Status
Not open for further replies.
have you looked at the shape of the millenium falcon and valerians ship?
You mean the oversized Cylon Raider? 'Pancake with an engine strip' is a low bar to clear when it comes to ship design.
How many ' character embedded in a block' stories can you recall offhand?
Six. Three of them from France.
Seriously, I've read all three of the Valerian stories used as examples in that article and non of them are appreciably "Star Warsian". I'd take the idea more seriously if you'd told me Valerian was one of the inspirations for Doctor Who, what with a human girl from the past swooped off as companion to a time-travelling spaceman.

Seriously, this whole things comes off as a showcase of how easily it is to pick out things that remind you of Star Wars while reading Valerian rather than the other way around.

Last edited:
You mean the oversized Cylon Raider? 'Pancake with an engine strip' is a low bar to clear when it comes to ship design.

Six. Three of them from France.
Seriously, I've read all three of the Valerian stories used as examples in that article and non of them are appreciably "Star Warsian". I'd take the idea more seriously if you'd told me Valerian was one of the inspirations for Doctor Who, what with a human girl from the past swooped off as companion to a time-travelling spaceman.
just being published several years before SW or BSG
and that is weird calling he valerian stories star warsian, they were original stories, and it is not about the stories, it is about using visual artistic ideas, and 1 or 2 could be coincidence, but such an amount?

have you looked at the shape of the millenium falcon and valerians ship?
And I was forced (by my mom) to get rid of two Fifties pulp science fiction posters featuring the tail ends of "flying saucers" with the engines in what someone could plausibly call reheat.

This is like people decrying George Lucas' "The Force" as plagiarism of Jack Kirby's "The Source," when both were copies of E. E. "Doc" Smith's "The Cosmic All," or The Lion King being a shameless copy of Tezuka's Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the White Lion when both stole from Dame Astentudo's animal tales that she wrote for Jomo Kenyatta's literary magazine.

But this is seriously derailing the thread.

I wonder if anyone, like, say, Image Entertainment is about to try to bring over the original Universal Century Gundam trilogy of seasons, plus Char's Counterattack?

I thought The Lion King was supposed to have been stolen from Shakespeare (of course, Hamlet isn't copyrighted...). Isn't there any consistency in who is stealing what from whom?

If anyone wants to take a crack at claiming theft, it'd be Perry Rhodan. It's worth noting that Lucas' notes in some places are pretty clear where they were borrowing inspiration. From that Kitbashed article on the Falcon, a note about inspirations for the TIE Fighter notes specifically that Lucas had something like the cover of Stainless Steel Rat's 1961 printing in mind:
image-asset.png
sgamhoded3701.jpg

Eh I'm morbidly curious to see what a Disney Doctor Who could look like under Henson,
What's the appeal of Dr. Who, I mean what are the basic parts of it?

Disney might be able to make something out of Dreamfinder, Figment, and the Wizard Gellz.
Traveling to strange places and having adventures.

Animal Kingdom/Beastly Kingdom: My few wishes for this timeline is that Jim Henson and the I-Werks seriously consider building this as it was originally intended, perhaps even better than it was supposed to be OTL. Beastly Kingdom would've been absolutely magical and with Henson at the head, it's just a no-brainer. We'll just have to see.
I would love Animal Kingdom ITTL to resemble something akin to this concept plan by Ideal Buildout (the full details of the plan are in the link), Beastly Kingdom and all:

Blog%2B-%2BAK%2Bbk%2B2.png

Damn, that is indeed quite impressive. I too would love that, especially the Amazon bit.
Though me being me, I have my own revisions/my own ideas:
  • Adding an Australian section on the left side just for the sake of it.
  • I'm not a fan of the Tiger River Rapids idea due to feasibility, so instead I'd scale down to a hybrid of OTL's Kali River Rapids to be a bit larger and have a mix of live animals (tapir, gibbons) and Audio-animatronics (tiger, elephant, crocodile) before the clearcut portion.
  • An expanded Amazon region in the space left over from the above. Maybe even something like this I loved back in the day: (https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/...6414-south-america-at-disney-s-animal-kingdom)
  • Beastly Kingdom would themed around Greek/Mediterranean culture and Mythology to distinguish it from EPCOT's pavilions and Fantasyland.

PNWKing

Banned
Best actors for Joker: Robin Williams, William Dafoe, Kurt Russell, and Mel Gibson. You can pick from those if you want. I think Bruce Campbell is going to play Batman, so this is going to be interesting.

Beastly Kingdom would themed around Greek/Mediterranean culture and Mythology to distinguish it from EPCOT's pavilions and Fantasyland.
The Beastly Kingdom part of the concept (with the exception of the Swan Queen ride and Merlin’s Menagerie) is basically the exact OTL Beastly Kingdom concept. So the land is basically intended to be themed around a mix of both Fantasy and Mythological creatures.

Beastly_Kingdom_Concept.jpg

So I don’t see why it’d have to change.

Plus the Fantasia Gardens is based the Greek Mythology part of the original Fantasia movie. In fact, here’s one of the only public concept art of the ride:

bk03.preview-590x454-1.jpg

Last edited:
I mean like entirely themed land, not just a subsection
The land is supposed to be a mix of fantasy creatures and mythological creatures. Why try to remove the fantasy creatures? There’s no reason to restrict Disney from using unicorns, dragons, mermaids, and the Loch Ness monster, as well as other fantasy creatures, like in the original concept.

Removing the fantasy aspect would just make the land lesser in my opinion. At that point it’s not even Beastly Kingdom any more.

Last edited:
Best actors for Joker: Robin Williams, William Dafoe, Kurt Russell, and Mel Gibson. You can pick from those if you want. I think Bruce Campbell is going to play Batman, so this is going to be interesting.
I'd throw my vote to either Robin Williams, Willem Dafoe, Tim Curry, or David Bowie.

I would prefer Jim Carrey, or especially Mark Hamil: he can easily look the part with makeup and his voice in the Timmverse cartoons and the Arkham Asylum series seemingly can't be beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.