Mario Goes Hollywood: A Collaborative Timeline

The problem is with mary barrows. Like, i fleshed out all the other characters, and turned Scissorman into more of a tragic villain, but mary...it's like i have no idea about her. With all the other characters being deeply flawed, but you still end up feeling sympathetic for them when shit hits them, mary still remains rather villainous. sure, she is the villain, after all, and obviously, the fact she's the villain will be revealed in a more subtle way, but is there anything else i can add to her character that can add more depth? Or her staying the manipulative villain can actually work.
I say keep the manipulation aspect in as the caring woman she appears to be to the girls has some weight on her psyche. Throughout the movie, we can see her being a mother and having both remorse to sacrifice them.

I say keep the manipulation aspect in as the caring woman she appears to be to the girls has some weight on her psyche. Throughout the movie, we can see her being a mother and having both remorse to sacrifice them.

Yeah, i can see it working. Since most moviegoers don't play video games, and those that were gamers probably never heard of clock tower (i'm speaking generally, not to hardcore gamers. And even then, hardcore gamers of that time period would've only heard of the PS1 game, since the original was never released in the west...which leads to another question: how the hell did whoever pitched the idea of the clock tower movie gained knowledge of the original pre-modern internet? But that's another story.), so to see this seemingly caring and nice woman revealed to actually be the villain would shock them, especially with good acting (though good direction is just as important, if not more, than simply good acting, and can bring good performances out of average actors, but that's an opinion.).

Last edited:
When I meant weight, I meant that she could have second thoughts about killing the girls throughout the movie.
Ah ok. Yeah, that makes for a good dilemma. Like, she wants to have a daughter, so her actually being a mother for once makes her feel weird and nice. Then, she begins her killings as a way to find which of the girls would make for the perfect representation of the ideal daughter in her mind (which, naturally, ends up with jennifer at the end.) Maybe the frustration of simon not producing her a daughter is what motivates her to be abusive towards him, while her abuse of scissorman/bobby and her removing the fetus that jennifer finds a la PT would be motivated partly by that and the fact that scissorman is ugly as hell?

Last edited:
When I meant weight, I meant that she could have second thoughts about killing the girls throughout the movie.
Ah ok. Yeah, that makes for a good dilemma. Like, she wants to have a daughter, so her actually being a mother for once makes her feel weird and nice. Then, she begins her killings as a way to find which of the girls would make for the perfect representation of the ideal daughter in her mind (which, naturally, ends up with jennifer at the end.) Maybe the frustration of simon not producing her a daughter is what motivates her to be abusive towards him, while her abuse of scissorman/bobby and her removing the fetus that jennifer finds a la PT would be motivated partly by that and the fact that scissorman is ugly as hell?
Wait, i have a better idea. I've just read on the wiki about the baby, Dan. Now, i wanna keep the whole "jennifer finds the fetus PT Style" scene, but...what if, instead of Dan being male, it is female instead? Like, i dunno if you played the witcher 3, but the first arc of that game is about the bloody baron and his toxic relationship with his wife. At one point, the baron came back home drunk and they started to fight, which became physical. At one point, the baron hits his wife on the stomach, which led to the fetus (she was pregnant with their second child) being dead on the bed, which sends the baron into depression and makes his wife go mad and leave the fort with their firstborn daughter.

You can have a similar event happen to mary and simon, with the daughter she always wanted being stillborn following an altercation with simon, which would be the turning point in their relationship, the main selling point for the audience to sympathize with the villain and making mary go mad, prompting her to lock up simon in the cell and torture him and starving him to death and treating bobby like crap and turning him into Scissorman. The whole story (and, by extension, the explanation for the fetus jennifer finds) will be revealed by simon/mark hamill when he does his hannibal lecter-style monologue on the "cradle under the stars" to jennifer.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Which leads to another question: how the hell did whoever pitched the idea of the clock tower movie gained knowledge of the original pre-modern internet? But that's another story.)

Well I've got an idea of how the original Clock Tower could've been adapted in film. Pretty much the person who went over to make the whole deal would grab the games while there (Clock Tower 2/Clock Tower, Ghost Head/2: Struggle Within) But he'd see/finds First Fear, which he's never seen before, so he checks it and while he originally intended to adapt the "First" Game, finding (Even if he can't read it) The prequel leads to the whole film going from a Clock Tower 2 (Because you think they'd do Ghost Head first?) Adaption to the original "First Fear", possibly dealing pre-/production. Maybe it's not the best or perfect explanation of a somewhat flawed and weird way of why the original Japan only game gets the movie treatment since the original script can be used as the sequel anyways.

Sorry for the unexpected break into this, but I have been lurking with this timeline for over a year now and with this question coming shortly after I'm hopping back onto the Clock Tower train after a Cry of Fear phase, I kinda was morally complied to throw my hat for this question. (Also as a few bonus aside's 1. The entire original game discovery was inspired by the origin of the infamous Diesel Comic where it's author found a Fan Sub version of the JoJo 1993 OVA, fell in love with it which led to an attempt to translate the Manga, where he made his own version after the deal failed. 2. Was that before finding this timeline I was having a handful of thoughts of what I'd do for a Clock Tower: First Fear Remake, using some of that said Cry of Fear influence. So it's a somewhat perfect timing and coincidence to see this, however I'll probably let you do your magic largely free of my od murmurings *Albeit I kinda low-key want to do a Ghost Head movie*)

Last edited:
Well I've got an idea of how the original Clock Tower could've been adapted in film. Pretty much the person who went over to make the whole deal would grab the games while there (Clock Tower 2/Clock Tower, Ghost Head/2: Struggle Within) But he'd see/finds First Fear, which he's never seen before, so he checks it and while he originally intended to adapt the "First" Game, finding (Even if he can't read it) The prequel leads to the whole film going from a Clock Tower 2 (Because you think they'd do Ghost Head first?) Adaption to the original "First Fear", possibly dealing pre-/production. Maybe it's not the best or perfect explanation of a somewhat flawed and weird way of why the original Japan only game gets the movie treatment since the original script can be used as the sequel anyways.

Sorry for the unexpected break into this, but I have been lurking with this timeline for over a year now and with this question coming shortly after I'm hopping back onto the Clock Tower train after a Cry of Fear phase, I kinda was morally complied to throw my hat for this question. (Also as a few bonus aside's 1. The entire original game discovery was inspired by the origin of the infamous Diesel Comic where it's author found a Fan Sub version of the JoJo 1993 OVA, fell in love with it which led to an attempt to translate the Manga, where he made his own version after the deal failed. 2. Was that before finding this timeline I was having a handful of thoughts of what I'd do for a Clock Tower: First Fear Remake, using some of that said Cry of Fear influence. So it's a somewhat perfect timing and coincidence to see this, however I'll probably let you do your magic largely free of my od murmurings *Albeit I kinda low-key want to do a Ghost Head movie*)
Well in this timeline, Capcom (who are distributing and publishing the next game) owns Marvel Entertainment. At this point, as a tie-in after the movie comes out, that manga adaption could get a print run along with its dvd release.

Dude, i heard about the diesel comic, but i never could've imagined it was THAT much of a jojo rip-off! They even have a whitewashed N'Doul, FFS!

Anyways, welcome aboard! I never played cry of fear, i only wrote the story based on my tastes and the games and movies i saw.

Alright, so we fleshened out anna, charlotte and laura, and we finally ironed out our villain Mary and simon barrows's story as well as scissorman and the (now female) baby, whom i'll name Danielle (because dan is a diminuitive and daniel has a female version).

Now, the only thing left is our protagonist herself: Jennifer, played by Anne Hathaway.

Last edited:
Dude, i heard about the diesel comic, but i never could've imagined it was THAT much of a jojo rip-off! They even have a whitewashed N'Doul, FFS!

Anyways, welcome aboard! I never played cry of fear, i only wrote the story based on my tastes and the games and movies i saw.

Alright, so we fleshened out anna, charlotte and laura, and we finally ironed out our villain Mary and simon barrows's story as well as scissorman and the (now female) baby, whom i'll name Danielle (because dan is a diminuitive and daniel has a female version).

Now, the only thing left is our protagonist herself: Jennifer, played by Anne Hathaway.
Well for the first two games, Jen's story was one of watching a person be pulled into the abyss and surviving it. If this does well enough for a sequel, could it be about Jen coming to terms wti what happened and finding happiness?

Well for the first two games, Jen's story was one of watching a person be pulled into the abyss and surviving it. If this does well enough for a sequel, could it be about Jen coming to terms wti what happened and finding happiness?
Yeah, in that regard, there's enough stuff in jen's story that we can leave it as it is. Though i don't really like the idea of this having a sequel...probably because i don't write stuff with sequels in mind.

Could we possibly see a Crash-Bandicoot movie once that comes around?
I think we already did have a crash bandicoot movie? I don't really remember.

Last edited:
Hey, i checked anne hathaway on wikipedia, and i saw that princess diaries was her first movie role...the movie was released in august...unless that film was shot before clock tower began production, could this mean that clock tower would be among her first roles? Damn, i kinda feel bad giving such a movie and script to inexperienced actors LOL :oops: sure, they have mark hamill and nancy allen and an experienced director in de palma to guide them, and we only have $15 million in the budget, but still...

Anyways, currently writing down all the notes we came up with for the movie.

Last edited:
Hey, i checked anne hathaway on wikipedia, and i saw that princess diaries was her first movie role...the movie was released in august...unless that film was shot before clock tower began production, could this mean that clock tower would be among her first roles? Damn, i kinda feel bad giving such a movie and script to inexperienced actors LOL :oops: sure, they have mark hamill and nancy allen and an experienced director in de palma to guide them, and we only have $15 million in the budget, but still...

Anyways, currently writing down all the notes we came up with for the movie.
When I suggested Anne, it was done with mentality that clocktower's shooting would be done either before or after September 2000. That was when the shooting for the princess diaries began. Also, Disney hired the younger members of the cast solely on their first audition. So for this movie, Anne Hathaway had a really good audition that De Palma wanted no one else to play Jen.

Well in this timeline, Capcom (who are distributing and publishing the next game) owns Marvel Entertainment. At this point, as a tie-in after the movie comes out, that manga adaption could get a print run along with its dvd release.

Yeah, that's a fairly apt alternative to finding the original game. On the down side it looks like there was only 3 8 page ones, a 'prequel' that shows the girls arriving, then Anne and Laura's death to conclude more or less. The other one's a bit with Jennifer saving a Crow before being attacked by Bobby, with the crow attacking him and then closing off with Mary poisoning? Jennifer. The third's for Ghost Head, so it could still pique interest for someone doing some research on the source material, especially since the first two are packed with First Fear on PSX. However they can't really use it for marketing considering the story changes and spoilers. But do agree that they'd make fun bonus content on DVD and maybe they can make a new comic/manga adaption more in line with the movie.

Yeah, it's an absolutely wild that story, kinda makes me go like "If some rando at a minor comic company can accidentally find a 1993 OVA Fan Sub and make his own knock off in 1997, I'm quite sure that while a big studio is looking at source material for there adaption can find the first game in 2001" Part of my sick mind kind of wish there where more issues of it to just see how bad it could've gotten, especially after Not-Stardust Crusaders.

Well thank you all, I'm not entirely an expert on a lot of Hollywood machinations so I'll largely keep to a support/story role likely. Cry of Fear is an interesting Silent Hill inspired game, especially in it's soundtrack. Very much understandable, I largely was commentating on how we where looking at Clock Tower through a similar SH Inspired POV.

Yeah, Anne's got some big shoes to fill into this role, but if De Palma's confident then she'll probably be able.

Yeah, in that regard, there's enough stuff in jen's story that we can leave it as it is. Though i don't really like the idea of this having a sequel...probably because i don't write stuff with sequels in mind.

Either way, Clock Tower 2 will have to through some rewrites at the least with Dan being butterflied In This Movie's Timeline/ITMTL. Maybe we can do what Halloween failed in 1982, creating a horror anthology series since that's what happened with Clock Tower OTL post Clock Tower 2 anyways.

Alright, so i gathered all the ideas that i came up with for the clock tower movie, so that i can get a clear view of the whole picture:

Clock Tower Movie

Characters

PROTAGONIST
Jennifer Simpson
Played by Anne Hathaway

Description mainly taken from the Wiki

Jennifer is an orphan who grew up without parents for most of her life. She had to cope with the loss of both of her parents throughout her childhood and the lack of normal guidance that parents provide for their children, forcing her to become more independent than usual.

Generally, Jennifer is polite and open-minded. She is also kind and is seen taking time out of her schedule to visit her friends out of kindness. However, she is also somewhat sheltered, innocent, timid and naive. It is unknown if this comes naturally or if Jennifer's quietness is a result of a lack of parental attention. She has particular interest in vintage photography and paintings.

Throughout the movie, she witnesses the dark side of her friends and the harsh realities of human nature as well as how cruel the world can be. This is her loss of innocence, pretty much.

SUPPORTING CAST

Charlotte
Played by: Lacey Chabert
The tomboy of the group. Doesn't like feminine things, and is frequently mocked for it. She is the voice of reason, and survives the longest due to her street smarts and and staying close to jennifer, whom she has the most affinity with. Later reveals to jen her frustrations at not being able to be herself, and her history of being bullied and being called a butch due to her aversion towards anything feminine, which led to her beating her bully to death in a fit of blind rage and subsequently fleeing to the orphanage, thinking she is a monster.

Anna
Played by: Sophia Bush
The leader of the group. Confident, headstrong, she appears fearless and charismatic, and laura idolises her. However, her alpha female tendencies unintentionally leads to laura's death and gradually alienates Jen and Charlotte from her, which eventually leaves her all alone, forced to contemplate her true self, an insecure, narcissistic coward.

Laura
Played by: Anna Paquin
Elegant girl. Has a senpai-kouhai relationship with Anna, which the latter uses to her advantage. She tries really hard to please everyone, especially Anna. Eventually, she snaps after an ungrateful and derogatory remark from her, telling her that she never bothered to thank her for everything she had done for her and the girls, and she leaves, never to be found again...that is, until the girls find her dead, hanging in the showers.

ANTAGONISTS

Mary Barrows
Played by Nancy Allen

Appearing as a sweet, caring woman, mary adopts the girls for her and her husband, Simon. In reality, she chose them specifically because she considers them the best candidate for her ideal daughter. That is because of her miscarriage following an altercation with his husband, which drove her mad. She uses her son, bobby, to kill whoever she consoders unworthy of being her daughter until only one remains. Is shown to hesitate to kill them, however, as acting like a caring mother brings her strange feelings of hapiness.

Scissorman

The mysterious and hideous young boy who randomly appears to attack the girls with a giant pair of scissors. Is later revealed to be Bobby Barrows, mary and simon's son, who was born hideously deformed a la Quasimodo from Hunchback of Notre-dame. He kills out of jealousy over his mother's perceived bias towards the girls, which is further enhanced by mary's years of venting her frustration and anger at miscarrying a daughter on him.

OTHER CHARACTERS

Simon Barrows
Played by: Mark Hamill

The reigning patriarch of the barrows family. A rich aristocrat. He and his wife mary are mutually abusive towards one another. It all culminated in a violent fight where simon caused mary to miscary their second child, their daughter. This drove mary mad, and she imprisoned him in the castle's dungeon, where she tortured him and left him to starve to death. He became a cannibal out of starvation. When jennifer finds him, he delivers a chilling, yet melancholical speech detailing his life and the "cradle under the stars", and also tells jen of a curse befallen on the barrows name after Theodore Barrows, the first lord of the house, Snitched and captured Joan of Arc during the hundred years war. As Joan burned at the stake, she cursed the name Barrows, among others, To eternal misery and pain.

Danielle Barrows
The stillborn daughter of Mary and Simon. Jennifer finds the fetus in a scene similar to the Fetus scene in PT.

Alright, everything seems in order. Anything i'm missing? Is there any idea, scene, story beat or shots/camera angles that comes to mind?