These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

I absolutely adore the fact that there are indigenous nations with governance that can't even be classified by western standards

Given their location, they're probably non-state or tribal entities of some sort or another, but I wonder how the hell would they be able to keep the rest of the world from going Leopold II on them...

Quick question - the world map has Trento in Germany, whilst the Europe 1814 map has it part of Italy.

I'm assuming there have been border modifications since then, given Italy has Istria in the modern day.

Given their location, they're probably non-state or tribal entities of some sort or another, but I wonder how the hell would they be able to keep the rest of the world from going Leopold II on them...
I believe that the most obvious explanation is that Western powers did not feel the need to scramble for Africa and Asia in the manner in which they scrambled for these continents in our timeline because of a significantly different approach towards indigenous people, such as the partial or full absence of a white man's burden ideology.

Of course, this is merely a hypothesis, and we are all anxious to hear the explanation of the writer of this timeline.

@CosmicAsh I've been lurking through this timeline for a while and I'm just now deciding to make an account. This is sort of a stupid question, but I'm kind of wondering what the punk rock scene is like, especially in Britain. Given everything going on outside of New England, it certainly seems like there's enough misery for a punk scene. I'm wondering what rock music is like here, and punk is a pretty big element.

Last edited:
I feel so left out, I only now just found this! I thought that an announcement would've been made on the old, I'm so excited to see what's in store and after skimming over the already made maps and graphics, I know it's going to be good!

Nevermind European colonialism in Africa, I'm intrigued to see the states born of Arab colonialism remain on the map: Zanzibar and Utetera. I wonder if Oman being the only independent Arabian state (bar Arabia) is a coincidence in this regard...

The Russian Empire; State Duma of the Russian Empire; List of Prime Ministers of Russia
GoV9MOz.png

QonYjNT.png

apFzeGh.png

And now, for the first look into the wider world... the Russian Empire! It will be a longer-term goal to bring a proper, full wikipage for these, but for now... they must be teasers! I hope this will help begin to frame the world...

Last edited:
mZz4ECR.png

C8eqWUY.png

apFzeGh.png

And now, for the first look into the wider world... the Russian Empire! It will be a longer-term goal to bring a proper, full wikipage for these, but for now... they must be teasers! I hope this will help begin to frame the world...
I G N A T I E F F

This does help explain what's going on in Eastern Europe, and, to a degree, the borders of France.

And that Nicholas III looks suspiciously like Prince Michael of Kent. :p

This does help explain what's going on in Eastern Europe, and, to a degree, the borders of France.

And that Nicholas III looks suspiciously like Prince Michael of Kent. :p
Indeed! I had hoped things would begin to make more sense.

As it were, Prince Michael and Nicholas III do look similar, but if you look closely, you can tell they are not the same person. Do remember that Prince Michael's grandmother was a member of the Romanov family!

Indeed! I had hoped things would begin to make more sense.
It does.

But now I want to know more about the Great Continental War. Did another Bonaparte commit the cardinal sin of Invading Russia In Winter? ;)
As it were, Prince Michael and Nicholas III do look similar, but if you look closely, you can tell they are not the same person. Do remember that Prince Michael's grandmother was a member of the Romanov family!
It's probably a George V/Nicholas II type "almost twins" thing. :p

Why does the Empire arms appear to carry that of Poland and Finland despite not having them in its borders?
The Empire appears rather democratic so would have assumed any English King of France like claims to be dropped by now.

It does.

But now I want to know more about the Great Continental War. Did another Bonaparte commit the cardinal sin of Invading Russia In Winter? ;)

It's probably a George V/Nicholas II type "almost twins" thing. :p
GnZduI6.png

You are quite right on the "almost twins" factor!

Why does the Empire arms appear to carry that of Poland and Finland despite not having them in its borders?
The Empire appears rather democratic so would have assumed any English King of France like claims to be dropped by now.

Ah, while I can admit that I messed up the box (it has been fixed), what is normally Finland's place was taken by the lesser arms of Turkestan, as Finland was never administrated by Russia. The Russian Empire maintains an (albeit small) Polish administrative region, along 26 million Polish-speakers! Russian Poland remains a constant and strong part of the Russian Empire.