The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presidential_Primaries_GUI.png
dkjojovobjh61.png

Last edited:
how would Vatican 2 happen in the TNOTL?
Dunno. That said, I do think the Vatican could have some interesting content. Even if (as I think would be best) there is no opportunity for actual warfare, the Vatican can and does have a massive impact on the world, and especially Italy.

chankljp

Donor
I literally open this thread in order to share that post about McGovern from Reddit, but you have beaten me to it.

After reading this I wonder if perhaps similar to Bennett, who had unfairly gained a bad reputation as an unprincipled weakling due to his focus on wanting to make compromises with all sides (While in reality, a pro-Republican Bennett is the best 1964 candidate if you want to strengthen the US' internal stability and unity OFN without radicalising the place); Perhaps McGovern would be the same. In that he would get a fandom reputation as a pacifist dove that have no place sitting in the White House in a world as messed up as TNO... But in reality, he would be the best option in making the US win the Cold War via a long game of hearts and minds without wasting blood and treasure on pointless proxy war overseas.

I literally open this thread in order to share that post about McGovern from Reddit, but you have beaten me to it.

After reading this I wonder if perhaps similar to Bennett, who had unfairly gained a bad reputation as an unprincipled weakling due to his focus on wanting to make compromises with all sides (While in reality, a pro-Republican Bennett is the best 1964 candidate if you want to strengthen the US' internal stability and unity OFN without radicalising the place); Perhaps McGovern would be the same. In that he would get a fandom reputation as a pacifist dove that have no place sitting in the White House in a world as messed up as TNO... But in reality, he would be the best option in making the US win the Cold War via a long game of hearts and minds without wasting blood and treasure on pointless proxy war overseas.
Only if you quietly ignore the crushing poverty rate

So, wikipedia page is confusing about Speidel as he is classified as a italian like fascist on his intro description, but then it says below it that he was a national conservative of the DNVP, thus I asked mein german freund herr @Stenz about Speidel, this is what he wrote:

"Wouldn’t be the first time Wikipedia is strange."
"National conservative. He was “old school Heer” like many of the other July Plotters. He wanted Germany’s old borders back, wasn’t awed by the idea of going to War to achieve it, probably did or condoned bad things in Russia, but drew the line at the nazi’s excesses to the peoples of Eastern Europe and the Jews. Apparently de Gaulle disliked him for what he did to Paris’ Jews in ‘42 but I don’t know what that was and probably ‘just’ extended to rounding them up for deportation. Also, de Gaulle probably disliked him more for his anti-resistance actions in Paris.

‘Fascist’ gets bandied around a lot when discussing WWII-era Germans, because of the obvious, but often when they aren’t nazis it isn’t strictly accurate."

I asked about Speidel and the german conservative resistance, the Black Orchestra, this is what he responded after finishing his Bier and krauts:

"Most definitely. His job was to recruit Rommel into the July 20 plot, which is debatable as to how successful he was. But he was certainly involved with the Resistance."

I started an Italy game, and I think I've ran into a game breaking bug - at the start of the game I started to influence Croatia before they got puppeted for free by the event (didn't really realize what I was doing :p) and that caused the UI to lock me with the national spirit and a minus - 0.25 political power penalty. That wouldn't have been so bad, but it seems to have completely fried the influence system, too: I can get countries into the sphere using the great game, but I can't actually get any more influence in them on that screen and the button to try doesn't work.

I started an Italy game, and I think I've ran into a game breaking bug - at the start of the game I started to influence Croatia before they got puppeted for free by the event (didn't really realize what I was doing :p) and that caused the UI to lock me with the national spirit and a minus - 0.25 political power penalty. That wouldn't have been so bad, but it seems to have completely fried the influence system, too: I can get countries into the sphere using the great game, but I can't actually get any more influence in them on that screen and the button to try doesn't work.
If you have Discord you can report it on there.

If you have Discord you can report it on there.
I don't have Discord, alas. I've been able to remove the national spirit with a bit of tinkering inside the save file without too much difficulty, but I haven't the first clue about the GUI problem and how to sort that out - it must be in there somewhere, but I'm not that interested in trying to track it down when my save got mangled anyway: Goering came into power of Germany and tried to invade Bulgaria for some reason without even getting the first war plan, but didn't have military access and ended up having his economic implosion before any of the warplans whatsoever were done. I was kinda hoping to have a shoot out with them over the Alps, but I guess not.

Well, I guess that means I'm just gonna have to do the shoot out from the other side :p

So, I have been talking with the CSS team leader about Shafarevich, this is part of the back and forth:

Leader:

Shaf is defiently a fascist
the dev team says he is and I think the only reason people dont see him fully as one is mainly a mistake made by the devs
I think if they go back to russia, Shafs focus tree will get a revamp

Me:

I believe that people don't think he's a fascist,
for one single reason: There is no direct colleration.
You see him doing fascist stuff with his own mindset, he is not quoting mussolini or anything
It seems like he come up with these things by himself
And that he follows the "normal political structure" to pass fascist stuff, instead of adopting a fascist political one.
Just to know, what is that error the team comitted?

Leader:

they want to display him as a mussolini fascist
but with the confusion of the community that fails to see that
that was the error pretty much

So, I have been talking with the CSS team leader about Shafarevich, this is part of the back and forth:

Leader:

Shaf is defiently a fascist
the dev team says he is and I think the only reason people dont see him fully as one is mainly a mistake made by the devs
I think if they go back to russia, Shafs focus tree will get a revamp

Me:

I believe that people don't think he's a fascist,
for one single reason: There is no direct colleration.
You see him doing fascist stuff with his own mindset, he is not quoting mussolini or anything
It seems like he come up with these things by himself
And that he follows the "normal political structure" to pass fascist stuff, instead of adopting a fascist political one.
Just to know, what is that error the team comitted?

Leader:

they want to display him as a mussolini fascist
but with the confusion of the community that fails to see that
that was the error pretty much
It is weird people don't see him as a fascist when his ideology is called in-game ''fascism''
The "small nations" he believes him for example ...

Last edited:
It is weird people don't see him as a fascist when his ideology is called in-game ''fascism''
I tried to come up with all different explanations why he was being classified as a fascist without being one, like being a overly racist conservative or a far right authoritarian, but at the end of the day I was wrong.

brooklyn99

Banned
It is weird people don't see him as a fascist when his ideology is called in-game ''fascism''?
He doesn't seem to fit what others would imagine Fascism to look like, if anything he seems a lot more comparable to the Dixiecrats, who are classified as "AuthDem" ingame. For one thing, he does take measures to restrict minorities the right to vote, yet does so in an underhanded way that is supposed to make voting a Kafkaesque practical impossibility, like what was done in the Jim Crow South with the literacy tests.

Also, whereas we would imagine Fascists to flat out not bother with upholding the fiction of democracy, it seems that Shafarevich goes to great lengths in propagandizing the narrative of his Russia being a "National Democracy" and not a Dictatorship. We would also imagine Fascist governments to make great use of their monopoly on violence to cement their dominance, yet we don't see much of that in Shafarevich's "Russian Free Republic", rather, Shaf almost entirely consolidates his power and stifles his opposition through extensively manipulating the Democratic/political process i.e. controlled opposition.

Thusly , people may find it hard to believe that Shaf is Fascist as the type of political structure he builds Russia around seems more reminiscent of a highly flawed democracy that could be seen in the Jim Crow Southern US, rather than an out-and-out Tyranny. Which is why many are accepting of the idea that he could fit as a Condem, because Shaf seems just about tempered enough to have a place in Centre-Komi (assuming he knows well enough to not go overboard with his prejudices like Voznesensky). The fact that he is labelled as Fascist could be perceived as an oversimplification. Like Serov being labelled a "NatSoc" like Bormann and Vagner when he is very much a Communist (one with particularly eccentric theories and shunned by many of his Marxist peers, but a Communist nonetheless).

He doesn't seem to fit what others would imagine Fascism to look like, if anything he seems a lot more comparable to the Dixiecrats, who are classified as "AuthDem" ingame. For one thing, he does take measures to restrict minorities the right to vote, yet does so in an underhanded way that is supposed to make voting a Kafkaesque practical impossibility, like what was done in the Jim Crow South with the literacy tests.

Also, whereas we would imagine Fascists to flat out not bother with upholding the fiction of democracy, it seems that Shafarevich goes to great lengths in propagandizing the narrative of his Russia being a "National Democracy" and not a Dictatorship. We would also imagine Fascist governments to make great use of their monopoly on violence to cement their dominance, yet we don't see much of that in Shafarevich's "Russian Free Republic", rather, Shaf almost entirely consolidates his power and stifles his opposition through extensively manipulating the Democratic/political process i.e. controlled opposition.

Thusly , people may find it hard to believe that Shaf is Fascist as the type of political structure he builds Russia around seems more reminiscent of a highly flawed democracy that could be seen in the Jim Crow Southern US, rather than an out-and-out Tyranny. Which is why many are accepting of the idea that he could fit as a Condem, because Shaf seems just about tempered enough to have a place in Centre-Komi (assuming he knows well enough to not go overboard with his prejudices like Voznesensky). The fact that he is labelled as Fascist could be perceived as an oversimplification. Like Serov being labelled a "NatSoc" like Bormann and Vagner when he is very much a Communist (one with particularly eccentric theories and shunned by many of his Marxist peers, but a Communist nonetheless).
And here I go again...

Yes I agree. He seems more like a very racist Condem, some kind of autdem nationalist than a full blown fascist.

I always return to this position, he simple does not seems like a fascist on his route.

I think the question of Shafarevich's political taxonomy can perhaps be argued more easily in favor of @Gukpard 's stance. However, very much depending on TNO2, one could potentially make a "proto-fascist" reading of Shafarevich, interpreting his actions as setting up a more overtly fascist regime simply through a methodology more palatable to Komi's republican national ethos.

I'm also still playing around with the super events as cinematic animations concept. Still haven't got around to finishing the Russia ones, but I was very impressed when the devs reworked the Iberian Wars super event. I'm still somewhat confused that none of the audio lines within seem geared toward Portugal, but that could be something I'm missing. Anyway, here's my take:

A Farce, then Tragedy: Adagio for Strings plays as we face the flat wall of a ruined building. It is night and the wall is lit by firelight burning from behind the camera’s POV. As each speaker is heard, shadows appear on the wall as if those represented are temporarily in front of the fire but behind the camera, then fade sequentially as the next group appears.
  • Gora Euskadi Askatuta!"
    • Basque separatists stand over a group of federal prisoners, armed with assault rifles. A leader raises his rifle in one hand and a flag in the other and exclaims “Long live free Basque Country!” and the militants raise their rifles toward the kneeling captives.
  • Franco! Franco! Franco! Franco! Franco!
    • Supporters cheer as Francisco Franco’s shadow atop a car drives by them, followed by APCs with extra infantry holding on to the sides of the vehicles. A caricature of António Salazar burns and the audience stomp on it as it collapses. Yves Guérin-Sérac rides past and starts distributing weapons to the crowd.
  • Viva! Viva la Muerte! Viva!
    • Jaime Milans del Bosch stands in military dress atop a wrecked Jeep, passionately exulting with his crowd of soldiers in a revival of the Juntas de Ofensiva Nacional-Sindicalista. With every “Viva”, they raise their weapons and the bayonets on their rifles drip blood each time. Behind him, José Luis de Arrese follows eagerly, flanked by heavily armed bodyguards wearing stahlhelms.
  • M’ba! [???*] M’ba!
    • A vast audience praises Leon M’ba as he ascends the steps of the colonial administration building in Libreville while the governors are violently defenestrated. Every time the people hear his name, they raise their fists.
  • “[My people, G-d willing, tomorrow we breakthrough**]
    • A family gather around a radio to hear Hassan II’s speech as next door a youthful neighbor paints a Moroccan pentangle on the wall.
  • Ciutadans de Catalunya, ja sóc aquí!
    • Josep Tarradellas emerges from an airplane on the left to address a massive collection of citizens on the right who applaud jubilantly. Beyond them, the Iberian flag is lowered and a Catalan banner raised in its place.
  • No Pasaran! No Pasaran!
    • Spanish Communists battle through Madrid, many chanting as their compatriors brawl with the army in the street. Guerillas and guards exchange shots while students frantically drag a fallen comrade away from the chaos. Even as they prop her against a wall, she remains unmoving.
  • ARRIBA ESPAÑA!
    • Blas Piñar addresses a vast collection of national integralists. As he concludes “Viva Cristo Rey! ARRIBA ESPAÑA!”*** The crowd erupts with fanaticism. To their sides lay executed political rivals. Carlos Arias Navarro watches contemplatively as more are brought forward and shot.
*I had trouble catching the middle word in the chant and haven't found the original audio. I also don't speak...(Fang? Not sure). So this is my improvised attempt at transliteration. Sorry, if I find the original I'll fix the text.

**I actually did find the original audio for this one, but couldn't get a transcript for the text. Again, sorry. I'll fix this when I find a transliteration of the original Arabic.

***We only hear part of the end of Piñar's speech in the super event, but I thought including the preceding line helps set up the in-game relationship to the "National Redemption Front" faction.

Previous cinematic concept here. Next TBA

Last edited:
@Gukpa

The point about this man Shafarevich is that he represents a very real danger, and something rare in the TNO world - the democratically elected fascist, or far-right individual.

That's why the devs are so worried about him.

@Gukpa

The point about this man Shafarevich is that he represents a very real danger, and something rare in the TNO world - the democratically elected fascist, or far-right individual.

That's why the devs are so worried about him.
I have seen even a discussion about that, but again, he comes as a far right authoritarian, not exactly as a fascist since we see no direct correlation of him and fascism.

This could be broken by having him make a "chamber of corporations", create a national militia (a militia is mentioned only on his victory event without specifing it), or maybe have a scene with him saying he want to emulate Mussolini.

I have seen even a discussion about that, but again, he comes as a far right authoritarian, not exactly as a fascist since we see no direct correlation of him and fascism.

This could be broken by having him make a "chamber of corporations", create a national militia (a militia is mentioned only on his victory event without specifing it), or maybe have a scene with him saying he want to emulate Mussolini.

I think that was a deliberate choice on their part, but it needs more refining. I'll explain. What makes the democratically elected fascists so dangerous in the first place is that they don't say anything remotely fascist in public, or to describe their policies.

Imagine if an Integralist got elected by a large margin. The name 'Integralist' scares the people. But their policies, they will follow it as long as that word isn't used because they support them.

Give him as you suggested a scene in private, where it's revealed he very much wants to emulate Mussolini.

Status
Not open for further replies.