Philadelphia wank

How can we get Philadelphia to be Americas capital and and Largest city with a pod between July 4 1776 and and December 31 1900?

You'd have to avoid the 1793 plague. Philadelphia was building up extensive additions to what was then the President's House and de-facto Capitol in hopes of the 1790 provision to move to Washington just more or less stall and wither if enough governmental amenities existed, but this really frightened a lot of government workers. Keep it under control and Philadelphians have a stronger chance of convincing the government to stay put, I'd imagine. Maybe with an offer to cut off from Pennsylvania as a federal district, though I couldn't say I ever read on that as part of their plan to stay capital.

Prevent Hamilton and Jefferson from doing the compromise of 1790 in the infamous "room where it happened" and that will help your goal
Another round about way of achieving it might be to recognize Maryland claims in Pennsylvania somehow which would give them control of Philadelphia and thus make it a southern capital.
1610604035117.png

As componsation recognize Pennsylvanias claims in New York (In top pic) or assign them Connecticuts western claims (at least the ohio reserve in tan)
1610604675325.png

Last edited:
Easy for capital, harder for largest city. After the Brits sacked Washington in 1814 there was a vote to permanently move the capital to Philadelphia that was only very narrowly defeated. If the rain storm that put out most of the fires hadn't occurred when the Brits were burning all the public buildings the city would have been a husk of its former self and the vote probably flips.

For the biggest city you simultaneously need to nerf New York and and make Philadelphia much, much bigger. Have the Erie Canal stall and have Pennsylvania start it's canal program a decade early and have influential members of Congress press for Philadelphia being the financial hub of the nation after the capital is moved there. That might do it.

Last edited: