Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one absolutely loved this post and LOL a few times while reading it. I will not lie honestly this could easily be me and one of my obnoxious friends at 16 years old in '06 ITTL. If you may I will gladly take on the Nerdicus role and will help out with any future segments they may show up in. Just shoot me a PM please and let me know if you had any ideas for a future post.

Well that transcript seems why tooo close to Real Life. Some really bad channels out there.
Definitely reads as an aggravating conversation to listen through, so big success on that front.
To quote the ever-on-point Lindsay Ellis: "Thanks, I hate it!"
It's so on the nose of that mid-00s garbage experimentation I can't picture these two clowns in anything other than cardboard+foil armour and terrible makeup worthy of season 1 of MST3K (yeah, the season even most fans haven't seen!).
I legitimately rolled my eyes at a lot of the jokes there. Exactly what I'd expect from the early-mid 2000's. Hopefully these guys get better as they will go on.
Bet these guys parents are reccuring characters, ones wo show up on occasion to scold them for whatever.
I am going to be upfront here: I tried to read the transcript, but my self-preservation instincts kicked in, and I scrolled away. It was like if Red Letter Media's "Nerd Crew" bit was cranked up to 11.
Dorkimax has got to turn it around in the next segment, he's coming across as an annoying idiot.
Thank you all for your kind words! You bring a tear to my eye.😢:)

Seriously, it's good to see that the intended audience reaction came through. Dorkimax is an annoying idiot! Nerdicus is quite the D-Bag too. That said, I totally know these guys and have seen this channel.
I for one absolutely loved this post and LOL a few times while reading it. I will not lie honestly this could easily be me and one of my obnoxious friends at 16 years old in '06 ITTL. If you may I will gladly take on the Nerdicus role and will help out with any future segments they may show up in. Just shoot me a PM please and let me know if you had any ideas for a future post.
I've been pretty borderline Nerdicus myself at times. I based them in part on those obnoxious geek fanboy channels and in part on the "Afternoon Zoo" radio DJ duos that laugh at their own jokes and try to be as obnoxious as possible.

A shame that Turner's own cartoon channel didn't adopt the Cartoon Network title TTL! It rolls off the tongue much better than Cartoon TV, that's for sure! But at the same time, I imagine the CN title doesn't make as much sense when you're lacking some of the foundationary cartoons the channel was built on OTL, the cartoons now shoring up TTL!Nickelodeon. Rankin-Bass becoming a part of it is a nice bonus for them.

Hanna-Barbera and Filmation ending up under the same roof just feels rather fitting though, I'll be honest! DIC ending up under the thumb of Hollywood Studios was an unexpected twist though, though in this case it is a bit of OTL leaking into TTL. Eisner's ambitions may result in them not regaining their independence though, haha!

So we have Warner!Nick, Cartoon TV, and Hollywood!DIC alongside Disney in the space of TV, exciting! I am a bit sad that, due to Warner owning Nick TTL, Games Productions Inc. is in effect butterflied, unless Viacom independently decides to come up with it, for whatever reason (do they even have any channels for children's content strictly at the moment?). I imagine folks like Vanessa Coffey will be floating around, and may end up getting scooped up elsewhere.
Would it still be called "Kimba" if it's Disney doing the North American distribution instead of NBC? I suppose it would be if you're just putting it there for the lulz. Clearly memes spite nails!
I'm most surprised at the relaunch of shows like Popeye and Betty Boop! The demise of DIC is sad, I'm sure their final Littles movie is a good watch.
The Cartoon TV logo is essentially rendered something like CarTvoon where the "TV" descends diagonally through the "Car-oon". I can't really do it justice with the text here. It's got the full stable of H-B titles to jumpstart it while WB is able to use its titles to keep Nick running, Boop and Popeye are part of a "shotgun" approach of throwing out a load of titles and seeing what connects with audiences. Popeye will have a modest run while Betty Boop will gain a big Japanese audience since she's borderline kawaii as it is.

Technically Kimba is being released as Jungle Emperor Leo, but everyone calls it Kimba.

The Littles will come up later, of course.

Last edited:

Indiana Beach Crow

Monthly Donor
I think I found another reason for Hollywood Pictures to buy Universal (beyond their Universal Studios theme park), before 2006 Universal owned Oswald the Lucky Rabbit OTL so I wouldn't put past Eisner to buy Universal to get the rights to Oswald as a screw you to Disney.

It has to happen just to set up one of the greatest trades in sports history, Disney trading sportscaster Al Michaels to NBCUniversal for the rights to a cartoon rabbit.

OK. So now that Nick won't be going to Viacom, do MTV and VH1 still go there? If so I have a proposal., MTV Kids. It's an idea I've presented before in the past, but basically, since MTV was always about that animation as well as their music, it would make sense for them to adapt that for the younger GenXers. Also, I def see Nickelodeon launching TTL's answer to Toonami now that Warner has it still.

Last edited:
The Cartoon TV logo is essentially rendered something like CarTvoon where the "TV" descends diagonally through the "Car-oon". I can't really do it justice with the text here. It's got the full stable of H-B titles to jumpstart it while WB is able to use its titles to keep Nick running.
I can imagine it, but it still feels comparatively less cool than the Cartoon Network, but alas, that's how the cookie crumbles.
OK. So now that Nick won't be going to Viacom, do MTV and VH1 still go there? If so I have a proposal., MTV Kids. It's an idea I've presented before in the past, but basically, since MTV was always about that animation as well as their music, it would make sense for them to adapt that for the younger GenXers. Also, I def see Nickelodeon launching TTL's answer to Toonami now that Warner has it still.
As per "Buyouts, Mergers, and Heroes (oh my!)", both Nick and MTV were retained by Warner, and since the OTL MTV Networks also included VH1, the Movie Channel and something now-defunct known as the Radio Television Station, presumably (though they still could've purchased the other half interest in Showtime from Warner, along with The Movie Channel). So that idea is a no-go, I imagine.

However, something Viacom does own is Showtime. If Viacom was really interested in going through with the idea of expanding into children's entertainment, they could go through with the idea of Showtime Kids, or alternatively just a brand new channel. They would still have the downside that a lot of the folks that helped form early Nick (and MTV too) are still with Nick TTL, such as Geraldine Laybourne, Bob Pittman, Fred Seibert and Alan Goodman, with the processes that eventually made it as OTL beginning in 1984, some three years before the OTL sale to Viacom. Of course, butterflies be flutterin', but something like the rebooted Popeye, Betty Boop and Mighty Mouse just seems fitting in this sort of transitional period for the channel.

Interestingly, however, if Warner began reairing its old content on Nick circa '86/'87, likely to the approval of Laybourne, then Bakshi's OTL pitch for an animated series, Tattertown, wouldn't be as appealing anymore (again, butterflies not withstanding, given TTL's Bat-Shit Productions and their productions on Howard the Duck and Fear and Loathing). There wouldn't be a need to get something going to give the network's execs the confidence needed to get the animation department going, since, you know, they already were part of Warner! Laybourne probably would've just set out the rules for the network's cartoons from the outset. This does also butterfly Nick's second attempt at original animation OTL, which brought in Vanessa Coffey as an independent contractor. If Coffey TTL instead decides to approach Showtime, in hopes of getting original animation going, and they get a successful special going, that just might inspire something...

Last edited:
I can imagine it, but it still feels comparatively less cool than the Cartoon Network, but alas, that's how the cookie crumbles.

As per "Buyouts, Mergers, and Heroes (oh my!)", both Nick and MTV were retained by Warner, and since the OTL MTV Networks also included VH1, the Movie Channel and something now-defunct known as the Radio Television Station, presumably. So that idea is a no-go, I imagine.

However, something Viacom does own is Showtime. If Viacom was really interested in going through with the idea of expanding into children's entertainment, they could go through with the idea of Showtime Kids, or alternatively just a brand new channel. They would still have the downside that a lot of the folks that helped form early Nick (and MTV too) are still with Nick TTL, such as Geraldine Laybourne, Bob Pittman, Fred Seibert and Alan Goodman, with the processes that eventually made it as OTL beginning in 1984, some three years before the OTL sale to Viacom. Of course, butterflies be flutterin', but something like the rebooted Popeye, Betty Boop and Mighty Mouse just seems fitting in this sort of transitional period for the channel.

Interestingly, however, if Warner began reairing its old content on Nick circa '86/'87, likely to the approval of Laybourne, then Bakshi's OTL pitch for an animated series, Tattertown, wouldn't be as appealing anymore (again, butterflies not withstanding, given TTL's Bat-Shit Productions and their productions on Howard the Duck and Fear and Loathing). There wouldn't be a need to get something going to give the network's execs the confidence needed to get the animation department going, since, you know, they already were part of Warner! Laybourne probably would've just set out the rules for the network's cartoons from the outset. This does also butterfly Nick's second attempt at original animation OTL, which brought in Vanessa Coffey as an independent contractor. If Coffey TTL instead decides to approach Showtime, in hopes of getting original animation going, and they get a successful special going, that just might inspire something...

So the idea is that Nick ITTL could easily become something akin to Kids WB and Fox Kids?

Well, a this means no Nick-at-Night or TV Land, and the only recognizable late Eighties afternoon and evening Nickelodeon shows carrying over from OTL to TTL being Turkey Television and You Can't Do That on Television. We are looking at virgin territory.

Well, this means no Nick-at-Night or TV Land, and the only recognizable late Eighties afternoon and evening Nickelodeon shows carrying over from OTL to TTL being Turkey Television and You Can't Do That on Television. We are looking at virgin territory.
Likely no TV Land, given that emerged in the 90s, but Nick at Nite debuted in 1985 before the Viacom purchase, so it is still probably around unless Geekhis says otherwise!

So the idea is that Nick ITTL could easily become something akin to Kids WB and Fox Kids?
Maybe, but the environment is also rather different, since some of Nick's OTL building blocks are still present. It could possibly end up a very-OTL!Nick flavored version of those channels, depending on how things go.

Likely no TV Land, given that emerged in the 90s, but Nick at Nite debuted in 1985 before the Viacom purchase, so it is still probably around unless Geekhis says otherwise!

I distinctly remember Nick-at-Nite debuting in 1988. I was thirteen at the time, and I was born in 1975.

marathag

Banned
Nick-at-Night happened starting in 1988, out of the brainstorming of the geniuses at Viacom. TV Land happened ten years later, through the experiences of AMC and Turner Classic Movies, as a 24 hour version of Nick-at-Night.
The low cost of the old programs made for the majority of programming on small market non-affiliated TV channels.
Central Minnesota had 'TV Heaven' KXLI as part of the flailing attempt at a nationwide network, Star Television, that showed old TV and infomercials overnight once full 24 hour operation took place.
An aside, thru the '80s, many TV stations would sign off from around 1am to 5am, and would start the day with the national anthem over B reel of patriotic stuff and landscapes.

Will Super Disney be able to hold off the ravaging horde of Reality TV in this TL or will Big Brother housemates Kermit and Mickey join the darkside?

Stay Tuned! Same Bat Channel etc etc :openedeyewink:

Will Super Disney be able to hold off the ravaging horde of Reality TV in this TL or will Big Brother housemates Kermit and Mickey join the darkside?

Stay Tuned! Same Bat Channel etc etc :openedeyewink:
If they do end up investing in reality television, I hope they don't invest TOO much and TOO often! Remember, this is The DISNEY Channel, not MTV!

Disney Movies 1985-1986
Pictures Released by Walt Disney Studios, 1985-1986

Release dateTitleStudio labelCo-production with
January 18, 1985Pinocchio (re-release) [w/ Short A Day in the Park]Walt Disney Productions
February 20, 1985The Valley of the WindToei CompanyDistributed by Buena Vista under the Fantasia Films label
March 22, 1985Baby: Secret of the Lost LegendFantasia filmsSilver Screen Partners II
April 12, 1985The Three Caballeros [w/ classic Short The Three Caballeros]Walt Disney ProductionsSilver Screen Partners II
May 3, 1985101 Dalmatians (re-release) [w/ Short Gonzo & Goofy’s Galactic Golf]Walt Disney Productions
June 7, 1985The Ballad of Edward FordHyperion PicturesSilver Screen Partners II
June 21, 1985Return to OzFantasia FilmsSilver Screen Partners II
August 30, 1985Spies Like UsHyperion PicturesSilver Screen Partners II
September 27, 1985The Journey of Natty Gann [w/ Short Man’s Best Friend with Mickey & Pluto]Walt Disney ProductionsSilver Screen Partners II
October 4, 1985DreamchildFantasia FilmsEMI Productions
November 22, 1985Elementary! [w/ Short First Contact]Walt Disney ProductionsSilver Screen Partners II
December 18, 1985The BureauFantasia FilmsHandMade Films, Silver Screen Partners II
January 31, 1986The Best of TimesKing’s Road ProductionsDistributed by Buena Vista under the Hyperion Pictures label
March 7, 1986Sleeping Beauty (re-release) [w/ Short The Bunny Picnic]Walt Disney Productions
May 9, 1986Short CircuitFantasia FilmsTri-Star Pictures, Silver Screen Partners II
May 23, 1986Where the Wild Things Are [w/ Short Little Luxi]Walt Disney ProductionsSilver Screen Partners II
June 27, 1986LabyrinthFantasia FilmsSilver Screen Partners II
July 9, 1986The Neverending Story: The Next ChapterFantasia FilmsConstantin Films AG, Silver Screen Partners II
July 26, 1986Flight of the Navigator [w/ Short A Wish for Whales]Walt Disney ProductionsSilver Screen Partners II
August 6, 1986Transformers, the MovieMarvel ProductionsSunbow Entertainment (Distributed by Buena Vista under the Marvel name due to contractual obligations)
August 13, 1986RhapsodyHyperion PicturesSilver Screen Partners II
September 26, 1986Lady and the Tramp (re-release) [w/ Short Foo Foo’s Big Adventure]Walt Disney ProductionsSilver Screen Partners II
October 10, 1986ClockwiseThorn EMI Screen EntertainmentDistributed by Buena Vista under the Fantasia Films label
November 12, 1986Castle in the SkyStudio GhibliDistributed by Buena Vista under the Fantasia Films label
November 21, 1986Song of the South (modernization) [w/ Short By the Bayou (from Musicana)]Walt Disney ProductionsSilver Screen Partners II
December 19, 1986Little Shop of HorrorsFantasia FilmsSilver Screen Partners II

Status
Not open for further replies.