Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these truces and armistices make sense and some don't. It's true that Drakia has no real capacity for a sustained attack on the US, let alone an occupation. But the US in turn has not ability to launch offensive operations against Drakia. I get the desire for declaring victory, but do they need America's recognition to do so? As a totalitarian regime can't they completely control the internal narrative. And externally can't they simply claim that they have decapitated America and there is no functional government left to accept a surrender from? Giving any concessions requires some fear damage if the war isn't officially ended, or a conscience. We haven't been given evidence of the first and the second is completely out of character for the country that just launched a pre-emptive orbital bombardment of the world to cover up its pre-emptive biological attack which together resulted in killing over half the global population.

It didn’t though. Chapter 39 makes it clear that in the 3 cases where Allaince and Pact bases are close enough for ground combat, only one was lost by the Alliance while the other one fought off a Drakia assault and the other was a Drakia base that surrendered. The rest of the moon falls under Alliance control soon after as the Drakia bases get cut off from their supply lines.
Shit. I conflated the Lunar Mandate and Drakia's Continental Imperative. My bad.

Fixing.

What was the average human lifespan at the beginning of the Final War? Depending on how successful life extension has been in the Seperateverse, Klein may have a longer time on this Earth than we think.

At this point he's just so damn old, I presume he's like "well, better do what's left of America a favor before I kick the bucket, they really damn need it"

xsampa

Banned
Could Free China and what’s left of Southeast Asia serve as the endpoint for a nuke manufacturing chain as uranium mined from Bolivia is shipped across the French Pacific to IndoChina and shipped into China?

Guys, don't forget Kleins last act was a positive modifier for the US role. That means in all likelihood he's planning on backstabbing the Draka asap and did this so there would be a US left to fight.

Guys, don't forget Kleins last act was a positive modifier for the US role. That means in all likelihood he's planning on backstabbing the Draka asap and did this so there would be a US left to fight.
The rolls were for the deaths from Stone Dogs. Klein's last act secured vaccines which will reduce future American deaths. Whether he backstabs or not, the modifier has been applied.

Only fourteen months? That's shorter than I thought, I was expecting at least 5-10 years of Drakian domination post the Final War. I guess the future is either total anarchy or China as the hyper power.

I wonder what's going to happen to Russia once Drakia implodes. Might the Scandinavians and Irish try to drive them out of occupied Europe? Also isn't Russia's population far smaller than OTL?

It also occurs to me that Ireland might just annex the former United Kingdom, which would be bitterly ironic.

Klein's roll modifier would have applied even if the USA rolled much better, so presumably he'd somehow get them the vaccine even if the country was too intact for him to (nominally) take over. So I doubt he's a true believer in Drakia's cause at any rate.

I too am curious about the state of Russia. How badly were they hit, compared to Drakia? Are they going to have another slugging match with China after those 14 months?

So once again we are left to wonder what the true motives of Klein are -is he in it for the US or for himself or both ? Surely Dart knows that Klein actually controls very ittle of the US and for him to provide the Americans the Stone Dog vaccines mainly on the basis of Kleins word alone confirms that despite all appearances the Drakia are in fact human-they are capable of fooling themselves into wishful thinking...
Dart thought the Final War was a REALLY GOOD IDEA, and he considers the current outcome a decisive success. So I doubt he's entirely in touch with reality. Probably genuinely thinks Klein will bring true societism to the entire CONUS within the year.
Could Free China and what’s left of Southeast Asia serve as the endpoint for a nuke manufacturing chain as uranium mined from Bolivia is shipped across the French Pacific to IndoChina and shipped into China?
Doesn't China has its own uranium reserves? But in general I suppose there will be a lot of trade between East Asia and Latin America. Most intact parts of the world, seemingly.

It also occurs to me that Ireland might just annex the former United Kingdom, which would be bitterly ironic.

While the UK has suffered 70% casualties while Ireland is around 5% unless the demographics are really different from OTL they are still 3 to 4 times more British people than Irish so any union would be British dominated in due course.

Lithuania fought to the death, so did Janosik’s men in Poland, but they lacked the numbers hold on their own

Hungary weighed its options as Drakian forces advanced from former Rumania, and surrendered to spare what was left of Hungary’s civilian population further suffering. The emergency government of the Czech State- already coping with the loss of a third of its population and barely in control of Prague- threw the American ambassador out a window when he tried to convince them to fight, and presented his body to the Russians. In exchange for a crate of vaccines, the promise of more, and some help restoring order, the Czechs became Drakia’s newest martial race and their country the Empire’s newest princely state.

The truth was that Free China was in turmoil.
Very saddening news. :(
including a certain elderly ex-naval officer who had come out of retirement to advise her)
Klein is still alive.
none of that prevented Jeremy Dart from declaring victory from his Jerusalem bunker
This might have a religious angle for some on the AFD, the man who is destroying the world, Jeremy Dart is hiding in Drakian-occupied Jerusalem.
The Final Society lasted for almost exactly fourteen months.
The sole good news on this update.
They were made in (implicit) consent of Klein as a part of his plan.

Wait a minute. does that mean the shit he just pulled is EBR's "Klein's Last Act?". Considering the US was still being bombed he may have just spared the rest of the country from further bombardment.

From what I've read, betting Klein's realm calls itself Societist so the vaccines could flow.
I hope it's just a ruse to get the vaccines, while setting up an emergency and reconstruction government to be able to fight back against Drakia.
Their New America, the American Empire won't make the mistakes of the past, it will be strong and guided by a single, wise, individual, someone the see in the mirror every morning. So the emergency measures become permanent, a new Constitution is written. Service Guarantees Citizenship.
An autocratic government is inevitably victim of its reliance on a leader (who often will turn out to be incompetent, with no regular avenue of replacement by its population).

Quick thought: will most of the surviving Free states allow polygamy (those who don't already) to accelerate demographic recovery? I assume that, even if Stone Dogs are gender blind, the overall losses must be fairly skewed toward males.
It might depend on the gender ratio of survivors and the level of population losses (and even it might occur, it will likely be temporary).

I just want to say as a general compliment that Klein really has been cementing his place among most memorable fictional AH characters for me pretty much from his first appearance in the story. EBR has created a very interesting character there and you just know that something interesting will happen whenever he pops up in the narrative. Klein being succesful in his military adventure against Drakia is also probably one of my favourite WIs inside AH stories I like to ponder. (The American Thalassocracy FTW!)

Last edited:
Damnit Arthur Klein which side are you on? probably his own side. Given it's his "last act" I doubt his "Empire" will do much, but even if it survives I expect his Societism-In-Name-Only to turn its back on Drakia the moment things go sour.
In my opinion, i think this America-Drakia split will look a look like Sino-Soviet Split, Unfortunately.

Also, realized something: Antonovich is still alive, isn't he, even if he is on his last legs, so to speak. Maybe the fall of the Final Society could be caused by Antonovich's death, because of his successor thinking Russia can now stand tall and strong once more?

xsampa

Banned
Also, realized something: Antonovich is still alive, isn't he, even if he is on his last legs, so to speak. Maybe the fall of the Final Society could be caused by Antonovich's death, because of his successor thinking Russia can now stand tall and strong once more?
The Drakian gave Germany, Rumania and Kurdistan and have proved they can invade Russia before

The Drakian gave Germany, Rumania and Kurdistan and have proved they can invade Russia before
The Drakian military was down to 38% of its prewar forces before launching its post-apocalyptic offensive. In that offensive the Chinese dropped a dozen nukes on bases, supply depots and troop concentrations throughout the Middle East. The Drakians unsuccessfully threw themselves multiple times at the defensive lines in Europe. Even the successful invasion of Long Island came at some cost. Drakia is in no state for an invasion of a largely intact country, which I believe Russia still is. A Drakia that doesn't collapse would most certainly return and level Russia in a decade or two, but it will be struggling to keep the lights on and bondsmen subdued at home for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.