For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Whatever the jump is, if I were doing it, I’d move out of the antagonism of the Cold War and show the struggles to build an international space program. That would be the main conflict of season 2, reconciling all the various forces to get everybody on the same page a la Contact.

edit: season 3, of course

Last edited:
Whatever the jump is, if I were doing it, I’d move out of the antagonism of the Cold War and show the struggles to build an international space program. That would be the main conflict of season 2, reconciling all the various forces to get everybody on the same page a la Contact.

Contact meets National Geographics Mars show would be a great vibe.

I do not think they will jump direct to the landing, there is too much drama to be hand in the planning, training and execution to skip.

Maybe they will go to the launch though as the teaser.

I do not think they will jump direct to the landing, there is too much drama to be hand in the planning, training and execution to skip.

Maybe they will go to the launch though as the teaser.
All I want for the Mars landing is for the US flag to be planted as a yeah you got to the Moon first but we got to Mars so :p.

A bit childish I know but the ending of the last episode was about as American as football games, fatty cheeseburgers, and oversized cups that would make a doctor's eyes pop out. Also it be funny if that were to happen.

All I want for the Mars landing is for the US flag to be planted as a yeah you got to the Moon first but we got to Mars so :p.

A bit childish I know but the ending of the last episode was about as American as football games, fatty cheeseburgers, and oversized cups that would make a doctor's eyes pop out. Also it be funny if that were to happen.

Or if the flag unfurls and it's India, Japan or China

Or if the flag unfurls and it's India, Japan or China
If the flag isn't the US it may as well be whatever the EU equivalent would be. Sure the listed nations may have people who do space stuff but the space race was the US vs the USSR. It's one thing to have a crew member from the nations listed but let's not just have the show turn into everybody can enter space.

I know started its second season by flipping a few things around so people who were killed live and whatever but India, Japan, and China were not in the space race. So to add them in now makes no sense.

It occurred to me that there will still be a "Apollo 11 was a hoax" conspiracy ITTL. Except it won't be that the Moon landing didn't happen. It'll be that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin actually died when the Eagle crashed. Nixon and NASA faked their survival in order to bolster public morale after the Soviets won the Space Race.

The Apollo 23 disaster? That was an elaborate attempt to silence Gene Kranz and Michael Collins from spilling the beans. Collins actually died when the module crash landed on that beach, with a body double taking his place (just like with Armstrong and Aldrin). Apollo 24? That was to kill Deke Slayton, who doubtlessly suspected foul play in Apollo 23, if he wasn't involved in it himself — after all, wasn't it odd that a senior NASA official just so happened to get returned to flight status? Maybe that was his compensation for aiding the conspiracy, and "they" took the opportunity to ice Slayton where there were few witnesses. Tracy Stevens' rumored struggle with alcoholism? Stemmed from guilt due to participating in the grand cover-up. After all, it's not like Molly Cobb actually needed rescuing, especially not in the form of an implausible fly-by-stick interception. (And so forth.)

It occurred to me that there will still be a "Apollo 11 was a hoax" conspiracy ITTL. Except it won't be that the Moon landing didn't happen. It'll be that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin actually died when the Eagle crashed. Nixon and NASA faked their survival in order to bolster public morale after the Soviets won the Space Race.
Lol, but Buzz Aldrin will be very willing to punch anyone who doesn't think he's real! "Who's a ghost now, asshole!" He will sell t-shirts.

The Apollo 23 disaster? That was an elaborate attempt to silence Gene Kranz and Michael Collins from spilling the beans. Collins actually died when the module crash landed on that beach, with a body double taking his place (just like with Armstrong and Aldrin). Apollo 24? That was to kill Deke Slayton, who doubtlessly suspected foul play in Apollo 23, if he wasn't involved in it himself — after all, wasn't it odd that a senior NASA official just so happened to get returned to flight status? Maybe that was his compensation for aiding the conspiracy, and "they" took the opportunity to ice Slayton where there were few witnesses. Tracy Stevens' rumored struggle with alcoholism? Stemmed from guilt due to participating in the grand cover-up. After all, it's not like Molly Cobb actually needed rescuing, especially not in the form of an implausible fly-by-stick interception. (And so forth.)

I want to say that's ridiculous, but then, "Paul is dead" is an OTL conspiracy theory.

Can a Mars mission be launched from the Moon instead of directly from Earth?
Unless you build a full-scale rocket factory on the Moon (and, given the way things are going in FaM, that can't be ruled out--aluminum smelting would be energy-intensive, but possible), it doesn't really make sense to do so--the common analogy is "going from Chicago to Los Angeles by way of Houston." The detour isn't worth it.

If you launch large quantities of rocket fuel from the Moon and pre-position it in Earth orbit or Mars orbit (or both), you might have a case. The analogy in that case would be "oil from Houston to gas stations between Chicago and Los Angeles."

This image here illustrates it nicely:

1617901134323.png

I say with the Americans taking the lunar site the Cold War just got very very hot.

The USSR will push hard in Central America possibly Berlin.

Hm, NASA Administrator in the cabinet. Makes sense.

Say, if the US does build a handful of Pathfinders, would there be any market for some of the older shuttles among America’s allies? Or are they just too far through their operational life at 10ish years (once all the paperwork is done and they‘re finally delivered)? EASA jumpstart, maybe?

For all that Gordo In Space still seems like a sketchy idea, it’s a lot of fun seeing him back.

A little disappointed they went with a Space 1999 reference and not Battlestar :openedeyewink:

Some beautiful scenes in this one. Aleida and Bill. Kelly at the restaurant.

Some remarks on the recent episode:

I was always unsympathetic to Gordon ever since he cheated on his wife. However, I’m glad to hear that he has remorse for what he did. I am actually hoping that he does not reunite with Tracy. He needs to move on and let her be.

Stupid Karen... I am no longer sympathetic towards her.

So, since there is a South Vietnamese flag, maybe there are still two Vietnam’s, although I don’t know how plausible that is.

The ending was a surprise! I initially thought the Americans were going to get ambushed! From my perspective, I looks like the whole thing was set up to make the Moon Marines look bad. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Soviet government picked two cosmonauts who were speaking some other Cyrillic alphabet language that wasn’t Russian and told them to open up a box when the Americans show up. Can anyone verify what language the cosmonauts were speaking?

Also, why was the cosmonaut burning inside his suit?

EDIT: One more thing... the videophone messages show up only when at least one of the available episodes has been incompletely watched. Once you get every episode “check-marked ”, you will have access to the news reports connecting Season 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Also, why was the cosmonaut burning inside his suit?
I assume the bullet must have hit something and ignited it since those things are full of oxygen it cooked the poor cosmonaut up from the inside. Think I say a Mythbusters where they showed a dummy do something similar in a seal cockpit.

On another note, I'm not in the military but I would assume since Marines were saying something in Russian, likely a warning not to move, and even though Cosmonauts were reaching for translation card they should have known to not to do anything. One could argue they should have not been so near American mining site after seeing them with guns earlier nor should have sent anyone who didn't know at least a little English/kept their card on them rather than in a case to give the appearance of reaching for a weapon.

As soldiers the Marines are trained to take any quick movement as potentially hostile action and as likely just scientists the Cosmonauts reacted in the worst way possible to deescalate. Still doesn't make the whole thing any less tragic and how much of a political shitstorm it is to kill a Cosmonaut on the moon.