Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Sorry to bother you, but I have a question - is it still relevant to make mods for the Second Game of the series?
Yes. CK2 has basically all of the large mods, and CK3, like all PDX games at release, is going to take time and DLC before it's really fleshed out enough to stand on it's own merit and get a comparable modding scene.

Yes. CK2 has basically all of the large mods, and CK3, like all PDX games at release, is going to take time and DLC before it's really fleshed out enough to stand on it's own merit and get a comparable modding scene.
That, and CK2's probably going to keep a large fanbase for a while : I don't think every PDX gamer switches from the older number in the series to the new one immediately.
Plus, it's not like modders will not necessarilly want to try to see how much they could "break" CK2 before going to CK3.

Sorry to bother you, but I have a question - is it still relevant to make mods for the Second Game of the series?
At the moment I think CKII, with all its expansions and mods, is just a better game than CKIII. It’s just had so many years of work. Eventually CKIII will be better but it isn’t there yet.

I’m rather shocked by the lackluster post-launch support of CK3 so far. The only true new mechanic was an unfinished version of the Ruler Designer, which should have been there since launch, though it was thankfully free. Dev diaries are slow to come, and patches are even rarer. The game has been out for almost six (6!) months, with barely any new content or DLC roadmap.

I’m rather shocked by the lackluster post-launch support of CK3 so far. The only true new mechanic was an unfinished version of the Ruler Designer, which should have been there since launch, though it was thankfully free. Dev diaries are slow to come, and patches are even rarer. The game has been out for almost six (6!) months, with barely any new content or DLC roadmap.
Weirder still given all indications are that the launch of CK3 was very successful - for example, to be a bit contrary to Yorel here, most prominent CK2 mods (at least that were still being worked on at all) quickly jumped to CK3.

Guys. Covid.

Tell me again why it's weird that the company is moving more slowly when they're all working remotely and with greater difficulty than usual?

Is it possible for Eastern families to Westernise in CK II? I'm trying to think of a way to unlock the "British Raj" achievement and I am curious.

I've also been doing a lot of observer games as I am attempting a medieval alt history at the moment; so far I have the Third Crusade pretty much as it went in OTL, and no name for the timeline other than "segments," that is.

Also I have just downloaded Holy Fury.

I've been doing my own Komneniad. Alexios and Ioannes have done quite well at recapturing Anatolia and snagging parts of Italy and the Levant. Additionally, a Greco-Norman offshoot in the form of a de Hauteville bastard branch called the Gyiskardos dynasty has done quite well after Alexios granted them the Opsikion theme. They captured the Anatolikon and Paphlagonia.

ck2_18.png

ck2_20.png

ck2_21.png

ck2_23.png

And here is some of the Gyiskardos expansion within the empire. Their current head is married to Ioannes's sister.
Founder Konstantinos Gyiskardos (Constantine De Hauteville)
ck2_19.png

His son Tankredos (Tancred) who is married to Ioannes's sister and has a son with her named Voimoundos (Bohemond)
ck2_22.png

Decided to go back to playing a Shattered World game of CK2 I had started a while ago. I had stopped because I kinda got distracted by other games (notably CK3) but I felt the need to go back to it and finish it to give it a proper send-off... And also because I'm starting to wonder if I won't turn that into a Grand Campaign by using the save converter to continue in EU4 (even if I don't have all of the latter's DLC). Just for fun.

Anyway, suffered the Black Plague... And oh boy had I forgotten how crushingly penalising it can be if you're not prepared. My ruler was infected but he made it through thanks to his Physician, though his wife and his eldest daughter and heiress didn't make it. Also saw 2/3rd of my courtiers die: won't complain too much as I though the castle was a bit crowded, but holy hell it nearly feels empty now. Dynasty wise, I think there over 70 members that died during the plague: not a problem as I've had time to build a numerous dynasty but still pretty impressive. Also the economy kinda crashed down: never went into the negative (though I probably would have been in huge trouble had I not stopped reinforcing my retinues) but my income was down 90% I think.

But hey that's over and things are getting back on track. About to go crusading in Sweden. And I still have around 300 years left.

Playing as the Byzantines in the 769 start date targeting Ohrid for my first conquest while having one of my Councilors fabricate a claim on Thessaly [what is Byzantium without Greece?] once I have Greece should I begin targeting the Abbasid Caliphate or Italy next and attempt to achieve what even Justinian couldn't do ~ a Byzantine conquest of Gaul?

Playing as the Byzantines in the 769 start date targeting Ohrid for my first conquest while having one of my Councilors fabricate a claim on Thessaly [what is Byzantium without Greece?] once I have Greece should I begin targeting the Abbasid Caliphate or Italy next and attempt to achieve what even Justinian couldn't do ~ a Byzantine conquest of Gaul?
I find with a 769 start you can declare war for pretty much all of Greece on Day 1, and it can be advantageous for you to do so as you are going to be fighting all the pagans (including Bulgarians) anyway. Although I was lucky in capturing Telerig in May (he ceded Philippopolis for his freedom), I annexed Ohrid in April 770, evicted Vuk Grgurovic from Thessalia in May 771, conquered Epirus in April 772 and Achaia in June. I finished the overall re-conquest of Greece from the pagans with the fall of Avlonas to Christian forces in February 777. This can be a bit of a risky strategy depending on your success in battles, and does tend to lead to a civil war (between 774-776) in my case. However, you can replace the Serbs with loyal Greek vassals in Greece to offset disgruntled strategos in the east and the Catholics in the western periphery. This shouldn't be too awful if you have fought the pagans on your own territory or limited the power of hostile lords within the Empire. You shouldn't really need to be fabricating claims in Greece, in my opinion.

In my game I was RPing, and after an Iconoclast Terror under Michael I Lachanodrakon ended up converting to Catholicism and reinstalling a Greek Papacy in Rome. It makes a change from always going eastward. I would recommend that you RP as it gives you justification for decisions you make other than 'gaming' the system or simply knowing how to exploit the weaknesses in AI decision-making.

Sometimes I just love this game.

I just had a Greek Queen of Anatolia form the Latin Empire. Granted, it's a Shattered World mess, she's Catholic and married to a nephew of my French Emperor, but still!

Hey so I just make a dowload of the game two days ago , but....I dont know how to play lol, someone here knows some sort of tutorial to play the game ?, this should be very helpful for me.

Hey so I just make a dowload of the game two days ago , but....I dont know how to play lol, someone here knows some sort of tutorial to play the game ?, this should be very helpful for me.
That’s a wide question, it all depends on where you play and your own goals. Anyway a few tips for your first game:

-play somewhere in western Europe (less risk of being wiped out or dying of boredom, waiting for a neighboring blob to collapse). People call Ireland the tutorial island. The in-game tutorial set in Spain is also good. Personally, starting as the Normans (1066) in southern Italy or as the count of Anjou (1066) is a fun way to learn the game while climbing the ladder;

- start small, not only is more fun but its also the only way to learn most of the mechanics related to improving your status. Plus, it’s easier to manage few or no vassals at start. The only exception being if you are both small and independent (no protection);

- Knowing a bit about the character you are about to play as might help a bit but is not required. However, when starting a new game always check for your surrounding: does your character (or your wife) have a claim to an interesting place? Are you in line to inherit anything? If independent, how strong are your neighbours? If not try to have your liege like you;

-Increasing your power: money and soldiers come both from your land and your vassals. More from your own lands (since vassals likes to keep a fair share for themselves), but if you have lots of vassals that might still drastically increase your power. However, do keep in mind your own land is always loyal to you, your vassals (and the troops they provide you with) not so much. You either want to have them like you or alternatively control enough rich land and a big enough chest that they won’t dare to rebel. And if they do just crush them with your superior resources;

- So how to acquire more land? Well as a duke you might be entitled to land officially belonging to your duchy (check de-jure map mode) but ruled by someone not recognizing your authority. Teach that guy how to pay homage. This way you’ll gain a new vassal. You could also just simply have your chancellor fabricate a claim but that takes time and money (make sure you have a good chancellor). There is also a similar plot in the intrigue tab for that, but it's not always available. Marrying into the right family is usually the way: a duke with an unmarried daughter and very few sons? Don’t be shy and just propose to her, she can’t say no to you (literally she can’t, but her father could);

- Allies, the more the better. Marry a close relative of yours to one of your target. Strength in numbers to take down a mighty foe. Good also to neutralize a potential threat (non-aggression pact);

Those are the more general guidelines to play this game, for more specific questions just ask here and I am sure someone will answer that.

Having some sort of a running gag in that game I keep wanting to finish... Well, I say running gag but I'm don't really find it that funny...

My current Emperor, Thibault III, is rival with the current Pope, Leo IV. Don't really know the reason why. Anyway, this kinda sucked but I thought "meh, not going to be too much trouble".

And then Leo IV excommunicated Thibault III. This was the beginning of the insanity.

The first thing to note is that I absolutely don't know where this excommunication came from: aside from being a drunkard, Thibault III doesn't really have a negative trait. Hell, he might have five of the seven virtues! Not to mention I keep promoting Catholicism when I get the chance...

Still, since Excommunication can actually be pretty dangerous, I immediately issue a decleration of repentance. Pope Leo IV basically asked Emperor Thibault III to humiliate himself before him, and that's what I did. Felt unhappy but I thought the case was closed.

Until a few months later, when Thibault III gets excommunicated again. And this time, when I issue a declaration of repentence, Leo IV ask for abdication... Fuck that.

Now this pissed me so much that I basically declared War on the Pope for Spoleto, which was his last possession in Italy... Never actually warred with him before, but my vassals were more than happy to go after the counties that make the Papal State. And given how many troops I could raise, Pope or Not, Leo IV got his ass kicked something fierce and lost the last of his lands.

Naturally, after that I didn't really expect my excommunication to be lifted easily. Everytime I issued a declaration of independance, Leo IV would simply ask for Thibault III to abdicate because "his sins are too many"... Which makes me furious because the only flaw my character has is being a dunkard. Not to mention that he's the member of a monastic society and keeps donating money when asked for... Hell, I've also built and improved hospitals!

The worst part though? I managed to lift Thibault III's excommunication TWICE after that part. The first after I managed to get Leo IV to ask for Thibault III to humiliate himself rather than abdicate the throne... The second after I agreed to help the conversion of a pagan ruler. But what happened? A few weeks later, Thibault III was excommunicated yet again!

What makes this incredibly funny is that this excommunication hasn't impacted me negatively in the slightest... Probably has to with the fact I'm bloody powerful militarily, but as far as I've checked Thibault III is also extremly popular with the people around him: I rarely see people with a negative opinion about him. So it really feels as if Leo IV excommunicated him for petty reasons... Hell, even the abdication arguably wouldn't be a problem since I have adult sons to take my successions. But I'm just too stubborn to accept Thibault III renouncing his birthright.

The kicker? At one point Pope Leo IV managed to get the Emperor of Kanem-Bornu (who was Catholic despite Kanem-Bornu having converted to Orthodoxy for a while...) to attack me in a bid to restore the Papal States. And what happened? The fucking Knights Templars and Knights of Malta joined Thibault III's cause because they felt it was "righteous"! The pope sucks so much even his very own Holy Orders go against him!

Anyway, at the rate this is going, I'm expecting two things to happen... Either Emperor Thibault III is going to die (he's now in his 50s) while still being excommunicated or once Pope Leo IV kicks the buckett (dude is 73 right now and doens't look like he wants to die), the next Pope isn't going to give me that much trouble lifting Thibault III's excommunication if he asks...

On one hand I want to laugh because my character is excommunicated simply for the reason the pope doesn't like his face, but on the other I find that incredibly unfair and so does the rest of the world in-game...

Having some sort of a running gag in that game I keep wanting to finish... Well, I say running gag but I'm don't really find it that funny...

My current Emperor, Thibault III, is rival with the current Pope, Leo IV. Don't really know the reason why. Anyway, this kinda sucked but I thought "meh, not going to be too much trouble".

And then Leo IV excommunicated Thibault III. This was the beginning of the insanity.

The first thing to note is that I absolutely don't know where this excommunication came from: aside from being a drunkard, Thibault III doesn't really have a negative trait. Hell, he might have five of the seven virtues! Not to mention I keep promoting Catholicism when I get the chance...

Still, since Excommunication can actually be pretty dangerous, I immediately issue a decleration of repentance. Pope Leo IV basically asked Emperor Thibault III to humiliate himself before him, and that's what I did. Felt unhappy but I thought the case was closed.

Until a few months later, when Thibault III gets excommunicated again. And this time, when I issue a declaration of repentence, Leo IV ask for abdication... Fuck that.

Now this pissed me so much that I basically declared War on the Pope for Spoleto, which was his last possession in Italy... Never actually warred with him before, but my vassals were more than happy to go after the counties that make the Papal State. And given how many troops I could raise, Pope or Not, Leo IV got his ass kicked something fierce and lost the last of his lands.

Naturally, after that I didn't really expect my excommunication to be lifted easily. Everytime I issued a declaration of independance, Leo IV would simply ask for Thibault III to abdicate because "his sins are too many"... Which makes me furious because the only flaw my character has is being a dunkard. Not to mention that he's the member of a monastic society and keeps donating money when asked for... Hell, I've also built and improved hospitals!

The worst part though? I managed to lift Thibault III's excommunication TWICE after that part. The first after I managed to get Leo IV to ask for Thibault III to humiliate himself rather than abdicate the throne... The second after I agreed to help the conversion of a pagan ruler. But what happened? A few weeks later, Thibault III was excommunicated yet again!

What makes this incredibly funny is that this excommunication hasn't impacted me negatively in the slightest... Probably has to with the fact I'm bloody powerful militarily, but as far as I've checked Thibault III is also extremly popular with the people around him: I rarely see people with a negative opinion about him. So it really feels as if Leo IV excommunicated him for petty reasons... Hell, even the abdication arguably wouldn't be a problem since I have adult sons to take my successions. But I'm just too stubborn to accept Thibault III renouncing his birthright.

The kicker? At one point Pope Leo IV managed to get the Emperor of Kanem-Bornu (who was Catholic despite Kanem-Bornu having converted to Orthodoxy for a while...) to attack me in a bid to restore the Papal States. And what happened? The fucking Knights Templars and Knights of Malta joined Thibault III's cause because they felt it was "righteous"! The pope sucks so much even his very own Holy Orders go against him!

Anyway, at the rate this is going, I'm expecting two things to happen... Either Emperor Thibault III is going to die (he's now in his 50s) while still being excommunicated or once Pope Leo IV kicks the buckett (dude is 73 right now and doens't look like he wants to die), the next Pope isn't going to give me that much trouble lifting Thibault III's excommunication if he asks...

On one hand I want to laugh because my character is excommunicated simply for the reason the pope doesn't like his face, but on the other I find that incredibly unfair and so does the rest of the world in-game...
CK2 Papal Excommunications have been incredibly insane for the past several years, Popes focusing on tanking Catholic MA by going after every Catholic Ruler they can get their hands on.

CK3 is apparently more reasonable. It happens. But not all the time, and not to everyone with a crown.