Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems rather insulting toward Africa. Think about how it sounds.
I think it comes more from space-filling-empire mania (which tbh we've all done): you don't know what to say so you don't say anything. But yes, it's pretty insulting to suppose that not a single government will be capable of somewhat weathering the storm and keep existing in any relevant form

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
View attachment 615429The world in ~100 years.
-European Union Unifies.
-Canada and the USA unite, UK joins after the EU supports Scottish Independence.
-Coalition War against the PRC, Mongolia, India the ROC, and the Anglosphere Union.
-Africa collapses into barely organized states.
-Latin America Unites.
-A bunch of other stuff.
Africa collapses?

Just for shits & giggles I suppose.

At least try to be subtle. My dog is going nuts over the whistle and she's been dead for 10 years.

You are on notice.

Sub-Saharan Africa is likely to bear the worst brunt of climate change later in the 21st century. I think that map is heavily simplified and perhaps a bit lazy (space-filling empire vibes) but I also don't necessarily think that the author was being intentionally racist.

I second what Snowstalker said, while the map seems lazy it is true that africa will probably face the worst brunt of coming crisises. I dont think this is ment as a racist thing

Map I made because my little brother wanted one. So I asked him what he wanted and he said "South America and one country should have many colonies there" so i made one

broooo.png

View attachment 615429The world in ~100 years.
-European Union Unifies.
-Canada and the USA unite, UK joins after the EU supports Scottish Independence.
-Coalition War against the PRC, Mongolia, India the ROC, and the Anglosphere Union.
-Africa collapses into barely organized states.
-Latin America Unites.
-A bunch of other stuff.
so uh. why did africa collapse ? and what exactly spurred the coalition war against china?

Kdm Miskita.png

Kingdom of Miskita

The Kingdom of Miskita is an English-speaking country in Central America. It is unique in the Americas for being an independent indigenous kingdom. Miskita was a protectorate of the United Kingdom from 1844 – 1972 but its contact with the British goes back to the 17th Century. It is diverse country with Amerindians, Zambos, Whites all being native. Since the 1950s there has been large Hispanic, White and Black Caribbean immigration. Miskita is a member of the Commonwealth, Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and the Organisation of American States (OAS). Quite poor for much of its history, its economy used depend on forestry, fishing and agriculture but has now transitioned to tourism and corporate services. Although it is recognised for good governance and a regionally high standard of living, the country faces some challenges. Drug smuggling remains a problem in less developed parts of the coast meanwhile the country faces an increase in hurricanes which have devastated the country several times.

History

Europeans arrived in the area in 1700s with the natives there being divided between around 30 “nations”. Although the Spanish tried, they could never fully conqueror or bring the region under their control. This lack of control lead the Miskita Coast to become a haven for European pirates in particular British pirates. The first black descendants of the Miskita Zambos arrived through escaping slavery and slave ships and intermarrying with the natives.

British contact increased during the 17th century with the son of the “King of Miskito” visiting England during the reign of Charles I. The Miskito Kingdom and Britain signed a formal alliance in 1740 although the Miskito Coast was effectively a protectorate. After the treaty the Miskita raided Spanish settlements as part of the War of Jenkin’s Ear and British immigration spurred the development of plantations and exploiting of timber resources. The British protectorate lasted until 1786 Convention of London where Britain evacuated the coast in favour of its colony in Belize.

Spain controlled the area but this was never favoured by the Miskita. Due to bad connections to the Central American highlands, the area was transferred to Viceroyalty of New Granada (now Colombia). The distance from New Granada made the area practically independent with Spanish presence extremely limited. Spanish control of the Miskita Kingdom effectively ended during the Napoleonic War and the Spanish American wars of independence.

After the Spanish left, the Miskita Kings re-stablished contacts with the British especially the colony in Belize. The British recognised Miskita as an independent kingdom in 1837 and diplomatically pushed back encroachments by Nicaragua and Honduras on the Kingdom. The British did not punish the Kingdom when it took Greytown from Nicaragua despite Nicaraguan protests.

In the mid-19th century both the UK and USA were interested in building a canal though Central America to connect the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. The British saw the Miskita Coast as an ideal for a Nicaraguan canal. This and internal chaos in Miskita after the death of the King caused the British to establish a renewed Protectorate in 1844.

The growing tension between the UK and US in Central America resulted in a few clashes. The US was worried about increased British territorial and economic expansion in the area and that any British built canal could be closed to American ships. This resulted in the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty. (POD)

The Treaty negotiations were almost concluded when a major misunderstanding was discovered between the sides. Article 1 said “Both parties would never occupy, fortify or colonise any part of Central America”. The Americans thought that this meant the UK would abandon the Miskita Coast and large parts of Belize to neighbouring nations, while the British thought they could not expand their current holdings. After a near breakdown in the negotiations, the US prioritised its interest in the free navigation of any British canal. The US agreed to recognise British dominion over Belize, the Bay Islands and the Miskita Coast. The signing of the treaty in 1851 drew objections from Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua but they were powerless to stop it.

With control of Miskita Coast recognised, the British invested heavily in the timber resources of the area with companies pushing ever deeper into the interior to find the valuable mahogany wood. The border between the Miskita Coast and Nicaragua was vaguely defined and this led to increasing clashes between Nicaraguans and Miskitans over who had the rights over the best forest. In 1895 the killing of 20 British lumber traders by Nicaraguan border patrol caused outrage in London. This resulted in the demarcation of the border with a similar treaty was concluded with Honduras in 1896.

From 1894 – 1962 the protectorate was mostly peaceful with increase in plantations for cash crops for export to the USA. The kingdom was poor but well run as the King Andrew I prioritised investment in infrastructure and creating a unified populace from the Zambos (afro-Amerindian Miskita), Tawira (Amerindian Miskita) and the white population. King David Fredrick I ascended the throne in 1962 and pushed for the Kingdom to get more independence from the UK. In preparation for independence, the Oxford University educated King gained advice from the UK and his university contacts on how to run a successful country. He strengthened the role of the Council of Elders with first universal elections in 1966. He strengthened the might of the High Court and created an independent anti-Corruption commission.

Independence came in 1972, the Kingdom gradually realigned itself with the US economy and US interests in the region. Miskita was used as a launch pad American for the seizing of the San Andres Islands from the People’s Republic of Colombia in 1979 and has since then hosted a US base at Bragman’s Bluff. From the late 1980’s this increased integration with US allowed the development of tourism in the Kingdom. The attractions of its largely pristine rainforest and tropical beaches causing a massive increase in American and Canadian tourist arrivals. In 1980’s the Kingdom used the money from tourism to prioritise education, this has now resulted in a decently educated and cheap English-speaking workforce. This has caused several large US companies setting up corporate service centres in Bluefields and other towns which has increased the middle class.

In 1988 Hurricane Joanne hit the country, leaving much of the country devastated and 100 people dead. The flooding and winds destroyed much of Bluefields including the Elder’s House and historic Victoria Wharf. The damage was an estimated $3 billion dollars and resulted in a severe recession, the programme of reconstruction of Bluefields lasted until 1991.

During the mid-90s northern Miskita became a hub of drug smuggling to the US. The drugs would come across the forested border and then be put on small boats in one of numerous cays and bays. Operation SCARLET EAGLE between the US, Miskita and the UK fought the drug smuggling gangs from 1993 – 2000 killing around 800 people and causing much devastation to the area. The smuggling gangs were finally defeated but the area remains poor and underdeveloped compared to the rest of Miskita.

In 2002, James Fredric, Heir to the throne married the Hollywood actress Reece Wetherspoons with guests from the Royal Houses of Europe and Hollywood celebrities. This widely covered tropical beach wedding caused a boom in wedding and honeymoon tourism

It is my first inkscape map, so please let me know how to improve!!

Last edited:
And continuing from my previous map; our northern brethren!
north-america.png

As you can see, the U.S. did not acknowledge the traitorous breakaway state of Arizona (which was conceded by the Confederates in the 1867 Treaty of Paris) and the District of Columbia (consists mostly of present day Washington City) has been abolished as a result of the 1946 Treaty of Friendship signed between the former rivals.

Last edited:
Sub-Saharan Africa is likely to bear the worst brunt of climate change later in the 21st century. I think that map is heavily simplified and perhaps a bit lazy (space-filling empire vibes) but I also don't necessarily think that the author was being intentionally racist.
Right. I don't think the mapmaker was malicious or racist, just lazy. Alas, Africa often gets the short end of the stick in terms of alternate history, and most people default to space-filling empires or OTL borders, as the discussed map did. Oftentimes, more effort is put into the borders of Western Europe than in the rest of the world combined.

There is a way to do "Africa collapses into barely organized states" while doing justice to the continent. One of my current projects features "Central Asia collapses into barely organized states," as a sequelae of a worse-than-OTL USSR collapse, but I have sought to put effort into the region nonetheless.

And in the end, it's a question of effort and knowledge. I recommend that people try to create at least one African regional power in every Worlda map they make, this will force them to learn about something other than Europe.

Right. I don't think the mapmaker was malicious or racist, just lazy. Alas, Africa often gets the short end of the stick in terms of alternate history, and most people default to space-filling empires or OTL borders, as the discussed map did. Oftentimes, more effort is put into the borders of Western Europe than in the rest of the world combined.

There is a way to do "Africa collapses into barely organized states" while doing justice to the continent. One of my current projects features "Central Asia collapses into barely organized states," as a sequelae of a worse-than-OTL USSR collapse, but I have sought to put effort into the region nonetheless.

And in the end, it's a question of effort and knowledge. I recommend that people try to create at least one African regional power in every Worlda map they make, this will force them to learn about something other than Europe.

And if you look at the map, he clearly meant "West Africa (Plus North Africa, which is Arabic?) collapses" rather than the whole continent: it looks like east Africa, south Africa, and the Horn have their own mega-states. (Interestingly, interior East Africa is one of the areas which models suggest will get _increased_ rainfall in the case of global warming [1]),

(Of course, the fact that the entire continent of Africa has less Covid deaths than the US should make people think twice about assuming that Africans can't deal with new crises. There are still some deeply screwed up countries, sure, but Africa is a whole goddamn continent - it's the second largest after Asia - and should never be considered as somehow homogenous.)

[1] While some models do predict Asia will be in even worse shape than Africa, drought-wise. (What's the sound of two billion people discovering they soon won't have enough water to live on? From any distance, not very different from the sound an Apocalypse makes).

Stay tuned for more (if I get around to it)!

Well will you look at that, I got around to it! First, here's the updated global views:

rBlmZSN.png

oxdgPgg.png

EGahcdH.png

U8YKaBl.png

807HEmh.png

r28an7u.png

Then there's the regional close-up views, going from continent to continent, west to east:

qQ5enCu.png

7voG3ne.png

1bY2TgJ.png

WWQ2Zsa.png
ObnK0qm.png

PxXYUTz.png

OcFUD1Q.png
L8lwvjF.png

EppIaw1.png

JqziRux.png

kytCFL6.png

(Continued in next post due to bitch-baby 20-images-per-post limit.)

(Continued from previous post due to bitch-baby 20-images-per-post limit.)

k9SxABw.png

XOUHllk.png

MHtfi9N.png

C84TYF9.png
nKCZFjD.png

jvpexSH.png

DnGrC92.png

Enjoy the view! If you have any questions or comments about the countries here in the maps above, feel free to ask them!

xsampa

Banned
[1] While some models do predict Asia will be in even worse shape than Africa, drought-wise. (What's the sound of two billion people discovering they soon won't have enough water to live on? From any distance, not very different from the sound an Apocalypse makes).
also conflicts over water supplies in the Himalayas could go Nuclear so the large number (5) nuclear powers is a concern, as is the severe desertification of Iran

Republic of Nokota 50 percent.png

A new map of mine, amazing! Granted I started this one in February 2020 but I finally decided to finish it. While I originally had an in-universe write-up planned, I will summarize the concept here, since it's a pretty wacky scenario anyhow.

Basically with a vague point of divergence in the early 1990s, the world experiences a global pink tide starting in the late 1990s and culminating in the collapse of Canada and the transformation of the United States of America into the People's Federation of North America in the late 2020s. The PFNA, deeply committed to respecting local sovereingty, allows each major entity within the former USA the chance to secede and of the 50 states only North Dakota and Alaska follow up on that offer. However in the case of North Dakota, both the Lake Traverse and Standing Rock Indian Reservations rejected the idea of secession and thus stayed with the PFNA. In return for accepting this result however the PFNA allows the village of White Rock in South Dakota, as well as the lands between the Lake Traverse Reservation and North Dakota in which White Rock is located, to join North Dakota after the local populace requested it.

In the present day of 2036 Nokota (a name which North Dakota adopted in 2031) is an ally of the United Provinces of Rupertia, the largest of the Canadian successor states, but relations with the PFNA can't be considered warm. In general the northern fringes of North America are among the last areas of the globe where politics outside of the greater left spectrum are dominant. Nokota often sees itself as a successor-in-miniature to the United States, replacing its counties with state-like districts and maintaining a continuation of the old reservation system. Both Lake Berthold and Spirit Lake Indian Reservations decided without much controvery to stay within the country and while Turtle Mountain was more divided on the issue, it was ultimately decided that the members of the Ojibwa and Métis people who lived there and who rejected Nokotan secession could use the trust lands located outside of North Dakota, now known as the Leonard Peltier Chippewa Nation, which would become an autonomous entity within the PFNA.

It should be noted that the PFNA in 2036 includes significant parts of British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec, as well as the entireties of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and, since 2035, Cuba. It is a significant global force with good ties to most nations in the western hemisphere, while Rupertia (which since 2032 has unified with Alaska) with its smaller allies of Newfoundland & Labrador and Nokota has been sidelined.

You can download a full resolution version of the map over at my DeviantArt page.

Are mountain ranges different too?
Depends where it is. Since Europe is much cooler and wetter, the Alps and even Etna are more snow capped, as are the Atlas mounts which look more like OTL’s pre-industrial Pyrenees even in warmer times. Tibet is mostly the same albeit a bit wetter and snowier. Other mountain ranges tend to have more subtle differences.

Depends where it is. Since Europe is much cooler and wetter, the Alps and even Etna are more snow capped, as are the Atlas mounts which look more like OTL’s pre-industrial Pyrenees even in warmer times. Tibet is mostly the same albeit a bit wetter and snowier. Other mountain ranges tend to have more subtle differences.
I'm looking more at the Andes Mountains. In our world, the existence of the Andes played a crucial role in the creation of both the wettest and driest regions of the world because of their rain-shadows. However, I notice that rainforests west of the Andes creep into regions east of the Andes.

Status
Not open for further replies.