Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date
Since JRR Tolkien exists in TL 191 (Flora Hamburger remembers reading the Hobbit to Joshua, which was likely published earlier than OTL), I imagine that illustrations (and any films) of the Akallabeth would show the aged Ar Pharazon as resembling Winston Churchill, and the depictions of Sauron/Zigur/Thu in Numenor would tend to the side of tall, rawboned and rangy ...

Tolkien mentioned his dislike of allegory, but he did write often with an eye to applicability.

And as for any art showing aged Elendil going to Elostirion (the highest of the Towers in the Tower Hills) to gaze upon Tol Eressea via the Palantir there, Elendil there would probably bear a resemblance to Tolkien in his old age (I don't imagine Tolkien would stay around very much in Actionist Britain. If nothing else, he beliefs would probably lose him his professorship at Oxford). *sniff*

PNWKing

Banned
Collapse sounds interesting for the sense that why do I imagine that German or whatnot internet (or whatever the TTL equivalent) posters would post memes of "Featherston Rants".

One thing that would certainly different here is how different cultures consider taboo thanks to the events that unfolded in TL-191.

For one thing, Joking about Superbombs would certainly viewed as a Taboo subject in the West, much how jokes about Nukes are viewed in Japan.

One thing that would certainly different here is how different cultures consider taboo thanks to the events that unfolded in TL-191.

For one thing, Joking about Superbombs would certainly viewed as a Taboo subject in the West, much how jokes about Nukes are viewed in Japan.
And also jokes about the Holocaust, so I guess there will be no TL-191 equivalent of Southpark.

Ohhhhhhh nooooo what a horrible thing.

And also jokes about the Holocaust, so I guess there will be no TL-191 equivalent of Southpark.

Ohhhhhhh nooooo what a horrible thing.

If there is, it wouldn't be made in North America.

Maybe some European country creates it. (Sort of like a German-version of South Park, since there is no socio-cultural stigma associated with genocide)

If there is, it wouldn't be made in North America.

Maybe some European country creates it. (Sort of like a German-version of South Park, since there is no socio-cultural stigma associated with genocide)
In the case of a German South Park, what could it's ITTL be and would could be it's characters?

Lately I've been wondering a lot about the closing scene from the Planet of the Apes, in which Charlton Heston's character, US Astronaut George Taylor, stumbles across the remains of the Statue of Liberty protruding from an ancient cliff face.

Now, in the 191 timeline would George Taylor be a US Astronaut, or would be a CS Astronaut? Also, would the ruined monument he discovers be the Statue of Remembrance, or would the people living in the 191 version of Planet of the Apes have changed it into something else during the period of time following the defeat of Jake Featherston, and the fall of their own human civilization?

I think that the scene would go pretty much the same as it did in our timeline, but with some minor differences. The sword being held aloft by the Statue of Remembrance would have its tip broken off for dramatic effect, the statue's face would have dirt streaks to make it appear as though the statue were crying, there would be a wrecked ocean freighter off somewhere in the background, and Astronaut George Taylor would be laying his left side has he pummels the sand with his fist, instead of on his right side as in Planet of the Apes from our timeline.

Additionally, I think that Taylor's closing monologue would go something like this: "You fools! You finally went and did it! You blew the whole damned thing up! Now who is left to remember all the sacrifices that were made?"

(fixed typo)

Last edited:
Lately I've been wondering a lot about the closing scene from the Planet of the Apes, in which Charlton Heston's character, US Astronaut George Taylor, stumbles across the remains of the Statue of Liberty protruding from an ancient cliff face.

Now, in the 191 timeline would George Taylor be a US Astronaut, or would be a CS Astronaut? Also, would the ruined monument he discovers be the Statue of Remembrance, or would the people living in the 191 version of Planet of the Apes have changed it into something else during the period of time following the defeat of Jake Featherston, and the fall of their own human civilization?

I think that the scene would go pretty much the same as it did in our timeline, but with some minor differences. The sword being held aloft by the Statue of Remembrance would have its tip broken off for dramatic effect, the statue's face would have dirt streaks to make it appear as though the statue were crying, there would be a wrecked ocean freighter off somewhere in the background, and Astronaut George Taylor would be laying his left side has he pummels the sand with his fist, instead of on his right side as in Planet of the Apes from our timeline.

Additionally, I think that Taylor's closing monologue would go something like this: "You fools! You finally went and did it! You blew the whole damned thing up! Now who is left to remember all the sacrifices that were made?"

(fixed typo)
Taylor would certainly still be an American Astronaut in TL-191.

Antebellum: Legacy of the Great War

A popular mod for the RTS video game Hearts of Iron IV, Antebellum: Legacy of the Great War is one of the more popular alternate history mods made for the game which was first released in 2018, featuring a whole new world based on the premise of the idea of the Entente Winning the First Great War. Following the victory of the Entente Alliance, a so-called Treaty of Versailles would be signed in 1918 which would result in the world stage being radically changed. With it's signing, the Entente would break the Austro-Hungarian, Ottoman, and German Empires, thus forming new nations from them, or as in the case of the former Ottoman Possessions, would make them their new colonies. In the early 1920s, the instability brought on by both the war and the post-war concessions brought down upon the vanquished Quadruple Powers nations would provide grounds for which new radical ideologies such as Syndicalism and National-Populism to gain followers. In the United States, the Syndicalists would launch a successful revolution which would end sparking the Second American Civil War which would end in the Syndicalist Forces winning and forming the new United Syndicalist States of America. Likewise in Germany, the local syndicalist factions would too rise up in 1925 and would overthrow the already badly damaged Hohenzollern Dynasty, thus creating their own Syndicalist State. In the Asiatic Region of the World, a new Great Game is unfolding between the British and the Japanese Empire for their struggle over the fate of the region. The mod would start out in 1936 as the player can choose several different nations such as the CSA, British Empire, Third Republic of France, the Russian Empire, the USSA, Union of Germany, the Pacific States of America (which is an anti-Syndicalist faction based of the former USA on the west coast.

Now for me to brainstorm the TL 191 counterparts to the Call of Duty Games:

World at War
Call of Duty World at War was the 5th entry in the popular Call of Duty series. The game takes place through the POV of two soldiers in the Second Great War. The first is Pioner Müller and a squadron in the Imperial German Army fighting in Eastern Europe against the Russian Empire (A significant departure from the usual focus on the western front against France and Britain). On the other end is Private David Peters on the American Front, who teams up with Sergeant Victor Ryans after meeting him in Pittsburgh and later taking the fight to the Freedomites in the siege of Atlanta in brutal urban warfare. There is also one mission where the player takes the reigns of an Imperial German air force gunner named Loewe fighting the British Navy in the north sea.

Also notable is the bonus mode "Freedomite Zombies," which is set in a side story involving a battle for survival against Freedomite Zombies where 4 players can play as a gung-ho American soldier, an Alcoholic German soldier, a Russian officer, and a mad Confederate scientist.

This does make me wonder two things:
1. What would the TL 191 version of Godzilla be like? I imagine it would be made in a country other than Japan seeing as Japan was one of the only countries to not have been hit by a superbomb during the SGW. This makes me wonder which country would make it and how it would be made differently in said country. For example, it would probably have some difference in ideas if made in a country like Germany or America compared to Britain.
2. What would the film industry in Japan be like after the SGW?

This does make me wonder two things:
1. What would the TL 191 version of Godzilla be like? I imagine it would be made in a country other than Japan seeing as Japan was one of the only countries to not have been hit by a superbomb during the SGW. This makes me wonder which country would make it and how it would be made differently in said country. For example, it would probably have some difference in ideas if made in a country like Germany or America compared to Britain.
2. What would the film industry in Japan be like after the SGW?
A lot of TL-191 fan works tend to have Britain become the stand-in for post-War Japan, so seems like a reasonable bet post-War British media might take on a distinct anti-nuclear message, monsters included.

As for Japanese media, probably a lot of propagandic war movies about how they freed Asia from European colonisation and the importance of Pan-Asian unity (with Japan at the helm, of course)

This question may be a more general TL 191 question, but I thought it would be fitting to put it here: What would Jake Featherston's reputation be like (outside of North America) compared to Hitler in OTL?

I ask this because in our timeline, Hitler basically put the west in an identity crisis with his brutality and completely changed the way people thought about things like racism in the west. But would Featherston really have as much of an impact ITTLs pop-culture as Hitler in OTL? I get the feeling that countries like Germany would still be appalled by the Population Reduction, but view as a more localized event due to it being focused on the Confederacy itself.

My point is, would Featherston have the same impact as Hitler outside of North America? Because I'm sure that he will definitely have the same impact on the US as Hitler did IOTL, but I'm more curious about the rest of the world.

I think that due to the fact that Featherston was more a "local" problem , separated from the European theater, mean that he might be less well known world-wide.