasn’t fitted properly risked damaging her good leg and that was something that they were trying to avoid. For Ziska it was merely the inconvenience of having to use her crutches and that wasn’t something she would have done the year before for reasons that were too obvious to state.

Eagle Rock, Los Angeles, California

Meeting Lucia at the house after Ritchie picked up the keys from the Realtor’s office turned out to be the least interesting part of the process. When Ritchie had the message passed to him while he on duty from Dispatch saying that a call from the bank had come telling him that his mortgage application had been approved.

The bank had little choice in the matter. The bank robbery that Ritchie and Wilkinson had foiled had been at a branch of one of the banks that he had applied at. The story may have been below the fold on the third page, but when the headline read Hero Cops take down Robbery Crew and the Bank President himself was thanking Ritchie, the speed with which the previously radioactive application had been approved had been astonishing.

Wilkinson had gotten on the radio and told Dispatch that they were taking an early lunch and would be out of contact for a while. On the drive north from Downtown, he had joked about how now that Ritchie lived closer in the Brass would probably reassign him to West Hollywood or somewhere further afield in their infinite wisdom. Just to give him a horrendous commute again.

Turning onto Coringa Drive, Ritchie saw people staring as the patrol car rolled by. Yeah, there goes the neighborhood, Ritchie thought to himself with a laugh. Looking at the tree shaded street, it occurred to him that this was exactly what Lucia had wanted all along. A place in a nice neighborhood and a future for both of them.

Lucia had once told him about her past. How she had nearly seen her life narrow down to a pinpoint once with no other options. Just part of another generation living exactly as the one before it had with the only difference being that they were working menial jobs in the city as opposed to working in the fields of the San Joaquin Valley north of Bakersfield. Ritchie had done both of those things before he had joined the Army, so he understood her thinking. A house built in the 20’s with three bedrooms, two baths, and a daylight basement that was entirely theirs was far more than just the sum of its parts.

As Wilkinson parked, Ritchie saw Lucia get out of her VW Rabbit. She was still wearing the polo-shirt that was part of her uniform while working as a Cashier at a regional supermarket chain.

“Welcome home Mrs. Valenzuela” Ritchie said, tipping his hat.

Lucia just laughed at that.

They had only a short time to look at the house that afternoon so this would need to be brief. Lucia mentioned that when they held the housewarming party that weekend, they needed to invite Wilkinson and his wife Grace. Then she had mentioned that it was tradition for the husband to carry his bride across the threshold. As it turned out a fireman’s carry was not what she had in mind, so they entered their new home for the first time with her hitting his back and demanding to be put back down.

Last edited:
Updates continue to be as awesome as ever.
As it turned out a fireman’s carry was not what she had in mind, so they entered their new home for the first time with her hitting his back and demanding to be put back down.
...I mean, I'd say that fireman's carry would be the first preference for most people who carry a spouse or partner, so asking to be carried was a bit short-sighted of her :p

Fun Fact: My father grew up in the Eagle Rock Area in the 30's and 40's and was bit of a "Harmless Delinquent" with a choice of either Army, Navy, or Marine Corps to straighten him out.
But the first test that Ritchie and Lucia will face in the neighborhood is the Housewarming when their relatives show up, hopefully Ritchie's fellow LEO colleagues will be there and help defuse any possible problems, also Ritchie should inform the local LAPD station that he lives there and that way if any calls involving his address can be handled properly.

Sophie will always feel that someone will throw something at the back of her head even if it is not something physical, bit with time some confidence and friends like Ziska it will not dominate her life.

Wonder if the press remembers royalty was at the wedding and showed up for the housewarming. Wonder If Kikki shows Up after working so had she has (ordered) to take time off.

PNWKing

Banned
The local supermarket chain? Heh, it could be Ralph's, Market Basket (acquired by Kroger IOTL in the 1950s), Alpha Beta.
7-Eleven? Man, I am surprised. Considering that IOTL 7-Eleven began as a division of the Southland Ice Co. in Dallas in 1927, I would think that they would have been butterflied away.

Wonder if the press remembers royalty was at the wedding and showed up for the housewarming. Wonder If Kikki shows Up after working so had she has (ordered) to take time off.
Unless she can fly up to LA from Patagonia on a Luftwaffe transport (unlikely), Kiki may need to be an apology for the housewarming party. I'm sure a letter to Kiki with some photos of the house, Richie & Lucia and the party guests will be enough thanks for Kiki considering the house deposit came mostly from her generous wedding gift.

Last edited:
Ritchie and Lucia's wedding should have been big local news because of the attendance of Princess Kristina and her Consort, that should make them objects of curiosity to their neighbors and that could make them more amiable to having Ritchie and Lucia in the neighborhood.

Part 121, Chapter 2022
Chapter Two Thousand Twenty-Two

27th September 1970

Kiel

A journalist had come across the story about how a revolution in computer design had quietly occurred in the warehouse district of Kiel. Sigmund Kappel had remained in Kiel as the head of Naval Research AG working on dedicated computer systems for not just the KM’s Surface and Aviation Branches, but the rest of the Military as well as the European Space Agency. The detail that he had been working in close partnership with company that found civil applications for their products which was headed by a former Film Actress was a wrinkle that the press was astonished they had never run across before. Wendell Bratfisch was the President of the Berlin Technical University. Konteradmiral Albrecht Prinz von Richthofen had been there at the beginning but had soon departed and had gone on to play a different role in history as the first man in orbit. Presently, Albrecht was on leave to spend time with his wife and infant daughter as he waited for his next assignment.

Sigmund had looked at the whole thing with wry amusement. He had never liked the newspapers and felt they got many things wrong with little effort made to correct their errors. The fact that television and radio newscasts followed along slavishly to whatever had been printed in the last edition before broadcast just proved his point. Strangely, the paper that had run the story about the early days of Naval Research seemed to have gotten most of the details correct. Right next to that was a story about the make up of the Imperial Council that was about to have its first meeting in Berlin annoyed Sigmund. An elected Monarch? What a farce that was.

Potsdam

“Rauchbier is not a great conversationalist” Ben said.

“Are you joking?” Kiki replied, “He is great at listening.”

“Sure, but his replies leave a lot to be desired.”

“I’m glad that you have been talking to him every day” Kiki said, “You know how lonely he gets.”

“Between me and your little sisters he seldom is alone” Ben said, “I sometimes think he might enjoy a bit of quiet.”

“Glad to hear that” Kiki replied.

This was the first time that they had had a chance to talk since Kiki had left for Argentina through the miracle of satellite communications. This had not been something that Ben had planned on doing today. He received a call from his father-in-law asking if he would like to do this? As if Louis didn’t already know the answer. A couple hours later, Ben was talking to Kiki in what was admittedly a waste of Military resources, but he didn’t care. He had been told by a teenager who had been introduced to him as Funker Oberst that they would only have a few minutes, so Ben wanted to make the most of them.

“Please tell me you are taking care of yourself” Ben said, “I know how you get while you are in the field.”

“It’s sort of hard not to with a Surgical Regiment’s personnel with seemingly nothing better to do than mind my health” Kiki said with a bit of annoyance. “It seems like there is little I can do without them trying to find a diagnosis. From brushing my teeth to having breakfast disagree with me like it does for everyone else.”

“Army food still is that terrible?” Ben asked.

“Worse” Kiki replied, “At least in Korea we got a bit of variation because the Koreans like to spice things up. You don’t get that in this corner of Argentina, at least not in the wintertime. Here if powdered eggs, oatmeal, and canned sausage aren’t your thing, there is mutton. Lots and lots of mutton.”

Something about the way Kiki suggested food was a sore subject for her at the moment. He knew what it was like in the field. As a pilot, he had been far in the rear and had gotten the best of things because of that. Still when they weren’t flying, the monotony and boredom had gotten to even those in the SKG 18. When every single day played out like the one before, food became a particular form of torture.

“I’ve been spending as much time as I can out in the sheep stations and villages. I have been encouraging others to do the same well” Kiki said, “This waiting around for something to happen is a big part of why they are all in each other’s business, and mine.”

“The 18th is taking delivery new planes…” Ben started to say only to get cut off by Kiki.

“Ben, please” Kiki said, “Knowing you are far out of the way of this mess is one of the few things keeping me from going insane. So, don’t do anything stupid.”

Eagle Rock, Los Angeles, California

“Is that a joke?” Bobby asked in disbelief.

“Its true” Wilkinson said, “If the neighbors call the cops on us, dispatch knows that address and would call your brother to find out what’s going on. Of course, if he tried to bullshit them the Watch Commander would find out and he would land of Ritchie like a ton of bricks.”

“And if someone from this address called?” Bobby asked.

“Half the Central Bureau would roll up in about five minutes” Wilkinson replied.

“Shit” Bobby muttered.

“There are advantages of being inside the system” Wilkinson said, “I know that you and Ritchie were on the receiving end of the worst aspects of being on the outside, isn’t that why he joined the Army?”

That much was true, but it wasn’t something Bobby liked to talk about. Standing in Ritchie’s new house as they were assembling a table so that they would have some place to eat dinner tonight, which was apparently going to be pizza as soon as they nailed down who wanted what as toppings. Ritchie was puzzling over the instructions with Walt, one of the Davis brothers who had come from their home in South Pasadena to help out. The three of them had shown up that morning to house that belonged to Bobby and Ritchie’s in a battered old pickup truck to help with the move. The crowd who had come to the housewarming and setup was certainly eclectic.

Standing in Ritchie’s new house as they were assembling a table so that they would have some place to eat dinner tonight, which was apparently going to be pizza as soon as they nailed down who wanted what as toppings.
Pineapple, naturally. Only pineapple. Nothing but pineapple. :p