Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
No real context, this came out of me doing a RNG-based map game. You know, randomness can produce some weird shit, couldn't explain how the hell an anarchist and a communist faction, which were residual, ended up conquering almost the entire continent.
1613835810399.png

Makes you wonder how ww2 would pan out ittl.
Well, with China already in their pocket, Japan either won't start the pacific front, or they'll win it.

And I'm sure they think those European leased cities in south china would be much better off as Japanese concessions.

Seeing as they've just beaten the Soviets and gotten what they wanted from them, I doubt there's any interest in a Soviet-Japanese war, so they won't help Germany over in Europe directly.

The Red Order First Days of Eurasia.png

The Red Order, Last Days of Eurasia. Similar to Fuhereich, this is a DBWI of 'What if the Allies won the Second World War'. To make a long story short, The 2 Divergence or that John Nance Garnerwins the 1932 Election, and Hitler being assassinated in 1936. Himler would take charge in a power struggle. Himmler would have massive distrust over both his Allies of Italy and Japan as well as his personal ones. Topple that with the US being more prepared and the Soviets industrialization succeeding. The British would fend off any German invasion in 1941 as well as the German invasion of the Soviet Union failing. Germany and Italy would both collapse to Allied Invasion in 1945. Meanwhile, the Japanese would continue to lose battle after battle. The US would soon launch 5 Nuclear attacks on japan, causing the Government and its Army to collapses. What remains of them surrender to the US who would occupy its Major Cities down south.

In China, its civil war would restart, however with the Soviets refusing to give Manchuria to the Communist, they would be crushed by the Nationalists. In Europe, Germany is split into 3, which angered the British. With the US and USSR forcing Britain and the Dutch to give up Indonesia and India. With the USSR also backing the Vietnamese rebels, The French, British, and Dutch all left their alliance with the US. They would form an imperial Alliance between themselves, their puppets, as well as the British dominions.

By 1962, the world is split into 3, as a Cold War rage on and the threat of Nuclear War, which has only increase with the Bermuda Missile Crisis as the British placed Nuclear Weapons on the islands.

It's been several months, but here's another map from my 16th-century timeline:

deelqgo-259c2512-1aec-4022-b5e2-e87488658a6b.png

Henry VIII is dead, slain at Oxford. In his place, Richard de la Pole has seized the throne, whilst Catherine of Aragon flees across the Narrow Sea into a life of exile and piracy in Calais. Meanwhile, the Most Christian King of France, Francis I, prepares to dislodge the Tudor Exilarchate and thereby pave the way for an invasion of the Netherlands. In the Holy Roman Empire, Archduke Ferdinand manages to soothe the confessional tempers at the Diet of Speyer, promising that imperial reform is coming, Charles V being furious with Pope Clement over the latter's alliance with the French and scheming at wresting Naples from the Habsburgs. And in Hungary, Mary von Habsburg is desperately trying to restore at least some form of royal authority as rumours of an Ottoman invasion begin to flow in from Constantinople...

It's been several months, but here's another map from my 16th-century timeline:

deelqgo-259c2512-1aec-4022-b5e2-e87488658a6b.png

Henry VIII is dead, slain at Oxford. In his place, Richard de la Pole has seized the throne, whilst Catherine of Aragon flees across the Narrow Sea into a life of exile and piracy in Calais. Meanwhile, the Most Christian King of France, Francis I, prepares to dislodge the Tudor Exilarchate and thereby pave the way for an invasion of the Netherlands. In the Holy Roman Empire, Archduke Ferdinand manages to soothe the confessional tempers at the Diet of Speyer, promising that imperial reform is coming, Charles V being furious with Pope Clement over the latter's alliance with the French and scheming at wresting Naples from the Habsburgs. And in Hungary, Mary von Habsburg is desperately trying to restore at least some form of royal authority as rumours of an Ottoman invasion begin to flow in from Constantinople...
Amazing quality! I can see the time was well spent.

Another rather implausible scenario from me: In 1866, the Austrians managed to stall long enough that Napoleon III realized that Prussia was too dangerous and intervened on behalf of Austria. In the aftermath, a stronger German Confederation emerged under the undisputed leadership of Austria while Prussia got punished heavily and kicked out. With French prestige intact, the Scramble for Africa didn't become as fierce as in OTL and many African states managed to maintain their independence. Meanwhile, on the Western Hemisphere, the escalating Fenian raids eventually culminated in the Anglo-American War of 1871. Aside from the secession of New England, Britain also annexed a big part of American territories and firmly established herself in the Pacific coast. The arms race following the war prompted Britain to support the Tokugawa Shogunate to industrialize and become another ally to encircle the US. A more successful modernizing case would be the Ottomans. Thanks to the Balkan being stabilized after an agreement with Austria and the flow of French capital withdrawn from the Russian market, the Sick Man of Europe managed to get back on their feet and even expand into inland Arabia and Africa. Less fortunate than Japan and Turkey but still much luckier than their OTL counterpart, the Qing managed to reform better under the directions of Prince Gong now that Cixi died naturally in the early 1870s, though the frontier vassals were becoming increasingly disobedient. However, fearing the chance to topple their foreign overlords might pass, the secret society Tiandihui decided to test their luck, thus the Hongmen Rebellion started and the whole world held their breath.

Disclaimer: The borders of the USA, West Africa and South Africa are not mine. I borrowed almost completely from other maps but I'm not sure whose those are.

No Germany - Copy - Copy.png

Last edited:
Crossposting the latest map from my TL, A Horn of Bronze.
Below is a map of North Fusania in 1205 including both Wayam and the many smaller states in the region which remain independent. The Wayamese are by far the largest and most powerful state in North Fusania yet function as more of a tight-knit confederation, hence the five provinces of Wayam which are depicted on the map. These provinces have subjugated many bordering areas to their rule to varying degrees. Most other states portrayed on this map are city-states, with only a few being anything greater. Borders as portrayed on the map would be like an in-universe reconstruction of this era rather than defined fact.
74DATp1.png

How do you guys make colors not look garish and overly bright? I have a decent map but my color sense is just trash and I hate it. :(
Usually a lot of people use colour schemes. If you want your own colours (which is rather fair, especially if you're using a colour for depicting some niche stuff like numerous german states on the steppe), typically I play around with the RGB values, then I go down to HSV to narrow down the colour and make sure it's not too light or too dark.

How do you guys make colors not look garish and overly bright? I have a decent map but my color sense is just trash and I hate it. :(
How sophisticated of an editor are you using? Can you adjust Saturation, Hue, and Value indivually?

If you can, I recommend keeping Saturation or Value at the same level for all color in your work, and trying to keep it medium to medium-high, instead of having it at full throttle

(Oh boy, this one is gonna be controversial)

Well, this is a simple one, this is an ethnic map of China. Not the typical one you might see on Wikipedia.
It shows the biggest ethnic group in each 2nd-level subdivision (prefectures). Not the majority though, as in some areas there is no majority group, for example in some parts of Yunnan or Guangxi.
It might be surprising to some, but this is how it is, nor Inner Mongolia has a Mongolian-majority population, nor does some parts of Xinjiang.

Without any more clarifications, here you have it:
china etnic map.png

Last edited:
(Oh boy, this one is gonna be controversial)

Well, this is a simple one, this is an ethnic map of China. Not the typical one you might see on Wikipedia.
It shows the biggest ethnic group in each 2nd-level subdivision (prefectures). Not the majority though, as in some areas there is no majority group, for example in some parts of Yunnan or Guangxi.
It might be surprising to some, but this is how it is, nor Inner Mongolia has a Mongolian-majority population, nor does some parts of Xinjiang.

Without any more clarifications, here you have it:
View attachment 627598
Well I would have thought the Chinese Govt would've made more subdivisions Chinese majority.
Would you have a caption with that ?

Thank you, I've moved Brunswick a few clicks to the west :)

No, I meant that you put Brunswick wrongfully where OTL Hanover is. Brunswick is a bit more east.
It would be the capital of Brunswick-Lüneburg while Brunswick-Kassel would have Hannover as its capital.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.