Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I ask that someone elaborate on the inability to get ammunition and fuel forward to the British troops? Was it that there was none to send? That they had it, but chose not to send it? That there were no facilities to receive it in the port? Or no trucks (or horses) to bring it forward? Many thanks in advance for the clarification.....
here is were is were i would have gotten your answers http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-E-Logistics1/index.html

There will be far more confidence of beating off an invasion; more troops have equipment, and the British infantry tanks only lost because they ran out of ammunition and fuel (certainly the story the crews will tell!)
So there wont be the panzer fear element.

May I ask that someone elaborate on the inability to get ammunition and fuel forward to the British troops? Was it that there was none to send? That they had it, but chose not to send it? That there were no facilities to receive it in the port? Or no trucks (or horses) to bring it forward? Many thanks in advance for the clarification.....
There were no end of problems, the main one already mentioned by @Peg Leg Pom is that the main supply dumps for the BEF are on the other side of the Seine. The rest of what they took with them to the Dyle line and then back have been burned through due all the fighting. The focus was on evacuation not reinforcement, so unloading ships before filling them with men would have been seen as a waste of time. The main part of the evacuation was towards the sea, there weren't that many stores at the coast but going against the flow of traffic would probably have been difficult. Generally the men fought literally to the last bullet before being brought off the line and head for the mole or beaches.

Here is part of the official history:
At British General Headquarters in La Panne there was an almost continuous exchange of messages with England. Someone was almost always on the telephone to the War Office, explaining the situation in France or receiving information or instructions from England. A few minutes after midnight on the 29th/30th May the War Office were told that the perimeter could not be held for long and asked that as many boats as possible should be sent over quickly, for enemy action had died away with nightfall and was not causing trouble during hours of darkness.[15] And more ammunition for Bofors guns to deal with aircraft by day was urgently needed.

Four hours later the War Office replied that the Vice-Admiral Dover would get as many small craft as possible across and that an ammunition barge was ready to sail and would be directed to La Panne. It would be followed the next day by other barges containing approximately 75 tons each in the proportion of one-third food, one-third water and one-third ammunition in each barge.
HyperWar: The War in France and Flanders 1939–1940 [Chapter XV] (ibiblio.org)

But they were cut-off "in a port".

If ships have freedom of movement to come in to that port in order to pick up soldiers to bring them back to England, why could they not also have brought in ammunition, fuel, food for those trying to hold the perimeter?
Can I suggest you read that chapter I mentioned, and the ones around it, to see that it really wasn't that easy.
Allan

Calais fell on 26 May OTL, so three extra days ITTL means that the short navigation route would have been open for much longer, which would probably mean the RN suffered fewer casualties to its destroyer forces due to having them exposed for a shorter time and stronger air cover from the RAF due to better coverage from the Chain Home radars.

10th Panzer is probably completely wrecked from the Siege of Calais as well, even worse than OTL.

Edit: Also, what happend to 51st Highland this time around? Were they part of the extra 50K troops evacuated?

Last edited:
... I am eagerly awaiting the In-Universe Book/Film about "The Three Valiants of France", by the way.
Neatly glossing over the fact they shouldn't have been there, portraying the episode as a flawlessly executed plan to capture the latest German equipment. All in the finest tradition of the Boy's Own Paper.

Last edited:
Not only will the British be more confident, but the Germans will be more wary. After all, they lost a good portion of a panzer division attacking a town defended by a few thousand men and tank battalion. When Hitler asks when they can invade Britain, the Here is probably going to say they probably can't, not with any hope of success.

Nice update, good to see the British kit only getting spiked and scuppered after they've run out of supply and not due to hasty retreat. All in all a good showing from His Majesty's Royal Kraut Punchers!
... I am eagerly awaiting the In-Universe Book/Film about "The Three Valiants of France", by the way.
'The exploits of tanks "Tom, Dick, and Harry" would feature in a fictionalized account by Japanese comic book artist Go Nagai in his story of the same name, published in 1978. The artist would mention in interview how much the story of "prototype vehicles sent to the front lines to prove themselves" appealed to him. An animated adaptation was released on video in 1988.'
- excerpt from Wikipedia article 'Vickers Valiant Tank'

I wonder, were British vehicles destroyed in a more thorough manner ITTL? I don't know how common were captured British vehicles used in combat but maybe they would be even rarer here.

I wonder, were British vehicles destroyed in a more thorough manner ITTL? I don't know how common were captured British vehicles used in combat but maybe they would be even rarer here.
After the Battle of France, some A-13s were captured intact and used as command tanks, and some A-11s might have been used for internal security in Poland, but that's it as far as I'm aware.

My apologies @alanpcameron. I had tried to delete my post after reading your reply (in order to avoid the obvious embarrassment).

I clearly was too slow.

Of note, the link you provided was wonderful. Many thanks for your time in replying. The level of knowledge you guys clearly own, is quite spectacular.

Last edited:
Over the days that followed the British and French rear-guard troops held off repeated attacks, while the evacuation carried on apace from the beaches and the mole. As far as possible the British troops carried their personal weapons as they evacuated. Some of the units which were in better shape also managed to take some of their heavier support weapons, but most heavy machine guns, mortars, anti-tank guns, and almost all ammunition, were left with the rear-guard to strengthen their positions.
This is going to be important. The holding of Calais for an extra three days has basically allowed the BEF units to maintain far more unit cohesion than OTL. This is going to have an effect on morale back home, as the people back home will be seeing the troops get off the trains with their personal weapons intact.

Sure, the heavy weapons for the most part had to be left behind, but the civilian population didn't see that sort of thing all that often anyway. What they'll see is that the Army getting off the trains with their SMLE rifles and Bren light machineguns, evacuated from the Continent still ready to defend their homes.

The stories and propaganda, with the display of captured German tanks and other equipment will be pushed hard to establish that the narrative that the BEF was let down by the collapse of the Belgians and the French. The stories about Arras, the fighting around St Omer and the Siege of Calais, where the 30th Infantry Brigade and the 8th RTR fought a German Panzer Division to a standstill and fighting until they ran out of fuel and ammunition will be used to shore up morale back home in way that wasn't possible in OTL.

I think the attitude on the home front will be less invasion panic and more, Britain alone against the Continent. Again.

This is going to be important. The holding of Calais for an extra three days has basically allowed the BEF units to maintain far more unit cohesion than OTL. This is going to have an effect on morale back home, as the people back home will be seeing the troops get off the trains with their personal weapons intact.

Sure, the heavy weapons for the most part had to be left behind, but the civilian population didn't see that sort of thing all that often anyway. What they'll see is that the Army getting off the trains with their SMLE rifles and Bren light machineguns, evacuated from the Continent still ready to defend their homes.

The stories and propaganda, with the display of captured German tanks and other equipment will be pushed hard to establish that the narrative that the BEF was let down by the collapse of the Belgians and the French. The stories about Arras, the fighting around St Omer and the Siege of Calais, where the 30th Infantry Brigade and the 8th RTR fought a German Panzer Division to a standstill and fighting until they ran out of fuel and ammunition will be used to shore up morale back home in way that wasn't possible in OTL.

I think the attitude on the home front will be less invasion panic and more, Britain alone against the Continent. Again.
Mm, I'd think the ship carrying the Valiants and captured equipment would receive as little publicity as the government could possibly manage. No need to tell the enemy you're looking at his stuff. Or tip your hand that you've got a fancy new vehicle in production.

This isn't the paranoid West during the Cold War. I doubt that they'd talk about the Valiants, but the Panzers being displayed on Pathe News at the Cinema would be a thing.

This isn't the paranoid West during the Cold War. I doubt that they'd talk about the Valiants, but the Panzers being displayed on Pathe News at the Cinema would be a thing.
True, plus Britain already owns all of the German spy rings in the country, so it's not much of a risk I suppose.

Mm, I'd think the ship carrying the Valiants and captured equipment would receive as little publicity as the government could possibly manage. No need to tell the enemy you're looking at his stuff. Or tip your hand that you've got a fancy new vehicle in production.
Those captured vehicles are going to be paraded around the country along with the three Valiants. The episode though actually very minor will be played up as much as possible for morale purposes alongside the Miracle of Dunkirk and the Little Ships. After the disaster of the Battle of France any bright spot to be found will be highlighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.