Status
Not open for further replies.
Past Free Africa we come to the Empire of Drakia itself.
It survives? GODDAMNIT
Including some Drakensis, to their fury and sometimes suicidal depression.
I can only imagine their pain and suffering.
This is not the end of history- history does not end. There is no Final Society, there will never be a Final War. But it is an end, and- as Zheng watches not the first but the third test of a brand-new weapon- also a beginning.

The Thermonuclear Age is dawning.

Who knows what it will bring?
Oh god; does America have atomic weaponry yet?

Well that was...bleak. although I did really like the ending, it turned out much better than Canon Draka, and if I'm being honest much much better than my own Draka story,

I do love how Societism survived and changed, but yeah. Neither sibling claimed the 21st century in the end, one just managed to barely get their house in order while the other only survived by the skin of their teeth.

Deleted member 96212

Phew! 140,000~ words, 295 pictures, and a year and a half of writing and we are finally at the end.

To think that I originally envisioned this as map series! :lol:

Thanks to all of my readers for your encouragement and feedback.

I'm going to reread The Space Pirate King, build up a bit of a buffer for it, and then get it launched again- on SV only I'm afraid. It was a difficult decision, but while I will continue to follow TLs over here and post occasionally, for personal reasons I am transitioning my writing away from AH.com.:teary:

Happy New Year, y'all! :)

Excellent job! Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, what are some scrapped ideas or roads not taken that were mapped out but not utilized in the TL? All the dice rolls make me wonder how different the entire TL would be if things had gone differently, or if it could've ended prematurely.

So how do you think this version of Drakia would have fared against the Fey from Dystopic Return of Magic if they invaded ITTL late 19th century?
I was literally reading that timeline when you said that. wowzers.
Anyhow not very well; Drakian industry is located in the southern core of Africa. Only that would survive; and with incredibly thin supply lines...

Across the Atlantic are three more members of the restored Alliance for Democracy- Scandinavia, the Netherlands, and Ireland. Ireland in particular is grappling with the thorny question of what to do with Britain, now that the larger island has been repopulated (albeit not to former levels) by surviving Britons, Irish immigrants, and refugees from elsewhere- mostly the Dutch. Cornwall voted to become an autonomous part of Ireland, and some have suggested direct political union under Dublin may be the best route for Britain. This is staunchly opposed by Free Britain- the Situationist government based in Douglas, Mann and controlling Wales, Northumbria, and northern England- most of whose inhabitants are British survivors of the Stone Dogs torn between full-independence from Ireland and support for a loose confederation of the British Isles a la New France. Scotland is leaning towards the loose confederation option, while England- a plurality of whose population are Dutch refugees- is split between those who want to follow Cornwall in becoming part of Ireland, and those who want it to become part of the Netherlands.
*laughs in Gaelic irony*
For real though, that is quite the irony to be left holding. A confederation with Scotland and Cornwall with an English satellite state spun off as their own puppet seems like the best solution for all, as I deeply doubt anyone in Dublin wants the English having a say on Irish affairs ever again
The Netherlands itself is doing poorly, alas. It survived the Final War and beat back a Pact invasion only to succumb to a much older enemy- the waves of the rising Atlantic Ocean. What’s left of the country is essentially a massive evacuee camp concentrated around the capital at Maastricht. Large numbers of Dutch climate refugees have fled abroad to form a Dutch diaspora centered on England, Germany, the Rhenish Republic, France, and America.
The war against the eternal enemy is not over, the Dutch are merely taking time to regroup before a renewed offensive
This is not the end of history- history does not end. There is no Final Society, there will never be a Final War. But it is an end
jy0dfacm4zb31.png

Bleak but not as bleak as I was expecting. The world is severely battered and bruised and dealing with scars it may never recover from but still alive at the end of the day. Sad that so many bastards seems to still be kicking about but I guess that's the price that must be paid for avoiding total extinction. Let us hope that China and the Free World do not slip into the evil they hope to destroy and replace one Dragon with another

And this crazy world enters the next phase of its crazy history...

Anyway, this is a great ending to a great (if often depressing) timeline! It was always pleasant seeing a new update, since it was always hard to predict what would happen in the next chapter.

Not sure how I feel about Situationist CHina becoming more... cynical. THeir idealism was rather heartwarming to see in the world, and now it seems to have gone alongside the ANthropocene Extinction. Still, at least they're a billion times better than Drakia's vestigial empire.

Great work. Thanks for wrapping it up with this broad overview. I can't help but wonder what that status of the moon is. Are they still focused on survival or have they entered an expansion phase?

Wow, it's so weird for this series to be over after all this time. What a cast of characters! The ending was hardly a "glorious final victory" on either the geopolitical or the ecological front, but just like in our own world, the only thing to do is to keep on keeping on, doing what one can to improve the conditions of the present to secure the survival of future generations of humanity. The death toll was shocking to read even though the global population was already lower than OTL, so really just having anything resembling a stable world order is an impressive achievement. For that matter, the political reorganization of Africa was good to see after so many decades under the Drakian boot, and although none of the new nations seem like particularly nice places to live, many of them seem like they'll do well enough in the future. Having a moderate "Islamic State" was a nice touch as well! As sad as I am that this is the end, I really enjoyed the journey and you truly did justice to its conclusion. Peace!! 😁✌️

Loved the ending and the whole TL overall. It is one of the few I've seen that accumulate enough divergence to actually talk on the climatic and geographic effects of the events described (which I plan to do in my TL should it ever leave its current hiatus), which I'm a big fan of. Some scientifics concepts are a bit twirky and borderline-implausible, but hey, OTL technological developement makes no sense anyways, I feel this is a fact in TL's that is not as exploited as it can be and it has a huge potential. Overall like the TL due to its fluidity and diversity. It introduces a lot of concepts and divergences enough for them to build a coherent world but not so in depth for them to be a burden to the TL's rhythm, which I consider great. Covering 200-ish years in roughly 50 chapters is no easy feat (tried a couple of times), but I'm a fan of such fast-paced relatively-well-detailed TL's, specially when the divergences pile up into a radically different world. Truly one of the most remarkable TL's on the site IMO.

Phew! 140,000~ words, 295 pictures, and a year and a half of writing and we are finally at the end.

To think that I originally envisioned this as map series! :lol:

Thanks to all of my readers for your encouragement and feedback.

I'm going to reread The Space Pirate King, build up a bit of a buffer for it, and then get it launched again- on SV only I'm afraid. It was a difficult decision, but while I will continue to follow TLs over here and post occasionally, for personal reasons I am transitioning my writing away from AH.com.:teary:

Happy New Year, y'all! :)
Congrats on finishing the timeline. It was a wild ride following this one.

I keep hearing people talk about SV, but I've never checked it out. Might do so in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.