The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Yeah, I noticed this a few years ago, and suggested as a group switching to an actual projected map (my proposal was for Kavraiskiy-7, but would settle for Robinson). But due to the high "installed user base" there was little interest. Real life issues have since meant that although I like to observe the ah stories, I haven't the spoons to actually work on maps much any more.

@James the AH Fan : The poles have always been 'cropped' on every version of the worlda right from the start, and worlda has never been an actual map projection (at least, not a projection that is acknowledged and named outside of an a-h context), merely a drawing of one.
It's nearly Robinson

Last edited:
@hadaril I think we have a problem here
(sorry if that sounds rude)
B28225D4-C4D8-4B09-82AB-7992838E0178.jpeg

Why does Norway have Svalbard?

Edit: Could we have used this https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...tl-worlda-series.436046/page-67#post-20819166 to turn any equirectangular map into any projection we want (including worlda projection)?

---

Does anyone have any idea how to show claims on North Pole on this map? Antarctica is quite clear (you can imagine they converge on SP, but how about NP?), for example Russia claimed up to the North Pole

Last edited:
I like how we're still yet to see a geography map for the rest of the nextgen worlda and then we just get antarctica's topography with the map.

Doing god's work.
there is one, just without a key, and missing Antarctica
topo.png

I'm curious, can you elaborate?
You know how the current worlda is almost unusable when it comes to making basemaps for it?

The old one was even more innacurate, and was known for basically having no system whatsoever and so was a splattering of colour schemes, innacurate borders, etc. There's a few paragraphs on the old worldas at the start of the thread.

Why does Norway have Svalbard?
I swore I fixed that. I'll go back and do that.

The Lena River, particularly the downstream portion, is completely wrong. Its river delta is not directly south of the New Siberian Islands, but to the west.
The rivers map in general is pretty bad. I've been meaning to go back and fix it, but that's been on the backburner.

Edit: Could we have used this https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...tl-worlda-series.436046/page-67#post-20819166 to turn any equirectangular map into any projection we want (including worlda projection)?
I'll need to go play around with that. I've had some difficulty reprojecting maps into (and out of) the worlda projection in the past for a few reasons. First, the original basemap is based on the Kavrayskiy VII projection (for god knows what reason), which is very obscure and isn't featured in software I've used in the past. Second, it's only based on the Kavrayskiy projection - it isn't a perfect recreation of it, even on the nextgen worldas.

I'm curious, can you elaborate?
As @Pen mentioned, the old worlda's were uh, not great and I put some paragraphs on the original post explaining that. Here's the 1200 map from the old series. Note the different land color in east siberia, the number of uncolored countries, and other such wonderful features such as borders that don't line up with other years.
1200 AD.png

For comparison, here's the new one:

1200 new.png

Last edited:
As @Pen mentioned, the old worlda's were uh, not great and I put some paragraphs on the original post explaining that. Here's the 1200 map from the old series. Note the different land color in east siberia, the number of uncolored countries, and other such wonderful features such as borders that don't line up with other years.View attachment 623901
For comparison, here's the new one:

View attachment 623902
How are those two the same year oh god