The 90's and Dieselpunk

Over the course of the 1990's there was a surprising boom in dieselpunk films starting in 1989 with Tim Burton's Batman. That lasted all the way into the early 2000's with Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Which bled into other forms of media ranging from video games like Crimson Skies to anime including The Big O.

So what caused this general interest in dieselpunk over the course of the 90s and why was it so popular?

One Dieselpunk video game (or rather sort of Dieselpunk) that I can think of that came out in the 90's is Metal Slug: Supervehicle-001, with it's pseudo-WWII setting and hardware in spite of having stuff made after WWII, like 1960's helicopters and assault rifles. And I mention this since the developers took inspiration from some Miyazaki material, of which had the same dieselpunk vibe in them (Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, and the Daydream Notes).

My favorite dieselpunk movies both came out from the 90's. The Shadow which was based off of 1930's pulp novels that would go on to inspire the creation of Batman & The Dark City, that while it was undermined by the Matrix was a major source of inspiration for the original Bioshock.
One Dieselpunk video game (or rather sort of Dieselpunk) that I can think of that came out in the 90's is Metal Slug: Supervehicle-001, with it's pseudo-WWII setting and hardware in spite of having stuff made after WWII, like 1960's helicopters and assault rifles. And I mention this since the developers took inspiration from some Miyazaki material, of which had the same dieselpunk vibe in them (Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, and the Daydream Notes).
I loved playing that game as a kid over at the local pizza joint. Always felt like someone had mashed WW2 and Vietnam together in terms of tech.