X4 Color Scheme

So far I'm 522 colors in. Not bad, considering the areas I've finished began with 211 colors in total (a 147% increase). Debating on what my next move will be. I think I'll slowly begin working on the behemoth that is Europe. Wish me luck!

Sample of Russia. Now to await the obligatory complaint for including oblasts, and yet not labeling them as oblasts.

X4 Russia sample.png

Kick
complaining
Not complainings but remarks. I just don't understand why don't you listen to the advices. Mate I live in the country we are talking about. I do know that this approach is not applicable here.
For example why you have Lipetsk as separated colour? It was founded only 300 years ago. It hadn't got any very specific meaning before communists made it into administrative centre in 1954 year.
But you prefer not to point every historical province, every russian principality, every slavic tribe, every very unique indigenous ethnic group of our land. Why do you make it this way? Only because you can't understand that not in all countries administrative divisions = historical regions? Or because you are westerner who is used to "one size fits all"? That seems soooome bit like cultural supremacy

But you prefer not to point every historical province, every russian principality, every slavic tribe, every very unique indigenous ethnic group of our land. Why do you make it this way? Only because you can't understand that not in all countries administrative divisions = historical regions? Or because you are westerner who is used to "one size fits all"?
Or.... It could be that I simply haven't gotten around to completing the research necessary to finish the historical associations of these regional colors, and that their representation as modern federal subjects on the X4 are a temporary solution whilst said research is ongoing. You will do well to remember that the X4 is a work in progress, even the sections that are posted here as "final products" are not the final product. My main concern at this time is complete the color scheme to such an effect that I can begin my next map series, and as such my focus has been on including as many 19th and 20th century states as possible. The inclusion of Russian federal subjects with their own colors is along the same lines as previous color schemes, including the X2/3, of having US states and Canadian provinces. I've already done this expansive take on Australia, and have begun to do so with China as well. These nations are all quite well known for being federative, and many ATL projects revolve around major federations balkanizing. So, the inclusion of, heaven forbid, Lipetsk, is more a nod to ATL map makers than it is to any OTL maps. I must remember my target audience for this color scheme is housed primarily in a place called Alternative History Forums.

And with that, I am quite through arguing with you. I'll ask that you please refrain from pestering me with queries as to why I added this and not that from now on. I will no longer respond to any such comments henceforth.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Not complainings but remarks. I just don't understand why don't you listen to the advices. Mate I live in the country we are talking about. I do know that this approach is not applicable here.
For example why you have Lipetsk as separated colour? It was founded only 300 years ago. It hadn't got any very specific meaning before communists made it into administrative centre in 1954 year.
But you prefer not to point every historical province, every russian principality, every slavic tribe, every very unique indigenous ethnic group of our land. Why do you make it this way? Only because you can't understand that not in all countries administrative divisions = historical regions? Or because you are westerner who is used to "one size fits all"? That seems soooome bit like cultural supremacy
Wow.

Over-reacting much?

This is now your second trip to the bench for blowing up over a map.

I suggest you either reduce the over sensitivity to a member made map or avoid map threads.

Kicked for a week.

Jesus Christ. I've been using the X2 scheme since it came out, but I had no clue it was expanded. And I thought it was too big back then. Is there a download I can get of the whole thing put together, or do I need to just put all the tiles together myself?

Jesus Christ. I've been using the X2 scheme since it came out, but I had no clue it was expanded. And I thought it was too big back then. Is there a download I can get of the whole thing put together, or do I need to just put all the tiles together myself?
I believe this is still in progress- you may need to wait a while.

I am so sorry for the late reply! I do keep the most recently updated version on my DeviantArt, and you can find that ongoing project HERE.

As far as the X-2/3 goes, the X-3 merely includes the addition of climate, biome and elevation colors to the original X-2. The X-4 is me adding a butt ton of new colors to the basic model. I am not the original designer of the X-2/3, that honor belongs to @Ashtagon, I simple stand on the shoulders of giants and add my oar.

And yes, this is very much a work in progress. I don't expect I will finish until late 2021.

I've been thinking if an alternative version spread out over a horizontal scale is possible as well, just like the DCS or TOASTER or THICC schemes currently use.

I've been thinking if an alternative version spread out over a horizontal scale is possible as well, just like the DCS or TOASTER or THICC schemes currently use.
Eh, honestly I think one of the hallmarks of the X-type color scheme is its fully-vertical construction. To abandon that would be to simply become an oversized color scheme. :p

Decided to trade out the Uyunid Caliphate (which will share Bahrain's color now) in favor of a dedicated Asir/Saba color. Other than that, not much change to Arabia.

Arabia fix 1.png

Eastern Europe is done. Here is the X4 so far, 699 colors in. Seeing as how the finished sections began with 261 colors, this is pretty dang sweet. Edited a few other areas, like an ANZAC union and a Greek state in the Mid East. Will be working on the rest of Europe next.

EDIT: Whoops, somehow placed a sum inside of Poland's base RGB. I think it's all fixed now. Getting pretty big, takes about ten seconds to scroll from top to bottom.

dea1al3-7c76937a-7e11-4e78-915b-ff5cdf652d7f.png

Last edited: