Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Western Balkans in 1453 (Yes, the Duchy of Saint Sava/Herzegovina was a tributary of... Aragon.)
1610351570509.png

Western Balkans in 1453 (Yes, the Duchy of Saint Sava/Herzegovina was a tributary of... Aragon.)
View attachment 615494
do u think youll do any earlier dates once you are done with this? i could really do with first half of the century, both pre and post treaty of troyes. i had made edits on it n the past that are passable so its not the end of the world if u arent, im just dont have enough of an eye for this to be confident with my line choices. ("have i distorted this right? is it that pixel or this one?" that sort of thing)

do u think youll do any earlier dates once you are done with this? i could really do with first half of the century, both pre and post treaty of troyes. i had made edits on it n the past that are passable so its not the end of the world if u arent, im just dont have enough of an eye for this to be confident with my line choices. ("have i distorted this right? is it that pixel or this one?" that sort of thing)
I mean, it's gonna be a while until 1453 is finished, because I am trying to make the whole world as close to perfectly accurate as possible... Maybe, no promises though. My pixels aren't perfect either, some of them will be slightly off in a direction.

aaa you're stealing what im doing noooo :( It's fine lol, and I do see quite a few mistakes and simplifications, I'm gonna make it myself anyway lol
Yeah, my intention is not to make a full map as you're doing, it's just that I had a few unfinished maps from that time and when I saw yours I decided to finish them. Don't worry, 1453 is yours :p

@oofo I would love some help with Sardinian internals :)
Sure thing. The Island was mostly divided into fiefdoms subject to King Alfonso.
1610395300600.png

Here is a very rough map, but its good enough for Q-BAM scale... purple areas are royal domains, and lands of the two most powerful lords, the Carroz in red and the Cubellos in yellow.

Oh, and, Aragon/Spain acquired Castiglione later, not by 1453. Castiglione was independent in 1453.
No, Castiglione della Pescaia was never under the control of Spain. It was taken in 1559 by Spanish troops, and given to Cosimo di Medici. However, Alfonso V and for a short time his successor in Naples, Ferrante, as part of that Kingdom.
See the link: here

View attachment 615494
There's some weird stuff going on in Albania... Zeta looks a little too large, it shouldn't extend down the East coast of Lake Skadar. Most of the Albanian lords were independent at this time, not under Ottoman control, and still nominally unified by the League of Lezhe led of Skanderberg. Skanderberg's Principality of Zeta was also a de jure vassal of the Kingdom of Naples as per the Treaty of Gaeta.

Sure thing. The Island was mostly divided into fiefdoms subject to King Alfonso.
View attachment 615593
Here is a very rough map, but its good enough for Q-BAM scale... purple areas are royal domains, and lands of the two most powerful lords, the Carroz in red and the Cubellos in yellow.

No, Castiglione della Pescaia was never under the control of Spain. It was taken in 1559 by Spanish troops, and given to Cosimo di Medici. However, Alfonso V and for a short time his successor in Naples, Ferrante, as part of that Kingdom.

There's some weird stuff going on in Albania... Zeta looks a little too large, it shouldn't extend down the East coast of Lake Skadar. Most of the Albanian lords were independent at this time, not under Ottoman control, and still nominally unified by the League of Lezhe led of Skanderberg. Skanderberg's Principality of Zeta was also a de jure vassal of the Kingdom of Naples as per the Treaty of Gaeta.
I couldn't find the best border for Zeta, yeah. Thanks for the Sardinian sub-divisions. And I know about the League of Lezhe, it was mostly a rebellion of sorts and I had to choose whether to show viyalets of the Albania sanjak, or to show the League of Lezhe. I chose to show the subdivisions of the Albania Sanjak, and I couldn't find solid info on the League of Lezhe's borders anyway. And ok, I will add Castiglione as Aragonese, but only the castle was Aragonese, the rest of the village was liberated by Piombino in 1449. edit: I fixed Zeta's border, and also adjusted Venetian holdings there. Also what is your source of Zeta being a vassal of Naples? Naples is Aragonese in 1453 so was it an Aragonese de jure vassal?

Last edited:
I couldn't find the best border for Zeta, yeah. Thanks for the Sardinian sub-divisions. And I know about the League of Lezhe, it was mostly a rebellion of sorts and I had to choose whether to show viyalets of the Albania sanjak, or to show the League of Lezhe. I chose to show the subdivisions of the Albania Sanjak, and I couldn't find solid info on the League of Lezhe's borders anyway. And ok, I will add Castiglione as Aragonese, but only the castle was Aragonese, the rest of the village was liberated by Piombino in 1449. edit: I fixed Zeta's border, and also adjusted Venetian holdings there. Also what is your source of Zeta being a vassal of Naples? Naples is Aragonese in 1453 so was it an Aragonese de jure vassal?
Not Zeta, the Principality of Kastrioti.

Here's a source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Gaeta

I say Kingdom of Naples because after Alfonso V conquered it in the 1440s he actually never went back to Aragon, and made Naples the administrative center of the Crown of Aragon, for the rest of his reign at least, it was split up after his death. And the treaty was signed with Alfonso as King of Naples, not Aragon, so that his successor in Naples, Ferrante, would enjoy the same influence. But yes, it would be an Aragonese de jure vassal for the sake of the map.

View attachment 615593

is there a higher-resolution version of the attached sardinia map? i can't seem to find it anywhere with a reverse image search

Not Zeta, the Principality of Kastrioti.

Here's a source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Gaeta

I say Kingdom of Naples because after Alfonso V conquered it in the 1440s he actually never went back to Aragon, and made Naples the administrative center of the Crown of Aragon, for the rest of his reign at least, it was split up after his death. And the treaty was signed with Alfonso as King of Naples, not Aragon, so that his successor in Naples, Ferrante, would enjoy the same influence. But yes, it would be an Aragonese de jure vassal for the sake of the map.
Ok, will do.

View attachment 616126
I'm working on 1848, i'm currently taking a break from my 1450 map as of now. I'M BACK BABY!
This is very cool! Your 1450 map was my inspiration :) This one is much better even! I know it's WIP, but you may want to fix the Caribbean lol, it wasn't all Spanish. Ollie Bye's History of the Caribbean, every year, is a great source to show who owned every island when.

Last edited: