The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Note on the Use of Racist Language following
As I have done once before, I feel I should give a warning that the following chapter contains racist language. One of the non POV characters refers to some Chinese stokers as “Chinamen.” This would be the language of the day. I did not set out to write this part of the scene, but as I was writing I realized that it would be unrealistic for a racist incident like this not to happen at some point, given the climate of the setting at the time.

Asian Immigration
Aug 21, 2215 hours, SS Tees, Trevor Channel, Barclay Sound.

“How about that?” said the captain of the Tees. “I have a ship again. Deckhands! Cast off from Saxonia. Bring up the steam! I want to put some distance between us and that great sinking hulk before she capsizes on us!”

Tees’ crewmen, who had been standing idle in the crowd, hopped to their stations. The deck of the small liner was not so crowded as it had been moments before, but was still populated by nearly 200 people: 30 Officers and men of the Royal Canadian Navy late of HMCS Rainbow; a dozen Bamfield Lifeboat crew, medical orderlies, nurses and a couple of doctors attending to the seriously wounded; 22 assorted walking wounded Reservist sailors and militiamen from the morning’s battle, a handful of civilian passengers who had not been landed by boat earlier in the day, a newspaperman furiously scribbling notes, 64 Chinese stokers of Saxonia’s black gang, and a dozen militiamen of the 88th Fusiliers and their lieutenant. The men of Tees’s crew moved around them, going purposefully at their tasks. Another 11 seriously wounded Canadian and German wounded lay on stretchers out of the way.

Leipzig pulled away into the Trevor Channel to starboard. The German cruiser swept the water with her searchlight, heading for the open ocean. To port, the CPR crew cast off from the darkened German hulk. Brown smelled the smoke from the boiler, and was impressed by how quickly the oil-fired ship could raise steam. Most of the men standing on deck were quiet, like Brown, attempting to adjust to the present moment, after the rapidly changing set of circumstances that had just unfolded.

“We’ve been prisoners of war twice since breakfast,” marveled one of the militiamen to his comrade. Both wore shoulder patches of the 50th Gordon Highlanders. “What next?”

“So!” exclaimed the Fusiliers’ lieutenant, snapping Brown out of his reverie. “What’s with that lot? He said gesturing at the Chinese stokers. “They showed up on a ship, they should leave on one. They can’t stay here. This is Canada.” He started to advance towards the men of the black gang, saying something about papers. The Chinese men understood his demeanor if not his words, and seemed unsurprised. They stared back impassively.

Brown stepped into the militia officer’s path. “If it was not for these men,” he said “whom I contracted to the Royal Canadian Navy, Saxonia would still have been bobbing out in the Strait when Leipzig passed by, and the Hun would have another supply ship.” The Captain of the Tees was inspecting the state of his decks, and stopped to watch this new spectacle, arms crossed at his chest.

“Hear, hear,” said Lock quietly.

The Fusilier officer tried to step around Brown, and Brown cut him off again. “And tonight,” Brown continued, “when Leipzig had captured us, the Hun had another opportunity to take Saxonia back, but these men helped me scuttle her, just in time.” Brown was flummoxed. He knew the Fusilier lieutenant was making a wrong decision, and Brown felt both a personal and a military duty to the stokers, who had assisted their cause so effectively. But he had only been in the navy for three weeks, and had a hard time deciphering the chain of command here. The militia lieutenant outranked him, that much was clear, but the experience of being taken prisoner had left a residual leveling and humbling effect on the morale of all the Canadians present. Lieutenant Lock was of equal rank to this militia officer, but was of a different branch of the service. Tees’s captain was master of his ship, but was a civilian.

“Be that as it may, Sub Lieutenant,” countered the Fusilier officer, “My sworn duty is to defend Canada, and that includes defending her against illegal Asian immigration. Despite the war, it is still my duty to prevent these Chinamen from setting foot on Canadian soil.” Behind him, his men were looking uneasy. The newspaperman was furiously scribbling notes.

Someone heckled, “Jeez, keep your eye on the puck. The bloody Germans aren’t even out of sight yet.”

The militia officer again tried to step around Brown. “I am taking these Chinamen into custody, to hold them here until they can be properly deported. I am not going to have another Komagata Maru incident on my watch.”

“Nor I,” said Lock decisively, “Spirited defence Brown, appealing to reason and sentiment.” He said as an aside. “But it is done like this.” Lock raised his voice to command volume. “Lieutenant!” The Fusilier officer turned to look. “Due to military necessity and state of war, I am placing this ship under command of the Royal Canadian Navy, and thus under command of the Admiralty.” Brown noticed the captain of the Tees raise his eyebrows, but he said nothing. Lock continued, “Stand down. I require nothing further from you at this moment, Lieutenant. You may return to your unit in Bamfield, or accompany us as you wish, at your discretion.”

“Harrumph,” exclaimed the Fusilier officer, taken aback. He considered the situation for a moment. The newspaperman stood stock still, pencil poised. Then the militia officer replied, “Yes sir,” and he withdrew with his men to another part of the ship.

“Lieutenant!” called Lock, and the departing militia lieutenant turned to look. “You won the important battle this day, the one against the Hun.” The officers paused, then nodded to each other. Brown and the Chinese stoker foreman made eye contact, and they too exchanged nods.

Saxonia was sitting 100 yards to port, and pinned in the Tees’s searchlight. Her lowest row of portholes had now dipped into the ocean, and the flooding accelerated. The portholes first admitted a flood of water, then as the hull sank further, let out great gouts of air. Saxonia began to take on a list. To the south, Leipzig’ searchlight could be seen to disappear behind one of the barrier islands, and was gone.

Lock and Brown watched the cruiser’s light disappear. “Captain?” Lock asked the master of the Tees. “Perchance is your wireless operational?”

“That would be handy… Sir,” the captain replied, the last word added sardonically. “But nay. Most of the set is at the bottom of the channel. Almost the first thing the Hun did when they boarded us.”

“We have to establish communication with our chain of command,” said Lock. “Who knows the situation in the town, in Bamfield?” he asked.

“That Fusilier Lieutenant who you just gave the tall hat, he would have the best idea, having recently been there on the ground.” said the captain with some amusement. “Going to talk to him, are you?”

“Oh, I suppose we do what we must,” said Lieutenant Lock with a sigh. Brown followed him to the bow of the Tees, where the militiamen sat, smoking. They looked a bit lost, having been relieved of all their weapons and ammunition webbing by the recently departed Germans. Most were watching Saxonia, as she continued to settle.

“Lieutenant,” said Lock. “I need your assistance. We must communicate with Esquimalt, to report the situation here. What options do we have in Bamfield, now that the wireless on the Tees here is smashed?”

The militia lieutenant considered. “The Red Line is cut, on land and underwater. The lifesaving telegraph shack in South Bamfield burned down. No wireless equipped vessels are in the harbour. Pachena Wireless Station was bombarded by that Hun that captured us. We know the wireless is out there, the telegraph may be as well. I’m not sure where the next telegraph station is on the lifesaving trail.”

“Five miles east of that, at Klanawa River,” said a passing sailor.

“And too rough a trail for a horse,” said another.

“Sechart Whaling station would be the closest telegraph,” opined the first sailor.

“Or Ucluelet,” said the second.

“The Gordons, the original garrison at Bamfield, sent a boat over to Ucluelet yesterday, and they never returned,” said the Fusilier lieutenant. You could ask their CO more about that, but he died this morning in the cable station. I’m going to talk to my superiors, Lieutenant. Those Chinamen should go into the quarantine station at William Head, at the very least.”

“Noted.” Replied Lock, and he turned to leave.

“Quarantine,” scoffed Brown once they were out of earshot. “Saxonia’s last port of call was Seattle. She was sitting in harbour there for a month.”

Lock and Brown returned to the bridge to confer with the Tees’s captain.

“We need to brief Esquimalt. We can’t do that from here,” said Lock. “And we need to get the wounded to a proper hospital.”

“I would be inclined to take the wounded to Port Alberni,” said the doctor from Bamfield. “Port has a genuine hospital, and a rail line to Nanaimo, with an even better one. And Port is half the distance to Victoria.”

Saxonia’s fantail was the first part of her rail to touch the water. Water flowing into the scuppers made a rushing sound clearly audible over the Tees’s machinery.

“You could send a boat to Sechart Whaling Station,” said the Tees’s captain. He looked at his empty boat deck. “But we have none. We would have to go to Bamfield and get them to send over a fishboat. I, for one, am not sure the Hun are truly gone.”

“A boat travelling west might meet trouble, if the Hun are still lurking,” said Brown, “especially if the boat is lighting its way. And with no moon I would not want to travel the Sound without a light.”

“Someone always wants to be a hero,” said Tees’s captain. “But I agree, it would be prudent to wait until first light. If so, we might reach the telegraph at Port Alberni first. The Hun released us with no conditions. They want us to get their wounded to safety. I intend to light my way up the Alberni Canal. But it will take us 4 hours from Bamfield at 8 knots, and we are not there yet.”

“So let us proceed, captain.” said Lock.

“Aye Aye sir!” said the Tees’s captain, and he gave an exaggerated salute.

Tees came underway, and turned towards Bamfield. Astern in the dark, Saxonia made creaks and groans as she slipped beneath the surface of the Channel.

Tees tied up at the Bamfield wharf at 2300 hours, and landed the local civilians and the militia detachment.

Brown was still tense, because of the presence of the Germans somewhere nearby in the dark, and remained awake for the entire trip. But the voyage up the seemingly endless treelined fjord of the Alberni Canal was routine for the crew of Tees, and every nautical mile the little liner steamed put the Germans further behind. He could hear snoring from all around him on the darkened deck. He was glad that the men of Saxonia’s black gang at least could get some rest.

At 0415 hours on August 22, Tees arrived at a blacked-out Port Alberni. After successfully negotiating a challenge from a jumpy force of militia, the ship docked, and managed to connect with the capitol by telegraph. Later, 3 German wounded who had not survived the night were buried in the Greenwood Cemetery, where they rest to this day.

Last edited:
I believe Brown could claim to have pressed the Chinese stokers, and thus they are now RCN auxiliaries. Most impressment laws are still on the books today. I doubt the officious fusilier would know better...

ferdi254

Banned
YYJ another great update. And do not worry I am sure sliteyes would hve been the real language at the time. Or chinks. Using pc language would simply be incorrect.

Last edited:
While I have absolutely no problem with PC in modern life and fully believe that racism and prejudice and bigotry etc are the refuge of the weak minded and the truly ignorant - but when we are trying to be historically accurate I am with the great George McDonald Fraser who as many of you know 'edited' the very valuable historical 'Flashman papers' of the great Victorian hero Harry Flashman - when he writes (after being criticised for his accurate historical use of language and accurate portrayal of certain peoples):

Political correctness is about denial, usually in the weasel circumlocutory jargon which distorts and evades and seldom stands up to honest analysis.

So in the OPs latest post - he is quite right in pointing out that people of the day were incredibly racist by our 'modern' standards and that this would be considered the norm - particularly among (but not limited too) Europeans.

The Chinese were particularly badly treated back then and pretty much alone of the peoples of the world that travelled to North America in the 19C where not allowed to stay once their work had finished and where denied the rights of naturalisation, could not own land or marry Caucasians etc.

I salute our author for not shying away

SS Tees at Port Alberni

Original Digital object not accessible

Original Digital object not accessible

While I write the next chapter, here are some pictures of SS Aotearoa, SS Niagara's sister ship, fitted out as the armed merchant cruiser HMS Avenger. You can see the locations of the gun mounts if you look closely enough, 2 per side on the stern and 2 per side on the bow. This is where John Brown and Co placed the reinforced gun mounts when building the ship to Admiralty specifications. The Avenger's guns were British 6 inchers. The German 10.5 cm guns would be a little smaller. ITTL Niagara is only receiving 6 guns, 3 per side. The aft pair are mounted in the aft most position on the quarterdeck, in P4 and S4 positions. Also, HMS Avenger's foredeck is built one deck higher than Niagara's. So the P1 and S1 guns on Avenger have a better line of sight forward. Niagara's forward guns would all be at the height of the P2 and S2 guns on Avenger. Avenger's main deck becomes a well deck at the P2 and S2 positions as built.

PhotoWW1-08amcAvenger1PS.JPG

post-166-1184366012.jpg

StateLibQld_1_133589_Avenger_%28ship%29.jpg

First Class Cabin
0415 hours, Aug 22, 1914. SMS Nürnberg and Niagara, Newcombe Channel, Barclay Sound.

Nürnberg’s forward and midships guns were now mounted on Niagara’s foredeck, so the cruiser was backed alongside the liner, until both ship’s fantails came in line. The crew began the lengthy and arduous procedure to lift Nürnberg’s aft pair of guns over to the P4 and S4 positions on Niagara’s quarterdeck. When captain Von Schönberg looked to the east, he could see the shape of the surrounding mountains slightly darker against the star filled sky. The ships’ decks were brightly lit by Niagara’s searchlights, and must have made an obvious spectacle indeed from the ocean out beyond the islands of the Sound.

At 0415 a Morse light message flashed from the open sea.

LEIPZIG PATROLLING WILL JOIN AT DAWN ARRANGE A PATROL SHIP TO TAKE OUR PLACE

Von Schönberg responded in the affirmative, and messaged to the collier Bengrove to prepare to put to sea as a patrol picket. Then he allowed himself to take a nap, instructing that he be woken at 0530, or if the situation demanded it.

A knock woke him “0530 Sir. Leipzig has entered the Channel,” said a voice.

When he heard the knock on the cabin door, Von Schönberg took a moment to get his bearings. He was in a comfortable gilt brass double bed, hung with tasseled drapery, in a Louis XIV styled first-class cabin. Then it all came back to him, and he pulled on his cap, then headed for Niagara’s bridge. The sun would not rise for another hour over the horizon, and probably another again until it showed itself over the mountains that ringed the Sound, but visibility was already as daylight. The sky to the east glowed pink. Some high cloud showed to the west, over the open Pacific, but the sky was mostly clear.

Leipzig had entered Newcombe Channel and was approaching at dead slow. Further out towards the sea, Bengrove was showing her stern as she headed out to act as a patrol ship and lookout. A couple of powered ship’s boats appeared as specks out at the mouth of the Channel, the overnight picket boats. Now Von Schönberg had an opportunity to look at their anchorage in daylight. A kilometer to the east was a maze of small tree-covered islands the chart called The Broken Island Group, and the archipelago had been well named, thought Von Schönberg. To the north were more broken islands. Four nautical miles to the west lay the entrance to Ucluelet harbor, obscured behind more small islands. Waves rolling in off the Pacific broke against these islands, and on dozens of protruding black rocks scattered across the Sound between the German’s anchorage and Ucluelet. The clear passage to the sea for an ocean-going ship was a mere one nautical mile wide. The pilot Herman Mueller stood on Niagara’s bridge wing, drinking from a mug of coffee.

“Well done bringing us in here last night, in the dark,” Von Schönberg said to Mueller.

“Yes, it was,” said Mueller. “I mean, thankyou sir.”

The tanker Desalba still lay at anchor to the east, smoke rising from her stack showing that she was keeping her boilers hot. To see Desalba, Von Schönberg had to look across the deck of the battered and mostly abandoned Nürnberg. He noticed that the blackened areas of the ship that had burned yesterday were now sprouting orange flecks of rust. Smoke still rose from the cruisers aft funnel, and streams of water poured over the side from the busy pumps. The bodies of seventy-eight of his men were still aboard, in the makeshift morgue, lost in flooded compartments, or otherwise unaccounted for. He would commit the remains of the men he could find to the deep, soon, but the ship itself was a grave.

The crew was in the midst of transferring the last 10.5 cm gun mounting from the wreck of Nürnberg to Niagara. The heavy gun, complete with its shield, hung in the air from Niagara’s aft derrick. The matching gun was now mounted beside the aft deckhouse to port in the P4 position. Von Schönberg surveyed the armament of his new ship, and walked the decks to get perspective. The gunnery officer was using the vantage point of Niagara’s aft bridge to supervise the transfer of the armament.

What is your appraisal of our main battery layout, Lieutenant?” Von Schönberg asked.

“Good morning sir,” the gunnery officer replied. A steward arrived, and handed both officers mugs of scorching hot coffee. “Well, the 4 guns on the foredeck have their fields of fire directly ahead obscured by the anchor capstans and other deck fittings. The second pair of guns would likely inflict blast damage on the crew of the forward guns firing directly ahead, and all would damage the cargo derricks, so I would recommend against that. If I had us in a shipyard for 2 weeks I would build a platform forward to remedy the issue. But leaving aside a 10 degree dead zone ahead, Niagara will have a 3 gun broadside from most aspects, and both aft guns are well situated to fire directly astern.”

“We will not be in the business of fighting warships with this floating palace,” said Von Schönberg. "With the ammunition we expended yesterday, and what we sent over to Leipzig, we could not even sustain a pitched gun battle for very long.”

“We will bring the last of the ammunition across presently, sir,” reported the Gunnery officer. “We have 322 shells remaining sir, from Nürnberg’s after magazines. 198 Armour Piercing, 89 High Explosive, and 35 solid shot. 30 of those rounds are still in the aft ready ammunition lockers on Nürnberg. The rest are below. We are going to have to devote more men to ammunition handling for each gun than on Nürnberg, without proper shell hoists. I have figured out some tricks we can do with passenger elevators and dumbwaiters from the galley, but the gun crews are going to have to do a lot of schlepping, like in the age of sail.”

“As I said,” replied Von Schönberg. “We want to avoid any pitched battles. Hmm… 89 High Explosive shells you say. That is not many.” The officers stood and watched as the derrick swung the last gun over, and lowered it into place on Niagara’s quarterdeck.

Leipzig had made a wide circle in the channel, and came alongside Nürnberg’s ruined hull, with her nose pointing back out to the ocean.

“Haun is restless,” said Von Schönberg. Liepzig’s captain stood on the cruiser’s open bridge, looking back out to the Pacific with his binoculars. “He wants to be able to dash out to sea, if he needs to. I too am feeling claustrophobic in these narrow waters.”

A petty officer from the engineering department arrived to report the conditions aboard Nürnberg. She was not sinking yet, on account of all the pumping. The transfer of all useful supplies was finished.

“Now that the rest of the transfer is complete,” Von Schönberg said to the engineering officer, “Evaluate what would be involved in bringing Nürnberg’s spare torpedoes up and over to Leipzig.” The officer thought for a moment, then dashed off back to Nürnberg. The whine of drills aft announced that the last 10.5 cm gun was being mounted to Niagara’s deck.

Von Schönberg looked again at Leipzig, and realized that Haun had somehow acquired a full set of ship’s boats, where he had none at sunset. He was soon made aware that Leipzig also had 162 extra German merchant sailors aboard, apparently from that liner that Haun boarded off Bamfield. Some stories needed to be told, but there was no time at the moment.

Von Schönberg and Haun juggled crew allotments that saw most of the naval crews returned to serve under their respective commanders, and most of the crews of the prize auxiliaries filled out with merchant seamen from Saxonia. This was accomplished with Leipzig’s new set of boats running back and forth around the Channel. Niagara got a boost in her crew, such that merchant seamen would run the ship while Nürnberg’s Kaiserliche Marine crew would serve her more warlike functions. Von Schönberg did manage to retain Oberlieutnant Riediger, and a few of Leipzig’s officers who had become familiar with the operation of the big New Zealand liner.

“I have a way to lift the spare torpedoes, sir,” reported the engineering petty officer when he arrived back. Von Schönberg noticed the man’s trousers were dripping filthy water onto the teak of Niagara’s bridge wing decking. “We can use timbers and blocks and tackles to serve instead of the damaged reloading equipment. There is about half a meter of water in the torpedo compartment, but we can manage. Shall I begin sir?”

“Please," ordered Von Schönberg. Leipzig’s boats were moving around the Sound, delivering crew to their new assignments. No sooner had the petty officer turned and left than he was replaced by a wireless runner.

“We just received and decoded this message, sir.”

SMS PRINCESS SOPHIA TO SMS NURNBERG OFF FLORES ISLAND CLAYOQUOT SOUND REQUEST ORDERS STOP

“Navigator, plot this position,” ordered Von Schönberg.

The navigator did his calculations and reported the latitude and longitude to the captain, then added, “That puts them only 30 miles away, sir.”

SMS NURNBERG TO PRINCESS SOPHIA RENDEZVOUS IN NEWCOMBE CHANNEL BARCLAY SOUND AT BEST SPEED STOP

Von Schönberg checked Niagara’s wheelhouse chronometer. The time was 0545 hours. “If Princess Sophia is steaming at her full speed of 14 knots, she should be here in just over 2 hours,” he said. “I expect all our work will be done here by then. I the meantime, I have a funeral to conduct.”

lossy-page1-1024px-First_Class_cabin_de_luxe_on_the_%27Niagara%27_%281913%29_RMG_G11001.tiff.jpg

Last edited:
After spartan quarters in a cruiser, finding yourself there would be quite the shock.

I'm somewhat at a loss as to what they intend to do with that torpedo. Better to have it, I suppose.

With so little ammo, they can run amok for a bit as a raider. but I'd stay close somewhere that I could intern.

After spartan quarters in a cruiser, finding yourself there would be quite the shock.

I'm somewhat at a loss as to what they intend to do with that torpedo. Better to have it, I suppose.

With so little ammo, they can run amok for a bit as a raider. but I'd stay close somewhere that I could intern.
I believe it is intended for the cruiser Leipzeg not Niagara. Leipzeg has the torpedo flat to handle this weapon.

“Evaluate what would be involved in bringing Nürnberg’s spare torpedoes up and over to Leipzig.”
You are right about the ammunition. With every gun firing, and the shells up top as ready ammunition, Niagara would burn through all of her shells in less than 4 minutes. However, if Von Schönberg uses her as a commerce raider, she will only be firing the occasional warning shot.

You know all this carnage being inflicted is probably bad news for the German Pacific Squadron in the long run since it means Craddock is probably getting Defense and probably another modern armored cruiser as well.