"Most Interesting Scenario To You" Redux Thread

Deleted member 147978

Welcome to the "Most Interesting Scenario To You" Redux Thread.

Inspired by the original "Most Interesting Scenario To You" thread, I had decided to revive the idea for a second time. (Notwithstanding the fact that the original thread is one year old now.)

Just as in the original thread, the rule is simple: Describe an interesting alternate history scenario that you are infatuated with. You can post anything with your heart's content.
However, I'll issue two ground rules for this thread:
1. The scenario(s) must be before 1900.
2. The scenario(s) must not be ASB.

Let's commence and christen the thread, shall we?

I'll start, my favorite alternate history that I'm infatuated with is the "Yankee Dominion" trope. The scenario is when the thirteen American colonies becoming a British Dominion with their separate at-home parliament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some of the scenarios that I'm infatuated with:
  • The existence of Sinitic-speaking nomadic pastoralists living in OTL Mongolian Plateau, particularly in the central and southern parts of the said region.
  • Chukchi-speaking clans migrated west right after their cultural transformation (Pastoralization and semi-nomadism), receiving cultural influences from Xiongnu/Huns before their ATL locations (OTL Finland and Pannonian Basin).
  • Surviving Gaulish language, spoken particularly in OTL northern and central France.
  • Surviving Dacian language.
  • Surviving Old Prussian language and its expansion to OTL Poland and Czech Republic.
  • Semi-Sinicized states in OTL southern China (the same case as Korea, Vietnam and Japan), particularly in the Jiangnan (Zhejiang-Fujian) and Lingnan (Guangdong-Guangxi-Hainan) regions.
  • Alternate migrations to South Asia [e.g. Munda dispersal to Jharkand-West Bengal (Northern Munda) and Sri Lanka (Southern Munda) and Bornean ancestors of the Malagasy to OTL Tamilakam (OTL Keral and Tamil Nadu)].
  • Nivkh-speaking Sakhalin and Hokkaido.
  • OTL central and southern Korean peninsula remained Japonic-speaking.
  • Migration of proto-Tibeto-Burmans to OTL Hubei, Hunan and Jiangxi, while OTL Tibetan Plateau and Northeast India were Ongan-speaking.
  • Dene-Yeniseian-speaking Siberia (and Russia).

PS:
Is ASB-related scenarios counted as well?

Last edited:

Deleted member 147978

Here's some of the scenarios that I'm infatuated with:
  • The existence of Sinitic-speaking nomadic pastoralists living in OTL Mongolian Plateau, particularly in the central and southern parts of the said region.
  • Chukchi-speaking clans migrated west right after their cultural transformation (Pastoralization and semi-nomadism), receiving cultural influences from Xiongnu/Huns before their ATL locations (OTL Finland and Pannonian Basin).
  • Surviving Gaulish language, spoken particularly in OTL northern and central France.
  • Surviving Dacian language.
  • Surviving Old Prussian language and its expansion to OTL Poland and Czech Republic.
  • Semi-Sinicized states in OTL southern China (the same case as Korea, Vietnam and Japan), particularly in the Jiangnan (Zhejiang-Fujian) and Lingnan (Guangdong-Guangxi-Hainan) regions.
  • Alternate migrations to South Asia [e.g. Munda dispersal to Jharkand-West Bengal (Northern Munda) and Sri Lanka (Southern Munda) and Bornean ancestors of the Malagasy to OTL Tamilakam (OTL Keral and Tamil Nadu)].
  • Nivkh-speaking Sakhalin and Hokkaido.
  • OTL central and southern Korean peninsula remained Japonic-speaking.
  • Migration of proto-Tibeto-Burmans to OTL Hubei, Hunan and Jiangxi, while OTL Tibetan Plateau and Northeast India were Ongan-speaking.
  • Dene-Yeniseian-speaking Siberia (and Russia).

PS:
Is ASB-related scenarios counted as well?
To answer your PS, no ASB scenarios. I happened to left it out I believe on purpose.
There's your clarification anyways. Hopefully, you and everyone else will understand by then.
Edit: I added the "No ASB Scenario(s)" rule now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-1900? Khazaria stronk! :D

Although judging by the number of responses I got, "Mongols!" for an alternate-ethnolinguistic British Isles might be a winner as well :)

Scheele discovers nitroglycerine which he relates to Lavouisier; the latter and his assistant du Pont refine it into dynamite. The Frebch Revolution proceeds on schedule: and after the Tullieries incident, a mob breaks into du Pont's print shop, stealing his presses and taking his papers. Soon after, a Manuel d'Anarchie is published which includes his formula for dynamite. Also, George III is assassinated by Margaret Nicholson, giving George IV on the throne and Fox as PM as the French Revolution continues.

Last edited:
  1. Edward of Westminster lives and becomes a constant thorn in the side to the Yorks and later gets the throne back.
  2. Arthur Tudor lives!
  3. Isabella of Castile marries John II of Portugal instead of Ferdinand of Aragon
  4. Tudor returning to England during the reign of Edward IV. His career there in particular would be interesting.

Total Ottoman collapse as a result of the 1907-1808 coups eliminating all of the dynasts.

Last edited:
In all seriousness though (Mongol Britain doesn't count :p), I've gotten a little obsessed over the past couple months over a surviving Napoleonic French Empire/Rheinbund/Italian "satellites"... only without Nappy himself - too much on the road to self-destruction :p Let's say he makes a horizontal departure of some sort sometime between 1810 and 1812...
Trying to figure out exactly what the succession would be for France, Holland, Westphalia, Berg, etc though is a rather nasty rabbit-hole to go down 😖

Plantagenet Aquitaine evolving to an independent state.
Byzantines and Sassanids being crushed by the Muslims.

Last edited:
As a lover of American history mine naturally are about the US. Mine are:

What if the American Revolution went different where the South stayed loyal while Canada joined the rebellion? (There's been a few TLs about the idea)
I've always found it interesting to imagine an OTL southern United States that is like a Canada analogue, but naturally with southern culture. I would love to see a graphic TL like "Our Fair Country"/"These Fair Shores" but with the South rather than New England.

What if it was the North that seceded rather than the south?
In a scenario like this, I imagine England and France would be much more likely to intercede rather than OTL.

What if America was unstable and had a lot of coups and civil wars a la Mexico style?
Honestly in this scenario, the US would likely collapse in my opinion. Would also be cool if like Mexico became the preeminent North American power and potential super-power.

Anyway, just some ideas I've always loved to ponder and think about. Unfortunately, I've haven't felt confident enough to start my own TL yet, but maybe someday I'll tackle one of these ideas.

1. Any sort of alternate Jewish state or pre-Israel Jewish polity
  2. Mongolwanks.
  3. Islamic Europe, but Ottoman Europe specifically.
  4. Balkanized Americas
  5. CP Victories that aren't Kaiserreich clones.
  6. Surviving Pagan timelines.
  7. Imperial Federation
  8. Less colonized Middle East and Africa
(in no particular order)

I have some "normie" ones like a surviving Byzantine Empire or greater Mongol conquests, but here are some others:

-Vercingetorix unites the Gallic tribes and drives out the Romans.
-Independent Coptic Egypt during the Middle Ages.
-Independent Wales.
-Delayed contact with the New World.
-The British monarchy is never restored.

Last edited:
Here’s one that’s somewhat ASB

Tudor France, but no Tudor England... maybe make the Valois just die out and the last King declares the Tudors their heirs?

-Indonesia if Prince diponegoro succeed in the Java war
-nepal under waldemar of prussia (thanks @Sārthākā for enlightining me on this)
-possibility of a 3rd opium war
-america annexing kamtchaka (there is plan to sell kamtchaka to america and some part of siberia)
-russian involvement in the american civil war (on the union side)
-an independent transvaal,orange free state and zulu
Thats the only few i can think of

-Valentinian II survives leading to surviving traditional religions (planning on writing a timeline on this)
-Rus conquest of Byzantium
-Surviving Inca state in the Andes
-Indian conquest of Sassanid state
-Buddhist influenced Khazaria and later Europe (at least more so)
-Khublai Khan’s successors unify the mongol empire
-Magyars defeat and fracture the HRE
-Norway and Scotland in personal union throughout the European middle age
-More corsair statelets all over the world

ASB is thrown at everything too lightly. :)

Any scenario where Europe is hella screwed and the rest of the world gets a massive wank.

Give me a world where the scientific method is first systematized by Islamic scholars, where the earliest factories and railroads are built in Bengal, with philosophy pioneered by the Chinese and where the first man and woman to set foot on space hails from the New World.

Much of the modern world we live in is shaped by Western traditions and institutions. I live in a non-Western country and yet we use English as our main form of learning communication in school. We listen to Western pop music, watch Western shows, and buy Western-made jeans. We follow the teachings of the Catholic Church, and while it's origins lay firmly in the Holy Land, it is the heritage of Europe, and Western influence manifests itself most in the portrayal of Jesus as a White man in Church paintings and dioramas.

I'd like to see the opposite of that; it is the most "exotic" and "unfamiliar" to me. You can swap out English for French or Spanish as the global lingua franca, and while there are certainly going to be some differences, the dominant global cultural civilizational influence will still hail from Europe. It's frankly boring and bland. It's what I live and see every day.

-Indonesia if Prince diponegoro succeed in the Java war
-nepal under waldemar of prussia (thanks @Sārthākā for enlightining me on this)
-possibility of a 3rd opium war
-america annexing kamtchaka (there is plan to sell kamtchaka to america and some part of siberia)
-russian involvement in the american civil war (on the union side)
I brought the Kamchatka thing up in a thread last year. I couldn't remember any of the details, exc that it was in the 1920's or so....

It was Washington Vanderlip (no relation to the banking magnate). He was negotiating with Lenin in the early 20s for the following concession, under a long term lease:

25Iynh4.png

-an independent transvaal,orange free state and zulu
Thats the only few i can think of