Do you approve or disapprove of the way that Douglas MacArthur is handling his job as president?

• Approve

Votes: 199 72.6%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 75 27.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But not flying ovet UN held territory. 'MiG Alley' was NW North Korea by the 'do not cross' Yalu
That is true. I should have included that. Those pilots were only allowed to fly over North Korean territory where there was almost no risk of them being captured by UN forces.

He remembers the stuff that got him into trouble in WW2, whether his self-control is good enough to keep him from doing something stupid impulsively is another matter.
I can't imagine otherwise. Probably an obsession to make Doug's face go red. 😏 If I had my way and be able to see such a useless landing I would rather send Patton with his jeep just beyond the beach and drive up to Doug as he embarks as if Patton won a mediaeval race.

What about a press conference in a nice mountain some miles north of Inchon ?
"And there 10 miles inside our own lines you can see General Mac Arthur landing at Inchon"...
I remember a Marine Landing where the Marine Hovercrafts had to avoid Reporters and Camera on the beach a few years back.
Could see a Korean War Version of that event

Something tells me Patton will be putting together his own intelligence gathering apparatus, given his mistrust of Mac’s gang. I’m guessing he’ll be more receptive to reading signs of Chinese intervention, and reacting accordingly.

ric350

I was thinking that it happen during a peace keeping exercise in one of the African nations .
But it could have been Panama .
How about Somalia in the transition from Bush to Clinton. Bush didn't want it (could see the potential for "A Black Hawk Down" scenario but Bill did.

Soviet and PRC pilots did indeed fly combat over Korea. In fact, the top scoring ace of the Korean War was a Soviet pilot.
Just another example of the limited nature of the UN/US response.
Man i wonder how will patton react upon hearing this
He will have a choice of two reactions "Yes Sir" or :Bye Sir" We know his desire to fight the Soviets We also know Truman and the Joint Chiefs desire not to fight the Soviets. The danger you have here is both MacArthur personally want to expand the war, Controlling two lose cannons on deck is going to be a balancing act. Especially Patton since he is in a better position to start something.

Spoiler alert: after the UN presses north, the invading Commie hordes are obliterated under the destructive might of the world's first ever black hole bomb--Patton and Mac are bundled up together and airdropped, each being told that the first one to contact the ground will become the first ever 6 Star General
Fairly sure that counts as a war crime under the Hague convention x'D

Oh this is an interesting tl i hope you touch on the un forces (like the uk,turkey even ethiopia) and the air battles in korea (i heard soviet pilot flew combat mission in korea i wonder how will patton react if a soviet pilot got shot down and survives?)
Glad you like it :)
I'll see what I can do regarding the rest of the UN, although my focus is going to remain on 8th Army HQ and MacArthur (there's hundreds of interesting characters I could look at, but including all of them would drag the TL out too much - plus I'll run out of stanzas from the poem to begin each chapter with!)
A Soviet flyer was downed and IIRC captured about September 4 OTL (chapters 9 and 10 had other things I needed to cover, so let's just say that guy doesn't get shot down ITTL), but Patton will have a lot to say when one is found.

The main thing I'm looking forward to is the Chinese intervention. I'm betting Patton would be expecting them to intervene the farther north the UN forces get so I don't think he gets caught off guard. I am expecting the UN forces to get pushed back still but not nearly as bad as OTL and likely staying farther north of the 38th.
After Inchon that's the next big thing in the story!

Something tells me Patton will be putting together his own intelligence gathering apparatus, given his mistrust of Mac’s gang. I’m guessing he’ll be more receptive to reading signs of Chinese intervention, and reacting accordingly.
He's been doing that since the day he got there. Didn't you notice I only very rarely mention Willoughby any more?

What if the British commander of the Uk's Un Contingent turns out to be a rival of Montgomery's?
Basil Coad only has a brigade. If Patton thinks he is getting annoying he can easily stick the British in some section of the front where they won't interfere with whatever he wants to do.

He will have a choice of two reactions "Yes Sir" or :Bye Sir" We know his desire to fight the Soviets We also know Truman and the Joint Chiefs desire not to fight the Soviets. The danger you have here is both MacArthur personally want to expand the war, Controlling two lose cannons on deck is going to be a balancing act. Especially Patton since he is in a better position to start something.
I already feel sorry for Harry Truman ITTL and I haven't even started writing that part yet!

- BNC

Basil Coad only has a brigade. If Patton thinks he is getting annoying he can easily stick the British in some section of the front where they won't interfere with whatever he wants to do.
- BNC
So, no Kapyong then? When the British and Australian units held the entire Chinese advance for 48 hours while the Americans "bugged out"? Shame, it was a heroic action.

Spoiler alert: after the UN presses north, the invading Commie hordes are obliterated under the destructive might of the world's first ever black hole bomb--Patton and Mac are bundled up together and airdropped, each being told that the first one to contact the ground will become the first ever 6 Star General

Our second, actually.

Blackjack Pershing was our first and only... given the star so he could circumvent Wilson as Commander in Chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.