The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

1606197620404.png

like this?

2020 sub.png

• Brought back my Austria
  • Fixed Quebec/Labrador border
  • Added Norway and Sweden subs
  • Added Malaysia subs + island of Labuan (let me know if you think it should be removed)
  • Made Turkey more consistent
  • Gave up trying to do northern Krasnoyarsk Krai, someone else please do it

Should Russia really be divided on its federal districts?

The federal districts (Russian: федера́льные округа́, federalnyye okruga) are groupings of the federal subjects of Russia. Federal districts are not provisioned by the Constitution of Russia and are not the constituent units of the country, but exist purely for the convenience of governing and operation by federal government agencies. Each district includes several federal subjects and each federal district has a presidential envoy titled a Plenipotentiary Representative of the President of the Russian Federation in a Federal District.

From Wikipedia, bolding mine.

To be fair on the map the federal subject borders do have the standard color.

Yes, but isn't kind of like making the US Midwest a great subdivision? Russia's federal districts are only used for regional coordination as far as I know.

So while others work in the max-subidivision map, I went the opposite way, so to say and made a more basic, 'cleaner' 2020 map, for when you want a basemap but don't need all those subdivisions:

2020.png

This map shows only the subdivisions of countries with a federal system, with the exceptions of Spain, China, South Africa, Italy, and Indonesia (which have quasi-federal systems) and some other odds-and-ends like the autonomous province of Vojdovina in Serbia. I've also added the federal subdivisions of Venezuela. The main exception here is Switzerland, but I believe showing it's subdivisions is pretty much impossible in the scale of the worlda.

Remember, this particular map is NOT designed to show every and all subdivision. This is designed to be a clean, mostly accurate basemap for people to make their own maps, which should be the aim of the worlda, IMO. But I welcome comments.

Meanwhile, I found this ancient (2011) map in my files with a good deal of subdivisions, for the maxi-subdivision map. Be warned that they are most probably inaccurate; I had to fix some when I added Venezuela:

sregan_basemap_08.12.11_present_maxidivisions.png

I've also noticed that most, if not all of the new worlda maps cut the North Pole, it's minor, but a little annoying... EDIT: Did a quick fix for that. Still, that means to go back in every map and fix it...

Last edited:
Alright, this is what I have for 500 BC. It might not be perfect and if you could fix it I would be grateful.

BC -500.png

Last edited:
Alright, this is what I have for 500 BC. It might not be perfect and if you could fix it I would be grateful.

View attachment 602257
That's quite good. I hate to nitpick, but need to...

1) According to archaeological records, an offshoot of the La Teen Culture had already settled in to the northern Po Basin, merging with the pre-existing Golasecca Culture. By this time, the area is in the process to turning from a tribal confederation of more or less organized villages to a proto-state in which the various chieftains answer an high king. I'd suggest a lighter shade of the La Tene Celtic color south of the Alps, roughly between what is now the Swiss-Italian border all the way to present-day Milan and Melzo.
2) Melzo should be Etruscan in this period, but that's unconfirmed.
3) I'm reasonably sure there was something in Spain too, but I have no further information.

That's quite good. I hate to nitpick, but need to...

1) According to archaeological records, an offshoot of the La Teen Culture had already settled in to the northern Po Basin, merging with the pre-existing Golasecca Culture. By this time, the area is in the process to turning from a tribal confederation of more or less organized villages to a proto-state in which the various chieftains answer an high king. I'd suggest a lighter shade of the La Tene Celtic color south of the Alps, roughly between what is now the Swiss-Italian border all the way to present-day Milan and Melzo.
2) Melzo should be Etruscan in this period, but that's unconfirmed.
3) I'm reasonably sure there was something in Spain too, but I have no further information.
Thanks for your critique.

View attachment 602257
looks really nice! the only thing i can say with any certainty however, is negative... the celts having an ethnogenesis in central europe is an outdated model. its just the art that came from there, we dont know where exactly the language and religion came from, but it's now thought to be from elsewhere, maybe even the atlantic bronze age culture but thats just a guess based on how there's no evidence for an invasion into britain/ireland from this time. really its a nitpick, because those guys are still going to end up celts, and are still going to pass on their material culture to the celtosphere. im all for adding in archaeological material cultures to the otl maps, its just that i think we should be careful about the colouring

looks really nice! the only thing i can say with any certainty however, is negative... the celts having an ethnogenesis in central europe is an outdated model. its just the art that came from there, we dont know where exactly the language and religion came from, but it's now thought to be from elsewhere, maybe even the atlantic bronze age culture but thats just a guess based on how there's no evidence for an invasion into britain/ireland from this time. really its a nitpick, because those guys are still going to end up celts, and are still going to pass on their material culture to the celtosphere. im all for adding in archaeological material cultures to the otl maps, its just that i think we should be careful about the colouring
Somewhere in France probably, like you mentioned possibly the Beaker Culture. I mentioned northern Italy and Spain because there the most ancient proof of a Written Celtic language have been found, namely in Spain some tombstones (dubious attribution) and a drinking cup near Arona, Northern Italy (the cup itself, or a reproduction, is exposed in the Archaeological Museum in Arona; I mention that because I live in the same zones, I've actually seen the cup so I'm talking about the things I know best). Since, the Celtic origin of the Tombstones is not certain, the Arona cup is the most ancient example of written Celtic that we currently have.
Basing myself on what I've seen and read in the Museum's exposition, the Insubrians where a Celtic people coming from Eastern France, that merged with the pre-existing Golasecca Culture, the more advanced local culture of the Bronze Age (the Castelletto Sopra Ticino Museum shows something about that too, though it lacks such a clear exposition as that of Arona).
The Insubrian Kingdom is mentioned as such by a latin Historian, Livy if I remember correctly, as founded by a "King Bellovesus" sometimes around the time of Servius Tullius. It extended north of the Po river, between the Sesia and Adda River, all the way to St.Gottard Pass in the Swiss Alps. The Golasecca Culture is 400 to 600 years older, and extended a little further East, to the River Brembo for sure and maybe, just maybe, the Adige but don't quote me on the last tidbit.
There was an even more ancient Canegrate Culture, but not much more is known about that.

EDIT: Bellovesus is mentioned as the founder of Milan (Legend, unconfirmed). Said foundation was dated around the 570s by an article in an article about archaeology that appeared in a local paper, though that's mostly speculation on the writer's part and is not mentioned anywhere else

Last edited: