Supposing Edward VI of England survives to his late 70s, what does his reign look like?

VVD0D95

Banned
True, Edward probably wouldn’t kill Mary, it would upset Catholic nobles like Norfolk. As for Mary Queen of Scots maybe have Francis II did early and Mary head back to Scotland but get shipwrecked England and forced to marry Edward?

Hmm, true an Anglo-French alliance could last for some time. I doubt it would last though, the whole issue of Calais could lead to war. Though the Spanish Netherlands are in a spot of bother here with the Anglo-French relations. The French Wars of Religion would also be interesting.

I doubt Edward would treat Mary like you mentioned in the last few lines of the post, I think they could be too close for Edward to do some of that.

Why would they be too close? As far as he's concerned she's a heretic, she might be his sister, but she's also a heretic.

I doubt it would last though, the whole issue of Calais could lead to war.
So long as Edward doesn't do anything openly aggressive, I don't see that they will. Henri II only seized Calais because England was on the opposite side.

Though the Spanish Netherlands are in a spot of bother here with the Anglo-French relations.
In what sense? Since Spain isn't getting the Netherlands when Karl V abdicates, that means the Austrian Habsburgs get them, which throws that whole OTL history out the window.

The French Wars of Religion would also be interesting.
If Edward marries Élisabeth, then Henri II might avoid his jousting accident that kills him. Now, that aside, Henri II was pretty much far more capable than his dad or (most) of his sons (excepting Henri III), which could see a different outcome than OTL.

I doubt Edward would treat Mary like you mentioned in the last few lines of the post, I think they could be too close for Edward to do some of that.
Mary was also the "pearl of the world" to Henry VIII and I don't think he can be said to have treated her well. Edward VI is a teenager in the 1550s. Worse, a teenager who has been king from a young age. If his council was the "only" brake on his doing something to Mary, who's to say he can't/won't be cruel and unusual once those advisors are removed?

So long as Edward doesn't do anything openly aggressive, I don't see that they will. Henri II only seized Calais because England was on the opposite side.
I meant later down the line, like when Edward dies.
In what sense? Since Spain isn't getting the Netherlands when Karl V abdicates, that means the Austrian Habsburgs get them, which throws that whole OTL history out the window.
Why? The Spanish got them in otl. Though the Austrians getting them makes the map much neater.
If Edward marries Élisabeth, then Henri II might avoid his jousting accident that kills him. Now, that aside, Henri II was pretty much far more capable than his dad or (most) of his sons (excepting Henri III), which could see a different outcome than OTL.
True, I remember one person said nearly any POD could keep Henri II from getting into his accident because of how specific it was.
Mary was also the "pearl of the world" to Henry VIII and I don't think he can be said to have treated her well. Edward VI is a teenager in the 1550s. Worse, a teenager who has been king from a young age. If his council was the "only" brake on his doing something to Mary, who's to say he can't/won't be cruel and unusual once those advisors are removed?
True, I guess Mary could be in trouble then. Though I doubt it would be as bad as what Henry VIII did.

Why? The Spanish got them in otl. Though the Austrians getting them makes the match much neater.
Karl V gave the Netherlands to Felipe when Felipe married Mary (to make Felipe more...attractive to the English), no Felipe-Mary means no Spanish Netherlands. Which means Austria gets them.
True, I guess Mary could be in trouble then. Though I doubt it would be as bad as what Henry VIII did.
Depends on Ned. Henry threatened Mary with imprisonment in the Tower and charges of treason, murdering her half-brother, Fitzroy, etc etc if she wouldn't submit to his authority. If Ned takes it into his head to dust those charges off...

Why? The Spanish got them in otl. Though the Austrians getting them makes the map much neater.
Philip got them in OTL as they were his dowry for Mary Tudor, to be inherited by their children and kept separate from Spain. Before that Charles was long undecided if leaving them to his son Philip (who do not cared for them) or to his elder daughter Maria (who was married to Maximilian of Austria). Without the wedding between Philip and Mary, is most likely who the Netherlands will go to Maria (or to her second son Ernest) as Philip’s chances to inherit them are small.

Karl V gave the Netherlands to Felipe when Felipe married Mary (to make Felipe more...attractive to the English), no Felipe-Mary means no Spanish Netherlands. Which means Austria gets them.
Philip got them in OTL as they were his dowry for Mary Tudor, to be inherited by their children and kept separate from Spain. Before that Charles was long undecided if leaving them to his son Philip (who do not cared for them) or to his elder daughter Maria (who was married to Maximilian of Austria). Without the wedding between Philip and Mary, is most likely who the Netherlands will go to Maria (or to her second son Ernest) as Philip’s chances to inherit them are small.
Ah I see, so that probably means no Dutch Revolt (If I remember correctly they only revolted because Philip was to Spanish for them and because of religion)
Depends on Ned. Henry threatened Mary with imprisonment in the Tower and charges of treason, murdering her half-brother, Fitzroy, etc etc if she wouldn't submit to his authority. If Ned takes it into his head to dust those charges off...
Oh I see, so she could either get a better or worse treatment here then.

True, but living into his late seventies as the title suggests is a bit much.
Respectfully disagree, but Edward VI being born in 1537 means that his late seventies are ~1615, so as OTL equivalent England has Jamestown (Edwardsburg?) and it survives its first few years, thus England/Britain is thus on a path to becoming a colonial nation. If he pursues this earlier or the history changes resulting butterflies may be tremendous, especially with a potentially French Ireland or early United Kingdom.

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree, but being born in 1537 means in his late seventies as OTL equivalent means ~1615, so England has Jamestown (Edwardsburg?) and is well on its way to becoming a colonial nation.
But the thing is no monarch back then (or at least I know of) made it into their late 70s, Philip made it to 71, so if you want you could make him live to 75. But any further is a bit out there.

VVD0D95

Banned
But the thing is no monarch back then (or at least I know of) made it into their late 70s, Philip made it to 71, so if you want you could make him live to 75. But any further is a bit out there.

I think going on the average age of the Tudors, him making it to his sixties is probably fair game.

Ah I see, so that probably means no Dutch Revolt (If I remember correctly they only revolted because Philip was to Spanish for them and because of religion)
Philip’s treatment was the main reason for their rebellion. If the Netherlands had been inherited by Maria or Ernest they would be ruled by Archduke Maximilian who would also likely keep there his seat until his father’s death in 1564 and is unlikely they would have any reason for rebelling

Philip’s treatment was the main reason for their rebellion. If the Netherlands had been inherited by Maria or Ernest they would be ruled by Archduke Maximilian who would also likely keep there his seat until his father’s death in 1564 and is unlikely they would have any reason for rebelling
I see, so the Habsburg Netherlands would endure here.

Edward was showing distinct signs of being as ruthless as his father could be. He was also as zealous in matters of religion as his sister Mary was, however the Bishops on his council were divided pretty evenly between those who favoured further reform along more continental forms and those who preferred the status quo (all agreed with the royal supremacy and break with Rome at least publicly) - as he ages Edward's bishops are going to be new men fully educated in matters of reform so you will probably see a march to a more Protestant Protestantism (lol) but might stop short of the later puritan views etc especially on things like church hierarchy etc.
Edward will almost certainly hope for a marriage with Elisabeth of Valois though much depends on the religious issue and whether Henry II's desire for the match will allow him to marry her to a heretic - sort of sets things up for another English claim on France if her brother's fail to reproduce as in OTL lol. Mary Stuart is a non-starter if he's married or betrothed before Francis II's death and it's unlikely the King will remain unmarried that long given the desperate need for a Tudor heir.
Mary and Elizabeth will continue to be very wealthy relatively independent women - they are forbidden to marry without consent under the law - so any marriage will be up to Edward - I can see him wanting rid of Mary especially once she is no longer heiress presumptive but i suspect she will remain unmarried barred the King's presence and under constant observation for any hint of treason (rather like Elizabeth was under Mary). Elizabeth was pretty good at play acting for her siblings for her own advantage and I can't see Edward forcing her to marry unless he desperately needed her to for political reasons so she may well remain a wealthy and much loved spinster sister.
Its far more likely that Edward will offer financial and even military aid to assist fellow Protestants against Catholic monarchs - so if you still get Protestant uprisings in Scotland, The Netherlands, and France then he is i suspect going to be more willing to help than his sister Elizabeth was.

Elizabeth was pretty good at play acting for her siblings for her own advantage and I can't see Edward forcing her to marry unless he desperately needed her to for political reasons so she may well remain a wealthy and much loved spinster sister.
Questionable legitimacy aside, Elizabeth I think here will be married abroad to a (probably) protestant prince, like any other royal woman at this time period.

Mary may be kept under close watch and confinement, but I seriously doubt that Edward would have the gall to execute her. And frankly, I don't think Henry would have either. Ruthless and determined to get what they want though they might be, neither Henry or Edward shows, at least in my opinion, signs of being (a) stupid enough to execute Mary and (b) psychopathic enough to go that far back on what was clearly a close relationship at one point.

Mary may be kept under close watch and confinement, but I seriously doubt that Edward would have the gall to execute her. And frankly, I don't think Henry would have either. Ruthless and determined to get what they want though they might be, neither Henry or Edward shows, at least in my opinion, signs of being (a) stupid enough to execute Mary and (b) psychopathic enough to go that far back on what was clearly a close relationship at one point.
Never said either would be stupid enough to execute her, but threatening to execute her and actually executing her are two separate things. Threat of a treason charge and an actual treason charge is equally not the same. Neither would risk bringing her to trial because the case would fall apart, but they're not going to put her in a position where they're forced to put that theory to the test (and show the weakness of their own position if they fail)

Never said either would be stupid enough to execute her, but threatening to execute her and actually executing her are two separate things. Threat of a treason charge and an actual treason charge is equally not the same. Neither would risk bringing her to trial because the case would fall apart, but they're not going to put her in a position where they're forced to put that theory to the test (and show the weakness of their own position if they fail)
Fair enough...I do agree with an earlier assessment that Mary during the reign of a surviving Edward would be like Elizabeth during Mary's reign IOTL. Kept in the Tower under constant watch and suspicion, possibly threatened with execution but mostly just to make her comply...

Cecily Neville made it to 80, despite a dozen pregnancies. Eleanor of Aquitaine crossed the Pyrenees in her 70s. It's not impossible, although I agree that Edward's Tudor genes are probably against him.

Cecily Neville made it to 80, despite a dozen pregnancies. Eleanor of Aquitaine crossed the Pyrenees in her 70s. It's not impossible, although I agree that Edward's Tudor genes are probably against him.
True, early 70s are the most realistic chance for him, it's only a few years older than Elizabeth was when she died and the same for his Great-Grandmother Margaret Beaufort.