Boldly Going: A History of an American Space Station

Good to see the shuttle back flying and at least some lessons learned. While the loss of almost all the commercial launches is Ariane's gain it should also kick off US commercial schemes of varying plausibility. While this is a bit before the USAF formally started the EELV program it was in the ether beforehand so that is also presumably in the future.

EELV didn't get a good kickoff until a Titan exploded as well which essentially put an end to the Air Force's insistence that Titan IV could 'carry the load' as a backup for the Shuttle. As it was OTL's Challenger accident was the driver to get Air Force funding towards developing and fielding the Titan IV LV as they had been forced to phase out the Titan III and Titan SLV due to the move of all payloads to the Shuttle. Refer to my above post as what essentially happened was the Air Force had to pay MM a hefty sum to pull the Titan production equipment out of storage, (rumors had it more than some had to be rebuilt) and re-start making Titan LV cores which was NOT cheap.

Despite the cost the Air Force pitched it as the Complementary Expendable Launch Vehicle, (as in a "complementary" system to back up the Shuttle) but it was clear that Titan was no longer, (if it every actually had been given that there were significant differences between the Titan missile and the later Titan LV's) a economic launch choice and the loss of one of the fist flights pretty much sealed the deal on needing a new ELV.

It is rather incredible that they thought they were gonna do this with just four shuttles, I mean I would be skeptical of the capacity of a fleet twice that size, though you'd probably need Aliens for that to happen.

They didn't think there would only be four Orbiters, they were supposed to be authorized six (6) "initially" with the parts of what became Endeavour OTL initially supposed to be Orbiter 05 and a refitted Enterprise being 06 but the funding wasn't there. When Challenger happened they pretty much asked Congress to authorize a new-build Orbiter in the hopes of squeezing at least two hulls out of the program but Congress denied it and they had to 'make-do' while they tried to finagle a "new" Shuttle program (Shuttle-II) out of the deal. No such luck since NASA also kept insisting that the STS had plenty of work and utility, (can't admit it's not working after all) and as noted they managed OTL to dodge a lot of the critical review findings and slide around the recommendations without admitting there was actually problems.

OTL they were also fighting some pretty quite but rather intense internal battles with factions that wanted to fundamentally change the STS, (Shuttle-II and alternate Launch Vehicle groups) along with people that wanted to enhance the use of the STS, (such as Shuttle C) along with groups that wanted more commercialized access if not actual NASA purchased commercial launch services. And OTL Congress was clearly not going to give them the money to do much of any of it and certainly not enough to do all of them. Still...

OTL we ended up limping along till the mid-90s when it became clear that the STS wasn't going to live up to the promise, we weren't going to get more Orbiters and there was little interest inside or outside of NASA in trying to significantly improve the STS so in rapid order we got the National Launch System program, the EELV program and finally branching out into "alternative" launch vehicles and/or access planning with some actual support. Unfortunately it also too till about then AND the loss of another Shuttle to finally break NASA from believing it had a duty/obligation to be the US space access "gatekeeper" and allow that other options MIGHT be possible and even desirable.

TTL NASA seems to have learned some of that lesson early and more importantly they seem to have accepted and internalized some of the right lessons and recommendations which is a very good start on actually making changes in a timely manner. Part of what made the "Shuttle" OTL so frustrating was it really WAS all about putting astronauts into space on every flight instead of even considering that the "Space Transportation System" was actually, (while flawed on many levels) actually a SYSTEM rather than a collection of parts that get an Orbiter into space.

NASA TTL is 'stuck' with Space Station Enterprise and that's actually not a bad thing because the thing that the Shuttle program lacked for the majority of its days was an actual 'mission'.
It was purposed initially as a 'secondary' aspect of a large Space Station program, (and we won't get into the rest of the IPP but suffice it to say even THAT was a very "small" part of the overall "PLAN" at that point :) ) to launch the components and then support that station. There was not going to be enough funding to build that giant space station so the "shuttle" became the "Shuttle" and ended up having to do a lot of jobs the space station was supposed to do. NASA compromised as little as possible in building and designing the Shuttle, and by that I mean they compromised the design to high-heaven to ensure they got the requirements they really wanted at the expense of 'requirements' (and some would argue practicality) they didn't see as a priority.
Manned operations every flight? Check. Large cargo bay for large Space Station modules? Check. There are dozens of others at varying levels of 'requirement' but frankly those were the two biggies and since they couldn't get a fully reusable, two-stage, manned flyback system then TAOS (if I haven't noted it that stands for Thrust Assisted Orbiter Shuttle) was likely the best option.

In theory it is a "system" of parts that support the Orbiter and help it get to orbit. (Note the capital letter there which tells you which part is the important bit :) ) The Shuttle was essentially a 1.5 Stage-To-Orbit vehicle with the SRBs providing enough thrust to get the whole assembly off the pad even if the main engines didn't fire. (Which is why the main engines light BEFORE the SRBs, because you can't shut them off :) ) The External Tank made the Orbiter smaller, (hence cheaper though there's arguments why 'bigger' would have actually been better :) ) by moving the propellant outside it into a disposable tank. The Orbiter meanwhile held all the "important" bits, crew, large cargo, oh and those expensive engines, and brought them all back home in the end. Now as a system it should be possible to change some aspects by clever design and construction. (Rockets are NOT Legos, but they still hurt when you step on them so there's some similarities ... Oh and you can 'swap' parts, it's just not easy)

Want to recover the engines? You can build a ballistic or lifting 'pod' to put them in and a 'strong-back' to carry the loading. Then replace the rest of the Orbiter with a huge cargo pod or even a lighter more economic Orbiter element. Switch out the SRB's for LRBs or even a single liquid, (don't panic but a single monolithic solid was considered :) ) booster stage. (Bit more on that in the next post) Still want to fly a crew AND cargo? Put a smaller, lighter, more economical 'glider' on top of the afore mentioned Cargo Pod. See? A system.

The "Problem"? Who's going to pay for and more specifically who's going to use it? When you mandate that all US launch traffic will use the STS but at the same time refuse to authorize enough Orbiters, (let alone pads, infrastructure and systems parts) to support that mandate? Congress wasn't going to support expanding the STS nor did NASA really want the to. They WANTED the "next Apollo" and kept pushing for that to be the Space Station, ("stepping stone to Mars" don't you know) and beyond but Congress wasn't biting. TTL there's a foot in the door but NASA isn't really seeing it until right this moment :)

Randy

Ok let me expand a bit on the single "LRB" idea.

The Saturn-Shuttle is a concept that was proposed and eventually rejected during the run-up to the Shuttle:
1610053782528.png

(From HERE)

Essentially an Orbiter and ET mounted on an S1C booster. Right off the bat of course is as designed the S1C is expendable AND expensive. It also had issues that while it didn't require as much 'conversion' of the pad, VAB, and infrastructure as OTL's STS did it wasn't exactly much of a cost or operational savings as Saturn V's were tough to launch. Now you CAN recover the S1C and there were ideas and proposals to do just that but it wasn't really designed for that and it wasn't going to be all that cheap. So what to do?

Well if you insist on it you can always put wings on it and call it a Flyback F1:
1610054767687.png

Or you could just say it was "Right Side Up" I suppose :)

Or you could accept that landing down-range and actually re-designing the S1C to be recovered, refurbished and re-used might make sense. NASA actually thought about that and asked several contractors to study it. Flyback F1 is one of those designs but with the expectation that the penalty, (and it's not huge but it's there) of wing-and-wheels, (along with jet engines and other bits) is acceptable. On the other hand several companies were also studying what were called the "Post-Apollo" Large Launch Vehicles. These were effectively "beyond NOVA" (and really far beyond Saturn) possible super-heavy launch vehicles that NASA would want should they be given the command to 'conquer and subjugate the known universe' while being given a budget to actually carry it out. (Spoiler alert: Didn't happen :) )

These monsters were things like the Sea Dragon, the Boeing HLLV, ROMBUS, Helious and others:
(Check em out here: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=39970)

Boosters with payloads of a million pounds to orbit or more. One was from a company called Convair and it was called the NEXUS:

Now in there report, Convair slipped something in. It was literally a paragraph and some line drawings but it's pretty clear it was both something Convair wasn't really pushing, (building NEXUS would obviously be a 'better' profit margin :) ) nor something that NASA seems to have been asking or looking for (having the budget and support to build NEXUS and all it implied would be the optimum outcome :) ) but it was something "somebody" thought of putting in. Maybe someone had actually listened to what was being said outside NASA and the Contractors :)

But regardless what they came up with was this:
1610055120528.png

To be clear those are both essentially "Saturn V" launch vehicles. The "standard" on the left but note the one on the right those engines don't look right, but yes whereas the "standard" Saturn V has the S1 and SII stages reaching 216ft high the "Saturn V-R" has the both at only 112ft. Now granted it went from 33ft in diameter to 50ft what it did is propose a fully-reusable S1 stage based on the work done on the NEXUS booster. (Arguably the SII is likely reusable as well but Convair only showed this and didn't address it)
What they did was take a Saturn V first stage an redesign the tankage, added a heat-shield and parachutes as so:
1610055470383.png

Now I'll grant you that going from mounting an ET (27ft in diameter) on a 33ft stage to mounting it on a 50ft stage might be a bit of a challenge, (and I'll probably play with some "cut-n-paint" work this weekend, but invite anyone else with better skills, {several billion I'm sure} to give it a go :) ) it's the kind of challenge that engineers are supposed to like so... :)

Randy

First, I am so glad to see all of the interest that we have in this TL, and thank you for all of the compliments on Part 4. I hope we have been able to drive home just how close the Shuttle program was to avoiding an SRB-caused Loss of Vehicle accident. The problem was known, the solution was known, and the process to fix it was already in place. If STS-51-L had not had the burn-through, it is likely that the Shuttles would have kept flying without issue until after the new sections were in use.
Er, there's a slight "problem" here in that as per OTL at the same point it was suddenly realized that there were NO "expendable" launchers in the pipeline anymore :)
This is not entirely correct. The USAF's CELV (Complimentary Expendable Launch Vehicle) program had picked the "Titan 34D7" (later the Titan IVA) early enough that the Titan production line was seriously slowed, but never completely stopped. Here, the same USAF pressures apply, and CELV is active when Discovery breaks up. I'd also note that in 1985 (so again before Challenger in OTL, and before Discovery in ITTL), the Reagan Administration started the process of allowing US launch vehicle providers to start selling launch services. Thus, even without a shuttle disaster, you can expect certain expendable launch vehicle production to return, even if it is at a low rate. The impacts on American vehicle production are something that we have mapped out to touch on...

Ok let me expand a bit on the single "LRB" idea.
The shuttle stack, as it existed in OTL prior to the PoD is one that has extensive interfaces with ground equipment. Major changes to the vehicle geometry would result in major costs to convert the GSE to support a new configuration. In the event we were not clear, the Return to Flight orbiter is functionally identical to that flown historically. NASA wanted and needed to get flying, and that means as few changes as possible...

First, I am so glad to see all of the interest that we have in this TL, and thank you for all of the compliments on Part 4. I hope we have been able to drive home just how close the Shuttle program was to avoiding an SRB-caused Loss of Vehicle accident. The problem was known, the solution was known, and the process to fix it was already in place. If STS-51-L had not had the burn-through, it is likely that the Shuttles would have kept flying without issue until after the new sections were in use.

It was a close run thing and in fact that's why NASA didn't actually 'learn' anything from it because like many of the problems that appeared during Apollo, (even after the fire) there were often 'fixes' or mitigations planned or in work but as long as the program kept on going...

This is not entirely correct. The USAF's CELV (Complimentary Expendable Launch Vehicle) program had picked the "Titan 34D7" (later the Titan IVA) early enough that the Titan production line was seriously slowed, but never completely stopped. Here, the same USAF pressures apply, and CELV is active when Discovery breaks up.

Yes but :) OTL the Air Force had incentive to push the CELV because NASA was continually dragging it's feet about them actually being allowed to FLY the Shuttle whereas TTL they got to which was a dis-incentive to push the CELV program. (Flat out they WANTED their own Orbiters and STS stacks and Reagan was supposedly open to the idea somewhat) The whole idea of the Shuttle at Vandenberg was so they could avoid interfacing with NASA for military payloads as much as possible and in TTL they got that somewhat so they would not have pushed CELV very hard and in turn MM has less incentive to actually keep the lines going or even in place. YYMV it's your story after all :)

I'd also note that in 1985 (so again before Challenger in OTL, and before Discovery in ITTL), the Reagan Administration started the process of allowing US launch vehicle providers to start selling launch services. Thus, even without a shuttle disaster, you can expect certain expendable launch vehicle production to return, even if it is at a low rate. The impacts on American vehicle production are something that we have mapped out to touch on...

Yep and in fact the US providers had tried and the only launchers that were selling were Scout, Delta and Atlas and they were struggling. Oh it was pretty clear that there was no way the Shuttle was going to be much of a commercial launch vehicle but that didn't matter because the 'bulk' of the launch market, (and money) was still the government who couldn't use "commercial" launchers. Delta was likely going to survive, so too with some luck could Atlas. Scout was being phased out as no one was taking light launch seriously anymore but Titan had no real commercial viability, especially once the Air Force was no longer allowed to use them so MM had no incentive to keep the lines in place though as noted they Air Force OTL had them 'slow-leak' the shutdown. (Hard as it is to see why but the Air Force had fully bought into the Shuttle whereas the NRO had not but the Air Force was the ones buying the launchers. Simply put the Air Force saw the Shuttle as their last hope of an independent, or at least semi-independent manned space program and therefore jumped full in. They only backed off when it became clear that they were not only never going to get their own Shuttles they were not going to get as many Shuttle flights out of NASA as they wanted either)

The shuttle stack, as it existed in OTL prior to the PoD is one that has extensive interfaces with ground equipment. Major changes to the vehicle geometry would result in major costs to convert the GSE to support a new configuration. In the event we were not clear, the Return to Flight orbiter is functionally identical to that flown historically. NASA wanted and needed to get flying, and that means as few changes as possible...

Oh that's a given and what I posted was FYI only. (Probably should cross-post to the LRB thread now that I think of it :) ) Just clearing up what was considered, (or not as the case maybe) for LRB's and why. As I noted above that NASA isn't going to have the budget, nor is Congress going to allow, major changes to the STS so NASA can only do the 'tweaking' they can get away with which is not going to be vastly different than what they already have. What IS different is that NASA has apparently actually heard and understood the issues and suggestions rather than mostly blowing them off as they did OTL after Challenger. Actually not that surprising since unlike the o-rings which had a 'fix' in the system this issue blind-sided them even though they knew and thought they understood the dangers. The o-ring failure can be attributed to a single, rare set of circumstances that can be pretty easily played off and 'fixed'. The actual issue TTL is one they were in fact looking for and institutionally and culturally missed to the tune of a lost crew and public/political confidence. This is the Apollo 1 fire all over again and WITHOUT the massive priority and pressure that had so arguably NASA has to take a moment and reflect. OTL NASA was still so filled with "go fever" and was able to grasp the 'straw' of the o-ring failure being a one-of-a-kind-and-its-something-we-are-already-fixing type event and keep-on-keeping-on. Not TTL.

Like I said I applaud the direction and writing :)

Ok, maybe a BIT disappointed the "Return-to-Flight" wasn't a nuclear powered, anti-gravity propelled, secret EDF battleship named the Arizona (just to be difficult :) ) but I'm willing to cut you guys some slack for the entertainment :)

Randy

Man, I love the IPP. Someone should do a timeline where an ASB forces it to get funded :)

And yep that's pretty much what it would take to get there :)
Oddly I'm leaning towards the fallout/meltdown from the IPP "fight" being worse than OTL to use as a POD for a more 'rational' space program. But I'm not sure if anyone available at the time is able to overcome the "Apollo" fever and IPP dreaming, (because that's really where the genesis of OTL's STS came from as a last gasp) that was so prevalent in NASA. Having it be "The Administrator" as a generic character seems to be a cop-out to me.

Randy

The whole idea of the Shuttle at Vandenberg was so they could avoid interfacing with NASA for military payloads as much as possible and in TTL they got that somewhat so they would not have pushed CELV very hard and in turn MM has less incentive to actually keep the lines going or even in place.
That is totally wrong.

The idea of the Shuttle out of Vandenberg was because you can't launch out of the cape onto a polar orbit without significant payload costs (on the order of 15-20 klbm for a shuttle relative to the same mission flown out of SLC-6 (and when you only have 27-32 klbm* to start from, that's a huge cut).

Furthermore, ITTL, there isn't a huge change to USAF launch planning, which means that CELV is still moving toward an inventory of 20 LVs at the time of the Discovery loss, and there is a small, but shrinking number of Titan 34Ds in the inventory (and that 34D-9 exploded on schedule).

So am I seeing correctly that Mir is not following OTL's timeline, then?
The Russian Soviet Space Station Mir is launched as the station we know and love/hate, only the US understanding of it was ever wrong. By the time Challenger launches on STS-36R for the Return to Flight mission, both the DOS-7 module and the 77KSD (Kvant-1) module are on orbit. There is at this point, no changes to the Russian Soviet program.

*Yes, my use of klbm has frustrated my co-author on more than one occasion. :biggrin:

Part 6: STS-37R sees Enterprise launch, beginning her first and final voyage
Boldly Going Part 6

With Challenger’s safe return to Earth after the successful return to flight, the vehicle and her flag returned to the Orbiter Processing Facility. Already, Atlantis and her flag waited in the VAB, mostly ready for their upcoming mission. Among other post-Discovery program changes was the requirement for a second orbiter to be available for an accelerated launch within the time required if an orbiter was unable to return to the ground. Thus, for the first time since “Skylab Rescue,” an entire orbital contingency mission had been prepared: orbiter Atlantis and the STS-300 “Launch on Need” rescue mission. Challenger’s safe return proved STS-300 unnecessary, and freed the largely-completed STS-300 stack (including Atlantis) for their nominal STS-38R flight - the crew launch to accompany Space Station Enterprise. However, while Atlantis was only a few weeks of normal shifts away from launch readiness on the second Shuttle mission since the disaster, its launch would have to work around the complex interactions as the VAB prepared a total of not one, not two, but three STS stacks.

While final preparations were completed on Atlantis’s STS-38R stack in VAB’s High Bay 1, High Bay 3 saw the assembly of the mission which would serve the STS-300 “Launch on Need” role for Atlantis in turn, with orbiter Columbia mated to a stack. In High Bay 2, however, the Kennedy Space Center staff had been slowly accumulating and preparing the results of the Space Station Enterprise Program Office’s efforts beneath the program’s own Manned Spaceflight Awareness banner. Marking the program’s hybrid nature, Space Station Enterprise had a flag nearly identical to the regular orbiters, but bearing a stylized version of the station’s orbital configuration instead of the orbiter OV-101 alone. The rest of the hardware making up the station’s profile had already arrived. External tank ET-007 had been delivered from Michoud in November of 1988, with the completed installation of the “hamster tubes” and the distinctive gleaming white orbital sealant, bearing the name Space Station Enterprise next to the NASA “worm” logo and an American flag stencilled onto the tank in three-foot-high lettering. Once lifted to mate to the SRBs, ET-007 only waited to be permanently bonded to the rest of the future station. In the Orbiter Processing Facility, the final elements of the assembly known as the “Space Station Enterprise core element” were being integrated even as Challenger led the Space Shuttle fleet back to space. The modified OV-101 Enterprise herself had arrived from Palmdale in April 1988, and had spent the last six months being permanently joined and checked out with the rest of the “core element,” including the Spacelab-derived and ESA-built “Leonardo Laboratory Module” (sometimes abbreviated LLM or “LeoLab”), the station’s airlock, and the Enterprise Power Module (EPM). These would be carefully crammed into the payload bay, stuffing it more densely than would have been possible for a standard orbiter’s capabilities and landing center of mass limits.

Because of the removal of OV-101’s internal airlock module, the forward cargo bay pressure bulkhead could be modified in turn to allow a direct, axial passage to the Spacelab module, unlike the elbows and extensions required for normal Spacelab launches. Thus, Leonardo would be attached directly to the aft bulkhead of the former Shuttle’s crew module, saving meters of valuable space. This enabled an extra “segment” of pressurized module to be inserted compared to the standard single or double-length Spacelab modules. Like with normal Spacelab, the first segment when entering from the forward end was the “core” segment, including equipment for sustaining and operating the lab, such as ECLSS, power, and controls. The first segment’s overhead, the side of the module facing out of the bay, was fitted with a window, used for observations of external experiments. The second segment aft was the “experiment” segment, including several drawers for mounting temporary experiments aboard the station and the overhead circular plug was filled by the experiment airlock, a small airlock intended not for crew but for exposing experimental samples. The new third segment added additional experiment spaces, such as a furnace and freezer, but also additional ECLSS. However, the most critical feature was its overhead plug, which mounted another APAS docking port for future station expansion.

At the aft end of the module, a duplicate of the forward cone transitioned to an airlock derived from the standard Spacelab mission airlock. Its placement at the aft end of the module meant that it could be used without interfering with passage between Leonardo and the former Orbiter’s crew spaces, which would now be used as the station’s habitat and control deck. Aft of that was a Spacelab external pallet containing the mounts for Marshall’s Enterprise Power Module, which would be folded out from the bay in flight to deploy four massive 120-ft long solar arrays providing the hungry station with a planned 50 kW of electrical power. This would feed the batteries buried beneath the cargo bay’s floor to provide 25 kW of average power over each orbit. Every remaining volume in the bay was filled with additional systems, such as OMS refueling arrangements, the forward and aft RCS interconnects, systems for refilling the station’s consumables tanks from inside the pressure volume using supplies sent up on future crew missions, and other systems which had to be painstakingly packed around the permanently-installed Leonardo Laboratory and airlock and the deployment systems for the EPM. Installing and testing these systems in the bay consumed the majority of the time OV-101 spent in the OPF, but while crews worked in the bay, others finished checkout of the orbiter’s own converted cabin. In the cockpit, the bulky flight seats had been removed and additional grab handles were mounted to better use the windows for observing operations in the bay and around the station in years to come. The new enhanced life support systems and the improved galley and hygiene stations on the converted middeck drew their own fawning inspection. Where once the exterior skin of the orbiter had been protected by tiles, now they contained the mounting points for the legion of EVA handholds and tether mounts which astronauts would install around the exterior of the Shuttle to enable easier work outside the station.

More than three years after the launch of the first modules of the Mir station which had helped to fuel the Shuttle-Derived Space Station project’s birth six years prior, the core of Space Station Enterprise was rolled out of the OPF in late May of 1989, joining her two sisters in the VAB for the first and last time. Once lifted and mated to ET-007 and her solid rocket boosters, OV-101 completed the major components of the station. Remaining work for technicians included the installation of the pressurized connecting tunnel between the intertank tunnels and Enterprise’s middeck, final checks of system functions, and the last filling of the station’s consumables. Technicians working to prepare the other orbiters welcomed the Space Station Enterprise preparation teams, if slightly uncertain of what to make of the strangely altered stack. Finally, nearly ten years to the day after Enterprise’s use for fit checks before STS-1, OV-101 once again rolled to a pad at Kennedy Space Center. With the hybrid shuttle-station on pad LC-39B, Atlantis and STS-38R was dutifully preparated on LC-39A, while Columbia’s crew prepared for their own hopefully-unnecessary STS-300 “Launch on Need profile.

On June 28, 1989, Enterprise (bearing the mission number STS-37R) waited on the pad for the second launch since the Space Shuttle’s RTF. Her flag flew on the pad for what was intended to be both the first and last time. If her launch succeeded, controllers would proceed to give their attention to getting Atlantis and her crew off the ground. While Enterprise was capable of opening her cargo bay doors (and thus exposing the station’s primary radiators) automatically, nominal deployment of the Enterprise Power Module would require the supervision of astronauts. In the launch configuration, only a quarter of the full solar array (a segment capable of generating 12 kW) would be capable of deployment. Though the power required to support the station with no crew aboard was reduced by two thirds from the roughly 14 kW needed on a normal Space Shuttle orbiter, the average power of the orbiter’s keep-alive systems and the single initially deployed wing would be roughly equal when averaged over an orbit. An extended duration and any unanticipated underperformance of the solar arrays or excessive power draw from the station’s systems could result in depletion of the batteries. Worse, If the initial wing failed to deploy properly, the station’s batteries (though oversized) would be drained by the station’s avionics and basic systems in just 72 hours. Thus, controllers would have a strict time limit to get Atlantis and the STS-38R crew up to the new station, and the plan was to launch Atlantis the same day if possible. With such constraints coming soon on the heels of the Return to Flight, tensions were high, and the pressure was on: if Atlantis wasn’t ready to fly, Enterprise should not launch.

The design of the station’s orbit was permanently shaped by some of the concerns about getting a crew to the station in the first weeks of operation. Three orbital bands had been considered for station operations. The first was the roughly 28.5 degree orbit which was “natural” out of the Cape, and thus offered the largest payload capability for Shuttles rising to the station in the future. This would allow future missions to such orbits (including Hubble Space Telescope servicing missions) to have the station as a backup in case a mission was unable to land on time. The second option lay around 57 degrees, an inclination which would allow overflight of the vast majority of the Earth’s population, as well as offering limited international operations with the Soviet Union and their stations, typically located around 52 degrees. It would also, potentially, allow for Space Shuttles launching from Vandenberg to reach the station, as 57 degrees was the lowest inclination the polar-focused launch site could offer given restrictions on External Tank and Solid Rocket Booster disposal zones. The third band was a compromise, located at about 39-41 degrees. This band would allow imagery of latitudes as high as 65 degrees, meaning the station would be able to image most of the continental United States (and, in turn, would be visible in the sky from the ground by almost all of the country’s population). However, the orbit offered the chance for launches from Florida to “thread the needle” on a southbound trajectory from Kennedy Space Center, flying along a gap in the Caribbean islands to allow a second launch window per day to the station’s inclination. With short launch windows for each attempt, having a second launch window per day would well more than double the chances for getting an orbiter launched to station, as the time between the two windows could be used for troubleshooting and resolving any minor concerns exposed during the initial window. With the criticality of getting the initial crews to station in the shortest possible time, the 39 degree orbit represented the best balance of payload capability, accessibility, and ground visibility for science, resulting in its selection as the station’s orbit around 1988, one of the major decisions about the station’s future during the post-Discovery stand-down.

Now, the benefits of the 39 degree orbit proved to be critical to satisfying the constraints of the station’s power system design. The first countdown on June 28th was aborted over concerns with memory faults in Atlantis computers, resulting in a two-day stand down while the memory units affected were replaced and tested. July 1st saw concerns with Enterprise herself, given issues with level sensors in ET-007, but the issue was able to be resolved by ground analysis in time for the alternate launch window the same day. With the problems resolved, Space Station Enterprise lifted off on July 1st, 1989--six years after the start of the program, and more than a decade after the orbiter at its heart had made the Shuttle’s first gliding flights. In attendance, among others, was former President Ronald Reagan, whose decision to demand NASA place a large station to work with Shuttle into orbit at the earliest possible moment was now being put to the test. Though the general mood in the press area was electric, the former president seemed beatifically calm as he watched the ascent. The boosters cut loose cleanly, and Enterprise’s computers smoothly throttled up the engines in the Space Shuttle program’s first uncrewed launch. Six minutes later, the three SSMEs cut out. The massive engines and external tank were no longer the launch vehicle, but instead payload and structural mass delivered to orbit for utilization.

Images by @nixonshead (AEB Digtial on Twitter)

Edit note: Original version of this post listed the solar arrays as 240 feet long, it should have been 120 feet.

Last edited:
Nice work—unexpected orbital inclination. I wonder if that means Mir will remain operational, since a joint US-Russia program will be harder to pull off.

The launch is exceptionally well-timed for Bush Sr.’s SEI, so I look forward to seeing how this impacts that.

Great pictures from @nixonshead. Though I thought the solar panels would be tucked into fairings where the wings went IOTL—rather than the former wing roots being flush as in the pictures. Where exactly are the panels stored during launch? In the payload bay? Or along the orbiter belly?

Great pictures from @nixonshead. Though I thought the solar panels would be tucked into fairings where the wings went IOTL—rather than the former wing roots being flush as in the pictures. Where exactly are the panels stored during launch? In the payload bay? Or along the orbiter belly?
The solar panels are in the payload bay, mounted on an ATM-like Power Module designed by Marshall.