These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Ah, while I can admit that I messed up the box (it has been fixed), what is normally Finland's place was taken by the lesser arms of Turkestan, as Finland was never administrated by Russia. The Russian Empire maintains an (albeit small) Polish administrative region, along 26 million Polish-speakers! Russian Poland remains a constant and strong part of the Russian Empire.
Ah thank you. I sort of double took and wondered. I'll blame it on ATL server error or Wiki trolling 😉

With Russia being a considered a superpower what’s there global outreach or influence like? Looking at the map it seems there completely shut out of warm water ports in the Pacific and Finland seems to have even more land than otl making the Baltic’s difficult. Do they have a sphere of influence in Eastern Europe or maybe the Middle East.?

Indian Union
qgRVDCW.png

Also it seems like the Indian Union not having a elected parliament (since Maratha is a oligarchy and nasty states exists too in the Union) and decided having a Court instead of a parliament.

So how exactly does the position of Nizam work, is it an elective position or hereditary? The Union Nizam is not the same person as the Nizam of Hyderabad even though the title of "Nizam" was only ever used for the monarchs of Hyderabad in our timeline. My personal guess is that it might be a ceremonial figure to represent the Muslim population of the Union.

So how exactly does the position of Nizam work, is it an elective position or hereditary? The Union Nizam is not the same person as the Nizam of Hyderabad even though the title of "Nizam" was only ever used for the monarchs of Hyderabad in our timeline. My personal guess is that it might be a ceremonial figure to represent the Muslim population of the Union.
Either that, or he, along with the Peshwa, have ceremonial ex officio positions as the Heads of State of the founding members.

I'm fascinated by the economic indicators you've used. Is CLSI the TTL equivalent of HDI and/or Gini? And what's the rough conversion rate between the TTL and OTL £?

With Russia being a considered a superpower what’s there global outreach or influence like? Looking at the map it seems there completely shut out of warm water ports in the Pacific and Finland seems to have even more land than otl making the Baltic’s difficult. Do they have a sphere of influence in Eastern Europe or maybe the Middle East.?

Russia is in a very unique position. It has an expansive economy, fairly wealthy people, a strong industry and ample natural resources. The lack of those ports... do pose a problem. This is a known issue for Russian leaders, as it has been for centuries. To this effect, the Ottomans have long been under Russian influence so no funny business happens with Russian commerce and Russian shipping out of the Black Sea. Russia's influence extends fairly far into Europe, mostly owing from the Great Continental War, and Russia's peacekeeping operations. One notable help for the Russians is their continued support for the small German city-states... and Prussia. Russian goods often flow through Poland and Prussia to enter the wider market. However by this point... Russia is starting to look Eastwards...

Allow me to ask a few questions about this list.

First of all, do Mitrofanov, Smotrov, Serebrov, and Ryzhkov exist in OTL, or do they only exist in this TL?
Secondly, Yavlinsky was born in Lviv, which is a Polish city in this TL (according to the world map, that is). Are you aware of that, and if that is the case, how did Yavlinsky become a Russian prime minister?

In both Our Fair Country and These Fair Shores, I have employed the use of fictional persons to best fit the ongoing story, and to account for some butterflies that exist.

I am indeed aware of his ancestry and birthplace, there is ample backstory to the European borders and the location of the inhabitants of those territories. I do hope, perhaps by the end of this year, to have been able to touch on these matters.

Ok, that's...very different.

Indeed it is! These Fair Shores has a much deeper background and far less convergences than reality, though it will still employ some! I am hopeful for a much more rich lore which I can continue to trickle out.

Fascinating! I'm curious as to the symbolism behind having the constellation Orion in the flag of the Indian Union.

While this has been answered, I will give it confirmation. Yes, it was a proposal for India in our timeline, and much like that proposal, it was chosen for its significance and role in early Indian mythology.

Great update. If I may ask, when exactly was the Anglo-Indian war over Bengal?

As noted in the wikibox, 1973 to 1980.

Also it seems like the Indian Union not having a elected parliament (since Maratha is a oligarchy and nasty states exists too in the Union) and decided having a Court instead of a parliament.

The Representative Court and the Union Court of Administration are both directly elected bodies. Elections are enforced even in the absolute monarchies that exist inside the Indian Union.

Nizam is simply a title that was carried over. To quote Wikipedia...

The name Nizam comes from Urdu نظام /nɪˈzɑːm/, which itself is derived from Arabic language niẓām which means "order" or "arrangement". Nizām-ul-mulk was a title first used in Urdu around 1600 to mean Administrator of the Realm. The word is derived from the Arabic language, as in Abu Ali Hasan ibn Ali Tusi (11 April 1018 – 14 October 1092), better known by his honorific title of Nizam al-Mulk (Arabic: نظام‌ الملک, "Order of the Realm").

What has happened with the Union's position of Nizam is, through the urging of Hyderabad of course, the term came to be used for a general administrative office. It is not hereditary, though there is language in the multitude of agreements and treaties that enforce the Nizam and the Great Peshwa (note the influence of the Maratha) must be from different religious backgrounds. It would be perfectly acceptable to have a Great Peshwa who is Sikh, with a Hindu Nizam.

I'm fascinated by the economic indicators you've used. Is CLSI the TTL equivalent of HDI and/or Gini? And what's the rough conversion rate between the TTL and OTL £?

CLSI is a more regional measure of living standards. It is comparable, but absolutely not the same as HDI. HDI takes into account different indices than CLSI does. CLSI is more closely related to income and wealth where HDI is based on life expectancy, education, and standards of living. One could possibly re-create HDI using CLSI and life expectancy as a crude metric (though I only have partial data on each country's schooling data), but CLSI also suffers from incompatibility because it is strongly a regional metric. A country may, on paper, look extremely poor and miserable, take Brazil for example. However, given its proximity to Argentina, which is exceptionally wealthy, the regional markers that Brazil must hit for a higher CLSI suffer, and its score is pushed down. Likewise for Europe - if everyone has high scores, then regionally they will look so much poorer once a score is only a bit off the mark. A word of caution - it would be best to use CLSI only on a continental scale for more precise understandings of living standards. The CLSI of the Cape of Good Hope and of Hanover can roughly tell you which is better off, but if this was simple HDI, the two would have different numbers. Hope that helps!

As for the British pound, I am remiss to say I must continue to obfuscate it, I have a formula set up and I roughly know the exchange rate. However, it runs into issues of purchasing power being different, inflation being different, the cost of goods and services being different and so on and so forth...

What I can provide is this nifty chart.

77Qr6se.png

I really like that explanation of CLSI. It really gets across the sense that, if you’re in Brazil, it might feel like you’re doing badly because of Argentina right next to you but in reality you’re probably doing fine.

As noted in the wikibox, 1973 to 1980.
I'm certainly interested in how a full-scale war (in contrast to the proxy wars of otl) between nations would play out in the 70s. I can imagine that the question of the morality of the bombardment and blockade would cause the war to not be very popular with the Empire's youth.

I really like that explanation of CLSI. It really gets across the sense that, if you’re in Brazil, it might feel like you’re doing badly because of Argentina right next to you but in reality you’re probably doing fine.
Although, CLSI combined with the Life Expectancy map might give you a better idea of which areas are doing better than each other worldwide. It's not perfect, obviously, but it is additional data to provide a comparison.

I am a simple man. I see awesome post by CosmicAsh, I give tribute of kitty picture:

751547ff6ee9fa406d0f2aaace47da2a.jpg

I assume the Congress of Europe is TTL's Council of Europe.

EDIT: Wait, Canada has university constituencies in its legislature?

Yay for the Liberal Party being in government.

Looks like there were a fair few Prime Ministers over the years. I'm assuming at least some of them stepped down from the position, either by choice or otherwise.

Last edited: