Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he'll be killed by a Drakian before China even finishes recovering.
Poppycock. We all know it’ll be the Irish unveiling their superweapon, destroying the Pact of Blood and uniting the world under the green,white, gold, and harp banner!

Klein announced that he was declaring himself “Caesar of the new American Empire”, a Societist government for America, and suing for peace with the Empire of Drakia and the Pact of Blood.
How societist are Klein and his new “empire”? Is he a believer or just paying enough lipservice to get the Drakia to ease up?

How societist are Klein and his new “empire”? Is he a believer or just paying enough lipservice to get the Drakia to ease up?

Can you really call a wrecked chunk of New England an Empire? I suspect at the moment they aren't societist or democratic at all but solely focused on basic survival and building some institutional capacity.

So, "survivalist" then.

Individuals have Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

2560px-Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs2.svg.png

But so do countries, right now North America is fixated on basic physiological needs; safe food, clean water*, shelter for those who have fled cities. In more stable, rural areas they have probably stepped up to providing safety needs and basic law and order though New York and other major urban areas are probably in a state of mostly depopulated anarchy. You're not going to start worrying about ideology, whether that comes in the form of organising democratic elections or rewriting the school curriculum in a Societist way until you are a long way up the pyramid.

If everyone else leave North America alone for a while you will probably have the successor governments gradually expand into the vacuum until there is some sort of show down between them.

Klein’s American Empire controlled only a small part of New England close to its capital at Plymouth and its legitimacy was rejected by two other major factions who claimed that they were the real government of America.

I think it's safe to say that Klein's government is probably the most authoritarian and generally societist leaning even if they aren't genuine, ideological, societists. But he's an old man and even if he doesn't get killed by either a disease or a rival he's not going to live very long and who knows what direction his successor will take things. There were two dice rolls between Stoker and Dart.

*Because Stone Dogs won't have been the only bioweapon used, everyone has weaponised Anthrax for a while and the Drakians will have used some very nasty varieties.

Last edited:
Klein may not be a genuine societist, but I doubt he isnt going to be very authoritarian, if not totalirarian even, he is the same man who worked many years with the Drakians after his failed expeditions.
Luckily he is too old to make his "empire" anything able to survive for any significant amout of time.

Klein may not be a genuine societist, but I doubt he isnt going to be very authoritarian, if not totalirarian even, he is the same man who worked many years with the Drakians after his failed expeditions.
Luckily he is too old to make his "empire" anything able to survive for any significant amout of time.
He will have to be authoritarian just because of the "restore order" issue.

If the "American Empire" gains steam at all it would be purely as the reactionary American Whites (and, in America, we mean whites) trying desperately to militarially purge the continued American successors who have bound themselves at the hips with the Situationist W.I.T.C.H covens and Rodinist Home Guards as united front resistance to Societism/Nazism a la the Maquis and the French Resistance. Otherwise, it's less a government and more a half-baked mutiny with delusions of grandeur.

it believed that with 27% of its pre-war industry, a military reduced to 38% of its pre-war size, a handful of space bombers flying from a pair of partially repaired bases, and a single functioning space gun that remained hidden from the bombardment, it was powerful enough to roll over what little remained of its enemies.
Oof, Drakia's going to have to work hard for it's victory

Another bomber also reached Africa on a one-way mission to destroy the Empire’s sole remaining space gun. This effectively annihilated the Noble Race’s forces in the east and ended any chance of an invasion of India.
And China strikes again!

“Today,” the Archon announced, “is the first day of the Final Society.”

The Final Society lasted for almost exactly fourteen months.
Victory disease coming to bite Drakia back in the ass.

It's far from a true victory.
China, India and Latin America (under La Plata command) are still there (with a bunch of smaller satellites). And they all know that the Draka NEED to be utterly destroyed and that the ceasefire can't last. They're can't let the Draka rebuild their space guns, bomber fleet, stockpiles of bio and chemical weapons, or worse create their own nukes (which would eventually happen if there's a new cold peace).

So except if they're under the Stupid Virus, those countries WILL restart the war as soon as the Stone Dogs crisis is managed.

That, or the Draka themselves will restart the war in 14 months (instead of maintaining the ceasefire and playing the long game) because of victory disease.

He will have to be authoritarian just because of the "restore order" issue.

All the governments in the badly hit countries are going to be lacking in democratic legitimacy and dependent on a considerable degree of compulsion for the short term. The question is whether it really is a short term expedient and they will have proper, free, fair elections as soon as practical or whether the "emergency government" dependent on "temporary martial law" will still be around in a decade's time.
What path any given government ends up walking depends on a list of factors including the character of the people running the show, Klein is an authoritarian inclined weathervane but you might have someone like de Carvalho in the hot seat. Outside interventions will play as role as well, La Plata for example might make further aid to the Brazilian emergency government dependent on moving towards democracy, or it might not, the Drakians have got a Societist government in Czechia for the cost of a couple of shipments of vaccines. The attitude of the population will also be relevant, it's much easier to solidify an authoritarian government in a badly hit area with a short/weak democratic history than in a lightly hit area with a long history of liberty.
And then you've got the snowball effect. Lets say Klein uses the vaccines the Drakians have given him to consolidate power over a large chunk of North America and then two or three years after dies before he can make any real move towards either consolidating things in either a democratic or societist direction.
His possible successors will be drawn from those elements of the US military that have backed him. One option is a figure who genuinely wants to step down as soon as practical but the right moment never comes, because his democratic successor might give the people what they want rather than what they need and throw away all his hard work getting America back on it's feet, so the emergency government keeps on going. When he dies after ten years running things, well it's been a while since there was democracy in America and things really have got a lot better in the last dozen years.
So the third leader of the American Empire is a conviction authoritarian even if they've got no time for Naldorssens ravings, they grew up under the old USA and served in it's military but it was weak, that's why it lost the war. Their New America, the American Empire won't make the mistakes of the past, it will be strong and guided by a single, wise, individual, someone the see in the mirror every morning. So the emergency measures become permanent, a new Constitution is written. Service Guarantees Citizenship.

Last edited:
I can see the resistance fighters on the Moon hijacking meteorites to have them crushed on Drakia.
Not sure of the result however.
I wonder if technology will not regress with the various chemical, biological and nuclear attacks and the destruction of most resources and technologies around the world. I can see many regions going back a few centuries.

Why did China wait until after the Stone Dogs Pandemic decimated it's population to strike back? With the long incubation period, there should have been a window of about 1-2 months from where they knew they were under a bioweapon attack to when the mass deaths actually began.

This setting sounds like something from Twilight 2000 Rpg. Also, we have nor covered just how badly Drakias infrastructure and economy was damaged. If their armed forces have to forage for supplies things at home will be really bad.

BIG OOF. Seems Drakia was hurt by the orbital bombardment a lot more than I thought it had been. The societist advance was smaller than I had expected, thankfully. Guess that doom and gloom from the dice rolls was premature. Also Damn NETHERLANDS STRONK! GO HOLLAND GO! Though, I suspect that after this Dutch society is going to look a lot like the last days of Turkey: Crazy paranoid and prepared for the Drakian return.

Also, China's doing well. I'm confident they'll be back and ready for action in a year, with even more instant sunrise packed. Heh, the Situationists truly are going to be the leaders of the post-Drakia world! Heck yeah. :)<
The emergency government of the Czech State- already coping with the loss of a third of its population and barely in control of Prague- threw the American ambassador out a window when he tried to convince them to fight, and presented his body to the Russians. In exchange for a crate of vaccines, the promise of more, and some help restoring order, the Czechs became Drakia’s newest martial race and their country the Empire’s newest princely state.
Heh, always up to the old traditions huh? Guess being a "martial race" isn't too bad. Did this princely state at least get the Sudetenland back?
Though, in the Book of the Fallen update this was listed as the Fourth Defenestration of Prague. What was the Third Defenestration in TTL?

Honestly though, the Final War's ending seems a bit... anticlimactic actually. And not at all "final". Even in-universe everyone seems to treat this as a prelude to round 2 and even if not many foreign countries invade Drakia I don't see their collapse happening without a great degree of fighting.

Damnit Arthur Klein which side are you on? probably his own side. Given it's his "last act" I doubt his "Empire" will do much, but even if it survives I expect his Societism-In-Name-Only to turn its back on Drakia the moment things go sour. Probably its main accomplishment, aside from getting the Stone Dogs vaccine instruction, will be falsely convincing (the ruins of) Aurica that America's no longer a problem.
the deaths of so many high-ranking figures meant that quite a few people who had formerly been very junior (including a number of Honorary Whites) now occupied important offices
Well then, now doesn't THAT sound like a great way for jumpy militarists and egotistical Homo Drakensis to get into important places and send things tumbling down?

Surprised their was no mention of what happened to Centroamerica, given they were unique as the only country to roll a Nat 1.

Jeremy Dart's declaration sure seems premature. But when you sent most of the world into anarchy via bioweapon and still have only Iran and most of mainland Europe to show for it, I can imagine he's in a rush to drum up good news. Still, surprised the end of the Final Society can be dated with that much accuracy. Guess the fall is gonna be explosive.
I know that Klein is unlikely to have his Empire win, but in the event it does, what would Klein's Empire look like in terms of its ideology?
"Societism with American Characteristics" I.E. Societism in name only, with being a Drakian puppet in name only. A dictatorship that doesn't actually alter society much beyond that necessary to survive the apocalypse, and probably slides into a constitutional monarchy relatively quickly.

The next chapter will have a map of the post-war world, we'll also go into the damage caused by the war, the ongoing global ecological disaster (a long time coming, but the last war pushed it over the edge), the start of the anthropocene mass extinction, and if we have time the failure of the Final Society.
This sounds like it's going to hurt even more than OTL's climate crisis. Then again, with eighty-odd hiroshima bombs plus hundreds of low-kiloton kinetic strikes, and all sorts of poisons dumped into most major waterways, I suppose it's not surprising.

Though, hopefully the lower population in what OTL is the third world, and the earlier date, means that not as much deforestation has been happening. One can hope right?

Anyways, what areas did Russia and Japan gain in the treaties ending the "Final War"? Guessing Poland and Lithuania (or more accurately, what was left of both countries) were annexed into Antonovich's Empire while Russia and Japan partitioned East Asia like a pie.

Last edited:
So my money is that Klein has an angle, he's kept his country free, and his access to the stone dogs vaccine is a powerful bargaining chip among his citizens and the other countries, particularly China and their nuclear technology. Meanwhile, the Drakias victory is Pyrrhic, they've shown the world what their willing to do, so now everyone is going to be far more guarded for when they try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.