WI/AHC: US aligned Asia, USSR aligned Europe.

mial42

Gone Fishin'
Without the Maoist reforms and purges, would it be possible for the warlords and other prewar internal powers to stay in place, ultimately limiting China's growth in the long run? I've heard part of the reason for the success of the PRC starting with Deng has been due to them being able to start from a more or less clean slate following Mao.
It's possible. I don't think it's at all inevitable, since the KMT OTL was able to reform after losing the mainland and China did experience significant economic growth (albeit growth that was overwhelmingly concentrated in the still-tiny cities) during the Nanjing decade, but you could certainly come up with a plausible TL where that's what happens.
Could KMT China become a democracy like modern Taiwan, or would it be more of an oligarchy?
Either one is plausible. I suspect the US would prefer to deal with a democracy (provided, of course, that there was no danger of Communists winning), but the US will have much less leverage (still a lot, but not as much) over the TTL ROC than over Taiwan.

How about a PoD where Operation D-Day ends with a terrible failure as the German Nazis has able to defend until the Soviets came knocking the door? The campaign was a turning point for Western Allies to liberate Western Europe from Axis Powers by both United States and United Kingdom as well as the Commonwealth.

How about a PoD where Operation D-Day ends with a terrible failure as the German Nazis has able to defend until the Soviets came knocking the door? The campaign was a turning point for Western Allies to liberate Western Europe from Axis Powers by both United States and United Kingdom as well as the Commonwealth.
Even if Overlord fails, and that basically requires a weather forecasting mess up as nothing the Germans could really do could stop it, you still have Dragoon in the South in August, plus the steady advance up Italy had already reached Rome by D-Day

Even if Overlord fails, and that basically requires a weather forecasting mess up as nothing the Germans could really do could stop it, you still have Dragoon in the South in August, plus the steady advance up Italy had already reached Rome by D-Day
Yeah, I didn't really think about it, but D-Day is too late a POD. Maybe the USSR being more prepared for Barbarossa?

Alternatively, Barbarossa happens in '43 and the reorganized Red Army stops it dead in it's tracks? Either way I think you need the US to join later so as to not liberate any of Western Europe.