Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

"Spartacus" should still be made with little difference but there won't be the controversy of having Dalton Trumbo who was blacklisted writing the screenplay.
So instead of Red-baiting the "I'm Spartacus" is now Kraut/German-baiting? Analogy that it supposedly was?

That, or Gerta's meeting with George Lucas. (Since the first Star Wars movie drew upon another Kurosawa movie: The Hidden Fortress.)
That would be my guess. I don't know when Lucas first had the concept for Star Wars but I know that he was pitching the concept at the same time he was pushing American Graffiti in 1971 so 1969 is in the right time frame.

IOTL "The Godfather" novel by Mario Puzo has just come out and Paramount Pictures has already bought the movie rights to them.
Francis Ford Coppala is co-writing the screenplay for "Patton" which will come out in 1970, Robert Altman is directing "MASH" which will also come out in 1970.
This is just a small sample of works that will not be made ITTL or if they are made it will be instead of the American movie "Patton" it will be a German movie about Walter "Mad Dog" von Horst, "MASH" is a German movie to but nowhere as cynical as the American movie.
"The Godfather" is as someone suggested could be a romanticized fictional account of the Organization led by Otto Mischner as with J. Edger Hoover becoming crab food ITTL and being replaced as FBI Director by Elliot Ness means that there is a much earlier crackdown on Organized crime in the United States.

Actually on the subject of Japan...it wasn’t mentioned, @Peabody-Martini , but did Japan manage to retain Southern Sakhalin/Karafuto and the Kuriles ITTL? I mean, I doubt Russia would have been in a position to demand them back (former enemy of Germany still rebuilding...)

Von Horst life has been pretty colorful, son of french immigrant mother who ressented him for enlisting to German Army at the begining of first world war, he's risen into NCO rank and became a mentor for Emil Holz and August Lang the future German Armed Force chief of staff and the future german Chancellor respectively. Horst unit also became one of the first unit to met their adversary peacefully as ceasefire were announced. He married half native american half danish girl who later became education minister of her region. And those only his life until the end of world war 1. In my opinion Von Horst story is the more unique and relatable than Rommel, who start as CO and rose to become the chief of staff.

J. Edger Hoover becoming crab food ITTL and being replaced as FBI Director by Elliot Ness means that there is a much earlier crackdown on Organized crime in the United States.

Speaking of this...

@Peabody-Martini I guess that John Aleshire has not done too much to f*** things up per say and is probably more Americanized than a German-intelligence plant now?

Speaking of this...

@Peabody-Martini I guess that John Aleshire has not done too much to f*** things up per say and is probably more Americanized than a German-intelligence plant now?
I think he is the best kind of sleeper agent now, probably never even thinks about being a German agent. Best to let sleeping dogs lay unless you REALLY need to wake them. Especially if Schultz didn't record him, in which case the BII or BND wouldn't even know about him.

John Aleshire is someone you keep in the cold only to be used in a dire emergency.
He is not passing any information or doing anything for the Germans right now and only one or two people in the BND has his name and code name.
The last time it was posted that he was directed by German Intelligence to do something for them it was to go after a rogue agent that Germany wanted silenced which was also in the best interest of the Americans.
He may never be exposed as German agent unless something goes seriously wrong...

John Aleshire is someone you keep in the cold only to be used in a dire emergency.
He is not passing any information or doing anything for the Germans right now and only one or two people in the BND has his name and code name.
The last time it was posted that he was directed by German Intelligence to do something for them it was to go after a rogue agent that Germany which was also in the best interest of the Americans.
He may never be exposed as German agent unless something goes seriously wrong...
He's probably the luckiest and most useful person in the story that no one really knows about.

I am really looking forward to the chapters when Germany's ultra-top-secret-burn-before-reading sealed files begin to be released to the public. Although some of them probably have 'Never to be unsealed' written on them. Still, I can see at least one BND/BII archivist sneaking a peak...

Archivist (peering over their shoulder): 'I wonder what's in this one...'
(Opens file, reads a few paragraphs, swallows and shakily re-seals the file): 'Oh. My. God. If this gets out it could trigger WW3!'

Later that night, the archivist wakes drenched in sweat after a nightmare involving the end of the world and, for some reason, penguins.
Archivist: 'Thank God, just a nightmare.'
Shadow in the corner: 'Oh good, you're awake. Get dressed, you read something you REALLY shouldn't have, so your being transferred and dress warm, Antarctica can be on the chilly side at the best of times.'

I am really looking forward to the chapters when Germany's ultra-top-secret-burn-before-reading sealed files begin to be released to the public. Although some of them probably have 'Never to be unsealed' written on them. Still, I can see at least one BND/BII archivist sneaking a peak...

Archivist (peering over their shoulder): 'I wonder what's in this one...'
(Opens file, reads a few paragraphs, swallows and shakily re-seals the file): 'Oh. My. God. If this gets out it could trigger WW3!'

Later that night, the archivist wakes drenched in sweat after a nightmare involving the end of the world and, for some reason, penguins.
Archivist: 'Thank God, just a nightmare.'
Shadow in the corner: 'Oh good, you're awake. Get dressed, you read something you REALLY shouldn't have, so your being transferred and dress warm, Antarctica can be on the chilly side at the best of times.'
Unless, the future archivist is someone we already know...

"Ahhh, yes. That was one of the few operations your Mother wasn't involved in Ms Mischener-Blackwood. Now, given your family ties, we can count on your discretion can' t we"?
"Good, some say that this file is cursed, of course that's utter rubbish, why, the last person who opened enjoyed a significant career boost as the chief archivist of the Royal Mission to the Antarctic, a post they seem loathed to leave"...