These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Because if your saying the US wouldn’t annex stuff from northern Mexico because it’s southern led, I’d argue that that would encourage them to annex more as they did in OFC, additionally this US clearly doesn’t have qualms with conquering areas with Hispanics in since they have Cuba.

It’s of course reasonable for this to happen and it can be explained by simply having the political climate/President be anti-expansion during this ALT-Mexican-American war but have it change to be pro-expansion come Cuba.

How and why? It's doubtless you've thought through this but at a cursory glance it seems to me like Texas would be a nightmare location for filming pre-airconditioning.

Interesting, what of the areas that this US didn't annex that are suitable for slave holding?

In the 1910s and 1920s, a dry location was required for shooting movies, which is how El Paso emerged as the primary candidate for the film industry. Films would have been mostly shot in the autumn, winter, and spring with everyone leaving during the summer months. This would have prompted both development of El Paso, along with the construction of a rail connection.

What's the ETA on a list of US presidents or New English PMs?
The United States is not a main focus for me to cover, it is a relatively minor nation on the global scale. Such an item will come, but will likely not be until Spring or Summer. New England's leadership is still a work in progress.

Because if your saying the US wouldn’t annex stuff from northern Mexico because it’s southern led, I’d argue that that would encourage them to annex more as they did in OFC, additionally this US clearly doesn’t have qualms with conquering areas with Hispanics in since they have Cuba.

It’s of course reasonable for this to happen and it can be explained by simply having the political climate/President be anti-expansion during this ALT-Mexican-American war but have it change to be pro-expansion come Cuba.

The political history of the United States, along with the conflicts they found themselves involved in, closed the door on expansionism into Mexico. Some of this will be touched upon once I finish the history of California, which I have an outline for at the moment.

In the 1910s and 1920s, a dry location was required for shooting movies, which is how El Paso emerged as the primary candidate for the film industry. Films would have been mostly shot in the autumn, winter, and spring with everyone leaving during the summer months. This would have prompted both development of El Paso, along with the construction of a rail connection.

The United States is not a main focus for me to cover, it is a relatively minor nation on the global scale. Such an item will come, but will likely not be until Spring or Summer. New England's leadership is still a work in progress.

The political history of the United States, along with the conflicts they found themselves involved in, closed the door on expansionism into Mexico. Some of this will be touched upon once I finish the history of California, which I have an outline for at the moment.
Neat, thanks for the response

Gabingston

Kicked
It looks like the U.S. is quite south-centric ITTL, considering that expanding slavery was the main objective of TTL's U.S. (in contrast to OTL, where the country was fiercely divided on the issue).

It looks like the U.S. is quite south-centric ITTL, considering that expanding slavery was the main objective of TTL's U.S. (in contrast to OTL, where the country was fiercely divided on the issue).
Losing what would have been six free states (and part of a seventh) will do that.

I'm wandering how many more states in the US were slave states ITTL. There obviously wasn't a Missouri Compromise-equivalent ITTL, given Texas' borders.

Losing what would have been six free states (and part of a seventh) will do that.

I'm wandering how many more states in the US were slave states ITTL. There obviously wasn't a Missouri Compromise-equivalent ITTL, given Texas' borders.
I mean the equivalent may have been “slavery is allowed to be banned in some territories and the northern states but only if Missouri is a slave state and Texas remains united, among other things”

Gabingston

Kicked
I mean the equivalent may have been “slavery is allowed to be banned in some territories and the northern states but only if Missouri is a slave state and Texas remains united, among other things”
Wouldn't it have been advantageous for the dominant South to split Texas into smaller states, thus getting even more of a stranglehold on the senate?

Wouldn't it have been advantageous for the dominant South to split Texas into smaller states, thus getting even more of a stranglehold on the senate?
Probably, maybe that’s part of the compromise instead, slavery is allowed in the western territories and Texas in return for Texas being a single state? Though tbh I think that the OTL proposals to divide Texas were made by northerners on the main, may be wrong about that though...

Thanks!

The problem here is to assume that the same cultural, racial, and social system has been in place in this 1987. By this time, the Empire's structure had already been in place for many years, and the concept of the foreign "other" that would "invade" the UK does not exist. Settlement in the UK was allowed and common with no restrictions, and Imperial subjects do not have their own citizenship. These were and are British citizens who were granted the right to representation in the House of Commons. For nearly forty years Hong Kong was represented in the House of Lords prior to this. Given Ireland's expansive and broad Home Rule, the loss of representation in Westminster was not particularly troublesome.

Interesting, fair enough then.

Why can I only give this one like? It's not fair!

Here is a cute video with a kitten in it instead:

Also, I have several questions, but they all boil down to - WTF happened?

Last edited:
irRj2mh.png
Yet another steller map, i love how the us flag and even the government is very different it brings that added layer of unique to what many timelines keep the same. That said though I do have a couple questions firstly what on gods green earth happen to Australia. If those are native states, that seems weird given how easy the British steam rolled them otl (from what I know). Secondly did you miss label the us capital on this map or the populations density one or is that a recon.

I like how the nation called Australia only covers a third of the continent of Australia.:p
To be fair, countries like the United States of America and Saudi Arabia don't cover the entire regions they are named after in our timeline either.

Nice update Cosmicash. Good to see that colonialism was not as bad as OTL? Or just that more indigenous states survived/were revived after colonialism?