Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Another slap-dash "anachronistic-borders" map from Wiki.... there's just something about the Egyptian border that I find... jarring....
1017px-Territorial_changes_of_the_Ottoman_Empire_1862.jpg

An often seen error in the maps is that many of them have submerged the Kaliningrad exclave but the following example from a biology textbook obviously avoided that mistake...

badbiologybook.jpg

The borders and coastlines on this map about minority languages are good enough, but the placement of the languages is for several of them significantly off the mark.

baddialects44a.jpg

Last edited:
The borders and coastlines on this map about minority languages are good enough, but the placement of the languages is for several of them significantly off the mark.

View attachment 630742
What gets me is how France is filled with minority languages/dialects/whatever, but Spain doesn't even get two (because Basque is shared with France). What happened to Catalan or Galician? Surely they qualify "as minority languages."

What happened to Catalan or Galician? Surely they qualify "as minority languages."

Well, that map is notably picky in that regard. France and Italy are choked full with them, The British isles, Germany and the alpine nations got at least a bunch, but in Eastern Europe, The Balkans™ and Iberia they are weirdly scarce.
Although given the placement of the words on the map it might be that they are printed in the lower part of Spain not visible in that photo (but tbh I doubt that)

In the meantime have a crunchyroll

badcrunchy2.jpg

(well, it's obvious that they usually do anime, not maps, and now we also know why)

Well, that map is notably picky in that regard. France and Italy are choked full with them, The British isles, Germany and the alpine nations got at least a bunch, but in Eastern Europe, The Balkans™ and Iberia they are weirdly scarce.
Although given the placement of the words on the map it might be that they are printed in the lower part of Spain not visible in that photo (but tbh I doubt that)

In the meantime have a crunchyroll

View attachment 631006

(well, it's obvious that they usually do anime, not maps, and now we also know why)
The stylized continents can be excused by the fact that the map is just meant to give an idea of different time zones, not a geography lesson.
Still, you would think that a company that streams anime would know how far north Tokyo is.
And, I have no explanation for how Berlin and Moscow got moved eastward.

The stylized continents can be excused by the fact that the map is just meant to give an idea of different time zones, not a geography lesson.

Time zones? Someone mentioned time zones!

Now with national borders (at least some of them) and an innovative coast lines!

badtimesnext2.jpg

The hell'd they do to the Middle East? The HELL'D THEY DO TO WESTERN EUROPE?I THE HELL'D THEY DO TO INDONESIA?!?!?!
The UK, upset at the continued existence of Großdeutschland, has decided to get back into the game by sitting on France (makes the bombing range closer). Meanwhile, Greater Israel (the compromise Germany made for continuing to exist in that form) was built on the back of Indonesian soil. Now home to a bunch of delis who will put bird-of-paradise meat on a bagel.