Spain tried to conquer Brunei due to a succession issue which at that time did not exist.
The Philippines is what we are talking here, and the philippines at that time is made up of loose confederations and villages. Which compared to Inca and Aztec tribes which put up a great resistance towards the Spanish due to their centralized nature

The Philippines is what we are talking here, and the philippines at that time is made up of loose confederations and villages. Which compared to Inca and Aztec tribes which put up a great resistance towards the Spanish due to their centralized nature
They are both Eurasian populations and the Bruneians are immune to smallpox, the Spanish are just lucky.

They are both Eurasian populations and the Bruneians are immune to smallpox, the Spanish are just lucky.
I'm not talking about smallpox, I am talking about the types of government compared to the inca and aztec empires who has a centralized nature compared to the Philippine tribal kingdoms, In fact it is barely called a kingdom it's an more like an alliance between them, or in other words a loosely confederated chiefdoms. That is why the Spanish easily invaded the Philippines, they used divide and conquer, They allied themselves with the friendly tribes and let them do the fighting for them as they did IOTL. And why do you keep saying that the Bruneians can beat the Spanish in the time where Spain is the number 1 power in Europe. They have superiority over everything vs the Bruneians

Would this ATL-colonization of the Philippines more or less like "island hopping"?
Yes i think, because colonization would start earlier and what I mean is there is a higher chance that the Spain east indies would be bigger because there is a higher chance that the spanish would get mindanao because they already have control on Mactan, Which means earlier colonization of the spanish who is now willing to take the islands after knowing it's decentralized nature

Yes i think, because colonization would start earlier and what I mean is there is a higher chance that the Spain east indies would be bigger because there is a higher chance that the spanish would get mindanao because they already have control on Mactan, Which means earlier colonization of the spanish who is now willing to take the islands after knowing it's decentralized nature
So we would see that the ATL Spanish East Indies would become a sort of viceroyalty with a bunch of protectorates.

I'm not talking about smallpox, I am talking about the types of government compared to the inca and aztec empires who has a centralized nature compared to the Philippine tribal kingdoms, In fact it is barely called a kingdom it's an more like an alliance between them, or in other words a loosely confederated chiefdoms. That is why the Spanish easily invaded the Philippines, they used divide and conquer, They allied themselves with the friendly tribes and let them do the fighting for them as they did IOTL. And why do you keep saying that the Bruneians can beat the Spanish in the time where Spain is the number 1 power in Europe. They have superiority over everything vs the Bruneians
Yes, but I dont think they would be protectorates. Just the Viceroyalty
Except there was no Philippines prior to the time when the Spanish came, the difference between the people of South East Asia and the Europeans is that they are immune to Small Pox compared to the Native Americans and there was still no succession dispute in Brunei during the 1520s.

Also, it is possible for Spain to pursue the Spice Islands instead of Luzon since that is the area that they wanted to have in the first place.

Last edited:
Except there was no Philippines prior to the time when the Spanish came and the Spanish were already violating the Treaty of Tordesillas and also the colonization of the Philippines coincided with the death of Sebastian I, we might see the Portuguese and the Spanish warring over this.

I don't think that would happen because the dutch had already did that in Batavia and more likely their relations with each other would deteriorate but not war.

I don't think that would happen because the dutch had already did that in Batavia and more likely their relations with each other would deteriorate but not war.
It is possible for Spain to pursue the Spice Islands instead of Luzon since that is the area that they wanted to have in the first place.

There was no Muslim Majority in Mindanao at that point in time, so they might crush the Sultanates from the Bud.
Muslim areas are tough to crack but Mindanao already had some muslim lands when they came and visayas and Luzon are more likely because pagan

Muslim areas are tough to crack but Mindanao already had some muslim lands when they came and visayas and Luzon are more likely because pagan

The Maguindanao Sultanate was established in 1515 and the Muslims were just starting to establish themselves in the 1520s and Magellan had the ruler of Butuan swear allegiance to Spain, I think without the death of Magellan, the Spanish might have crushed the Muslims in Mindanao early on.

FYI when the Spanish came Luzon was also in the process of converting to Islam as well.

The Maguindanao Sultanate was established in 1515 and the Muslims were just starting to establish themselves in the 1520s and Magellan had the ruler of Butuan swear allegiance to Spain, I think without the death of Magellan, the Spanish might have crushed the Muslims in Mindanao early on.

FYI when the Spanish came Luzon was also in the process of converting to Islam as well.
Hmm nice thanks, but why not colonize it all when they can easily all the islands

Hmm nice thanks, but why not colonize it all when they can easily all the islands
I think the Luzon area would be the last ones that they would try to conquer in the scenario where Magellan survives and conquers Mindanao but they would have issues with Portugal and Brunei at this point.

I think the Luzon area would be the last ones that they would try to conquer in the scenario where Magellan survives and conquers Mindanao but they would have issues with Portugal and Brunei at this point.
I'm sure at early 1600s its already colonized all of the islands and Manila is still the centre