National Football Association: An Alternative American Football Timeline

Still not sure who Terry Henderson for Boston is?
Terry Henderson was a player I made up. All the players for the NFA are made up. Just the NFA. MLB, NBA, and NHL still have the same players as OTL. Saves me the hassle of coming up with names for all the players for every league.

Terry used to play for Philadelphia till 1949 where he was let go. He is currently 30 years of age and still a good player to watch in the league. I like creating original players for this league and spotlighting them whenever I can. Hopefully, it will help build the world of the NFA more and more over time.

Chapter 08: The 1951 NFA Regular Season
1951 NFA Regular Season:

Eastern Division Standings:
Washington Federals (12-1-1)
New York Aeros (11-3)
Boston Indians (8-6)
Buffalo Bison (6-8)
Philadelphia Minutemen (4-10)

Western Division Standings:
Minnesota Saints (11-2-1)
Chicago Wildcats (10-4)
Los Angeles Stars (9-5)
Pennsylvania Coal Miners (5-9)
Milwaukee Wolves (3-11)

The sixth NFA season saw the Federals rise to domination, the fall of the Coal Miners, and the Stars of LA shine bright!

The NFA sixth season begins with a draw between the Minnesota Saints and the Washington Federals at a soldout Griffith Stadium. American Football, at least the professional version, was growing like never before. The DuMont Network and its sister stations across the nation help spread the game from East to West coast. Won’t be long till the league will expand again. In the meantime. The NFA, before the regular season, decided to move the field goal post to behind the endzone. While also making the 30th-yard line the start of the kickoff after each touchdown and start of each game.

The NFA would also air more games on the DuMont network this season, with almost the whole league being televised each week of the regular season. The playoffs are also now fully televised as well.

More black players started joining the league. Boston would sign fullback Willy Franklin to a three-year deal. While the LA Stars signed former San Fransisco Dons wide receiver Dwight Vernon to a four-year deal. Despite some signing for Milwaukee, two of the players they signed during the offseason, OLB Lyle Dotson and defensive tackle Peter Foster, were hit by the injury bug and were inactive for most of the season. This left Milwaukee without a good defensive core and left them at the bottom of the standings.

Team Season Report:
Eastern Division:

1. Washington Federals:
The Federals continue onward from their loss to Chicago in the National Bowl a better team. Quarterback Jimmy Wade Hill improved more on his skills and the improvements paid off with a first-place finish for the team.

2. New York Aeros:
The Aeros may have dropped one spot down, but they are still the same tough team from last season. The duo of Billy Evans in QB and a rejuvenated RB Josh Danielson proved to be a tough thing to beat. Added WR Curtis Mathews from Texas A&M and a good defensive squad. The “Mighty Aeros” might go all the way to the National Bowl.

3. Boston Indians:
Boston Terry Henderson, now 31 years of age, is doing better now with his new environment. The Indians QB Matthew Clark and fullback Dale Hammond and the rest are doing the best they can to help Terry win a title and try to go out on the sunset. Luckily for the Indians, the Bison and Minutemen help out and with the win over Milwaukee in week 14, grabbed the last spot in the playoffs.

4. Buffalo Bisons:
The team is improving, but they are nowhere near a solid unit. It shows against big opponents like Los Angeles, Boston, and New York. Washington was a surprise for them and the league with their win in week 10. That was the Federal’s only loss in the season (they also tied in week 3 against the Saints). I suspect a new coach might be in order but coach Raymond Rhodes, who was hired in after the move from Cleveland, was told to improve if he wants to keep his job.

5: Philadelphia Minutemen:
For head coach Eugene Boone, he is done. After another failed season, and failing to spark the fire in his team, was let go from the Minutemen. Sadly, the former HC from Michigan State would pass away weeks after the regular season. The team, despite not making the playoffs the last few seasons, paid tribute to Boone in the newspaper.

“He was a wonderful man. He was still positive with the team and keep fighting to the end. We will miss Eugene and we give our condolences to the family.” - Peter Harris, Owner of the Minutemen

Western Division:

1. Minnesota Saints:
As the saying goes, the Saints are marching in. This time to the playoffs. The Minnesota Saints, with Roy Vincent as QB., are on top of their game in the Western Division. Even outclassing the newer QB in both New York’s Billy Evans and Boston Matthew Clark. The Saints also have RB Kenny Rowe and a stellar offensive and defensive core. This team is National Bowl contenders for sure.

2. Chicago Wildcats:
The Wildcats, despite being second place in the division, are still top contenders for the NFA title. QB Andrew Patel and WR Raymond Walsh would prove to be tough to beat. Not helped that the Wildcats grabbed Gilbert Kirby from the CFA Winnipeg Wanderers. A move that upset the CFA but made NFA President Arch Ward very happy.

3. Los Angeles Stars:
The Stars, in just their second year, upset not just Milwaukee but the former three-time National Bowl champions Pennsylvania Coal Miners in record fashion. Stars quarterback Hayden Coleman, did very well for the City of Angels where he was treated like a Hollywood Star. Even made friends with Bing Crosby. Who, out of good faith, became a minority stakeholder for the LA Stars. It great to have good company.

4. Pennsylvania Coal Miners:
From winning three championships to no longer in the playoff hunt. The Rebuilding process now begins. Owner Garrett Smith decided to work on the team’s defense. Traded WR Michael Young for Milwaukee’s DT Derrick Noble. This was seen as a bad move, as Young was treated as a hero to the Miners faithful. Fans demanded for his return but Smith declined. Will it pay off next season is up to debate.

5. Milwaukee Wolves:
For the Wolves, the sophomore season will be a season to forget and forget fast. Dropping to the last place once more. The only bright spot is from the last few weeks when they signed former Miner Michael Young away. Young wasn’t very happy but decided to make the best of it. With Young, they would win the last three of the four remaining games of the regular season, including a nail biter against Philadelphia in week 12. Hope might be coming to the team, but HC Julian Bradley needs to get the team under control.

After the regular season, NFA President Arch Ward announced that the league will be holding their first draft before the 1952 season. Players who graduated from college are accepted to the NFA Draft. The Draft Order and the number of rounds will be announced before the National Bowl.

(Edit 1/14/21: Bing Crosby misspelling wasn't actually my fault, spellchecker on google screwed up for some reason? Weird, I wonder why Grammarly and Google Docs had issues with it. Anywho fixed now, thanks @mrcubfan415. Should look into it, hopefully, it was just a weird bug or mistake on their part.)

Last edited:
Interesting. Will Lamar Hunt get a team in this league for Dallas eventually? And, will it eventually merge with the NFL?
I responded to this before but it bears repeating. This is an Alternative History of Pro Gridiron Football in America. There is no NFL, Lamar Hunt will get a team someday, though not yet.

The only two gridiron leagues in this TL are the NFA (United States) and the CFA (Canada). That's it. It an original series with fictional players, coaches, and some other people like owners and such. Okay?

Thought, what do you think so far? I just pick this story back up from an hiatus so I will be experimenting with some things.

I responded to this before but it bears repeating. This is an Alternative History of Pro Gridiron Football in America. There is no NFL, Lamar Hunt will get a team someday, though not yet.

The only two gridiron leagues in this TL are the NFA (United States) and the CFA (Canada). That's it. It an original series with fictional players, coaches, and some other people like owners and such. Okay?

Thought, what do you think so far? I just pick this story back up from an hiatus so I will be experimenting with some things.

Oh, OK. So, in this world, the NFL maybe dies in the 20's when they can't get Red Grange for a game or something, and they can't meet a payday.

This is pretty good so far.

Oh, OK. So, in this world, the NFL maybe dies in the 20's when they can't get Red Grange for a game or something, and they can't meet a payday.

This is pretty good so far.
Actually, the professional game was mostly overshadowed by the college game. Red Grange doesn't exist (Remember what i said, original players). Arch Ward (one of a few exceptions due to creating the College All-Star Game) created the league to help players continue onward after college.

If you are wondering, the MLB, NBA, and NHL are separate from this rule unless there were real-life people (Bo Jackson for example) who played football and another sport. In this case, that person would play baseball or whatever instead. I know it kinda confusing but I like to keep some rules for this TL.

Thank you for liking it so far @AltSptHst, I never thought I would go back to it. It not as big as my other story, which I'm okay with as it allows me to be experimental with what I can and can't do.

Chapter 09: The 1951 NFA Playoffs
1951 NFA Playoffs

Eastern Division Semi-Finals
Boston Indians vs New York Aeros​

Despite Boston’s best efforts. New York would make mincemeat with the Indians. Aeros quarterback Billy Evans would be sack twice though by Boston’s OLB Tommy Osborn. Leading to some questions about Evan’s health after a hard hit by Osborn that lead to safety.

Boston 12 - New York 24

Western Division Semi-Finals
Los Angeles Stars vs Chicago Wildcats​

LA may be the shiny new team of the West Coast, yet this time, the Wildcats would be the team to make them look dull. Chicago WR Raymond Walsh would prove to be the man of the hour with 3 touchdown catches.

Los Angeles 14 - Chicago 24

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

NFA Eastern Finals:
New York Aeros vs Washington Federals​

Washington and New York keep themselves close. The game was tied seven to seven by the 3rd quarter. 4th quarter started and the “Mighty Aeros” scored high as Washington couldn’t keep pace with them.

New York 26 - Washington 10

NFA Western Finals
Chicago Wildcats vs Minnesota Saints​

The Saints came marching in, only to be knocked out thanks to Chicago QB Andrew Patel. Fun game to watch, unless you supported Minnesota. Chicago and New York will meet for the second time in the National Bowl.

Chicago 36 - Minnesota 17

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFA National Bowl VI
November 18, 1951
Broadcast on the DuMont Television Network
Polo Grounds
Attendance: 35,000 (Estimates)
Chicago Wildcats vs New York Aeros​

For the second time in three years, Chicago and New York face off for the NFA Championship. This was a massive deal as these two teams are considered the two most popular teams in the NFA besides Los Angeles. Aeros QB Billy Evans and Wildcats QB Andrew Patel have a mutual rivalry between the two men and it showed once more in this game.

By the end of the game though, Coach Paul Brown failed to capture the NFA title once again as the “Mighty Aeros” would once again pull out on top of the Professional Gridiron Football World. The NFA would also benefit as well as the league would look to consider expansion once more. One person eyeing for a team would be from Dallas, Texas. This man is named Lamar Hunt.

Chicago 24 - New York 31

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sports News from 1951:​

MLB: The Cleveland Indians would be renamed before the season to the Cleveland Spiders. They will also end their drought and make it to the American League Championship, only to be swatted down by the Detroit Tigers. The Tigers would repeat as World Series Champions by defeating the NL St. Louis Cardinals.

By the end of the season, the St. Louis Browns would be bought and sold by Bud Adams and relocated to Houston, Texas. To become the new Houston Buffaloes.

NHL: The NHL would continue as a six-team league. The New York Rangers tried to outclass the Detroit Red Wings, only for Gordie Howe to knock them down a peg. Detroit would win the Stanley Cup for the 1950-51 season.

NBA: The Syracuse Nationals, would once again repeat as NBA Champions by defeating the Boston Celtics in six games.

CFA: To summary what going on with the Canadian Football Association. They finally secure a television deal with CBC and the CFA Finals between Toronto Dukes and the Calgary Blazers would see good numbers as the Blazers win the title over the Dukes. (It also helps that Montreal Royals wasn’t in the picture (they won the title up to this point)). They also announced an expansion to Vancouver for the 1952 season.

List of CFA teams (1952 Season):​
CFA East:
Toronto Dukes
Montreal Royals
Ottawa Riflemen
Hamilton Steelers

CFA West:
Calgary Blazers
Regina Spirits
Edmonton Oil Kings
Vancouver Breakers (Expansion)

(Any questions or comments would be nice. Thank you for reading and have a great day.)​

Congrats to the Aeros. BTW, will the Braves still go to Milwaukee and the A’s to Kansas City like IOTL?

Chapter 10: The 1952 NFA Regular Season
NFA 1952 Regular Season:​
Eastern Division Standings:
  1. New York Aeros
  2. Boston Indians
  3. Buffalo Bison
  4. Washington Federals
  5. Philadelphia Minutemen

Western Division Standings:
  1. Chicago Wildcats
  2. Los Angeles Stars
  3. Minnesota Saints
  4. Milwaukee Wolves
  5. Pennsylvania Coal Miners

1952 brought some major changes to the league. With professional American Football growing, College Football isn’t really doing much to try and turn the tide. The NCAA, still in their traditional mindset, sees the National Football Association as their own thing believing that the traditions that their NCAA members have will keep them going. Despite this, the NCAA is considering a television deal in the future for all of their conferences. Despite some conferences like the Southwest Conference wanting their own tv deal.

This year also brought the inaugural NFA Draft. During the draft, Pennsylvania would select Runningback Jim Owen from Pittsburgh. Philadelphia would select Tackle Cory Crosby from Maryland to go with their acquisition of Fullback Timothy Singleton who defected from the CFA Edmonton Oil Kings.

-Other Selected Players from the Inaugural Draft-
Guard Eric Holmes (Boston University) selected by Buffalo
Defensive End Willie Graves (San Francisco) selected by Los Angeles
Running Back Jay Levy (Texas) was selected by Boston
Tackle Johnny Sims (Stephen F. Austin) selected by Buffalo
Running Back Donald Walters (Wisconsin) was selected by Minnesota

1952 also saw the debut of Jerry Dickson as Philadelphia Minutemen’s new head coach after the firing of the late Eugene Boone. Dickson has been around the college game mostly coaching Boston University and Miami (Fl) before heading to the Minutemen. Despite a good showing in both universities, his first season for the team left a lot to be desired.

“I left week three's game against Los Angeles wondering what the living hell is going on here? My time as Miami and Boston U head coach was nothing compared to this. I have to find a way to get these players into shape or else my head would roll.” Jerry Dickson interview with Dumont NFA Today in September 1982

The regular season was mostly dominated by New York, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles. New York only lost two games this season, both to Los Angeles. The Stars of Hollywood came out to support the LA Stars. Chicago would edge out the Stars by one game while LA would surpass Minnesota in the standing to get home field advantage against the Saints come playoff time. In the East, New York and Boston, just like their MLB counterparts, battled it out for the top spot in the division. The Aeros would fly past the Indians despite a loss against Philadelphia in the last game of the season. Boston and Buffalo would make their spots despite Washington winning their last three games.

NFA 1952 Playoffs:​
Eastern Semifinals: Buffalo Bisons vs Boston Indians (winner faces New York in Finals)
Western Semifinals: Minnesota Saints vs Los Angeles Stars (winner faces Chicago in Finals)

This series is my "Zombie Series" I keep wanting to update this but have never gotten around. Then tonight happened and here we are. Hopefully, this chapter turned out well. I will see if I can get the next chapter in the works. :)