AH Timeline: Shining Above, A Phoenix Suns 90s Dynasty

Should the Timberwolves relocate, if so where?

• Stay in Minnesota

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • New Orleans, LA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Louis, MO

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Memphis, TN

• Louisville, KY

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Anaheim, CA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Game 6 1993 NBA Finals Final Moments Bulls @ Suns
Everyone thought this shot was going in, that John Paxson would be hero and give the Chicago Bulls their 3rd straight NBA title. That Charles Barkley and his Phoenix Suns would be defeated in their quest for a championship. Here's Marv Albert's call of that shot.

"Here's Paxson for three! No good rebound by [Dan] Majerle and he is fouled with 3.2 seconds left. That shot was in and out!"

The shot had went in and out. Marjerle went to the line and made both free throws to put the game away and force a game 7 the next night.

Final Score: Chicago Bulls 96 @ Phoenix Suns 100

Game 7 of the 1993 NBA Finals
June 21, 1993

Chicago Bulls @ Phoenix Suns (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Attendance 19,023

1st Quarter
CHI 17-PHX 30

The Bulls would score the first points of the game, on a 25-foot jump shot by Michael Jordan. But Phoenix would come out strong going on 11-0 run at one point in the quarter. Chicago however would be unfazed by this getting back-to-back 3 pointers from Scottie Pippen to end the quarter

2nd Quarter
CHI 21-PHX 37

The second quarter would see the Suns blow the game open. Kevin Johnson seemed to be hitting everything from everywhere on the court. Surprisingly, Charles Barkley was not hitting as many shots as Suns fans hoped. The Bulls seemed to have gone cold from 3-point land. Pippen would however keep Chicago in it by again hitting some threes near the end of the half

Halftime Score
CHI 38-PHX 67

3rd Quarter
CHI 33-PHX 8

The Third Quarter would strike fear in the hearts of Suns fans everywhere. Early in the Quarter, Kevin Johnson was tripped by B.J. Armstrong causing Johnson to fall awkwardly. He would leave the game just 55 seconds into the third Quarter. Without him, the Bulls began to whittle away at the Phoenix lead. Meanwhile, the Suns looked demoralized and began playing poorly, especially against Michael Jordan and other Guards on the Bulls.

4th Quarter

We enter the fourth Quarter of game 7 with the Suns hanging on by a thread. The Bulls were on a roll, having out-scored Phoenix by 25 points in the 3rd. Chicago would continue their offensive onslaught, scoring the first 8 points of the quarter to take just their second lead of the game, and their first since they lead 6-4 early in the first quarter. That's when Suns head coach Paul Westphal called a time out to reorganize his teams defense. All of a sudden, the Suns started to wake up on defense, but they did not score in the period until the 4:37 mark on a jumper from Dan Majerle. It would continue to go back and forth between both teams. With 5 minutes to play the game was tied at 88 when the crowd at America West Arena went wild. Kevin Johnson had returned form the locker-room despite his ankle being in lots of pain. All of sudden the Suns offense started to explode going on a 14-2 run to take a 12 point lead with a minute left. Both teams would score again before the buzzer sounded to end the game and the series. The Suns had done it, coming back from a 3-1 series deficet to defeat Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls 4 games to 3 to win the teams first ever championship and the city of Phoenix's (and the state of Arizona's) first ever pro sports title.

Final Score Chicago Bulls 91 @ Phoenix Suns 106
Suns win NBA Finals 4-3

Last edited:
This should be a fun one, especially if Barkley is the focal point of the dynasty.

Plus, ITTL’s memes of Jordan blowing a 3-1 lead, what could be better!

Love this TL idea. Dan Majerlie is underrated both as a player and coach. I also want to see the Round Mound of Champsionships (imagine the TNT Set ITL!). Also, those Suns Unis were lit in the 90's.

This should be a fun one, especially if Barkley is the focal point of the dynasty.

Plus, ITTL’s memes of Jordan blowing a 3-1 lead, what could be better!

Love this TL idea. Dan Majerlie is underrated both as a player and coach. I also want to see the Round Mound of Champsionships (imagine the TNT Set ITL!). Also, those Suns Unis were lit in the 90's.

OriiGiins: Barkley will probably be the focal point of team moving forward since he won MVP this year just like IRL.

Laxault2020: Marjerle is underrated as a player and coach, had a very solid career as a player but could not get over the hump IRL. Round Mound of Championships will be one way to put Barkley's career in this world, oh the TNT set would be juicy but I think you'll like what happens a little down the road. And those Suns unis were amazing in the 90s! Growing up in the Phoenix area back then, me and my family would always go to games at the America West Arena (now Talking Stick Resort Arena). Game 6 of the '93 finals was actually on my 4th birthday (worst birthday present ever!)

The 1993 NBA offseason is next! Stay Tuned.

1993 NBA offseason part 1: Draft Lottery and other sports in 1993
Ernie Johnson Jr: Hello Everyone I’m Ernie Johnson here covering the NBA Draft lottery here on TNT. Let’s go to NBA commishener David Stern right now.

David Stern: Welcome to the 1993 NBA Draft Lottery:

The 11th Pick goes to the Denver Nuggets

The 10th Pick goes to the Orlando Magic

The 9th Pick goes to the Detroit Pistons [from Miami]

The 8th Pick goes to the Golden State Warriors

The 7th Pick goes to the Detroit Pistons

The 6th Pick goes to the Minnesota Timberwolves

The 5th Pick goes to the Philadelphia 76ers

The 4th Pick goes to the Milwaukee Bucks

The 3rd Pick goes to the Sacramento Kings

The 2nd Pick goes to the Dallas Mavericks

And the 1st Pick goes to the Washington Bullets”

Johnson: So the Washington Bullets will be picking first in this year’s draft which is headlined by Anfernee Hardaway, Chris Webber & Shawn Bradley projected to go 1, 2, 3 in the upcoming draft. Dallas will pick second and Sacramento will go third.

Other sports in 1993
NHL

The Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1967 defeating the Boston Bruins 4 games to 2 in the Stanley Cup Final. The series was highlighted by Doug Gilmour scoring a beautiful overtime goal in game 6 to win the cup in which he skated around Ray Bourque and Don Carpenter and deked Andy Moog to send Maple Leaf Gardens into a frenzy.

MLB

The Atlanta Braves win their first World Series Since 1957 defeating the Chicago White Sox in the World Series 4 games to 1.

1993 NBA offseason part 2: The Draft
June 30, 1993
The Palace Auburn Hills, Michigan

David Stern: Welcome everybody to the 1993 NBA Draft. The Washington Bullets are now on the clock

(A few moments later)

Stern: With the First Pick in the 1993 NBA draft, the Washington Bullets select, Anfernee Hardaway, guard from Memphis State.

(Later)

Stern: With the Second Pick in the 1993 NBA draft, the Dallas Mavericks select, Chris Webber, forward from Michigan.

With the Third Pick in the 1993 NBA draft, the Sacramento Kings select, Shawn Bradley, center from Brigham Young

We have a trade to report. The Milwaukee Bucks have traded the fourth pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for A.C. Green

With the Fourth Pick in the 1993 NBA draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select Jamal Mashburn, forward from Kentucky

We have a trade to report. The Philadelphia 76ers have traded the fifth pick to the Denver Nuggets for Dikembe Mutombo

With the Fifth Pick in the 1993 NBA Draft, the Denver Nuggets select Vin Baker, forward from Hartford

Other notable picks

Allan Houston goes to the Timberwolves at 6

Sam Cassell goes to the Trail Blazers at 21

Nick Van Exel goes to the Pacers at 39

Notable undrafted players

Bruce Bowen and Bo Outlaw

1993 NBA offseason part 3: Expansion news and predictions for the 1993-94 Season
Associated Press
July 4th, 1993

It may be Independence Day in America, but the NBA announced today that 2 new franchises will begin play in the 1994-95 NBA Season, both will be located in Canada. Toronto and Vancouver will be granted franchises to begin play that season. The Toronto franchise will play at Maple Leaf Gardens and the SkyDome. Vancouver will play at Pacific Coliseum for their first season while a new arena is being built in the city for them and the National Hockey Leagues Vancouver Canucks which should be finished in time for the 1995-96 season.

Other Offseason news

• Michael Jordan retires from Basketball due to the killing of his father James in North Carolina this summer. He is rumored to play baseball in the spring of 94 with the White Sox showing interest in the two-time NBA champion. The Bulls, who lost the NBA finals after losing a 3-1 series in last season’s finals vs the Phoenix Suns, said they support Jordan’s decision to retire from the NBA.

OriiGiins: Barkley will probably be the focal point of team moving forward since he won MVP this year just like IRL.

Laxault2020: Marjerle is underrated as a player and coach, had a very solid career as a player but could not get over the hump IRL. Round Mound of Championships will be one way to put Barkley's career in this world, oh the TNT set would be juicy but I think you'll like what happens a little down the road. And those Suns unis were amazing in the 90s! Growing up in the Phoenix area back then, me and my family would always go to games at the America West Arena (now Talking Stick Resort Arena). Game 6 of the '93 finals was actually on my 4th birthday (worst birthday present ever!)

The 1993 NBA offseason is next! Stay Tuned.

Ha that is a terrible bday present. But that's a great story.

Since your from the area, you happen o know why Majerle was fired by GCU? From what little I new, they seemed on the up and up.

Shawn Bradley feels like a Kings player. Maybe he'll be at home in the fields around Sactown. While its not the focus of the TL, pairing him up with another big man would be fun. Somehow Bradley and Sabonis (if he crossses earlier ITL) feels right.

Also, Jail Blazers with Sam Cassell? Sign me up (for the TMZ special).

Bulletts with Hardaway also feels really right.

How are Patrick Ewing and Zo Mourning doing? The world needs a Ewing+Barkley twin towers...

@Laxault2020

1. I actually live in Tucson so I just really follow UA most of the time. He probably got fired because he didn’t win when it mattered most. As far as I’m concerned, they share a conference with Gonzaga so...

2. Sabonis will come in at some point in this universe just don’t know to whom.

3. Patrick Ewing is still well... Patrick Ewing. The Knicks look like the favorites in the East in 1993-94 with MJ retired. (For now)
In the case of Zo Mourning, he stays in Charlotte rather than bolting for Miami. Him and Larry Johnson should be fun to watch next season.

1993-94 NBA predictions in Sports Illustrated
1993-94 NBA season predictions - New York, New York! [Sports Illustrated]

Eastern Conference
1. New York Knicks
2. Chicago Bulls
3. Charlotte Hornets
4. Boston Celtics
5. Cleveland Cavaliers
6. New Jersey Nets
7. Orlando Magic
8. Indiana Pacers

Western Conference
1. Phoenix Suns
2. Houston Rockets
3. Seattle SuperSonics
4. Utah Jazz
5. Portland Trail Blazers
6. San Antonio Spurs
7. Golden State Warriors
8. Los Angeles Clippers

Eastern Conference Final
New York Knicks 4 - Chicago Bulls 2

Western Conference Final
Seattle SuperSonics 4 - Phoenix Suns 2

1994 NBA Finals
New York Knicks 4 - Seattle SuperSonics 1

(Predicted 1994 NBA champions)
New York Knicks

Sports illustrated, October 1993

1993-94 NBA season standings
1993-94 NBA regular season standings

Eastern Conference
1. New York Knicks 58-24 (Atlantic Division Champions)

2. Cleveland Cavaliers 53-29 (Central Division Champions)

3. Charlotte Hornets 50-32

4. Chicago Bulls 50-32

5. Indiana Pacers 48-34

6. New Jersey Nets 45-37

7. Miami Heat 44-38

8. Orlando Magic 41-41

———————————————————————-
9. Atlanta Hawks 40-42

10. Boston Celtics 37-45

11. Washington Bullets 31-51

12. Philadelphia 76ers 28-54

13. Milwaukee Bucks 25-57

14. Detroit Pistons 17-65

Western Conference
1. Seattle SuperSonics 62-20 (Pacific Division Champions)

2. Utah Jazz 57-25 (Central Division Champions)

3. Phoenix Suns 60-22

4. Houston Rockets 54-28

5. San Antonio Spurs 52-30

6. Portland Trail Blazers 50-32

7. Golden State Warriors 49-33

8. Minnesota Timberwolves 40-42

———————————————————————-
9. Los Angeles Clippers 38-44

10. Los Angeles Lakers 37-45

11. Denver Nuggets 30-52

12. Sacramento Kings 26-56

13. Dallas Mavericks 23-59

Rumor mill: Despite making the playoffs for the first time this season, the Minnesota Timberwolves could be relocating out of the North Star State. Potential locations include New Orleans, LA, Louisville, KY, St Louis, MO, Memphis, TN and Anaheim, CA

Last edited:
1994 Western Conference First Round: Phoenix Suns vs Portland Trail Blazers
I will be doing this for every Suns playoff series. Taking a more in-death look at the series between the Suns and there opponent. First up in the Suns quest for a re-peat is Portland.

G1: POR 86 @ PHX 97 (America West Arena, Phoenix, AZ) Suns lead series 1-0

Charles Barkley would have a huge second half dropping 29 points, including a deep 3-pointer to Ice it with 1:33 left in the 4th quarter. The round mound would lead all scorers with 40 points. Cliff Robinson would lead Portland with 32 points

G2: POR 90 @ PHX 114 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Suns lead series 2-0

Phoenix got a thunderous dunk from Kevin Johnson off the opening tip and never looked backed, taking it by 24. KJ dropped 27 more points on the Blazers as the Suns took a 2-0 series lead heading to Portland.

G3: PHX 103 @ POR 106 (Memorial Coliseum Portland, OR) Suns lead series 2-1

The Trail Blazers looked a lot better on their home court, taking a 17 point lead into halftime. The Suns would try to come back, but Clyde Drexler’s game high 36 points were to much for Barkley and the Suns.

G4: PHX 128 @ POR 121 (OT) (Memorial Coliseum Portland, OR) Suns win series 3-1

This game would have a wild ending. The Suns lead by as many as 13 in the fourth quarter. Portland would come back, though and take a 4 point lead with 21.5 second left. That’s when Danny Ainge would hit a 3 pointer to cut the lead to 1. After two missed free throws from Buck Williams, the Suns would come back and hit a 3 from Dan Marjerle to take the lead with 2 seconds to play. Portland called its last time-out, inbounded the ball to Terry Porter who hit a game-tying jumper from the free throw line at the buzzer to send it to overtime. In overtime however, Portland would run out of gas as the Suns went on to win it by seven and take the series 3 games to 1.

Other NBA playoff action
Western Conference
(1) SEA 3 - (8) MIN 0
(4) HOU 3 - (5) SA 2
(3) PHX 3 - (6) POR 1
(2) UTH 3 - (7) GS 1

Eastern Conference
(1) NY 3 - (8) ORL 1
(4) CHI 2 - (5) IND 3
(3) CHA 3 - (6) NJ 2
(2) CLE 3 - (7) MIA 2

Would really appreciate some comments. Feels a little lonely here without some.

If I would have found this earlier, I would have suggested having the Richard Dumas for Rodman trade in the fall of 1993 go through. Or, if I started it from the beginning, I would pick it up at the 1987 draft lottery, and have the Suns get David Robinson, not the Spurs (they would have moved as a result).

If I would have found this earlier, I would have suggested having the Richard Dumas for Rodman trade in the fall of 1993 go through. Or, if I started it from the beginning, I would pick it up at the 1987 draft lottery, and have the Suns get David Robinson, not the Spurs (they would have moved as a result).
Never thought of that. I might consider doing that later on

I'm not sure on MJ still retiring despite losing in the finals, but considering his dad did die I guess it still makes sense. Other then that I'm glad Sir Charles gets a ring, especially one he stole from the Bulls XD.

1994 Western Conference Semi-Final: Phoenix Suns vs Utah Jazz
G1: UTH 109 @ PHX 108 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Jazz lead series 1-0

The Suns had a 19 point lead with 3:27 left in the third quarter, but the Jazz come all the way back to pull within 2 with 2.6 left in regulation and one last chance to win it. John Stockton inbounds the ball to Jeff Hornacek who (to the shock of everyone watching) hits a 3 from about half court to win the game and give Utah the series lead.

G2: UTH 108 @ PHX 111 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Series tied 1-1

Game two was the mirror of game one, with Phoenix again blowing a second half lead to Utah. But this time the Suns manage to hold on, winning by 3 thanks to a clutch dunk from Charles Barkley on Jay Humphries with 7 seconds left to avoid a re-peat of game 1.

G3: PHX 98 @ UTH 125 (Delta Center Salt Lake City, UT) Jazz lead series 2-1

The Suns were great, but the Jazz were even better. John Stockton and Karl Malone both had triple-doubles, with Malone posting a 56 point game. Phoenix's defense just let the Jazz score at will in this one.

G4: PHX 112 @ UTH 101 (Delta Center Salt Lake City, UT) Series tied 2-2

Phoenix managed to hold Stockton and Malone to less than their usual numbers in this one. The Suns looked better than in the first 3 games as Barkley, Richard Dumas and Kevin Johnson all managed 30 points a piece as the Suns got a spilt in Utah and a tied series back to the Desert.

G5: UTH 99 @ PHX 103 (OT) (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Suns lead series 3-2

Game 5 again featured a team blowing a lead late in the game. This time, the Jazz blew it as they lead by 16 at halftime and by 9 at the end of the third quarter. The Suns however would go on a 16-1 run to begin the 4th. The Jazz however would not give up, taking a lead late. Phoenix would force overtime though, and they would go on to win by 4 in the extra Quarter.

G6: PHX 85 @ UTH 78 (Delta Center Salt Lake City, UT) Suns win series 4-2

Both offenses took the night off apparently, with Barkley, Stockton and Malone having poor games. The Suns bench though, would have a big game, outscoring Utah's bench 29-18. The Suns will face the Seattle SuperSonics in the Western Conference Finals, who eliminated the Houston Rockets in 5 games.